What style of music does your party's Bard play?

What style of music does your party's Bard play?

Follow up question: would rock music ever be acceptable in a high fantasy setting? How about Blues? Electronic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5VLQRfxlEcs&list=LLg5K1qNLpPbkOfJ4HPT0YUA&index=14
youtube.com/watch?v=cYO34QnJcIA&list=LLg5K1qNLpPbkOfJ4HPT0YUA&index=13
youtube.com/watch?v=EAANKFPchtA&list=LLg5K1qNLpPbkOfJ4HPT0YUA&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=D8sbG3L6Xug
youtube.com/watch?v=b7dmM-QMkmg
youtube.com/watch?v=UrCl6NihiCE
youtube.com/watch?v=cjgXHKIO2ck
youtube.com/watch?v=bTiWHnhMQzU
youtube.com/watch?v=Ok7ExQm2Ugc
outliermusic.com/jokes_rulesoftheblues.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=a7HSQKerhWQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6pMjkM2xmBI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=5VLQRfxlEcs&list=LLg5K1qNLpPbkOfJ4HPT0YUA&index=14
youtube.com/watch?v=cYO34QnJcIA&list=LLg5K1qNLpPbkOfJ4HPT0YUA&index=13
youtube.com/watch?v=EAANKFPchtA&list=LLg5K1qNLpPbkOfJ4HPT0YUA&index=1

>would rock music ever be acceptable in a high fantasy setting
Unless it's a wacky JRPG-esque magitek setting, probably not

Now, high fantasy renditions of known contemporary music? That's more up to circumstances and how well you can pull it off

What about contemporary instruments such as the guitar?

Say what you want about this show, it does know how to set a good mood.

This thread will undoubtedly turn into another SU thread where half of us argue that it's SJW Tumblr bullshit, and the other half argue for the better points of the show, despite its fanbase.

I knew I should have picked another image instead.

youtube.com/watch?v=D8sbG3L6Xug
It's kind of a weird campaign.

Whatever I'm feeling like, but on the Hurdy Gurdy

or Nyckelharpa when he's feeling fancy

Well guitars have been around since BC times in many different forms, so as long as it ain't a modern electric guitar, it shouldn't be too out of place

As for other contemporary instruments, so long as there's a past version of them, it wouldn't be too hard to justify their existence (depending on setting)

Typically if u run a game with bard's in it, at least once there will be metal bards. Dwarven doom metal, elven power metal, tiefling black metal, I've seen them all. Though that may just be because I always end up with very metal settings

youtube.com/watch?v=b7dmM-QMkmg

Right, so in shadowrun I'm decking for the team. The music (other than an annoying hobby) serves to distract foes or coordinate. After scouting out a building and forming a plan, everyone should know what they need to be doing by the time the group reaches a point on a track.

The rap-anime mix is just his taste.

Dominions 4 is my jam too man.

Should have gone with the less offensive cartoon bard.

my negro, this is how I bard

youtube.com/watch?v=UrCl6NihiCE

That show was great until Dominator came in. I mean, yeah she brought out some new and hilarious sides of Hater, like In the car episode, but she was played like such a fucking Mary Sue.

Whenever she was on screen, she always had to steal the spotlight so they show off her cool moves and badassness and how awesome she is-Oh but she also has a quirky, nerdy, personality that we're going to try and portray in the last two minutes of her First appearance, which was a two-parter dedicated to making her look badass (and explaining why Hater had to start from the bottom of the conquest ladder again).

I dropped off halfway through the second season because of her. Did she ever get her comeuppance?

> rock music
Depends on what type of rock.
Classic rock with acoustics wouldn't be too hard a stretch.

Stuff like buttrock or sliding in towards metal would require some heavy justification with like magic and shit, though, and would probably colour the setting by its very existence.

> Blues
Since it has its origins based in segregation, you could probably swing that anywhere you'd see the downtrodden and oppressed.
It even uses old guitars and is mostly vocal, so that's a plus.

> Electronica
Only if you've got some magitek shit going on.

It's really less about the genre and more about being able to justify why people suddenly started playing music like this, and how.
Basically you have to come up with a little mini backstory to justify why this exists in the world.
Unless you're going full jRPG, and then you don't really have to justify shit.

from what i know, she got served

She ends up destroying all the planets except for one, hidden planet she doesn't know about. This makes her depressed because she's run out of things to destroy. It is heavily implied / stated outright that she wants to hang around the universe because she gets some sort of perverse feeling of friendship having everyone fear and look up to her, and without it she devolves into a major funk.

Anyway, she finds the last planet and instantly snaps out of her funk, then goes to destroy it. There's a bunch of running around and bullshit, and then her ship gets into a beam war with Hater of all people. Hater wins.
Not "Hater's ship", but Hater. Hater overpowers her ship with his lightning powers and basically hands her her ass. Then Wander gives her one last chance to be friends (because she's lost everything), and she sputters before running away.

All the destroyed planets bloom into flowers and plant life thanks to a seed that got propagated around in a previous episode, and so the universe is saved and made anew.
Hater briefly enjoys his status as a hero, then goes right back to villainy (much to Peeper's joy), and Wander and Sylvia go on to new adventures, while Dominator runs off with her tail between her legs.

And then the series was cancelled because Disney only ever clears two seasons for anything.

>guy is a bard
>captured by goblins, working as a slave
>decides to start a revolution with the other slaves, plays some battle music
>gets unbelievable rolls every time, completely destroys the goblins
>somebody asks him what he was playing
>rage against the machine
>he was playing hard rock with a lute and "magic"

This. Modern electronic instruments are no good outside a setting that just plain gives no shits about anachronistic tech mashups.

Though for a high-magic setting, I'd probably include a magic version of the theremin. With crystals or something instead of antennas. Maybe call it a "spirit harp" or something like that.
Only theremin, though. Just because it seems like the sort of wacky thing a proper wizard would make. Ain't no wizard worth his pointy hat gonna waste his time on something so mundane as making a guitar sound funky.

My bard weaken people with horrible sounds and songs. So I guess it could be either beautiful music and songs carefully sang wrong or some experimental shits made to make people feel bad, uncomfortable, stress or something like that.
youtube.com/watch?v=cjgXHKIO2ck

>Ain't no wizard worth his pointy hat gonna waste his time on something so mundane as making a guitar sound funky.

this is wrong

>funk wizard.
Someone make this happen, it will please me greatly.

I concur
> youtube.com/watch?v=bTiWHnhMQzU

Music wizard?

> youtube.com/watch?v=Ok7ExQm2Ugc

It's also important to note that she serves mostly as a plot device to help really cement both Hater's and Wander's arcs, both of which are really well done.

She has her own little arc by the end of the series when she gets rekt and then has a little bit of self reflection that probably would have been explored more in a third season, but her true contribution to the show was bringing out the best in our two existing main characters.

Blues would work perfectly. It's simple, timeless and down-to-earth. Just don't break any of the rules and adapt them to your setting.
outliermusic.com/jokes_rulesoftheblues.htm

I'm personally glad the season ended before they did another cheesy redemption on her.

I'm gonna admit, I like her better as a villain than redeemable.

Half the reason she got such a surge in popularity was her driving home the point that she is the villain and wasn't going to fall into the typical chick cliches. She had a whole musical number about it.
Giving her a cheesy redemption arc would feel disingenuous.

The other half was because she's hot.

>would rock music ever be acceptable in a high fantasy setting?
youtube.com/watch?v=a7HSQKerhWQ

The Pathfinder Skald was pretty much built to be a metal bard.

>would rock music ever be acceptable in a high fantasy setting?

Two words.
Folk Metal.

You can rock out with a goddamn accordion, especially with a few magical enchantments for sound amplification.

any pop music in a fantasy setting is discworld as fuck
youtube.com/watch?v=6pMjkM2xmBI

Why can't a Bard ever be more like this?

Why are bards always the most Ren Fair-ey of the whole setting?

because that is not a bard

Weeaboo shonen flying swordsman hero can be a D&D fighter, but all Bards must fall in line with the foppish lute playing rennie style only?

>Hurdy Gurdy
You. I like you.

There's always the acoustic theremin. Just wave your arms and go "wowooooOOOwowooOOOOwowowowowoWOOWOWOwo"

No, because he's not even a man. He's a god.