So me and the wife have been thinking about getting into warhammer. Should we go the 40k route or age of sigmar...

So me and the wife have been thinking about getting into warhammer. Should we go the 40k route or age of sigmar? I understand the rules are more intensive for 40k, and sigmar is "newbie friendly," at least what I've been told.

what are your guys' opinions/thoughts?

They are both pretty shit right now. 40k is marginally better however.

AoS is a lot easier (and cheaper) to get into. If you have a GW shop nearby go in and ask for a demo game of eitehr (or both). It really depends on which setting you prefer though, sci fi or fantasy?

They gave me a handful of Space marines, but i'm not sure if the wife will enjoy aliens, "soldiers," etc. I can see if they have some AoS giveaways.

Thank you for your replies

Both.of you should look over the armies to choose and come to a consensus. So, see which is played more in your area

Play any other miniature wargame. Seriously, they're pretty much all better and cheaper. 40k is an absolute mess of a game, AoS is missing about half the rules it needs.

play frostgrave, the cost is way less, rules a lot simpler, and you can share the box's of characters. i find a lot of women like it for the ease of rules, and by a lot, i mean 2

Don't waste your money on either.

>but i'm not sure if the wife will enjoy aliens, "soldiers," etc

For some reason most 40k female players either seem to go with Dark Eldar or Tyranids.

Dark Eldar are vicious sadistic drug-abusing rapist space pirate elves, and Tyranids are a gestalt consciousness of hyper-predatory doom from a galaxy far, far away. kek

But AoS isn't fantasy, it's more like "12 year old's drawings put together".

Sigmar's probably the better game by itself as someone that very casually games. The infrastructure's a lot better due to the free rules that have easy access to them and are much simpler.

I just don't like the lore of sigmar that much and I wasn't even around for fantasy days and 40k is still in its original universe despite changes over the years.

40k also has a lot more customisation options and decisions you can make when building your army compared to Sigmar. Often for Sigmar it's a choice of maybe three weapons and sometimes other options for characters but one is often not necessarily better than the other whereas 40k has a lot of upgrades and gear you can give your squads to be very different.

40k used to be the easy system for casuals. GW really fucked over fantasy with this AoS bullshit. My advice, don't give GW any money

Please do show me multiple 12 year olds that can draw better than Sigmar's art

Op you will not find any non-biased response here. Including mine.

Prior to AoS was Warhammer fantasy. Games workshop killed it off and the ass devestation from such an event has butt holes still puckering in reverberation at the mere mention of games workshop or age of sigmar. They will shit on the game, company, no matter what rightly or wrongly. Only you can decide if what you see you like. Aos players will generally stick to there own general since they are shit on from every angle anywhere else. The game is heavily simplified, enjoyable and quite casual so it is easy to play, there is some tactical depth and the community is growing for it, whether you like it or hate it that much is true.

For me personally it would seem a more viable option for your wife but what do I know.

40k has really enjoyable lore, a large array of armies and some really great models, but the rules at the moment are just a cluster fuck and there is a lot of scope for completely tabling (wiping out) your opponent without even particularly trying to. That obviously leads to not a fun game for one player (or the other desu unless your a total wanker) that being said there is nothing stopping you trying to balance games between each other but that would require a lot of knowledge of the armies and rules.

I would actually recommend something like Blood Bowl. I haven't ever actually played it, but it comes out next month I believe and is a warhammer fantasy football type game. You can pick a faction and paint them up to see if you enjoy that side of the hobby without spending much money and it being more of a board game I presume is quicker to play and probably more balanced.

>40k
Nope.
>age of sigmar
Yes, best models and best rules.

>and cheaper
>100 USD for 3 anime chaos knights

Just do 40k kill team- boom ez. It's 40 without games worshop hewing you into 1000-2000 point games.

thanks for your replies (and to everyone, shitpost or not). definately have some things to reflect over. I do hope she likes this though, she didn't keep up with me in magic (she got burnt out on standard, and I wound up buying into modern, legacy, aka alienating her.)

Hopefully she'll enjoy it

>ADVANCE THE SETTING ADVANCE THE SETTING. DON'T GIVE GW MONEY BECAUSE THEY WON'T ADVANCE THE SETTING LE JEWS WON'T DO ANYTHING TO THEIR CASH COW

>GW ADVANCED THE SETTING EVERYTHING IS RUINED MUH HEADCANON GW RUINED EVERYTHING FOR MORE MONEY ALL IS RUINED FOR THEM TO SELL MORE MINIS LE HAPPY MERCHANTS DON'T BUY GW

They truly cannot win.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lorefags are the loudest, being fags and all. Especially since they have tons of time to shitpost, as they don't actually collect or play the game.

Actual players don't want that shit forced on them.

40k is a mess right now. Not necessarily the basic rules (though they are more complicated than AoS), but the number of different armies, the special rules each army has, formations (take certain combos and get a points discount), and balance are all over the place.

Horus Heresy is basically the 40k rules with better-balanced, less-varied armies. You'd start with a Betrayal at Calth or Burning of Prospero box and get Forge World stuff for the rest. That does mean it's more expensive. But consider it - it's a better game and a good community that's more narrative-driven and less competitive. Great podcasts, too (Eye of Horus, Radio Free Isstvan, Age of Darkness, etc.).

I'm a 40k fan myself and hope they streamline it a bit in the next edition.

Better than this? Shouldn't be hard.

Play a historical wargame, don't touch Warhammer with a 10 foot pole.

What's the deal with age of Sigmar? Why did they change the name? Last I was into Warhammer it was just called Warhammer and the rules were more complex than 40K, not less. What happened?

WFB failed to sell very many miniatures and the company recognized that a change was needed to revitalize the line, but the leadership at the time was very hamhanded about it leading to all the die hard WFB fans being really pissed off.

Then the new leadership came in, fixed most of what was wrong with the game, and it is now becoming really popular, but still is not as popular as 40k yet. Even GW was surprised at how well it is selling, which struck me as a little odd.

>What happened?
GW tried to make their own Warmachine-like skirmish.
>fixed most of what was wrong with the game
Well GH just fix the most obvious holes like point system, broken magic (endless summoning, 1+ save etc), but it's still interactive diorama, not a game.
>and it is now becoming really popular,
Proofs? Num,bers in GW financial reports says that sales still falling.

Didn't you just say this

Yes, AoS better than 40k.

Is that a Nagrand?

>but it's still interactive diorama

So 40K is an interactive diorama and not a game also?

>So 40K is an interactive diorama and not a game also?
Yes, 40k overloaded by dices to be interactive diorama.

So there is no usual mortal races in AoS?

At the game stores in my area at least, there are a lot of AoS players and frequent tournaments.

The GH summoning/reserve system is actually pretty cool I think, and I like battleshock a lot better than morale.

>Proofs? Num,bers in GW financial reports says that sales still falling.
Yes in 2015-2016 sales did fall a little bit. They don't break it down by quarter, but I bet Q3 and Q4 of 2015 were real stinkers. The only good release then was Betrayal at Calth, and despite the lip service it got I am not sure it moved the volume they were hoping for. Beyond that, they repackaged a lot of models. It shouldn't be a surprise that the not-new-models had a lukewarm reception.

They haven't released the half year report for 2016 yet, so it is all just speculation from us. Still, I see people in the store playing games, so in my area at least, it is doing well.

Depends? They exist in the lore, but most don't have new models yet. They have released new dwarves though, and people hated them.

Chaos still have their mortals, and the bloodreavers (khorne marauders) in particular look fantastic.

Bretonians have been teased, but nothing's been announced.

>They exist in the lore
And how usual mortals suppose to live in such locations?
Also, nice Outland cosplay, but Blizzard maps still nicer

I'm not an expert on AoS lore, but some of the different dimensions and places in their high concept multiverse are supposed to be perfectly livable.

>in their high concept multiverse
You mean concept of "Todd's perfect TES game"?

There is water, food, and air. The Tauroi part is where humans live in caves.

Look it isn't all great, but since the initial unveil they've got some better authors on board. Check the AoS generals or 1d4chan since they pretty much always have people talking about the books.

>Nugatoria
sounds delicious as FUCK

It's the Slaaneshi part of the broken planet, IIRC. It's probably tastes of semen.

40k Kill Team keeps it small and quick but still maintains variation. I enjoy it and it is how I get new people into the hobby.
Also all the rules/codices are in the wh40k general here in tg...so the rules are free.
If your wife is on the ledge about Sci fi, show her the eldar (space elves). They're pretty neat.

Otherwise, AoS for your fantasy kick.

>At the game stores in my area at least, there are a lot of AoS players and frequent tournaments.
I hope you realize that this is just your local eperience.
>Yes in 2015-2016 sales did fall a little bit.
Nope they keep falling since 2013 (when they fell a 25%).
>The only good release then was Betrayal at Calth,
And a lot of AoS releases.

>food
In lava-islands?
>The Tauroi part is where humans live in caves.
They lived in asteroids?

>And a lot of AoS releases.
most repackaging and stormcrap and centerpiece releases nobody gave a shit about. I mean really, how many gargantuan 200 dollar centerpiece kits do we really need?

>they've got some better authors on board.
It's still lower than Warcraft art and writing.
Shit, I never thought I will see the day when GW will steal the whole race from Warcraft.

>I mean really, how many gargantuan 200 dollar centerpiece kits do we really need?
A lot since they making the game.

I don't think people even use the centerpieces in their army, or if they do, they include like one in a 2000 point list

As awesome as this dragon is, the only real use for it I can see is to have it look nice on the shelf.

They made a game then made models that were shitty for the game they made.

>In lava-islands?

The Tauroi doesn't have lava. It has wild animals and a beastmen.

>They lived in asteroids?

Kinda. Floating continents more like.

>whole race

What race?

>awesome
It's ugly, where is fucking muscles, fury, might? It looks like dragon with down syndrome.

You know the black orcs that existed in WFB previously? they gave them some new models with a slightly different art direction that look... a bit familiar.

These greenskins are not Black Orcs. They are a whole different breed of Orcs and I still don't see what you are implying.

Take a guess, and let's not forget about not-Ogres, not-goblins, not-Orcs faction.

fine, what about Alarielle the Everthighs, who never skips leg day?

Mind you, that is a 160mm base she on. She is really huge.

You don't see the resemblance?

All these factions are older than warcraft.

>what about Alarielle the Everthighs, who never skips leg day?
It looks like GW finally make first transgender model. If not then I cannot understand why they give female name to male model.

Age of Sigmar: 2015
Warcraft: 1991

You mean the mouth piece or what?

>warcraft invented orcs
I can't tell if you're being ironic or if you legitimately believe this

WHFB comes from the 80s.

Age of Sigmar has the worse models by a country mile. Its rules are better, but they're also boring as hell. 40k has better models and a way better kitbashing community, but the game itself isn't very good right now.

AoS has some orbiters from real Fantasy, but most of them hate AoS and its fans.

>WHFB comes from the 80s.
And closed in 2015
And I cannot remember such race as Highborne.

nice bait

He is claiming GW stole high elves, despite them existing in WFB lore from the 80s and being a stable of TTRPGs even longer than that

>or Tyranids.

We've figured that out. It's one part cutification, one part wanting to be fucked with a big alien dick.

>You mean the mouth piece or what?
Common design of armor and gian weapon.

It continued in Age of Sigmar which is a sequel. But you remember goblins, high elves, orcs, and orges which fantasy invented first.

>We've figured that out. It's one part cutification, one part wanting to be fucked with a big alien dick.
Imagine being inside one of these things

>is a sequel.
It's totally different setting with different races (well except humans)
>goblins, high elves, orcs, and orges
Cannot find such races in AoS.

So you are saying that warcraft stole from fantasy greenskins?

The desgin doesn't even look the same. The warcraft Orcs are half naked.

Now you are trolling. This is your last (you)

>Now you are trolling.
lolwut? Seriously I cannot find orcs or high elves in AoS fluff.

tradition. Have you SEEN the sisters of battle?

>Have you SEEN the sisters of battle?
New?

That's cause you're MERELY PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED and are purposely ignoring that we have told you that ALL the races in AoS are LITERALLY the same as the WHFB races. They even use the same models for most of them for fucks sake
"What are savage orcs"

No. All the old ones. pretty much every SoB model has a serious case of manface

>The desgin doesn't even look the same. The warcraft Orcs are half naked.
Sure.
Also, this model have a fucking Gorehowl

>"What are savage orcs"

We are talking about black Orcs who are never naked. In fact, they ask the savage Orcs to cover themselves because it's shame and they are disgrace.

>we have told you that ALL the races in AoS are LITERALLY the same as the WHFB races.
They didn't call themselves orcs or goblins or asrai they totally different and was created after "countless millenia" (timeskip between ET and founding of Mortal Realms).
>They even use the same models for most of them for fucks sake
Yes, GW was too lazy, nothing new.
ALso, they all (except rats) renamed.

pic related was from the same release and I don't know why they didn't lead with them instead, since they are a lot more distinctly GW orc/ork.

>created

They weren't created. Left the old world and settled in the new world and then changed their names.

And that guy looks a lot like a shitty grimgor Ironhide. What's your fucking point

GW made manage to made even more ugly model than Razogor. How?
No seriously, the boar is very poorly sculpted.

Yeah, in one of the first fucking bits of AoS fluff it says that it turns out that Sigmar's hunk of the old world wasn't the only one to survive and pretty much every single race from WHFB managed to make it out somehow, be it through their gods making the new places or the guys just hangin' on somehow

>They weren't created.
Fluff says they were created Oruks (totally original name, nothing simmilar with Uruks) by GorkaMorka.
>Left the old world
How? In ET planet was destroyed. And I cannot remember anything about great evacuation (except lizards, but they all died in space and in AoS they are spirits).

It ain't a boar. It's some sorta coked up superboar from the realm of beasts

There is even a story about two infighting Orc tribes that survived the End Times, made it to mortal realms, and then continued to infight for thousands of years. Their warbosses are not mountain sized.

Still looks like one piece of mold, they didn't even care a lot about legs.

>And that guy
Saufang?

>Fluff says they were created Oruks

Wrong.

Gork and Mork created only one Orruk whose name is Gordrakk during the Age of Chaos so that he can unite them. The rest of the greenskins were already there fighting everyone.

>How?

As the world was eaten, the Realm of Chaos teleported them to the the mortal realms.

That's the guy Saurfang ripped off. Grimgor's been around a long time

>The rest of the greenskins were already there fighting everyone.
Proofs?
>the Realm of Chaos teleported them to the the mortal realms.
So you admit that they was changed in warp.
Also, in ET all elves was eaten by Slaanesh and all dwarves died in the novel.

>That's the guy Saurfang ripped off.
Sorry, but I cannot see anything simmilar in their design except two-edged axe

No. Nothing got changed in the (Nonexistent) warp. And if you actually cared to read the fluff, you'd realize that the "Realm of chaos" is the old world after chaos won.
The elf gods later punched the bloated slaanesh so hard (s)he barfed up all the elf souls and then disappeared for god knows how long.

TOP FUCKING KEK
GW, pls.
>It has wild animals and a beastmen.
How? There is no water, no forests, it's literally asteroids.

You claim that he ripped off saurfang but the second that I tell you, "No, this guy predates him" you go "U-uh... I-I don't see any similarities but the axe!"

>Proofs?

Age of Sigmar book 1.

Orruk battletome.

Fist of Gork.

And from the Hunt for Mannfred audiobook series

> in ET all elves was eaten by Slaanesh

No, only the elves that died.

>all dwarves died in the novel.

No, after the Incarnates lost, the novel says that there were hidden dwarf holds in the planet. Why do you lie?

>So you admit that they was changed in warp.

Not always.

Because we ALL know that blizzard INVENTED the concept of floating islands.
And what are you fucking talking about. There's TONS of water there. It's just green for some reason (Probably due to some metal in it)