MTG Collaborative Commander #2

A Thread where we attempt to build a Commander deck that represents Veeky Forums's personality as a whole.

Last thread dropped off the board, so here's the new one. The results of the poll last time were rather interesting:

As a Player Archetype:

Johnny - 28%

Timmy - 26%

Vorthos - 26%

Melvin - 12%

Spike - 8%

In my opinion, Veeky Forums is the best kind of MTG player. We're not in it to win, or to construct the most efficient deck ever, we're in it to have a story to tell to our friends both on and off the board. We build decks with not the obvious win in mind, but the most interesting win, with crazy combos. We can take the loss, as long as the loss is interesting. In other words, we're in it for fun more than anything else, and we enjoy the story as well. To me, that's really the most admirable thing.

As for Colors... results were completely inconclusive. We favor Black, Red, and Green more than anything else(results were all within a single vote of each other, if not tied), but Blue was not far off either. So, with all that in mind, let's pick out our Commander.

Any Commander using any combination of Black, Red, or Green will be valid. There was discussion of choosing Gods from the Theros block as our commander, as well as building a Thallid Tribal deck. Personally I love Thallids, but the single copy format makes them somewhat crippled in EDH. We'll choose based on popular vote. I don't think we should insist on using a commander with all three colors, but that is an option.

So, show me what you've got.

Other urls found in this thread:

listmoz.com/#ZjZV19th6mtTBbWcp
untap.in
xmage.de
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If we basically got everything but white as a valid option, then why not opt for Yidris?

Shattergang.

Eh, Blue was behind by 4 votes, so I'm opting that one out. Besides, I've always found that 3-mana decks always try too hard, and it seems kind of like a cop out to Choose all four.

Votin for ulrich of the krallenhorde.

Karthus was the second thing that came to my mind right after Kresh.

I love the gods, so I'm saying either Xenagos, Pharika, or Mogis.

>A gigantic dragon
Fuck yeah.

I vote Mogis. Once a god is out on the field your opponent has virtually nothing that can get him off the field short of Exile, and that Passive damage is a sweet edge.

>Jund colors
>Dragons
>Interesting combo wins

Why not Prossh? He combos with a bunch of different stuff, is in the colors we apparently want, and can be built flavorfully. Bonus points for actually being able to win.

I say it's down between these two, but we include both in the deck no matter what.

>A Thread where we attempt to build a Commander deck that represents Veeky Forums's personality as a whole.

This is a pretty awful idea.

So are most Veeky Forums ideas. Doesn't stop them from being any less fun. Besides, it's not necessarily a personality as much as it is "Yeah, the majority of Veeky Forums thinks this deck is pretty cool."

Alright, so if nobody has any objections, looks like we're going Dragon Tribal.

I support this fully.

Alright, so vote, Karrthus or Prossh?

Karrthus unless we plan on sliding in Kher Keep.

Karthus.

Ok, so Karrthus is our commander. What are our win-conditions? I usually prefer at least four with various combos that achieve it, including at least one card with "you win the game," but that's just my personal preference. Also we need mana ramp.

You have a weird fixation on trying to get a few people to define the rest of Veeky Forums. You could have just asked to build a deck together.

We've moved way past that. Moving on to actually building the deck. Have any suggestions?

I mean, This is the obvious choice for any Tri-colored deck.

Bump.

Dragon tribal you say?

Definitely this.

I'm also thinking in terms of jund color options, Atarka World Render is good as a potential kind of wincon. Also dragon fodder.

Whoops, forgot picture.

Also we should include Dragon Breath, Dragon Shadow, and Dragon Fangs. At the very least they attach for free to our commander.

So, we'll need about 10- 12 rocks/ramp. Sol Ring, Wood Elves, Sakura Tribe Elder.

Creature Removal will be important, too. Removal is always important. Damnation, Blasphemous Act, Chaos Warp. Probably about another 8 pieces split between mass and spot.

After that it's dragon tribal support. Dragonlords Servant and Dragonspeaker Shaman. Although, I guess they could go under ramp if we really need the slots. But preferably not.

Then, we'll probably have a high curve. Around 4.5 average cmc is my guess, so 36- 38 lands +the ramp we have should be sufficient.

In order to keep this going, here's a list you can add card names to. Drop every conceivably useful card name into it, and let's build this fucker:

listmoz.com/#ZjZV19th6mtTBbWcp

There's only a few rocks worth playing in EDH. Mana Crypt, Sol Ring, Thran Dynamo, and Gilded Lotus come straight to mind. Paying 3 mana for something that taps for 1 is just really fucking inefficient. Play fucking Cultivate or something at that point.

That's why I said rocks/ramp. Those four plus Chromatic Lantern (we are in three colors, it should come in handy, but might be near thr top of the list if we need cuts) should be enough rocks.

>Chromatic Lantern
Don't fall for this meme card. It does nothing that Cultivate/Kodama's Reach don't do better.
>B-B-BUT MUH C-COLOURS
Fuck off and learn to put nonbasics in your deck.

Dude, chill. I'm just throwing around ideas. There's no need to get mean.

If you're going to be a dick about it at least you could tell him to play a ramp spell that isn't complete shit.

>4 mana ramp
Bitch please, why even ramp at that point.

Prossh

Alright. You've got a point, and mana efficiency is important, so probably not Chromatic Lantern, but keep the goal isn't just to create a good deck, it's also to create one that's fun to both Play and Play against.

Yeah, the classic 75% rule should apply here. We've got a tenative list going, and any suggestions should be added.

Ok, so when making decks I like to add a card that I refer to as The Joker. Basically, it's a card that runs counter to the opponent's expectations of this deck. Not necessarily something that doesn't fit or is out of place, but something that you wouldn't expect to see in a deck with "Dragon Tribal" on the description, and tends to lead to interesting combos. What might that card be for this deck?

really liking the new art for some of the older cards

How about this? Fuck Yes? Fuck No?

Eh... add it to the list. At this point no options are bad options, unless they're Nogales.

I really want to run a Noggle Tribal like none other.

Does he still count as a dragon though?

>combo that wins the game
dragonstorm with atarka, world render, dragonlord kolaghan, kolaghan, the storm's fury, and other various dragons

hellkite tyrant + bear umbra / sword of feast and famine

hellkite tyrant + savage ventmaw + heartstone / druid's repository / radha, heir to keld

>card that says "you win the game"
only cards we can realistically use are hellkite tyrant (with mycosynth lattice?), mortal combat (with some sort of self mill? hermit druid?), and epic struggle (would work better with prosh). i don't think we are running an infinite mana combo, but if we are we could use helix pinnacle.

Xenagos, God of Revels? although you can't get him with Dragonstorm, he is a great half of a Tooth and Nail.

maybe mass or repeatable discard, for the games we can't win with combo? myojin of night's reach / mindslash / pain magnification / painful quandry? mabe a control magic effect like ritual of the machine or enslave? mass threaten effects like insurrection and mob rule are good, but probably expected.

Xenagos would work quite nicely. Oh, forgot to say in the OP. Once we're done, I'm thinking of testing this deck out, using one of these:

untap.in

xmage.de

Probably XMage, as it comes with a Spectator mode.

Do you mean Hellkite charger, by chance?

>There's only a few rocks worth playing in EDH

This is how you know when someone is bad. Artifact ramp is by far the most broken acceleration in the game. All the ritual rocks are amazing,the signets and talismans are very good. Basalt monolith is decent if you are going. Mox diamond is good in slower decks too. the colorless two mana rocks like mind stone, coldsteel heart, and thought vessel are pretty good. Cultivate and kodamas reach are mediocre at best, i would rather play nature's lore, three visits, skyshroud claim, hell even farseek before I play that shit. two mana acceleration is where you want to be, and that is why artifacts are so much better.

This thread is pretty cringe.

How so? No worse than your average EDH General from what I can tell.

>from what I can tell.

What site are you originally from? I'm gonna go ahead and say I won't believe you if you say you're from around here.

Do yourself a favor, and lurk more.

I have. I do. I regularly contribute to several threads including EDH, 5e, GurpsGen, etc. Been on the board for about a year now, so maybe I'm a newby. But honestly other than the argument about Mana Ramp, doesn't seem that bad. Hell, even this argument is more coherent than half the shit on here, like the autist arguing about Florida, or our Elf V. Dwarf threads.

Bump.

yep, that's the one, my bad

Kresh

These two win me games.

This looks rather nice. Definitely a Joker card. Anyone object to its addition?(at least to the list)

Thank you. They almost never see it coming.

Ok, non-basic lands. Show me what you've got.

Besides the typical tri/dual lands? Haven of the spirit dragon is pretty cool, volrath's stronghold is sweet too. The green hideaway is great with the fatties we are running. Ancient tomb and temple of the false god are must haves if we want to be casting huge spells. Kessig wolf run is a good mana sink. We shouldn't run too many utility lands though if we want to consistently cast the jund cards.

How's our early game? What are we going to have in the way of defense while we build up our mana to fire off these dragons of ours.

Once again, you have a card? Add it to the list:

I'm a sucker for the vivid lands

why are there so many bears in the list?

But they etb tapped and have limited uses for multiple colors... why not just run mana confluence and city of brass? Or even just more duals, since it's only a 3 color deck