Could you make a wargame using Gundam models...

Could you make a wargame using Gundam models? I think the articulation could make for some interesting firefights (shooting over walls, physically hiding behind cover etc.)

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/223137030/armored-coretm-rts-a-real-time-strategy-board-game
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

You'd need to keep it fairly low-key as far as gundam is concerned. You'd mostly just have a bunch of ground-based mobile suits unless you're fine with space battles on a 2D plane.

Now that I think about it, FFs X-Wing game refluffed with mobile suits/Mobile armors would be fun as fuck.

I wasn't thinking the gundam setting in specific,basically just any mechas in that model style.
but mobile suit dogfighting would also be bitchin

Well you've pretty much got the two choices. Slow and beefy mecha would be more suited for traditional wargaming like Battletech or 40k. you high-speed jap style like gundam and armored core would be great for a dogfighting game, especially if a melee function was implemented.

perhaps you could use model stands to have different vertical positions?

I've been thinking about this for quite a while, but there's no way to get a streamlined kind of game like X-wing if you want to stay half true to Gundam.

Depends which incarnation you're talking about. 0079 through 0083 would easily be possible. It when you get to stuff like SEED and Unicorn where things get pants-on-head retarded.

I just think MS dogfighting should be more omni-directional, both in attacking and in moving. Whereas X-wing is very forward facing.

some rough rule ideas:
2 mechas per player(maybe a 1v1 mode aswell?)
mechas can be kitted out with weapons,armour and other stuff that cost points(maybe a 1000 per mecha cap?)
fights would take place on a hexadecimal grid
there'd be a hexadecimal pole in the corner of the map to roughly gauge what space they are in in the air.

YES

desu I forgot about the SDs,they'd be better than the normal figures for something like this

kickstarter.com/projects/223137030/armored-coretm-rts-a-real-time-strategy-board-game

Mech command try this

I was working on an idea that blended elements of xwing and warmachine, need to revisit that mess.

>kickstarter.com/projects/223137030/armored-coretm-rts-a-real-time-strategy-board-game
>Hexgrid
>Real Time
>Mechs
>They look like Metal Gears

The biggest problem is how big the models are. If you want anything resembling interesting tactics, you can't have models so huge unless you want to play on a basketball court

as previously mentioned we could use SD gundam models which are hella smaller

I would rather fire my own severed and barbecued cock out of a t-shirt cannon into a wolf preserve than use the SD models.

Aight then,guess you'll have to use 2 of the 51 1/200 mechs

Looks pretty good need to try it though

Why? 40K units are essentially SD anyway.

>Could you make a wargame using Gundam models?
God dammit I wish. I would love to see /m/ and Veeky Forums come together to make something that Bandai/Sunrise never would despite the absolutely huge range of cheap gunpla.

Assuming you'd start with OYW since it has the broadest model range, the problem you'd eventually run into is that the EF is horribly overpowered compared to the various Zeon groups. Once one-shot-one-kill beam weapons were fielded, the war was pretty much over, and while Federation suits continued to become more advanced and more powerful, while Zeon remnants after Axis were forced to use scavenged parts and designs to stay just dangerous enough to be relevant.

Hence why you need to go with IBO to set an even playing field were all MS are very durable and there's no beam spam or newtype fuckery

A HG is only about 6" tall on average. Smaller than a Riptide.

You'd need to print out some mini-robots, like 1/160 scale, and play with those.
As for the rule sets, there are several available and they all suck balls. Adeva borderline had rules and point costs to make a wide variety of bots, but it was complex and very poorly balanced. It could still work as a wargame with a lot of modifications.
There are several others available but they all feel too abstract and gamey. They don't convey the mass or speed of a mech.
Battletech could work but it is even more complex than borderline.