Horus Heresy General /hhg/

Beakius Maximus Edition
Rocketnought Sub-Edition
I'm a Rocketnought, burning out here in this metal shell alone! >HHG FAQs
pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8
Official HH 7th Edition Errata (Updated January 2016)
forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf
>30k TACTICA & TIPS
What to include in a HH list, how to format it, what makes each legion special (crunch), tactics, Tutorials for Heresy-era minis and more
pastebin.com/Tm2P4QLp

>HH Books, Novels and Rulebooks galore
pastebin.com/k9uvqsub
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2Ffz1OuHK%2Fcrusade-imperialis-army-lists.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2FZTK72gs%2Flegiones-astartes-age-of-darkness-army-list.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>/HHG/'s Legion demographics
strawpoll.me/10558764

>/HHG/'s allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

>Oct 16 White Dwarf
mediafire.com/file/zm71nli980zr97h/WhiteDwarf_Oct16.pdf

>Primarch Popularity Poll
strawpoll.me/11458318

>Other new links
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww98.zippyshare.com%2Fv%2Fe6VFn2St%2Ffile.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww116.zippyshare.com%2Fv%2Fd2D2z8mF%2Ffile.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww110.zippyshare.com%2Fv%2F1USI8Urn%2Ffile.html
mega.nz/#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ!LoBA0bqS
discord.gg/wYS2J6b
www98.zippyshare.com/v/e6VFn2St/file.html

WIP Iron Warrior heavy bolter guy.

Put together some of my first resin kits today

Fuck me that was painful

>unprimed bolter

>no primer

What are you some kind of loyalist?

I'm pretty sure it's been primed. Look at the base. He used a grey primer. One can of primer I had dried in exactly the same colour as the plastic.

Instead of instant death, when the S of an attack is at least double of the targets T, each unsaved wound inflicts 2 wounds instead of one.

Plastic-colored primer. The perfect disguise.

Are EW still immune?

In HH games, are you allowed more than 1 allied detatchment? Want to run Cybernetica with Knight and Reductor allies in 4000pt+ games, but do I have to pick one of the last two or can I ally in both?

Nope, only one. But you can bring a Knight as a Lord of War. It won't have the Noble ranks rule, but at least you don't need to bring like 2-3 Knights as an allied detachment

No, but in your case you can take 1-2 knights as a LoW.

What book are the shattered legion rules in?

OK then, I guess House Malinax will do that, then. At least if I run them as Mechanicum knights I can give them IWND with an Archimandrite.

Book 6 Retribution IIRC

Book 6: Retribution.

A LoW slot is it's own detachment.

Whats the best way to kit out Cataphractii terminators? I have a unit with all LCs, so something different.

If I want to play a mixed force of loyalist Alpha Legion and Death Guard. Am I better off just having Primary AL and an allied Death Guard detachment, or using shattered legion rules? Yeah, Shattered Legion needs your opponent's permission but that won't be an issue.

Nice

Not one, but two (2) Bitter Boys in progress! I need to get my hands on some barbed wire or the equivalent on amazon for my bases.

I don't know, I play pure AL so I didn't even read the shattered legions rules

power fists and a chainfist here or there. Combi-plas if you have the points to spend

I've been looking at a squad with Volkite chargers and a lightning claw, the claws reroll wounds and the deflagrate means you should be able to use the unit as an effective force without it being easy to tarpit. They'll also make decent headhunters for high wound units.

Oh yes, it is. Damn.
I guess I'm sticking with my one Warden and focussing on my Taghmata Xana air wing. Two Lightnings should do the job of a Knight Errant, and I can buff them. I do need an anti-air solution for smaller games, though. Anyone solved the problem of killing Storm Eagles at 2k?

Depends what you want to do.

Nice paintjob and man I love the model.

Anyone tried cutting the crozuis off and replacing it with a power sword or something?

So, Lords of War are unaffected by RoWs, LA, WTs or anthing, right?

I replaced the end with the blade of a power sword, looks like a power-polearm. I changed the head to a regular MK4 too, will probably use him as a saboteur or praetor.

>in progress!
I don't know. If you paint him UM colour you don't really need to assemble him :^)

Well, sometimes they do get buffs from being an (X) allied detatchment, so if they were allied to Ordo Reductor, for example, they would gain the Walkers In Ruin bonus.

However, they aren't affected by RoW, WT or Primarch/Consul buffs, no.

Let's consider the difference if we chose yes or no.

Primarchs would still be immune. Salamanders praetors would still take 2 wounds on a hit instead of one, so essentially they require 2 power fist hits to kill instead of 3. Normal praetors would also go to 2 hits instead of just 1.

Unless you're Ferrus Manus in which case you do effect it

Thanks! I have two of these Kurtha Sedd models and I think I'll try to turn the other one into a Moritat or something. The Crozius arm is really easy to change up because of how the wrist is curled away from the wrist-guard of the bracer. Maybe I can slap on one of the Volkite pistols from BoP.

Point, they get it if it specifies "army" not "detachment".

Most LoWs are Fearless and Move through Cover already.
You do make a point. Primarchs affect the rest of their army, but then again this is a special rule. Would it work both ways? Would a Salamander Knight become Obsidian wrought?

Still plugging along on this chap. So far so good.

That they are, but they do get the bonus even if it's mostly useless. If they eventually release a Cybernetica LoW or move Scoria to there (which should def. be done) you could give it +1I/24" range Cortex Controllers, despite the CC being detatchment-based, so entirely useless in a LoW slot.

>If they eventually release a Cybernetica LoW
I'm still waiting on Reductor exclusive Lords of War. Originally the Mechanicum was going to be an ally-only faction, and the Reductor was going to be LoW only as the Autokrator does today.

Shade your metals before doing the chevrons. You are going to shade that right?

Draw your chevrons on with a sharp pencil first, so you dont fuck it up like on the kneepad. Shoulder looks decent enough though, needs to be tidied up.

Oooh, I did not notice that. Maybe they put the Minotaur in the wrong slot for once?

I'm personally hoping for a support LoW.
In my mind it works as essentially an Ordo Reductor Spartan or Mastodon, but packs less armour and weapons and gives buffs to nearby units, and maybe projects some Void Shields or something, so you can supplement your rather one-track shooty army.

Carry a bunch of Ursarax, Vorax and Myrmidon Destructors to range, then sit there throwing out buff bubbles.

Flat

F
L
A
T

Also that shade of yellow is not doing you any favors

Well lots of things have changed since HH1, which is where the image is from. So, if Minotaurs and Malcadors are Heavy support units, I can't even imagine what an Ordo Reductor-exclusive Lord of War would be.

I imagine expensive, expansive and impractical. Dammit.
Although if it does work, I would be even more interested in starting a proper reductor force, rather than the Magos, Thallax and 2 arty tanks I currently ally to my Cybernetica.

They look damn cool, and now I have all the robots I want. Perhaps I'll start them for Christmas.

When will the Thanatar Cynis get its model? Just imagine, a symmetrical Thanatar...
Rite of destruction shooting so much plasma it runs the risk of burning itself, firing 8 S8 AP2 small blasts.
And then you grab the Cortica Primus...

So basically just rewrite the rule to take the one thing Salamanders Praetors have going for them. Your butthurt is showing.

Use masking tape son. It's 2 mins more of preparation, but a loooot of time saved on the painting part and a much better result. Don't forget to paint the edges of each stick of tape yellow so that it acts a shield that prevents black paint from going under the tape and ruining the job.
And don't forget a wash, like cassandora yellow, it'll look better, I'm about to apply mine.

Now, now user, that's not true. They can also master-craft their paragon blade for a whole 10 points less than other praetors.

I freaking love the yellow on there

I generally haven't found masking tape to be necessary. I might use some for my dreadnought, but for anything smaller than that, I just don't think it's worth it.

TEe bee H I was thinking more of just letting eternal warrior ignore it since that would effect literally just Salamander Praetors. The idea is just to make generic praetors (and thallax I guess) a bit harder to one shot.

I do want a model for that, but it's hardly LoW calibre compared to the regular Thanatar. I imagine it with guns like the shoulder mounts on the Warlord Titan, but smaller.
I kind of want the LC LoW to be a giant multi-legged bot, not bipedal.

Thinking RE. that, the OR can SQUADRON Minotaurs in a HS slot. How powerful would something that comes as only 1 in their LoW be?

Wash applied, still have some highlights to do.

was it an overall wash? You want to do a recess wash now, to give it more depth, just paintt it into the recesses before you highlight.

Yup, all over. I do the hazard striping with the Army Painter Agrax Earthshade equivilant. I actually prefer to keep the metallic dark like I have it.

Yeah, that's helped. Looking considerably better now.

Did a little highlighting that doesn't show up in the photo. Except for varnish, I'm calling this guy done.

Washes are amazing. GW pushing the washes changed the game.

>user did a whole mini while I barely did my basecoats
Christmas and an airbush can't come soon enough.

I'm guessing thus is one of the new BoP mk3? How are they? The mrs is getting me a box for Christmas and I'm super excited to finally have hands on plastic mk3.

any word on when the angel is getting his forgeworld model? only other primarch i'd be interested in besides vulkan

After Magnus.

Future primarch models will be plastic. See DP Magnus.

I wouldn't count on that. Heresy and 40k have quite different Primarchs after all (all those daemon princes weren't around during the Heresy), and a majority of them are simply dead in 40k, so we'll still be getting resin 30k versions and where appropriate plastic 40k models.

After Inferno next HH book have to be about Signus Prime and Thramas Crusade. So Sanguinius 100% and probably Lion beating Curze.

Not likely. Demon Magnus is part of 40k's current storyline, has options, and comes on a normal base. FW will want to finish up their character series with all the primarchs.

Who do you think will be Blood Angels special characters, except Sanguinius of course.

I bet Azkaellon, Amit and probably Raldoron.

Those three seem pretty solid choices, though I wouldn't rule out forgeworld giving us an OC donutsteel character who's never been heard of before instead of one of them.

Alright here's my gimmick list made out of most of the terminators I've ended up adopting

Apologies for the phone notes formatting

Alphawing 2000 points

dynat: 200, pride of the legion

Troops:

10 tartaros terminators with 9 power fists, 1 chain fist, 1 power dagger, grenade harness, banestrike ammo, one plasma blaster and one auto cannon: 445

10 Lernaens with 3 power fists, 2 chain fists and 5 axes, 1 power dagger, venom spheres, Spartan with flare shield, armored ceramite and havoc launcher: 860

5 terminators, 5 combi weapons, 3 power fists, 2 chainfists, power dagger, land raider with Pintle mounted multi melta, dozen blade and extra armor: 495

2000/2000

I set up two vehicles and nothing else at 2000 points.

DESU it's probably shit but God damn its Patrician as fuck.

Yup, they're the Prospero marines. I think they're fantastic. The only things I don't like about them is that they don't come with enough holstered bolt pistols or mag pouches for all of the marines (I think it's like 7 of each). And as a strictly personal quibble, I don't like how shallow the eyes are. I've got a squad of FW Mk.IIIs and the eyes are set so deep there's no point in painting them, which is why I paint the plastic marines with black eyes.

lol, no, you fucktard

Hold up, do you not get the yellow done fist, masking tape off the model then spray it leadbelcher? that's what I do

Why the Havoc Launcher?
>I set up two vehicles and nothing else at 2000 points.
I don't know. At least they're tough vehicles.

...No. I don't spray prime becaude I paint one minu at a time and in detached pieces so it's a waste of money,. I brush prime everything black, then brush leadbelcher everyfuckingwhere, then start putting yellow. Definitely thinking about brush priming grey though, black shows like a bitch through...well everything, so leadbelcher as well.

Because I figured it would look cool and I was struggling to think of an extra 15 points to spend that wasn't going to be more powerfists

oh, my method is spray black, spray white, paint yellow parts, mask off, spray lead, paint black over tape, then finish the rest of the model

Do keep in mind that most metallic paints will look best against a black background, on grey it won't be as shiny most of the time.
This is especially true for airbrush paints, but goes for normal acrylic paint as well.

Ah shit, oh well.
Little question about airbush. I'm getting one for christmas. You still need to prime your model before spraying your basecoat right?

Thousand Sons Theoretical rules based on my guesstimation:

Some sort of psyker upgrade for characters that lets them become ML1 and only get the primaris. Another one for ICs/ or a Sorcerer Consul.

The Plastic Rubrics make me think they may have access to the Iliastus AC.

Some fancy Terminator unit lead by a sorcerer of some sort.

Maybe Sorcerer Covens.

What else do people think?

The assault cannon (or whatever it is) is one of the few pieces in the set with a clear tzeentch symbol molded on. As a result I kind of suspect 30k TSons won't be able to take it, given the rules in Inferno will probably be for the legion before they fully get their chaos on.

I'm very interested in finding out the rules of the terminators' chainkhopeshes though.

Yes, you'll still need to prime.
However, there are airbrush primers available, which are quite a bit easier to use than the canned ones.

My personal preference goes to Vallejo's surface primers, which come in quite a few colours and offer a good coat to work from.

If I had to guess, they're representing power weapons, nothing too special.

Yeah, I use these as brush ons already. Black is very goo, two thin coats and you're good to go, although you shouldn't scrape the mini too much.
Grey is okay.
White is a mess. It's super liquidy no matter how much I shake it. At least it won't clog the airbrush.

I wager that Independent Characters (aside from the Librarian Consul of course) can be given ML 1, and then the two special Units (Scarab Occult Terminators and something else) will have Brotherhood of Psykers.

That'd be a little annoying as they talk about the new assault cannons the Scarab Occult are using in "A Thousand Sons", which replaced the old rotary cannon but the TS continued to call them "Reaper" cannons because of the ritual significance of the name.

those are just reaper autocannons user, its regular wargear for the marine legions

>Thramas Crusade
>and probably Lion beating Curze
REEEEEEEEEE

Are the Tartaros footsloggin or what?

any master of mankind spoilers?

FUCK. OFF. The book isn't even out yet, just stop fucking asking, at least until the 26th. Stupid wanker.

Thramas was a draw.

The Emperor is a good scientist and general but failed to pick up good parenting techniques in his 36,000 years of living.

If we get Papa Sangy and Lion in Book 8 who is left at that point? Just the Khan and the Emperor?

Dynat gives them deep strike

I find it difficult to place mags and pistols on the mk3 because of the extra leg armour plates.

The Emperor is the fifth major chaos god

Airbrushed the resulting coats tend to be a little more solid than when painted by hand, but other than that I agree with your conclusion.

For white I often substitute Desert Tan (as it's a very light bone colour) and work up from there, results in a slightly warmer hue too.
If I'm going for an entirely metallic base then I usually prime with Gloss Black primer (their newest) as it results in the shiniest metal.

Ooh, never mind then.

Shit, the Emperor is Malal?

No they weren't, in A Thousand Sons it is very much clear that it are gatling guns. The impression I got was that it are just assault cannons that the Thousand Sons called 'Reaper cannons' because muh wordplay.

In 40k he is, after recieveing the adoration of a trillion (quadrillion?) humans. The Sister's miracles are fuelled by their faith.

u made