/5eg/ Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition General

>Latest News:
-New Unearthed Arcana: Bard Colleges: media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Bard.pdf
-Volo's Guide to Monsters out in the trove!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

What's the most memorable location your character has ever fought in?

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByGkZEpWx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

(You)
but the biggest systemic ones that stand out to me are the shitty multiclass rules, the fact that you have to choose between getting your stat boosts and getting feats (not enough feat slots) and the shitty guidelines for building higher level characters.
after that, i'd probably say the way the math is tuned is not well balanced for pvp, and i happen to like rpgs with good pvp mechanics. this one is obviously irrelevant to most groups.
>not enough structure out of combat, not enough tactics in combat
I can see that, too.

>What's the most memorable location your character has ever fought in?
On a storm giant's massive storm boat against a water-controlling aboleth and his chuul minions.

Can someone explain about about Familiars in 5e?

Do they always keep their stats, except for INT, so they never "level up" at all, rendering them super vulnerable?

Do the Chain Warlock "improved familiars" not level up at all either? Can I buy my sprite a rapier or other Light weapon to use DEX instead of STR for attacks?

All of the rules for familiars can be found in the find familiar spell. Chain warlocks can get a few extra things on top of that (more familiar choices, the ability to let them attack, the ability to see through their senses no matter the distance) but otherwise the spell has it all.

So no, their stats never increase and they are very squishy. This is by design. Familiars are supposed to be magical assistants, not combat minions.

I think the Gazer sidebar in Volo's does raise some questions.

Is Volo's the same as the monster manual?

Just getting into 5e, I skipped 4e. I heard that concentration helped fix buffing casters and fighters can somehow become full casters (the ultimate gish?).

Also, I assume advantage is the same as take 10 or an AoO? I'm just barely reading them, I wish like hell I could afford the real books, but poorfag uni student.

Maybe now I can finally afford the 4e books har har

If I'm going to be a Paladin with Polearm Master, is it worth it for me to take GWF?

rerolling 1s and 2s on a 1d10 weapon doesn't seem as useful as GWF on a 2d6 greatsword.

Would it be better to just take Defense? 16 AC as a frontliner seems a bit rough

Great Weapon Master works on Polearms too no? I may be Variant Human to start, take polearm master at level 1 then GWM at level 4?

The party needs a melee monster, party is my paladin a bard a rogue and a wizard.

I wanted to do polearm master as I figured that it'd give me an extra attack through the reaction thing and a consistent use for my bonus action that I could also smite with. Is polearm master with a glaive or great weapon master with a greatsword better for a pally?

familiars aren't meant to level up and shit

they're utility, not combatants. They are used for scouting and for stuff like "relay this message to NPC please"

There are several monsters in the MM and in VGM that can be used as familiars for NPCs or give extra bonuses as familiars to NPCs, but neither the familiar choice nor the extra abilities are available to PCs.

Volo's Guide to Monsters is equivalent in purpose to Monster Manual 2, with monstrous races and more stat blocks, but with an emphasis on lore as well.

Advantage is 2d20 take highest of the two. It and disadvantage (2d20 take lowest) are 5e's replacement for many situational bonuses.

volos is a supplement. Some new PC races and some new monsters. MM is seperate

fighters can become an Eldritch Knight, a 1/3rd spellcaster. Really good tanks, but you won't be using actual offensive spells often due to very slow spell slot and level progression.

Advantage lets you roll two d20s and take the highest result. It comes out to be a net gain of like +5 or something around that.

i dont have the book in front of me, nor am i at home. what is familiar hp in5e, does it scale up at all?

The only way to get a familiar guaranteed is through the find familiar spell. This spell has its own rules about how the familiars behave and what they can be.

To get a gazer familiar, you have to roleplay. Familiars obtained through roleplay do not have to follow the rules of find familiar. They are just not creature pets you can boss around.

I personally always thought a familiar was just for utility and companionship. If you want something to fight with you, get an animal companion or hireling.

Yeah from what I saw of reviews it might have some interesting ecological facts about monsters, I want to read it because I like stuff like that (like the GURPS splats).

Advantage seems like it could be pretty powerful, I saw something about certain classes can get advantage plus a modifier on certain attacks, though that may have been homebrew.

If martials can get toys that casters have had forever (looking at you, Fly), then I'm happy.

depends on the familiar?

something like an Owl literally has 1hp. Advanced familiars from chainlock has like 10-20 probably.

Like I said, they aren't made for combat either way. magical assistants.

There is no such stat. Familiars don't level up, and have hitpoints dictated by their mm stat block.

>net gain of like +5
Advantage is equivalent to +3.325

>If martials can get toys that casters have had forever (looking at you, Fly), then I'm happy.

a pure eldritch knight is capable, but it would take a long time. I don't think pure EKnights get 3rd level spells until around level 13.

If you want to be heavy on magic, bladesinger is a wizard archetype and is pretty good. Full wizard spellcasting with that.

Valor Bard is also good. Bladelock is bad.

EKnight Wizard multi-class would also work well. I want to do it some day but haven't had the chance

I know that's the actual math, but WotC considers it equiv to a +5

>not enough tactics in combat
how would you fix this? more powers that reposition enemies, and more powers that depend on good positioning? more options to let you rig a fight in your favor to the extent that the enemy can't do shit to defend himself?
in theory, what approaches do you think would work well?
>not enough structure out of combat
what kind of structure would you use? just bring back skill challenges? something else?

Yeah I figured it wouldn't be til after level 10 but I think it's still cool. I can't wait to have some time to read up on everything, really excited about what I'm seeing so far.

Can't recall if this is official or homebrew but I read something about a class feature that gave you essentially a ki pool that let you expend them to give your attacks extra actions like tripping, etc.

>no such stat
>the stat you want is right there in the mm with no changes.
>it doesnt exist, but its in the mm.

gj broski

Will I be /that/guy if I play a social anxious Bard?

EKnights by level 7 have second level spells though, so you could go invisible and shit. They also get the ability to cast a cantrip and make a weapon attack on the same turn, which is really awesome for awhile

For structure outside of combat, I'd love to see burning wheel's social combat. The wager system really helps otherwise shitty roleplayers roleplay well.

>familiars in 5e die in 1 hit
i mean, i get that theyre not combat pets, but this means if an aoe happens to come to close to me i lose my familiar basically 100% of the time.
am i supposed to leave them in town?

I believe he was taking about a global HP value for familiars that scales with master level.

3.333~ you mean.
13.83333333~ - 10.5 is 3.33333~

I've had a total loser/socially retarded/autistic bard on the backburner for a while now. Been waiting for a good campaign to play him in, but one hasn't come up. Just be sure not to go full autist and you should be fine.

Yes, familiars are fuckin' weak. Keep them out of combat unless you've got an owl that can flyby and then GTFO.

ah. pathfinder has something like that, right?

>am i supposed to leave them in town?
You can shunt them into an extradimensional space as an action. Most of them can fly off to safety on their own as well. It's not hard to keep a familiar alive as long as you don't insist on having them in combat all the time.

I don't see why this is an issue, your familiar can just be resummoned if it dies.

It's not past editions; you don't lose CON or a hit die or something if it dies. It doesn't even take you a spell slot if you have ritual casting

Still costs ten gold though, which can really suck in some cases. Lookin' at you, first half of CoS.

Keep them nearby, but out of range. Or if you're a chain lock, flying and invisible behind the enemy wizard.

That's from a homebrewed 4elements monk
Which I personally liked the look of a lot

Trying to make a multiclass fighter/paladin PC that I'm dubbing Samurai build. Only problem I have is what archetypes to pick from each class. The following are possible combinations:

Champion + Devotion
Champion + Vengeance
Battle Master + Devotion

>extradimensional space
is that a built in feature of all familiars now?

>Paladin multiclass

Disgusting. Wish there was Fallen Paladin mechanics.

Can you elaborate on how that works? I know burning wheel is supposed to have some great social mechanics but I've never read into it

>10 gold
>anything for a true adventurer

champion is boring. battlemaster is the way to go

Battle Master Vengeance is what I'd do. If you want true flavor for a samurai, battlemaster Crown paladin

frankly I'd MC bmaster for every martial if i could

>being a paladin who is also good at fighting means you've fallen

never go full retard friend

>Not honoring the kami as an ancients paladin
>Ever even considering champion bore

Just the way I play.

>You can't multiclass a Wizard, Paladin or Cleric after level 3 but you can Multiclass into a Wizard, Paladin or Cleric after level 3

What's more detrimental to your campaign, anime or furries

why though

probably anime but it depends

You've got normal persuasive type checks for little things, but for big stuff you enter social combat, which is like an argument. Arguments involve multiple persuasive type checks, which are chosen in batches by both combatants. Before entering the argument, each character or player sets the stakes, which is what happens if they lose. Stakes can be something like "I change my opinion on elves" or "I agree to the request". Players have to set stakes too, and these act as role-playing prompts.

but why

neither. full 'tards like this guy.

Champion is actually good for multiclass, so maybe if you plan to smite often, saving your smites for crits.

I'd go for champion+vengeance, because you're clearly focused on being some sort of damaging fuck rather than team support.

However, if you're going damagey, that means you want PAM, and PAM doesn't sound very samurai-ey.

Lore reasons.

Wizards have to be dedicated to their magic arts. One time someone multiclassed into a Warlock because it made sense in the story but that's the only over time.

Paladin's and Clerics are god's chosen ones and they wouldn't be too happy if you throw that away.

> As an action, you can temporarily dismiss your familiar. It disappears into a pocket dimension where it awaits you summons. Alternatively, you can dismiss it forever. As an action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you.
Yes. It's part of the spell.

>Being a fighter means throwing away your faith in a god.

There is nothing a man cannot do once he accepts the fact that there is no god.

i associated Glaives with weeb shit so I mean it'd work.

is PAM the best damage option for paladins? not greatsword with GWM GWF?

>Paladin's and Clerics are god's chosen ones and they wouldn't be too happy if you throw that away.

Training a harder at fighting things means throwing it away?

A fighter is just someone really good at fighting

The build is actually for a friend who told me he wanted to play a samurai. My PC is going to be a BM archer that will multiclass Hunter and Assassin.

Would the both of us being battle masters conflict or limit the party in any way or actually make us unstoppable?

The build will have him start as a fresh fighter who will be recruited or find a samurai lord where he would take his paladin oath.

That seems pretty straight forward

no problem with multiple BMasters

Be wary of overly mutli-classing though. You'd probably want to stick BMaster until level 6 or 5 at the least. You need Extra Attack.

If you're starting at level 1 multi-classing that much is going to be a bit dumb

There's a lot of nuance to it, because different persuasive skills have differing levels of effectiveness based on the progress of the argument so far. It's sort of like an extended paper rock scissors match where you have to choose what to throw over three rounds all in advance.

sup bitch niggaz

Paladins have to study and do religious/community tasks. They are like the police.

Fighters are like soldiers. Some soldiers become police but police never become soldiers.

>Police can't join the military
??

>It is impossible to do religious/community tasks or study religion as a fighter.

PAM is much, much better. GWM competes until level 11, but beyond that there's no way.

PAM gives two additional attacks - a bonus attack and a reaction attack.

GWM gives a possible bonus attack and an optional damage boost. This optional damage boost decreases the chance of hitting, which means that if your attacks deal a lot of damage, it will prove detrimental.

PAM also gives you more chances to crit and thus critsmite.

If you never expect to get to level 11 in paladin, you can grab GWM anyway and it might be alright, especially if there's a lot of low AC enemies.

GWM actually doesn't work well with GWF. GWF effectively increases your damage, and GWM works better when your attacks deal barely any damage in the first place. Absolutely nothing wrong with using them together, just means that GWM is slightly less great.

Did I say they can't? No I said they don't.

But a Paladin is a holy fighter.

Cool! Good to know two battle masters won't bump heads. Read somewhere some maneuvers favored melee and others ranged so thats good.

The samurai build I see no problem leveling to 5 or 6 in fighter before multi classing but for the archer, would it be wise to multi class to rogue after level 3 as a fighter?

Here's some possible possibilities for the archer class:

>Fighter 12/Rogue 3/Ranger 5
5 ASIs/feats, 3 attacks/Attack action, 5 Superiority Dice (d10s), 2d6 Sneak Attack, 2nd-level spells/slots, Hunter's Mark, Colossus Slayer

>Fighter 11/Rogue 5/Ranger 4
5 ASIs/feats, 3 attacks/Attack action, 5 Superiority Dice (d10s), 3d6 Sneak Attack, Uncanny Dodge, 1st-level spells/slots (3/day), Hunter's Mark, Colossus Slayer

>Fighter 6/Rogue 3/Ranger 11
4 ASIs/feats, 2 attacks/Attack action, 4 Superiority Dice (d8s), 2d6 Sneak Attack, 3rd-level spells/slots, Hunter's Mark, Colossus Slayer, Volley

Oh yes, excuse me. Allow me to correct myself
>Police don't join the military
>But some military join the police
???

Am I the only one that dislikes Multiclassing? Especially in 5e where all the classes scale well.

Yeah. If someone leaves the army they usually go do policing work. But a police officer is never gonna wake up one day and go "yeah the army sounds like a good idea"

Classes = Jobs.

hear me out here -

what if I went Variant Human and took polearm master right off the bat

level 2 I take GWF

then at level 4 I take GWM

would that just be redundant or would that be insane

if I'm going polearm master should I take GWF? does GWF apply to the bonus action polearm butt end attack?

multi-classing allows people to make more fun and unique/mechanically varied characters

why do you not like it? just because?

Classes do not equal jobs. You do not put rogue on your resume. You do not job shadow a bard for career day.

>taking variant human
>giving up 2/3s a feat

>But a police officer is never gonna wake up one day and go "yeah the army sounds like a good idea"

why not?

frankly senpai you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded

>You will never shadow a Bard

Damn just think of all the pussy you could get.

I kinda agree with him to a point, he may be retarded but it does make sense. In a broken clock is right twice a day type of affair.

No, he is entirely wrong.
Classes are groups of themed mechanics. Just because your character sheet reads Paladin3/Fighter 1 doesn't mean you've suddenly given up on your god (unless you actually did in fluff/narratively), it just means your training changed for a period of time to be a more martial bent. You're still a Paladin level 3.

For the 'I attack' 'I deal extra damage' 'I teleport' cantrip, you have to really look at it like that. You teleporting is part of the cantrip, and thus it is implied that anyone has the ability to teleport if they can get access to the cantrip. Variant humans and high elves can thus racially teleport at-will.
This is the sort of thinking 4e has, that 5e tries to avoid.

No idea for icy thing. Just more damage would be boring, and make it freezing ray but melee and thus more damage as it's harder for a wizard to use. Maybe 'half speed' is too much.

Acid and thunder aren't massively different. Caustic is much more reliable than booming blade, as having used booming blade I have had many, many situations where it still wouldn't trigger and caustic would definitely have triggered, and I would have expected it to.

Why would toxic do 1d4+1 damage?
If you have a +5 modifier, you deal 1d8+5 damage. That is more average damage than 2d8 at levels 1-4. Of course, you're much more likely to have a +2 or +3 or +4 modifier, but these are hardly very far off.
If you reach level 5, you get 2d8+MOD damage so you will always deal more damage than ray of sickness if your modifier is at least one.
Then, the effect is literally otherwise identical to ray of sickness' effect, but it's bound to a cantrip.
It's also very strong compared to Vicious Mockery. It's okay if it does more damage, but then it also has a debuff that lasts an entire round rather than for just one attack.

Back in 3.5 a Paladin couldn't Multiclass.

Well, GWM will still be alright until level 11.

Once you hit level 11, your attacks as a paladin due to improved divine smite will be so strong that often using GWM will actually reduce your effective damage due to -5 to hit. I believe you can use GWM on butt-end attack though, and that's probably the best attack to use it on.

Also, GWM and PAM compete for bonus actions.

Paladins should prize what ASIs they get, and variant humans are great for them.

The teleport cantrip seems very odd, especially since the distance you can teleport can vary wildly. You can go 5 feet if you teleport next to the target, 10 if you teleport right behind them, 15 if you do that with a polearm, 20 if you're a bugbear with a whip.

Have your familiar carry around mice for you to whip and you'll never need to make an athletics check again.

Inspired a bit by
I made
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByGkZEpWx
Or see the attached picture.

There are a ton of ways you can go with this (make it replenish spell slots, make you pick from a long list of abilities, etc), but I decided to do it via Domains because it felt cool.
The game is really hurting for Domains which makes it sort of hard and possibly lacking in some theme, but since all it cares about from a domain are the Channel Divinity features, it's not too hard to make your own Channel Divinity-tier stuff, as that cool Winter Domain posted showed.

Balance is a total mystery.

Even if it could only be used in combat and thus you couldn't do things like this, it'd be completely against 5e's design princples.

Shameless palyfag troll

How horrible would it be to do a Bard 6/Rogue 4 in a game that is possibly not going to get much past 10? Starting with Rogue, then 6 Bard (for that second attack) then 3 Rogue or something like that?

I expected it to be a lot more gimmicky than it is, but Satireladin sounds like it could be fun.

It'd be nothing special.

Basically just Valor bard with a slightly better attack for when they're not spellcasting.

The intent is to build a half-caster but my favorite list being Bard makes it hard to give up some spells if I'm going to play a caster at all.

Aren't Paladin oaths supposed to have 2 channel divinity options?

WHY THE FUCK CANTRIPS
WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE LV5 SPELLS
REEEEEEEEEEEE

Is there a pdf of the DM screen anywhere? I can't find it in the trove.

No, there isn't.

I am not sure if the question belongs here, but i think this is the most appropriate thread.

How do you solve the problem of repeatability in 5e? I have DMed pathfinder for a few years, but half a year ago we decided with players to try 5e. Played through a numbers of oneshots and elemental evil. And here is a thing - characters are starting to repeat. In PF there were unlimited possibilities of characters development - prestige classes, feats, skills, spells. In 5e there are only a handful of classes with a couple of variance in each, feats are extremely scarce and boring. By now my players have already exhausted most build options and the fact that skill system was cut out altogether for proficiency doesn't help either, making all their characters look like copies.

Is there anything we are missing or 5e has real problem with replayability?

>I want to make reasonable request to NPC
>"Roll deception"

You went through all the races, backgrounds, classes and subclasses in 6 months? I find that hard to believe. I also think you and your players' focus on being widely different mechanically is misguided, when you can have two characters with the same class and subclass and still be widely different based on race, background, and their general personality.

But if you insist on keeping with that mindset, start looking at homebrew, the DMs Guild and the like. There's tons of third-party stuff out there and some of it is actually okay.

I find it hard to believe that you've gone through every combo. Or is it just that you've used up all the 'optimal builds'?

Try making a character first and worrying about mechanics second.

>A number of one-shots

Playing a character for one or two games hardly constitutes giving it a thorough playing.

>Is there anything we are missing
Play a character, not a stat block.

>play a Cleric from Damara
>cast Tongues
>cast Command on creatures
>since Damaran is an agglutinative language (like German), any number of words can be slammed together to form a single word, allowing you to issue very complex and specific orders

Had a party with two Battlemasters.
One was a grappling-focused Tavern Brawler, the other a Shield Master.
>everything is always knocked down at all times and usually stays there

>Players that make boring characters, but twiddle with character mechanics to make them "interesting".

No one at the table finds them "interesting" but you. If your concept isn't great before you write on the sheet or math out your nova-combo, then it's already beyond hope.

That's what Tongues is for.

You are using a 3rd level spell slot AND a 1st level spell slot to make a 1st level spell slightly more effective.
Actually you are theorycrafting as you don't have a game, but still it's stupid.

You can keep forcing an enemy to do ridiculous shit with repeated casts of a level one spell. Tongues is just the set-up of the wombo combo. The rest of the time you're telling them to throw their +3 flaming glaive of doom into their priest.

Oh and how can I tell that you are a lonely theorycrafting sadsack that doesn't have a 5e game?
Because if you actually had friends to play a wizard with, you'd realize that Suggestion does this for a 2nd level spell slot.

that's not how agglutinative languages work, either, you don't get to combine multiple different nouns "Glaive" "Priest" into a single word that makes a lick of sense.

Just give it up, it's a stupid fucking idea.