Stat me

Stat me

Bisexuality Lv7

Real Human Being (0)

AC of Scarlett Johansson

essence: -8,7

God, why did you have to remind me about that

Then again, no anime girls actually look Asian, so I guess it doesn't matter.

can anyone stat her for shadowrun? I wanna try this out lol

Eh, she's a decent fit for the role.
They fucked up with Batou though.

I'd be more irritated if they skipped out on the philosophy of everything to be honest. Regardless I'm going in with zero expectations and just try to enjoy it. It looks pretty nice visually. My only gripe are the enormous holograms in the city, but whatever I can get over it lol.

cut the angst

Im going for robots.

>I'd be more irritated if they skipped out on the philosophy of everything to be honest
Haven't seen any trailers, but you should probably prepare for dissapoint. I know I am.

The idea that there's anything wrong with a person's cyborg replacement body not reflecting their original ethnicity bothers the hell out of me.

JUST TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF BRO.

ETHNICITY'S ONLY SKIN DEEP BRO.

I'm not complaining, she's not a perfect fit but she's still pretty good looking, at least in my opinion

Basically every template from Action stacked up, or at least Assassin+Hacker+Infiltrator+Investigator+Shooter, plus the Cyberdoll template with the Infiltrator Android lens from Transhuman Space. Basically any background lens sans Criminal is arguable, but Intelligence or Security are the main contenders.

That is entirely my point, I mean sure the people bitching online about whitewashing don't get that she literally picked her face out of a catalog, I understand you just see a white girl staring in a movie based on an anime and it offends them...

...but seriously, SHE IS A BRAIN IN A JAR, the body they stuff that into could look like anything.

She is a brain in a jar lol.

Like I said dude, I am going in with zero expectations like I do every movie I go into. Just wanna have a fun time

Also lol at all the people mad that they've potentially changed her origin story.

Which origin story? She has like three separate origins counting SAC and Arise iirc

Shadowrun or Cyberpunk? Sorry been a while since I've played either

Size/Type: Large Magical Beast

Nobody counts Arise for anything.

Magical Beast
Hit Dice:
5d10+25 (52 hp)
Initiative:
+1
Speed:
30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class:
15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple:
+5/+14
Attack:
Claw +9 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack:
2 claws +9 melee (1d6+5) and bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach:
10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Improved grab
Special Qualities:
Scent
Saves:
Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities:
Str 21, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills:
Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats:
Alertness, Track
Environment:
Temperate forests
Organization:
Solitary, pair, or pack (3-8)
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
None
Alignment:
Always neutral
Advancement:
6-8 HD (Large); 9-15 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment:

Thanks.
I appreciate the classics.

From the trailers it does indeed look like they'll hollywood it up and totally miss the point of transhumanism

Aren't we all brains in squishy, meat coated jars?

FASTfood

By show of hands, does ANYONE find these threads (and these owlbear responses) amusing?

Because I'm convinced that this is a subliminal form of shit-posting and subsequent self-wankery.

Pretty sure it's word of god that the Major prefers caucasian bodies anyway.

THIS IS TRUE

nice

I saw The New Movie and enjoyed it. However, I watched the other ones, all of them, and something just didn't click. I dunno what it was exactly.

>these threads
never
>(and these owlbear responses)
when the thread is particularly stupid, yes

We're souls in brains in jars.

>she literally picked her face out of a catalog
Hell, maybe she picked one she thought was hot - she'd know, after all.

Though that's an extra level of "would you fuck me? I'd fuck me"

I rather enjoyed Arise.

The big problem was everyone wanted more Stand Alone and it wanted to go in a new direction that wasn't Stand Alone.

She's also a Nationalist. So she likely would have picked from the 'Japanese' section of the catalogue.

It's also a common face type, so she would stand out less.

No, the meat jar is probably quite important too, beyond merely keeping the brain alive and allowing it agency.

The point was that they gave her a mass-produced common body to let her blend in easier and make her policing easier, is what the original author said.

In the 95 movie she sees her model dining in a restaurant and then not five minutes later inside of a clothing store used as a mannequin. I hope that scene at least makes it into the live action one.

what if we are bodies in jars???????

>In the 95 movie she sees her model dining in a restaurant and then not five minutes later inside of a clothing store used as a mannequin. I hope that scene at least makes it into the live action one

I always interpreted that as her having her existential angst I didn't realize her body was of some common model (particularly given the fact she's a government agent) and more disturbing that it's used as a mannequin of all things.

she isn't literally seeing her body as a mannequin,
it's just cut between two similarly-framed images of mannequins to show the audience that she's having a crisis of identity.

desu you could make a reasonable case that the woman she sees earlier in the sequence isn't supposed to be taken literally either, but that's more ambiguous. (i know if i was paying out the ass for a fully synthetic body i'd at least want a unique face and hairstyle)

I don't really care if scarjo is the major. My concern, and it was confirmed with the trailers, is that they are going to jam too many stories into the movie.

They are going to fit both GiTS and innocence into a hours and a half flick

Holy Christ, that THICCness.

>

Kek.

Not only has that joke been done before, but she's also not a robot.

In the original movie she brings up the only reason she isn't a robot is because there is still part of a brain in her head and she has a ghost.

The joke builds off that.

The existential dilemma of whether she is or isn't is central to her character.

She has no such dilemma. The blurring line between man and machine is certainly a theme of the show, but she is 100% a cyborg and not a gynoid.

In the anime she is rather clearly white, her body dose not posses any asian features while other cherecters do

They fucked up with everything.

It looks like they're going to go with a generic 'the main character must fight shadowy conspiracy that stole their identity' when that's not the point of The Major or GitS. It doesn't look like they're squeezing plots from the series and films in, it looks like they're forcing recognizable scenes and set pieces into an entirely new, entirely uninteresting series.

And by "show" I mean franchise, including the movies (though the manga doesn't delve into those issues much).

Is she? I never got the vibe from here, patriot shure but not really nationalistic.

You never got that vibe because he's wrong. The Major has never been a huge nationalist.

She struggles to maintain a meaningful connection to people she knows personally, let alone something vague like a nation. Ultimately, the Major isn't sure where she's aligned or what she wants, but, generally speaking, she chooses order over chaos.

Wouldn't she choose a common Japanese face just so she doesn't stand out though? It would make sense for her job.

But she works in a international anty-terrorist unit, based in japan but still international

They're right on it being a common body in the manga, regardless of how you take the movie.

Oh, yeah, sure.

Not arguing that Motoko wasn't originally envisaged as looking Japanese. She clearly was, and you have to be seriously grasping at straws to think otherwise.

She's just not a nationalist.

>based in japan but still international

No, Section 9 isn't international. They occasionally perform missions beyond Japan's borders, but they're primarily a public security division (it's literally in the name: Public Security Section 9). Section 9 is a Japanese organization made by Japan, in Japan, for Japan, primarily acting within Japan.

>international anty-terrorist unit

sorry, forgot to run it through spell check

I'm keeping my hands firmly planted on the mouse and keyboard.

They're not international though.

Section 9 only deals with stuff that occurs within Japan. Sometimes their investigations will lead to them operating abroad, but everything they do is about Japan and things going on in there.

What is this? A ruthless terrorist organization for ants, determined to rule the world?

The Ghost doesn't fit in the Shell

The major arguably doesn't have too much more than a regular human in the way of stats other than STR, and she doesn't have a real CON score because she's a construct.

Have you even SEEN Ghost in the Shell?

>implying cyberbodies don't have crazy dex
>implying her modded brain doesn't give her insane computational speeds
>implying her wis isn't off the charts with 6 different kinds of visions
>Implying the Major doesn't have a cha score that makes her sex incarnate

saved/10

I'm pretty sure in the 95 movie they explicitly say she has a Euro model body. I always took it (along with her general appearance in that movie) that she has a caucasian body.

Awareness: 10
Coordination: 13
Fitness: 15
Muscle: 15
Cognition: 11
Education: 10
Personality: 12
Resolve: 12

Observe-Orient-Decide-Act:10
Cool Under Fire: 10

>They fucked up with Batou though
I keep wondering, how difficult can it be to pick up a phone and call Ron Perlman? There, that's your Batou. For fuck's sake.
Takeshi Kitano as Aramaki, though... damn, that's gonna be so good. So good.

>how difficult can it be to pick up a phone and call Ron Perlman?
Seriously. Were they just afraid he'd steal the show form Scarjo?

He would, though.

Probably. I think this was a bad fit for her, or she's phoning it in, or something. Based off the trailers, it looks like she's going to be really bad in it.

Batou looks fucking awful.

Scar Jo is a perfectly fine actress to play the Major... If we are talking about Stand Alone Complex, but much like I predicted this movie is taking the easy way out and doing a shitty combination of 3/4 properties (The Movie/Innocence/Stand Alone Complex) with a major emphasis on the original Movie.

Actually a straight up adaptation of Stand Alone Complex would have been a better movie than what he have now but whatever.

Sadly Scar Jo is not nearly unemotive enough for that to work well. You'd need someone like a female version of Keanu Reeves and a director who is a master visual storyteller, like Stanley Kubrick. What we have behind the camera though is a man who's only previous work was Snow White and the Huntsman.

I never game a shit about Scar Jo being Motoko, I only cared if the team behind it actually cared about the property and it's clear to me that they really don't.

One of the big things that bothers me in the trailer is ScarJo going "nude" in her sequences. When the Major stripped it was always to use her thermoptics. Yeah, there was always titillation for the audiences (see also SAC and the Major's stripper outfit) but there still was a sense of purpose in the plot. Here, it's more like OH HEY SHE'S A ROBOT IN CASE YOU FORGOT.

The deal is, what exactly is a common Japanese face in GitS? The ferry sequence shows us at least two other bodies that are the exact same as the Major on the outside (presumably she's got Section 9 enhancements under the hood) so she may look perfectly ordinary for the setting.

I dunno, ScarJo's always come off as muted to me. It's just that goddamn smirk she does that ruins things

Eh, she's meh in the trailers. Certainly not who I would have picked for the role.

They look like they're going for a completely different route with Batou though. I'm not going to judge until I see how the actor plays the role.

Should've been Ron Perlman though.

As far as I've seen with ScarJo's roles as Black Widow she's come pretty close to the Major as far as personality goes, and you can defiantly see this in The Winter Soldier. She's at her best when she's playing a more light heartedly self confident commander that can switch to being serious pretty quickly.

Really my main gripe with her playing the Major in the case of the film adaptation is because her face isn't the blank slate that Motoko's was in the original film. She always looks like she's pouting.

For me, it's not that the actress is white, it's that it's Scarlett Johannsen. It really looks like they gave her the role because she played Black Widow.

The Major does get some smirking and snarking of her own in the original movie, particularly in her gripe talk with Batou on the boat. But ScarJo is missing that fundamental inhumanity, not that I would know where to find it with flesh and blood actresses.

Well, you're not.

Even if you were 100% metal, you'd be an uploaded human consciousness piloting a robot. YOU are not a robot, but your body is.

Approximately 300 points worth of GURPS stats, depending on how much the GM asks for players to pay upfront for being Cyborgs. One worth his salt would give a 150 point cyborg template for free

Thus hitting the main issue in the first movie. The Major is a human consciousness in a shitkicker blackops cyborg body. The Puppet Master is an AI that ends up developing a consciousness of its own. If consciousness can appear from a beep-boop brain just as much as a flesh and blood one, what really makes the Major different from the Puppet Master?

I think that might have come down to angling of the face more than anything else because the only time I distinctly remember her actually smirking was at the end when she's in the child's body.

Though yes I do agree that the Major's face needs to be more doll like for it to work, and also make the fundamental message of the film work.

If we're being pedantic, her origin.

But to me, the question is "Does it matter?"

A sapient being is a sapient being, no matter the origin. If you can think, if you can FEEL, you are alive. And that's all that matters.

Personally I think that it only really helps her case as playing Motoko, at least if her personality was more based on the anime, given that the character's kind of overlap.

>Doesn't look asian
>Motoko has no asian heritage by word of god

gb2tumblr

That's the Batou answer. It wasn't enough for the Major.

Overthinking will be the death of us all.

I love Batou. Really wish Ron Perlman had played him.

>Ron Perlman
>not Vin Diesel with a wig

Not OR but funny enough Batou's design is based off of Steven Seagal. Though ya I'd agree it who'll have gone to Ron Perlman, if he wasn't like 60.

actually she's mostly robotic

Sex: Male.
Yeah, I'm not kidding. Motoko Kusanagi is a fucking dude in a robot chicks body, buddy told me a few weeks ago.
>Transhumanism for the win!
Dare you to watch the series again with that information in mind.

Motoko is a girl, she used to have a real body before the accident that confined her to a cyborg body as a child. You can see in the SAC opening when she tries to hold a doll and breaks it because she can't control her newfound strength.

>Batou's design is based off of Steven Seagal
that had to be at least 100 pounds ago

It's been a while since I've read through Shirow's notes on the Black Horse prints I have but I'm not aware he's said she's not Asian.

1995, same year as Under Siege 2. Checks out.

Nope. Go back to the manga and try again.

>1995

The first serialized volumes of the manga came out in 1989.

The movie was in '95 though.

But Batou's design is pretty much unchanged from the manga for the first film. The second film, sure, I could see that. But not the first.