Do you guys ever feel pathetic for investing in your hobby?

Do you guys ever feel pathetic for investing in your hobby?

For some reason every time I put in time towards some card or board game, I feel like a huge loser who's wasting time. But if it's towards anything else like video games or artwork, I feel like I'm not being a total spastic.

Is it just cultural association with these things? Time invested against rewards obtained?

same

I feel like that all the time, so it's kind of hard to say.

Yes, especially since I'm failing at my studies due to my obsession.

No. I feel nuclear and wild. I want to drive myself as far away from society as I can. I want to bury myself in a tomb of a fantasy world where I can become anything I want, anyway I want. As people I know continue to disappoint and fail expectations, I only want to see less of them. I want to live in a world where the only person I can be disappointed in, is myself.

Does it feel awful? Sure. Feels sorry as hell. Downright gruesome. But that's what you have to do sometimes.

I've come to accept that even if I removed everything hobby-related my life - books, computer, RPGs, any distraction at all - I would still waste my time staring at the wall.

There's no use beating yourself up over something that you want to do with your life that makes you happy. Really, what the fuck do you think you would do otherwise? What would you want to do?

There's a paradox in that sometimes I lay awake at night, feeling like my entire life is going too fast, days slipping through my fingers, and at the same time I feel as if there's a constant emptiness and void that I will always have to fill somehow, that there's too much time to ever spend on just what I should do.

>There's a paradox in that sometimes I lay awake at night, feeling like my entire life is going too fast, days slipping through my fingers, and at the same time I feel as if there's a constant emptiness and void that I will always have to fill somehow, that there's too much time to ever spend on just what I should do.

I have felt the same exact way for the last two years. You put it into words perfectly.

iktf

Life is wasting time until death. At least you waste time on something you like

Every time I need to buy singles, I have to wait until my family needs to go out of town (as our game store went out of business, and even if they didn't I didn't want to go there anyway), then I have to find a game store (while my mom keeps asking "are you SURE you know where it is?), then I have to walk in, ask for the cards that I want, while my mom is "patiently" waiting in the car.

After I get in, she usually says something about "wasting money" and "other hobbies," while I just try to thank her for letting me go and buy something.

So yeah, I do feel pathetic.

money wasted on what makes you happy isn't wasted money

Video games are for spastics. Put in 200 hours on skyrim and what have you got to show for it? Nothing. One technical glitch and it's all gone

>>There's a paradox in that sometimes I lay awake at night, feeling like my entire life is going too fast, days slipping through my fingers, and at the same time I feel as if there's a constant emptiness and void that I will always have to fill somehow, that there's too much time to ever spend on just what I should do.

My man...

Well, maybe you have the memories of the good times you had playing the game?

Damn right

>Do you guys ever feel pathetic for investing in your hobby?
No.

Why would you? A hobby is something you do for personal pleasure. If it doesn't bring you joy, why would you invest time or money into it.

That's realizing you have no goal in life. Your time is valuable and you've done absolutely nothing with it, not even the basic "get wife have kids" stuff. You are a failed human being and your instincts are crying out that you've fucked up

No, on the contrary. When I invest in Tabletop, I feel like I've made an investment both in my hobby and my social life. When I spend money on video games, I feel like I'm failing at being a person.

>I've put about 16-20 hours into Fallout 4
>And all I gots from it was dissappointment and a fetish for naive french cyborg doctors

But I don't want a wife and kids.

Your dick does though

My dick just wants to go inside a vagina. The feelings may be meant towards the goal of children, sure, but it's not as if my dick will complain if contraceptives are used, since it still gets what it wants.

That hollow feeling, that feeling of time slipping away is your dick coming to the slow realization you have been tricking it all these years. It's been working hard for you yet there is no wife, no children scurrying about. It hasn't gotten what it wanted, and it doesn't understand how this could happen. Your dick sad and it doesn't know why.

Having both a wife and kids.

It's really kind of a pain in the ass half the time.

I feel like a loser when I spend money on cards, sure. But I don't feel the same when I buy a TTRPG since I end up learning something new through them in some way or another that I can bring to other aspects of my life.

My thesis is about ttrpgs, and for some reason the whole school is extremely interested in that.

I paid 15 bucks for the RPG I'm playing right now and I got 20+ hours of entertainment already with the promise of literal years of play along the way. Shit, that's a damn great investmet.

I used to feel like that, but then I realized that there's nothing wrong with doing liesure activities for fun.

Besides, if you spend all your time working, then you'll just feel bad for not doing enough liesure stuff.

It's kind of like the story about the two guys and the donkey. People are going to try and shit on your lifestyle no matter what, so you might as well just do something that you like.

Better to wasted you life on something you enjoy, than just wasting your life

I just spent a far too large portion of my check on Amiibos and I feel pretty bad about that, but its more due to burning so much money in so little time. I love wasting all the time and money in the world on my hobbies though, its what makes life worth living, dont feel bad about it man.

I don't feel bad about it.

Thats means you don't stand for your choices. You're afraid of the others perception of the hobby. I'm gonna go all teenager "fuck the others" on you, but rather, learn to present it in a good way.

I paint little plastic men. But once you get around assuming it's your hobby, and you don't spill your spaghettis, people will either don't care or be interested. You'd be surprised at the number of girls I bring back at my flat that marvel at my average paintjobs. Just be cool, crack a few jokes about it, say it relaxed you. Boom, done, next.

Learn to better yourself, and you'll see that most of your problems come from you being afraid. It's okay to be afraid, as long as you learn how to fight that fear, and in time, to turn a situation that used to scare you to your advantage.

And remember, you have a hobby. Most people don't. But don't take this in the "people are worse than me". That way lays self depreciation, one day or another. Rather, think "Hey, I do better than some! Might be plastic miniatures, card games, etc, but I have a passion".

My former boss in asset management was a fan of Veeky Forums stuff. It was his little secret, but you could see the clues in his office. I asked him about it, we started talking, got along really well, and bear in mind he's 25 years old than I am. What do you know? A year later I asked him to do a bit of leverage for another job and he helped. And for that job I had an interview, in which I spent 20 mins saying how I could be a good lawyer because I paint little plastic men.

You have a passion. Own it.

I feel pathetic any time I am not going to space or building nuclear reactors.
How the fuck do people not see we need to conquer the stars?

the penis is not a living being, user. if you think it is, seek help.

Everything is an illusion. Free will doesn't exist. Nothing has a purpose. Now let's go watch some TV.

I think you should see a doctor if your penis isn't alive

Fuck no tv is garbage.
I will instead spend 12 hours playing shogun 2 and planetside 2 alternatingly while frowning as hard as I can whenever I see something dishonorabbu

It was a metaphor

Call me Frankenstein, my monster is alive.

At least you aren't one of these pathetic weebs married with their waifu pillows. Is there anything lower than a pillow lover?

This man has wisdom, preach brother.
Preach.

I mean, it fluctuates with life. I didn't give a fuck what people thought of my hobbies in elementary school. Middle school and high school, a lot of pressure was on me and had to basically hide my power level.

But I'm a grown ass man now. I can enjoy whatever hobby I want. I try to balance my hobbies and other things but I'll never knock someone for devoting most of their time to their hobbies.

you have one life, who fucking cares

No.

Be true to yourself.

I believe in you, OP.

>Is there anything lower than a pillow lover?
yes, a pedophile pillow lover, like pic related.

time isn't valuable because there's nothing really worth spending it on. we don't know why we're here or what we can do to make the time here worthwhile. so we're all wasting time dying slowly. may as well enjoy yourself while you're doing that.

Goodness gracious.

Actual japanese Otaku.
They are the absolute dregs of society and what makes them worse is that they actually have an influence in the japanese entertainment industry, as opposed to pillowfucking weebs.

You know i always wonder where they get their money from to buy all those stuff

Parents, usually.

Considering a three episode DVD runs you the equivalent of fourty to SEVENTY bucks there and rents in cities are ludicrious, I'm wondering that too.

Either the neetbux there are insane, or the shame the parents feel is big enought that they just pull them through.

Everything is a waste of time.
Waste your time wisely.

Have you never heard the idea that men think with the wrong head before? Personifying your penis as a sex-obsessed other that your rational mind does not have control over?

>denying responsibility for your own lecherous thoughts

no, I feel great. I'm a straight A student at my uni and my hobby is awesome

The only thing I dread about the hobby is introducing it to the ladies.

the one before current basically said (who was nice enough)
>"oh no no, this can't be a thing, you're a grown man, it's me or all this shit"
to which I replied it's been fun, now get out

The current one actually thought it was cool, but she gets a little put out if I spend an entire evening with my head down painting, I'm still struggling to adapt from a *long* time being single and now sharing my life / time with someone.

We march towards an inevitable death. Every investment in any hobby is ultimately fruitless and pathetic. Everyone is a total fucking loser, and making games or artwork is just making stuff that will also die in time.

Therefore, the fuck does it matter? Have fun. It's the only life you have. Be a loser; who's going to judge you, the other several billion losers that have lived on earth?

It's not denying responsibility, it's a metaphor.

This fucking guy.

But if you can lay awake at night and think of depressive thoughts you obviously have some free time on your hands. Try to think of those times: when you think of the things you should be doing, what pops up in your mind? And why don't you do it?

Bear in mind "because I'm a useless piece of shit" is not a valid answer. "Because it tires me out" is. "Because I wouldn't really like to do it" also is, and is essentially the same answer. Feeling like there is a void to fill without any sort of direction as to what to do with it is usually a sign that you aren't thinking things through, that you're not doing what you would really like to do. It stereotypically happens to people who cannot stop and think about themselves at any point: men who overwork to the point of detaching themselves from their families, women who fear that stopping for just a second would mean having the family fall to disgrace, children that have been trying to please their parents from birth.

Why the fuck should you feel bad for doing something you enjoy?

I legitimately don't understand your mindset. Are you that easily influenced by the perceptions of other people?

You're doing exactly what you have chosen to do.

There is no right way to live your life. Nothing you do actually matters. There is no greater meaning. Absolve yourself of that responsibility, because it's an ephemeral construct that society has inflicted on you, and it is making you suffer.

Live for yourself, not for what anybody thinks you 'should' be. Doing nothing is a perfectly acceptable use of your time and nobody has any right to judge you for it, least of all yourself.

Name your game.

this guy's on point

I backed the Godbound Kickstarter. And I just checked, it was 20 bucks for the pdf, whoops. Anyway, point is, I got a regular campaign going that looks like it's gonna last the whole 10 levels. That's more than a years worth of play.

Well, I met my fiancee through my hobby, so I actually feel pretty good about it.

investing in your hobby is literally the best thing you can do. after base survival.

distractions keep at bay the truth that nothing really matters and everything is gonna die and be forgotten

Time you enjoy wasting, is not time wasted.
Not enjoying it? Do something about it famalam.

Praise be to this user!

Congrats man!
I hope you guys live a long, happy life together.