What would be the most effective thing you could make to defeat monsters in a medieval economy/technology base?

What would be the most effective thing you could make to defeat monsters in a medieval economy/technology base?

Wagon with a ballista/giant crossbow on it.

Lure monster onto road/into narrow canyon with clear line of sight and nowhere to run. Bait it with infantry and then shoot it in the center mass with several hundred pounds of sharp metal.

Although if black powder is available, I prefer a Gunlance to any other monster killin' tool.

Spear, harpoon, bow and crossbow let people hunt lions, tigers, bears, elephants and whales.

If your monster doesn't have some magical bullshit going on they'll do the trick there too. If there is magical bullshit you simply add whatever plot device or magical bullshit you prefer to balance it.

Add a good amount of poison to things for extra insurance against the damn thing surviving.

Depends on the monster.

Regional monster hunting guilds.

Cooperation, discipline, and planning are key.

What kind of monster, user?

Though in a more general sense, I could imagine that monsters roaming the countryside would encourage a lot more urbanization, with only the fields directly outside of walled cities being deemed safe enough to work. It would require the (anachronistic) presence of strong, efficient and nutritious crops like 'taters though. Maybe also terrace farms for cities in hilly/mountainous regions that are relatively easily defended through chokepoints. Travel between cities would rarely happen and be considered suicide for all but the best armed groups, resulting in every city having such autonomy the local mayor/baron might as well be the king of a city state, with kingdoms being little more than loosely tied confederations under hereditary rule.

See
Only thing I have to add is flaming pitch.

Spears, Polearms, Crossbows for almost everything. Traps and Scorpions for everything else. Humans could probably wipe out almost any monster given enough time. The only things that would be a long term threat would be intelligent monsters.

A bunch of dudes with long spears. So pretty much like your picture, but longer. And better trained dudes.

Same as always. Strike the weak point for massive damage.

Flaming spear-bulls.

While that was certainly the case in real battles in ancient Japan, I'm not sure it translates to more general cases.

>What would be the most effective thing you could make to defeat monsters in a medieval economy/technology base?
>you could make
>you

Well I'm not the best craftsman myself, a policy of traveling in groups and gathering resources to buy a solution or worst case scenario deal with the problem with ourselves.

Honestly if your not a farmer who has been tending the land for generations I would suggest moving to a place not filled with monsters. If you are a farmer who would starve for a generation if you move then I would suggest having a great deal of children. Sons to protect your lands and daughters to gather support from your neighbors and protect your land.

Learn to realize when your being insulted, learn when to take an insult and when to deal one back. Don't be petty and play the long game. If you outlast the monsters you win. If you outlast your in-laws I'm sorry your hallucinating because a giant crab has cut off blood flow to your brain, you will be dead soon. Sorry for your loss.

So alliances and manpower.

>Spear, harpoon, bow and crossbow let people hunt lions, tigers, bears, elephants
>Spear
That was done yes, but it was viewed as highly dangerous save hunting the lions. They are a good deal smaller then the others on that list however.

>bow
The issue that most of the cultures the had bear issues did not make bows of the needed draw weight to deal with them in that way. A 50 to 60 pound self bow can get most small game. A 70 to 95 pound bow opens adult deer, young boars, and better dual use in warfare (Japanese foot bows, pre 12th century European longbows) . A 100 to 125 pound is very good in warfare (Japanese and Hungarian horse bows, 12th century on words European longbows made in England). To hunt brown bears using pre-modern bow you want at lest 140 pound draw bow and up. The only people who made that strong of a bow normally and the Turks (barely, 140 is the upper range of their war bows), Mongols, Manchu, and north great plains Indians. Other cultures did make bows in that draw weight, but those bows were rare and a special order type thing. It also means that there would be few archers who could make effect use of those bows because that is not what they be training with.

>crossbow

At lest for bears that was go to option. A 14th century source notes that 5 to 7 crossbows bots ( no statement of what type of crossbow) will down most bears. It is like that they did not have a good idea of a bears anatomy to pick the right targets. Seeing as the we did not really have a good idea of human anatomy till De humani corporis fabrica in 1543.

Really hunting dangerous game before guns was hard. Up scaled animals like that crab would be even harder.

I was once told that one way to kill an elephant was to sneak up on it with a spear and shove the spear up the elephant's asshole. Then you run and wait for it to die a terrible, horrible death.

so

The lance. Within reason. Absolutely massive monsters are going to need to be killed by cannon.

protip: shoot it until it dies

Most cultures that had organized militaries with regiments of archers had bows with draw weights around 180 lbs (ex: english and chinese) and also used crossbows with even greater power.

>Fleshy monster up to elephant size.
Probably the same way you'd killl an animal of the same size.
>Same shit with a shell, exoskeleton or some other protections.
lure it into a pit/trench/canyon and either drop heavy rocks on it or throw nets on it until you can safely go stab the weak point.
>Colossal shit or dragons impervious from everywhere but their cloaca.
Go full dragon of cracovie on their ass and feed them a poisoned/explosive sheep/cow.

pray to god it's not intelligent

This desu

We didn't have a good idea of human anatomy because you'd have to be a psycho to cut up a human being. On the other hand, any animal you hunt is guaranteed to be cut up.

I'm pretty sure humans learned how to kill things efficiently as soon as we started throwing rocks and noticing which targets stayed down.

Are you going to argue next that lions don't know to break the spine with their jaws because they haven't performed a comprehensive dissection and study on their prey?

Furthermore, you're pulling those draw weights directly from a wiki or some shit without an actual understanding of what you're talking about.
For hunting, 50-60 lbs is more than enough to kill anything short of a bull moose, provided you are using a proper arrowhead and aiming for the right spot, which any decent hunter would be doing.
When you're talking about warbows, the higher draweight is not to increase damage, it's to increase range. Increased velocity doesn't really matter after a certain point. Either the arrow goes in, or it doesn't, the point is to make sure you can shoot lots of arrows from far away, not that you can punch through steel plates or some shit.

And for the last nail in your stupid fucking argument's coffin, spears were used in tandem with HORSES and OTHER DUDES WITH SPEARS. It is strategy that allowed humans to kill things bigger faster stronger and tougher than us.

>HORSES
Unless you think Total War is a realistic depiction of warfare, people didn't actually charge stuff with horses to hit it. Rather, it relied on the enemy breaking formation and running for their lives rather than standing ground, and unless Newton was wrong, the speed of the arrow is the thing that matters the most.

Another think that I forgot to say is that don't generally sniped around with bows and arrows to hit the bullseye, instead they shot the center of mass, like they still do today.