ITT: North America is a Tolkienesque fantasy setting

ITT: North America is a Tolkienesque fantasy setting.

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/2436185/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I look forward to America being fully fleshed out with plenty of detail for every state and city while all of Canada becomes "Generic Ice Land with Ice Barbarians"

Now that's the spirit!

At least you don't live in the Ohio Woodlands.
Fun Fact:
Ohio is Elven for Gross, Bug- Infested Bowl.

Druid activity in northern California would be off the charts.

>Upper Peninsula nothing but solid forest.

Yeah, that's pretty much correct.

The sheer vast emptiness of the Plains would make for a good area for encounters. You could see anything approaching from miles away.

We can't miss the opportunity for dwarf voyageurs and lumberjacks.

Do I get to have buddy cop adventures with a sasquatch?

I wonder if we could have an adventure path where the PCs ride a boat up and/or down the Mississippi.

We could have some absolutely gigantic hexcrawls. The PCs could be exploring the Louisiana Purchase, fending off attacks from bears, hunting for pelts, trying to convince native peoples to join the union, documenting all the cool natural stuff they find. They could also be part of some of the first colonists' attempts to map everything out, or explorers going through the west looking for gold. For the best effect, one would probably have to zoom in on a particular region and put in an absurd level of historical, ecological, and geographic detail.

Then there's also the possibility of having the PCs be a fictionalized irregular force in the revolution, going around stabbing redcoats and setting buildings on fire for the duration of the war. Or have a similar idea going on in the French and Indian war too, which could be fun because it's not as well-explored in fiction.

If we're including central america, there's loads of cool stuff to do there. Doubly so if we include fictional monsters, spirits, and divine entities native to that region. We could have the PCs as a motley band of natives and migrants, going around fighting monsters and undesirables hailing from both sides of the Atlantic, including corrupt mercenary-captains, murderous high-chiefs, crazed inquisitors, and mad priests. Could even have central-american apocalypse myths play into it, where some stars start turning into gigantic monsters and threatening humanity itself.

It seems like there's enormous potential for RP in fantasy America.

we might as well have some fun before pol shows up

We did this already.

8 years ago!

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/2436185/

I was in the damn threads!

Canada really isn't all that interesting though. Hell, the most interesting (read: most unlike the American states that border it) part of the country barely even wants to be associated with it. Only Canadians would disagree with me.

Newfags don't know of the works of the oldfags, thus things repeat.

Whites = Elves
Jews = Dorfs
Mexicans = Hobbits
Blacks = Uruk-Hai
Indians = Orcs
? = Humans
? = Trolls

WHO IS TOM BOMBADIL?

Oldest and Fatherless.

It's as boring and hashed as America is right now

The End.

>WHO IS TOM BOMBADIL?
Ron Paul.

Xcrawl by goodman games has the North American Empire a pseudo modern fantasy setting where player characters are extreme athletes participating in television dungeon crawls for thousands of dollars in fabulous prizes.

The Running Man + D&D + Smash TV

Where Canada is neatly carved up for American morons to feel special.

Always a pleasure.

I have a question. Why are Americans so fucking egocentric they need to center everything on them?

You're a super young state with no history so you tried to fill gaps with tall tales that don't sound very good.

You ever wondered why no "American fantasy" caught on?

Because Americans are the most boring people in the world, as is their country.

You can travel the length and bredth of the country, and it's all fundamentally the same, All that changes are superficial names of sandwiches.

fuck off Canada, you're basically exactly the same as us except you pronounce words wrong

Why does every other nation on Earth constantly think about us? Why are foreigners so uncaring about their own nations? Sad!

>Where Canada is neatly carved up for American morons to feel special.
America is carved up as well, mate.

>Why are Americans so fucking egocentric they need to center everything on them?
Because they're the world's superpower and most of the media consumed globally is American? Even your shitty "artists" like CĂ©line Dion and your shitty """"""""""artists"""""""""" like Justin Bieber need to become famous in America before the rest of the world notices them.

>You're a super young state with no history
As opposed to a frozen tundra with no history?

>You can travel the length and bredth of the country, and it's all fundamentally the same
Oregon is more different from Texas than it is from BC, Maine is more different from California than it is from the Maritimes.
I'm not even America but I can fucking smell your butthurt. Shut up and accept that the rest of the world will always see you as Blue State Alaska.

I'm not Canadian though. I just find your blatant need to try and dickwave Canada down a peg hilariously cute.

Because you're the richest nation in the world with the least richest History. The best you can muster are tribal scribblings But you went and near genocided them out of existence.

I mean look at this thread, What are people going to talk about

>Muh Swamp things
>Muh Bigfoot
>Muh Aliens
>Paul bunion and his big ass blue cow
>Muh Wendigos

And that's it, exhausted the shallow pool of Folkloric items Americans stew up and you're left with fuck all.

You ever wondered why Robert E. Howard based his Hyborian books on a Pre-historical World and not a "Fantasy America" Because he could never pull a JRR Tolkien. He simply did not have the raw material.

>Oregon is more different from Texas than it is from BC, Maine is more different from California than it is from the Maritimes.

They're literally not, Americans act the same with the same bland culture everywhere.

>Where Canada is neatly carved up for American morons to feel special.

It's not like Canada is exempt from provinces wanting to meme themselves out of confederation. Quebec in particular, but we've also got to put up with fucking Alberta bitching and moaning all the time.

>least richest History
most impoverished

How triggered are you right now? Are you mad that we, with absolutely no history, are more important than you? Why are you so salty?

>dickwave Canada down a peg
There isn't even a peg to knock Canada down from. Most people genuinely don't care.

>with the least richest History
Sounds like you're the dickwaving one. America's history is short indeed, but it is very clearly there and it's much deeper and more intricate than that of America. How about you actually bother reading a history book?

>Americans act the same with the same bland culture everywhere
That's not how America works. That's not even how a stereotype of America works. That's how a blatant strawman of America works.

With how much bullshit you're shitting out here you either have to be Canadian or Australian.

>I'm not Canadian though. I just find your blatant need to try and dickwave Canada down a peg hilariously cute.

I am and I think you're being an oversensitive little bitch about a fictional setting that balkanizes federal states. Canada isn't some special snowflake country that's magically immune to division.

Not at all, I concede America is a big important country.

But you have no culture, you simply filter others through your media like a gigantic Whale.

"American" culture is used as a joke all over the world, on the stockholm syndrome Japanese take any of it without laughing at it.

Fact is, your War for independence and your Revolutionary War are your biggest cultural achievements..

>I'm not salty
>but I keep making long posts of pure butthurt

k

No, But America naturally Balkanizes them into itself, not the other way around right?

It's never a two-way street is it? The Irony is cute to say the least.

I'm simply having a discussion. I'm not the one trying to prove the unprovable by having a thread going "Let's make an American fantasy setting guys"

And then it falls flat on it's ass because you have nothing.

>But you have no culture

Maybe if we decide to filter out literally the entire industry of American media which has dominated the last century.

Of fucking course Americans can't pull on classical antiquity or medieval history (without trying to meme in native american shit) but to act like "America has no culture" is completely fucking nonsensical. It'd be like saying Rome has no culture because they piggeybacked on the Greeks and decided to integrate shit they liked from elsewhere.

Stop treating culture like some static bullshit that exists in a vacuum with no outside influence, healthy cultures DO "filter others through".

But you're incredibly buttblasted about Americans so nothing is going to change your mind. Go masturbate to a burning American flag.

>'m not the one trying to prove the unprovable by having a thread going "Let's make an American fantasy setting guys"
No, you're the Canadian that had the gall to come in and talk about how Americans have no culture. Literally the only thing Canada is known for is poutine and for being a Chinese colony.

It fell flat because Veeky Forums is a slow board and this is a subject that has been done many other times.

This user even linked to a thread from 8 years ago. Now, quit projecting like a little chink bitch.

You don't have to reply.

>No, But America naturally Balkanizes them into itself, not the other way around right?

the setting you're this mad about refers to a North American empire.

the United States of America is part of the North American continent.

as is Canada and Mexico.

you dipshit

Really only the Quebecois would disagree with you.

>Industry of America Media

Ah yes, like the Western films that ripped of Japanese films.

Or all the stories from other cultures they used.

Tell me, If America had a culture, what is it? What is "Distinctly American"

Besides being a vapid void that desperately tries to fill itself with outside culture.

>He starts throwing insults out
>He still thinks I am Canadian

The Typical American, when in doubt, double down on Stupidity.

>WHO IS TOM BAMBADIL
Uncle Sam.

And where is the Capital of the Empire bro?

You're pretty naive if you think America shitting itself wouldn't mean Canada shits itself next. We're ridiculously tied to the US in terms of culture, economics, etc.

Just because so many Canadians make "We're not american!" a big part of their identity doesn't mean we're not very much like our southern neighbors, or that what goes on south of the border doesn't influence us significantly.

Hell, Trump getting elected resulted in an influx of fuckwits spraying swastikas and KKK signs all over my city. The fact that we need to put up with morons peddling the fucking Klan in Canada should tell you all you need to know about America's cultural currency here.

I don't have to, but I want to.

Oh, you're not a Canuck? I missed that part of the thread. The rest of my post still stands. This is a topic that has been done to death. You're just salty because reasons.

Perhaps when you Americans can not shit out piss poor Twitch-chat insults maybe I'd hold you in higher regard.

Are you implying I give a shit about you Canada? You're just as bad if not worse because you actually suffer Knock off french people to look down on the rest of you.

>Ah yes, like the Western films that ripped of Japanese films.

Or the Japanese animation industry that ripped off the American animation industry. Let's not just try and imagine shit like Disney doesn't exist. Or the fact that the western movies, despite being influenced by Japanese movies, are about the AMERICAN FUCKING WEST. Cowboys and that entire western culture are distinctly American (or at the very least north American).

Even "ripped off" stuff is culture. America is a country of people FROM OTHER PLACES who brought what they had and amalgamated it into other shit, that's still culture, it doesn't need to be special snowflake unique 100% from here, you'll find a lot of French shit in England and vice versa too because (surprise) they influenced one another over the course of their history. Or are you going to start moaning about cultural appropriation next?

Well, maybe if you weren't so blatantly butthurt we wouldn't belt out insults? Try actually having a conversation instead of HERP DERP MURICANS HAS NO CULTURES ITS ALL DA SAME OVER DER.

We are calling you salty/mad/butthurt because it is painfully obvious that you ARE salty/mad/butthurt. Deny it all you want, but it comes through plain as day in your posts.

>Are you implying I give a shit about you Canada?

>Are you implying I give a shit about you Canada?

Enough to start indignantly bitching and moaning because someone balkanized Canada so you can grind your axe with America, you fucking child.

>Disney

Fancy drawing pictures. Nice European Stories though.

Oh and do tell me how that vapid hole of culture called Hollywood is so Enlightening.

The fact that America didn't bring along culture, it just whitewashed itself with a blanket corporate ideal.

When people think of America they think of McDonalds and over-zealous gun use.

What discussion do you want? I can argue your "Culture" all day but you'll just get mad at the truth and cry like the American you are.

Only to stab at America really, the fetid beast that wallows in it's own cultural filth.

>What discussion do you want?
How about what the thread was about, you asshat.

>The best you can muster are tribal scribblings But you went and near genocided them out of existence.
Canada treats its Natives every bit as terribly as America does.

I already explains your entire "Fantasy" culture of America here though Or am I wrong where everything in America is a Cryptid, an alien or a demon with little story about them besides "And then it showed up"

Yeah I forgot about the Canadian Trail of Tears bro. Handwaving Genocide as "But Canadians don't give them much monies" is hilarious and exactly the point I was making.

>Fancy drawing pictures.

Adorable.

>Nice European Stories though.

Like Mulan or Pochahontas etc. Hell, are we going to start pretending the Europeans weren't ripping each other off? Or that the Americans don't share the cultural heritage of Europeans seeing as a significant number of them are fucking Europeans who moved to America? Are we going to conveniently start ignoring westerns now that you realized they're literally about the expansion in the American west in the 19th century? Yeah that's kind of inconvenient for your shitty argument, isn't it?

>When people think of America they think of McDonalds and over-zealous gun use.

So? You can come up with negative stereotypes for basically any country on fucking earth, Americans are just the pinata because they're on top right now.

>Hollywood is so Enlightening.

So culture has to be enlightening? If we want to start talking about scientific advancement we can break out the google search of American inventions and you can start shifting the goalposts further.

You're so horrifically buttblasted at Americans, it's kinda sad you're trying to pretend you're not.

Where are you from, anyway? If you're not ashamed to admit it, which you probably are.

Well, since its a fantasy sure you might be right, but that sounds a little fucking boring doesn't it?

>Mulan

So ripping china off, ok.

>Pochahontas

Thems were Europeans jack.

>So? You can come up with negative stereotypes for basically any country on fucking earth, Americans are just the pinata because they're on top right now.

That's the thing, you can't think of good things in Americans either

So now you know my point.

He must be from europe to be this assblasted.

Just look at how this thread is going versus how the same topic from 8 years ago turned out: Veeky Forums is dead

Veeky Forums is dead

>Thems were Europeans jack.

Colonial history is now 100% European, but not American at all

ok friend. You're not going to change your mind, you've got your axe to grind so you can masturbate furiously tonight about how awful America is. You won't even acknowledge that bitching and moaning about "MUH CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!" is a shitty argument against culture. Start masturbating over the fall of the Roman empire next because they were just as good at "ripping off" other cultures as America is, and the rest of Europe's been "ripping off" Roman culture for centuries. And the fact you're considering Europe as a whole, rather than individual European countries, is also kind of funny. Perhaps "european culture" has been too full of European countries "ripping each other off" for most of their history that it provides an awkward argument if you try to talk about any particular one.

Care to refute me then?

I'm perfectly open for you to prove me wrong.

>Where are you from, anyway? If you're not ashamed to admit it, which you probably are.

Confirmed assblasted european. Heck i think he may be from eastern europe or russia.

>Fact is, your War for independence and your Revolutionary War are your biggest cultural achievements.

How cute, he thinks that all we've accomplished culturally.

Look deeper to the empire we've formed. You'll hate us even more I assure you.

Your ignorance on the country you're sperging out against is showing user. Please go back and do your homework. You're simply bringing up the most obvious of any "American" thing because that's all you know.

I'm not even mad at America. It's just, do you seriously consider rgurgitated stories from Hollywood and shallow false traditions as anything dramatic?

Or better yet, anywhere interesting enough to base a fantasy setting on.

America is a beautiful place, but every city is a grey blocky mass or Faux-French colonial buildings.

I mean how would a Fantasy America look if not just a single landmass European Fantasy?

We know how this'll turn out. I explain where I am from, you take turns trying to pick at the CURRENT situation of my country and deny any heritage it has because you're Americans, who are driven only by ego.

It's Ireland by the way.

>yfw the Europeans ripped off the Jews and spent the last 1,700 years wallowing in it and stamping out their own "distinct" pagan religions which may or may not have also largely ripped off eastern cults

Culture sure is fucked.

If assblasted-user is from russia then its even worse.

Nigga you've been refuted like twenty times in this thread already, you're just too dumb or stubborn to care.

You are the reason Europeans are looked down upon in America, and why nobody listens to what they have to say.

>It's Ireland by the way.

Glass houses my friend.

Why don't you regale me with some unique Irish culture.

Oh, do point out these out going

>Nuh uh America has culture look at these stories based on other cultures

Let's be honest America-kun. Europeans are not looked down upon in America.

>It's Ireland by the way.

Dude, that's even worse, given how hugely important Irish-Americans are in American culture, and how they were both Irish AND American.

Goddamn, its sad how little you know.

>assblasted
>ireland

HAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY FUCK THIS FUCKING HILARIOUS.

>Europeans are not looked down upon in America.

...you've never been to America, have you?

>I'm not even mad at America.

Let's not act like you're fooling anyone but yourself.

>and shallow false traditions as anything dramatic?

How do you define false traditions? Are you saying that inherited traditions don't count? Are Europeans allowed to draw on Roman heritage? Can any European country claim a heritage in something they shared with other European countries? Can Americans not claim a heritage from Europe considering their country was formed from European colonialism?

Fantasy America is mostly troublesome because most American culture draws from a European background, and most fantasy is based in medieval or earlier. So no shit it's going to be derivative. Almost all culture is derivative. But even in regards to fantasy America, you've been grinding an entirely different axe for most of this thread by shitflinging at America in general.

He cant. Too much british influence

He is shitflinging at Canada too. Double trouble.

>hurr whites = elves

fuck off

>Europeans are not looked down upon in America.

Outside of colleges and blue cities yes they are I assure you.

Here user have some homework. Read into american and native american folk lore. Read about mexican folk lore. Hell read about southern folk lore. Next go look up American cultural impacts when it comes to technology and our manipulation of the world on a grand stage.

There's countless inspiration to draw on for fantasy setting. You're just too ignorant to see it.

Well, there is Gaelic, a traditional Irish Language.

Ireland managed to resist the Romantic occupation the rest of the British isles ( besides scotland ) had suffered and in fact Invaded Scotland After the Roman's left.

The Brand of Christanity Ireland also adopted was heavily influenced by early Pagan history And it's one of the most solid foundations of Celtic History we have.

We have our own Gods, Foundation Myth, Founding hero of the Irish people, even fantasy races like the Formosians and so forth.

The Irony of Is not lost, because Early Northumbiran History is paved with Irish saints and Bishops, while in Turn, the Northunbrian saint, Saint Patrick is our Patron Saint.

See, it's rather easy to make a Fantays setting out of Ireland.

Well, considering my voice alone seems to get me mad American pussy, it's rather amusing.

A good portion of Canida is only good for mining, lumbering, and if you really invest enough food production if you're fine with it only being a 4 to 5 month season of anything. The places where people live are honestly tax drains/parasitic on the rest of the Canadian economic process because they only thing they have going is people can live comfortably there and produce nothing for export. Ice land barbarians with barley a smidgen of norse ideas would fit and be more interesting than "Yeah here they can actually trade surplus food otherwise basically at the whims of winter" "Here they trade out excess iron so they can reliably survive winter" "Here they can float logs down the river 4 months of the year before they are at the mercy of what they did for winter" and "These assholes tax the rest of the region because they can do shit when it's winter but have nothing of worth there".

Canadian culture is less than a joke, it's a cross between what they cribbed from the quebecois and "america with the queen"

Any moron whose Great Grand-dad went to Ameirca from ireland claims to be an Irish-American.

Knowing fuck all about his heritage besides the colour green and being a useless layabout.

Allow me to summarize half the fucking posts in this thread

> Be American
> know nothing about Canadian history
> conclude this lack of knowlage is because there is nothing to know
> smugly post about how nothing has happened in Canada ever
> go back to discussing the fascinating history of Wyoming or some shit

>Well, considering my voice alone seems to get me mad American pussy, it's rather amusing.

Does it now? Because if you spoke about America or Americans like how you're doing now to an Americans face, you'd get the shit knocked out of you and do nothing but confirm most peoples prejudices.

Foreigners tend to get women pretty easily (unless you're Asian) but I can tell you for a fact that most people view Europeans as being arrogant snobs (which you are).

The only thing that MIGHT save you is that you're Irish, and the Irish are an important part of American heritage in the South and NE.

Lad, I'm Northern Irish, and you're being shit craic.
High Fantasy by way of America has potential, just look at the Americana thread that was up a few days ago

You're forgetting the buttblasted Irishman.

> it doesn't need to be special snowflake unique 100% from here
Only white people say this because white people can't understand how painful it is for another culture to just come along knock you to near extinction level of population then wear the corpse of your culture like a costume for a week before they get bored of it, like their ancestors did with their own fucking culture. White people can't even keep their own fucking culture alive they're in a loop of import, water down, smash it with pagen/science/christian shit for neo,revived,new age, and what other bullshit you want to call it then cast it off in two years after people forgot what they originally appropriated for it.

>implying that ANYTHING can live in Ohio, human or arthropod

>terra libera
>that's what clapistanis actually believe

Pretty sure the only thing stopping me is most Americans are either 5"2 or fat and unhealthy.

There is literally nothing in America that is interesting, besides maybe the Landscape.

Is that what you want to use?

>Why does every other nation on Earth constantly think about us?
I'm starting to think they're tsundere for us.

>We might teach your language to our kids
>and watch all the movies you make
>and listen to your music
>and play the games you like
>and dress just like you
>and eat your favorite food
>..... and practice your form of government
>........and move to your country :)
>B-but don't get the wrong idea mister!!!!
>St-stupid uncultured f-f-foreigner!

It was a good thread at the beginning though.

>Only white people say this because white people can't understand how painful it is

You're right. We don't because our history much like the asians, and arabs has so far been one of rampant success. Only ours has been in the limelight for a long time.

But a racist like you wouldn't grasp that. Back to fucking /pol/ with you.

>Why do people think Americans are loud egotistical buffons
>Because we need to prove that to them every time.

>There is literally nothing in America that is interesting

Nothing more than opinion. That's like americans saying canadian history is uninteresting when to be honest it very much is they just don't care to learn it.

Get the fuck out of here.

It's okay, foreigner-chan. We love you too.

>White people

To which particular "white people" are you referring? Because if you think that all Americans of European descent somehow magically "got along" and liked each other in the US you are VERY sorely mistaken.

Furthermore, pretty much every culture ever (including pretty much every European one) has had a major invasion/purge that greatly damaged their societies and caused massive cultural loss. Most "white people" who came to America did so because the alternative back "home" was cultural eradication or death for being political/religious/ethnic dissidents. You think the Irish WANTED to come to America in droves originally? Fuck no. They felt they didn't have a choice, though, because Ireland fucking sucked at the time, and it was that or die of starvation or English hate. You think the Germans wanted to come to Texas and the Midwest? Hell no, but they did because their nation was in a constant state of warfare and/or political upheaval, and they were likely of one of the various ethnic groups that lost the various power struggles. You think the Finns moved to the Midwest in droves for funsies? Nope! Turns out Russians and Swedes are kind of racist dicks. Italians fled the Fascists, Spaniards fled the Flu, Greeks fled the Turks, French fled the Nazis, the Jews fled everybody - America was built on people running away from Europe, and in America they forged their unique identities into something new and unique.

It's a telling sign of cultural hegemony when your culture is the one that you define yourself as NOT being a part of, rather than being your own special thing.

Are we counting Native shit?
If not, you've still got the whole Frontier/Pioneer spirit (in fact I'd go so far to say that in the West, "The Frontier" is a concept closely linked to America)

But there isn't. there literally isn't.

You can't make fantasy monsters.
You can't have Fantasy races
Everything would only be guns

I mean, the idea of a Fantasy Analogue to America would be cool.

But a Literal Fantasy America would be shit.

>There is literally nothing in America that is interesting,

If you can't find something interesting in a country almost the size of the European continent and that is half wilderness, then it is YOU who are not interesting.

>Besides maybe the Landscape

Oh look, you didn't listen, besides, very little is in America that wasn't already in Europe. Pretty Ironic really.

No one ever cares about Utah

>Pretty Ironic really.

How is it ironic that a place settled in large part by Europeans has many European features?