Gremlins!

What does Veeky Forums think of using Gremlins as a mechanically-minded fantasy race? Is there anything they can offer that Gnomes and sometimes Goblins can't? Are Gremlins an offshoot of Goblins? Are the three races in some kind of technological arms race? Is there anything we can do with Gremlins?

Gnomes as a race and not a magical force just end up trying to push into the territory of dwarves and halflings. One of them has to go.

But I could imagine Gremlins as Goblins who just spent generations living around Airfields, Military Bases, and Junkyards and just started to gain a fetish for machinery and taking it apart and putting it back together.

between kobolds, goblins and bandit-[playable race]s so don't i think it's necessary for an entirely new race that would function in the same way. possibly some form of "designed to be a mediumhard fight for low level players, and designed to introduce them to concepts that might come into play later" such as resistances to certain weapon attacks or magic. but a race? na.

Gremlins don't use their mechanical intuition to build anything helpful, not even things that would help themselves. They could theoretically build an army of robots to defend their homes, or an army of robots to wage war on others, but they would much rather use their skills for sabotaging the machines of others.

In my setting, Gremlins are driven by goblins.

Really, gremlins are sort of like anti-gnomes.
While gnomes are invisible spirits credited for everything that goes right, gremlins are invisible spirits that are blamed for everything that goes wrong.

This is a Japanese Gremlin.

Honestly, gremlins as "mechanically minded short humanoids" as opposed to devious little trap-making anti-tech fae, are essentially "tinker gnomes who look like goblins". Unless you want to give the three races very distinct fields - say, gnomes are all about the magic, gremlins are all about the tech, goblins either use both or don't use either - it's hard to make them seem viable. Honestly, I'd probably just have either gremlins/goblins as tech users vs gnomes as magic users, or replace goblins AND gnomes with gremlins.

Honestly, I'd place Gremlins as the combo, a mixture of magicians and machinists with Gnomes and Goblins handling the singular focus respectively.

Though honestly, I rather like the idea of Gremlins being Goblins that took Fae magic and ran wild with it with their machinery until it changed them as a species. I'm more fond of the modern Gnome status that makes them tricksters and illusionists more than tinkerers, so it's a neat little niche for Gremlins to fill in my eyes as opposed to the solely technical and alchemical minded Goblins.

Actually, I think that these guys would probably be used best in a Sci-Fi game as the setting's race of small, strange scientists. Humans just call them "Gremlins" because their innate curiosity and their "Kerbal Space Program" approach to technology makes them somewhat dangerous to have aboard their ships.

my seting has 3 large divisions of race each with 3 subdivisions

>men: humans, dwarfs, and halfings
>elves: high elves, wood elves, and gnomes
>goblinkin: orcs, goblins, and gremlins

In my setting gremlins live on peripheral, coolidh/dryish volcanic islands and resemble a mix of what greek culture would have been like if it just kept advancing mixed with southeast asian elements.

>>goblinkin: orcs, goblins, and gremlins

How do the different divisions relate to one another genetically/historically/culturally?

Have gremlins focus on sabotage: they make things in order to break other things.

>sabbo-tah-jay

They were created as a kind of "biological weapon" of sorts in a war long-past, magically engineered saboteurs with an innate need to dismantle, disassemble and destroy. In the modern era they continue to be a minor scourge to the more industrialized nations of the world while some clans struggle with their engrained need to break things and make something more of their lives.

Underrated post

make them a kind of fairy spirit thing that loves to fuck with technology. They do it not out of malice, but out of curiosity and a sense of exploration. They are fascinated by technology and just cannot resist it. The more complex the better, with a special love of things like clocks or flying machines.

Given their tendency to show up wherever you don't want them no matter what, maybe mechanics and pilots leave offerings to them to prevent the little bastards from messing with their equipment.

Perhaps it could be food like candy, or even toys or children's games to satisfy their curious and playful spirits. It is believed that as long as you leave something that will grab the small creature's interest and hold it, you will be safe from their "improvements". Activities like puzzles are better than simpler toys like a doll.

For bonus points, they don't even mess with technology, theyre just a small race of creatures that prefer the dark warm places machines tend to be. They intentionally try to not break anything, but are always blamed as theyre the only ones around when something breaks. The free toys and food offerings are just a bonus and worth an occasional cussing streak from the mechanic.

When I get a chance to run my homebrew setting, I'm getting rid of goblins and gnomes in favor of kobolds that come in one of three flavors: Modern Classic Draconic, Literally Spiral Knights Gremlin (as a fill in for dogbolds as well as gnomes and goblins with tinkering) and Pangolins Because They're Cute.

>Ctrl+f Malifaux
>0 of 0

Really now? I thought you were better then this Veeky Forums.

>modern Gnome status that makes them tricksters and illusionists more than tinkerers
the modern interpretation is the tinker one; the magic illusionist is the older version

Both were prevalent in AD&D.

But not in myth

Moderately-rated post.

>motie watchmakers