BGG: Nostalgia edition

/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous thread:

Resources (reviewers, Veeky Forums groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

>Post your bgg related nostalgia stories

Other urls found in this thread:

holiday-sale.fantasyflightgames.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=DvR6-SQzqO8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

rank the dungeon crawlers

Descent
Heroquest
Advanced heroquest
Dungeon saga
D&d basic
Zombicide
Space hulk
Execution force
MoM
Dungeon quest
Etc.

>No Warhammer Quest
I hereby declare thy taste to be shit.

Anyone here played a game called Battalia?

Friend has it. We tried playing it, but the rules are a clusterfuck and so we got about a quarter through a game before saying fuck it and playing something else.

Is it worth investing time to figure it out, or should we just play something else right off the bat next time?

I have actually, back in January. It had cool ideas, and the deckbuilding/area control/combat gelled together a lot better than I thought it would, but two of our players had less-than-ideal eyesight and the text/symbols are tiny. I can see how the game could take 45min to play, but it took a miserable 2+hrs

I don't remember having that many rules questions once we actually got started, but I only barely remember the game now. Since this was a KS maybe there's an explanation video?

Me and my friends have the most fun with zc:bp. I backed the kickstarter and didn't regrett anything. It's fast pasted and you get shit done in an evening AND play 1 additional game. You not "exploring" the map, more like fighting trough hordes of zombies to get to your destination. I like it.

I hat Shadows of Brimstone. I really liked to concept. Western and Cthulu? What's not to love? But the game plays in a very slow pace. You have lots of random encounters where dice determine, what's going to happen. Exploartion is well done and everybody is playing against the game, no dungeon master needed. But the enemies are more "mindless" than in zc. I sold it after 4 plays. Didn't really click and setting up takes a long while.

I had played Descent 1 a long time ago. Remember having fun, but wasn't really mindblowing.

Space Hulk is fun but its more a "2 player" game. And an expensive one. But the miniatures are superb (you still need to assemble them).

I bought the undercity for 30$ in ebay. lets see how that plays. Board looks bland, but the minis look good and everyone looks very unique. Looking forward for that!

I have my eyes on Dungeon Saga. The "deluxe Eddtion" looks good with the adventures companion with additional content.

>Post your bgg related nostalgia stories
I remember when some trip (minifig?) from here told about some annoying guy that ranted about high speed trains and everybody jumped on that. That was fun.

Having said that... this question sucks.

God I really hope I won't regret this. Never backed something on KS. Created a KS account just for this. Everything looks great but I'm afraid I'm in too deep financially. I don't wanna have doubts because I think the game looks great but it's so much fucking money. I could go down to $99 for only the core box but I want all the minis because of my completionist autistic mind.
And the campaign isn't even over. I fear that by the end I'll be in with around $400. This is fucked up. Have you guys ever spent a ridiculous amount of money on a single board game purchase? Did you regret it?

I love crawlers but my group is group-huggy and doesn't like either Descent or the D&D Adventure System, the former because it's not challenging and therefore not rewarding without an Overlord playing to win, the second because the "AI" is easy to cheat.

I need a game that mixes both the streamlined nature and sense of partnership against the game of the D&D games witht he ruthless assholery of Descent played right.

Mage Knight should get a mention, although IMO it's not actually that awesome.

I have a rule that I don't spend more than $100 on game kickstarters. So no.

Remember when minifig shilled for 404 for literally months because he knew the guy? And the project was delayed horribly because the guy was bad at business but it wasn't his fault? And that the game was mediocre after a super late delivery anyway?

Hey /bgg/, I'm new to board gaming and unfortunately it's an expensive hobby.

How does Black Friday/Cyber Monday generally go for board games? I'm hoping to get some games online for a bit cheaper, but are there any good sales usually? If so, which sites are better? Or do only gateway games like Ticket to Ride go on sale?

asmodee/fantasy flight are currently having their holiday sale
holiday-sale.fantasyflightgames.com/

A legit, full-on, actual fists thrown fight just broke out at my college board game club over Dead of Winter. Someone just called security and everything.

>Not knowing jits and choking everyone unconscious.
Low test, but story anyway.

>Dead of winter
>out of all the games

TI3, after you sink a full day, and get backstabbed or literally have your day ruined, I can see.

Magic the gathering, I can see
Campaign for North Africa, when Jim can't do the proper accounting and the brits don't have enough water for your tea, ruining an effective week's worth of games, I can see.

But fucking dead of winter?

Hey guys, i love some 18XX games (specially 18AL).
Do any of you know a place where i can buy a kit for it, instead of having to print and build my own?

Wow, those are great sales! Unfortunately nothing there has jumped out at me. (Except Ghost Stories at $25, but a friend already has it.)

Are there other similar sales either currently happening or to watch for?

So Dice Tower put up a video about "Inclusiveness" in gaming.

I was willing to give the video a chance since it might not be insufferable dogshit but it's literally just two women complaining about nothing for 20 minutes and one them even unironically mentioned how black people WAS KANGS.

It's such a non issue, just stick to reviews for fucks sake.

Didn't you know?
Half baked political opinions are the new hot topic!

Now that trump won, you gotta accrue some virtue signaling points or else

I love that episode, and you didn't even need to include the cray cray to make it work.
Bless you, user.

>you didn't even need to include the cray cray to make it work.

Seriously what does that even mean?

>holiday-sale.fantasyflightgames.com/
Is there anything similar to this for Canadians? The USD kills our currency when i convert.

Got you, thought you were talking about the Dice Tower EP and I got confused.

I posted the wrong gif anyway, I meant to post the one where Jack facepalms.

Shame there's no Stargate board game.

Scythe or Terraforming Mars?

I can only get 1, unless there's a huge sale.

>fresh out of money
>it's fall
>GMT says it's sale will be moving to January
I feel like I got a stay of execution.

Both are great games.
if you prefer form over function Scythe
if you prefer function over form Terraforming Mars
(consider this more an indictment of TM's form, than of Scythe's function. Stock photos...stock photos everywhere)

Kingdom death, that was like 5 years ago or something. I spent about $700 in total, meant to split among friends. They didn't pay up or played in the end. I kept everything. No regrets though, it is a fantastic game with fantastic minis.

Why aren't you dumping your money on the Kingdom death kickstarter this coming black Friday?

>Kingdom Death

Oh god my wallet is going to hurt isn't it when the reprint KS starts friday?

Does anyone know any good kids games?

I want to play more games with my niece but all the ones she owns are garbage, seriously if I play another MB piece of shit or fucking Game of Life I'm going to kill myself.

More importantly I think she realises they aren't very good too and I'd hate for her to be turned off boardgames the same way I was so I'd like to try and get her some good ones for christmas.

She's 8 and is really getting into science at the moment so that'd be a good theme.

You haven't learned to go daydreaming whenever a woman speaks?
It solves most all problems.

You're basically asking which one is best, and considering of those that you listed I see at least 3 different styles of play (1vmany, coop, free for all), an answer isn't so simple because preferences. I'll throw in what I know though.

>Descent

1E and 2E play somewhat differently. I believe 1E was a bit heavier of a game, can't say for certain though. I know the RPG aspects went a bit deeper in 1E. As it stands, I don't like 2E so much anymore, and easily find it one of my weakest 1vmany games. I heard /bgg/ talking about the full coop mode on apps I'll want to try out before I drop it though.

I've found The Others Seven Sins to be a massive upgrade to standard 2E Descent. It's lacking in the story department, and not much in the way of a campaign, but playing the overlord is actually fun. The same goes for the recently released Conan, but they've got some loose ends to work out before I have a final say on that game. As it stands it's fun, but there's a bunch of pieces they've released for the game that currently have little in the way of rules, and just sticking them in the game can upset balance greatly.

>Dungeonquest

DQ is certainly not like the others listed. There are no rpg aspects. You pick a character, and watch as that character slowly dies. I love the game to death, and it's usually one of the beginner games I introduce people to when they get tired of color and small number manipulation games and want something with a bit more style. Brutally difficult, but short set up time, and it's fun watching everyone else get murdered while hoping you don't.

>Zombicide

Zombicide is great arcade-y fun. You'll most likely get bored of it after several play throughs because it doesn't offer a whole lot of depth, but it's super easy to learn and teach.

Honestly user, if she's all about that science, get a science kit for her and you can both play around with it. No winning or losing, no competition, just learning and such.

Outside of that, there's the timeline games. There's a science version of it I believe.

All in all, I can't say I know any kid friendly science esque games. When my niece and nephew want to play games, we just play Poo the card game and fling shit at each other.

Oh, you could also get her some of those yummy nummies meal things. Its sort of like alchemy, you get to make tiny food (everyone loves tiny food), and you might actually find some of them rather tasty. Maybe? In anycase they can eat up a good 30 minutes or so of your time and they're only like 4 bucks.

>if she's all about that science, get a science kit for her and you can both play around with it.

I actually got her one for her birthday last month :P

What are some good board games to get my friends into playing more complex ones? I have Battlelore 2nd edition at the moment to introduce them to skirmish/war games and planning on getting Zombiecide but I don't know where to go from there.

BIOS: Megafauna
BIOS: Evolution
Evolution
Compounded
Antidote
Linkage
CO2
Peptide
Pandemic family of games(dunno, researching and developing cures?)
Lab Wars
Timeline: Science and Discoveries
Dominant Species

Does Sci-fi count as science?

Also, I just found out 'Bill Nye the Science Guy's Way Cool Game o' Science' exists

>Why aren't you dumping your money on the Kingdom death kickstarter this coming black Friday?

Kingdom Death is the one Kickstarter I regret never pledging to, because there's no way the reprint is going to be anywhere near as good of a deal as it originally was. Getting the base of a $400 game for only $100? Probably wouldn't feel as bad if I had never played it, but got a few sessions in on a friend's copy and it just made the regret worse.

Here's to hoping it'll at least be discounted to some degree. I don't need all the extra cheesecake or expansions, just the core box.

Gotta give us more to go off of. What kind of games do you like? What kind of games do you think your friends will like? Or better yet, what kind of games would you like that you don't think your friends would hate? Coop, pvp, 1 vs many, deckbuilders, any given theme, etc. etc.

There's a whole mess of board games out there, so get as specific as possible.

Based unk', I do the same thing for mine. Family wants to get her garbage all the time, but she knows I'm always good for getting her something cool to tinker with.

Oh, also, I was wrong. Yummy nummies is the trash brand. The brand you want to go for is called Kracie Popin Cookin. It prolly takes awhile to ship from china or wherever, but the reviews are good, and they're like 3.50 a box.

I guess, rpg, dungeon crawlers, and skirmish/war games. Card games with rpg elements would probably be something most would get into since they like playing D&D

Wait until you see the shipping prices.
That $10 Edo looked great even in maplebucks

DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAGON DILDOS

I saw. I was planning on getting Claustrophobia and boom, $50+ on shipping. Not worth it since I can get it cheaper on Amazon.ca

whoa, that's a big dildo

I got a big thing that no longer has personal info visible :^)

Goddamn jealous of you leafs... us beaners get fucked up the ass with shipping rates.
We're the southern neighbor to the US and for some unfathomable reason each. and. every. delivery. service. charges inter-fucking-continental rates. Such bullshit.

What's inside.

WHAT'S INSIDE

what's with the green nail polish?

Free shipping+10$ tax on a 200$+ purchase.
God damn I love caribou and loons.

The wife made a claim that things spent with money I don't have become hers.

"why of course, user. Go pick up "my" package form the post office.

"I can't wait to play "my" games. I don't even know what they are!"

Started out real good. There's more, isn't there?

RPG

>Shadowrun crossfire
Fully coop deckbuilder, stupid hard, wants you to play a lot to "level up" and customize your deck. Get good enough, take on the mega bosses and challenges like dragons.

>Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Can't say a whole lot about this one because I'm waiting to get a full group to go through it (so that means probably never). It's got a campaign system, and you pick a class and modify your deck as you get stronger

>Descent 2e

Think you're better off just playing an actual RPG than this, but it's still not a completely awful option, and it's pretty much what you're looking for

>Dungeon Crawl

Gears of War, Arcadia Quest, Super Dungeon Explore, Rise of the Kage, The Others seven sins, Conan

>Skirmish/War Games

Neuroshima Hex!, Yashima, Summoner Wars, Chaos in the old world (a sort of war game)

Idk, seems like on this front I should be recommending warmachine, malifaux, and infinity.

Not too much more. Ortus Regni boxes are large, chunky, beautiful things.

Between Ashes, Summoner Wars, Battlecon, Pixel Tactics, Hive,Twilight Struggle, and Gosu, I think buying an additional two player-only game may have been an error in judgement.

Don't forget BIOS: Origins.

You just watched all of All the Games You Like Are Bad's videos before you bought this, didn't you.

>Skirmish
Krosmaster Arena, plastic chibis, game's OK
Guildball, my god, those miniatures are gorgeous.
Confrontation, OOP, solid game, excellent minis
Necromunda/Mordheim, skirmish mini's granddad, OOP as fuck, solid campaign mode, some design flaws show with age

Once the binder and extra large books get relocated, they will join their brethren.

After being disappointed with the Mare Nostrum review videos, reading the rulebook in ten minutes has me really pumped. God damn this one looks like it will be a hoot. Pretty straightforward, elegant, as STEEVE put it (thanks for the suggestion, you loveable goof!), and varied. Really hope I can get 5 to the table, I want the whole sea to be available for shenanigan opportunities.

If I'd saved that first pic you deleted I'd be on my way to raid your shelf. Good stuff.

That what brought up Ortus Regni, yes. Playing it for free though over several nights with my bestie while he is in residence at the edge of the continent, THAT sealed the deal.

Nostrum was initially suggested by STEEV, along with another user putting Antiek II forth. Thoughtful cringe man helped tip scale a little bit, I'll admit.

Zee kept bringing up Blue Moon in a lot of top ten lists I caught in the past two weeks, which rekindled my interest after it was initially piqued during FFG's preview run of the game.

>not pictured: Theseus: the Dark Orbit, which I caught at a flgs having a five year anniversary sale, 15% off, in a place where tax adds up to 15%. That is hidden away for the wife to open up on Christmas morning. Hex is one of the first games that got us both into meatier games, and one of her favorites. Hope the designer kept the creative design juices flowing in this one. Been on my wishlist for years.

only if you played with me whatever you take first

>Krosmaster

There's this guy in my area who was all about pushing it. I played a game against him, and it seemed interesting. Funny thing is his toxic personality killed the game completely. From throwing tantrums with store owners, to just being a shit head to deal with. I don't hear kros mentioned here very often, just kind of a funny memory, sort of sad though.

>Guild Ball

Alive and kicking in my area. Picked it up, but then it just sat around while I was building armies for too many other damn systems so I sold it off. Price point is nice and low for new players, and that's always a plus.

>Confrontation

I've actually gotten some of those minis without knowing what they were from at cons with people just selling spare minis. I thought what I found would make sweet minis for tabletop rpgs, turns out they're from a game. Some of the best damn werewolf sculpts out there.

>Necro/Mord

Dunno about necro, but there's always corehiem. Fan made, I think they got rid of all the wonky rules, but they stated that they killed the spirit of it sort of in the process. Would still play it given the opportunity.

Oh, also, there's frostgrave. I like the idea of using any mini you want to represent stuff. Cool way to have some really unique forces.

Oh, also not featured: Blood Bowl: Team Manager, and El Grande: Decennial Edition (which I picked up for 40$ a few weeks ago in the boonies)

Does anyone know a good site for Canadian buyers for boardgames?

I got my pretty box of joy at BoardGame Bliss. I shopped at Starlit Citadel when I lived near their warehouse, as they do pickups, bot I noticed a lot of their games were more exensive than BGB. Bliss also has stupid cheap flat shipping rates in eastern provinces, while Starlit has the cheaper threshold for free shipping.

neither has Falling Skies, and are thus both objectively useless

youtube.com/watch?v=DvR6-SQzqO8
How was your drive to work this morning? I had to take my wife to the airport at 5 in the snowy/rainy/no visibility morning.

espacejeux.tv if you're in Montreal, but I guess they ship around too.

It's nice to be able to pick up a game, the guy lives a few streets from me.

Yeah, Krosmaster attracts a lot of toxic weaboos and manchildren, the board gaming scene doesn't take it too seriously, but local anime stores have regular tourneys.
They shifted their business model to blind booster packs. Screw that, the game is dead to me.

>local anime stores
tf do you live

In the land of drugs, criminals, rapists and (I assume) some good people.
Krosmaster really took off in Mexico City for some reason.

>today i learn beaners have both anime stores and euro-level internaitonal shipping despite being america's pants.

Time to run north. All the way north.

I've never seen it played and I know every single store that sells either Magic, Warhammer or X-Wing.

Anyone ever play Edge City?

I love the cyberpunk-style aesthetic of it all, but I don't know if it's actually good or not.

Lol you got me, I've never been to Mexico

What do people think of the Arkham Horror LCG? I've never played a LCG before but was thinking of picking it up because the co-op play and deckbuilding sounded interesting.

Bump.

If it's anything like their last co-op LCG, it will be good but will require everyone you play it with to really buy into the system.

>I got a big thing and never realized that archives exist! :^)

>Dice Tower is complete garbage
>That and other news at 10.

I just sold my Twilight Imperium game, and I don't regret anything. It was just too big, too long, and had too many rules, I couldn't handle it.

just kidding, I sold it because it wasn't big enough, and there weren't enough rules. Virgin Queen is my new waifu

One of the hosts is "the board gaming pin up girl". She's fucking awful. And maybe someone needs to remind her that pin ups are all about objectification.

And that pin up girls werent fat.

I paid $500 for the full Shadows of Brimstone pledge plus shipping back when the exchange rate was a lot better. I kinda regret it because it took me forever to cut out and glue together all the stuff from just the two core boxes, and I have a metric ton of more plastic still coming which I doubt I'll ever get to the table.

Women think language is opression.

It's fucking illegible anyway.

Is Firefly: the Game worth getting? Our group ranges in get togethers of 4 to 8, though the single player aspect seems like it'd be good for learning how to play the game before introducing it to friends.

How about Panic Station? Amazon reviews mention using a different ruleset, any ideas on what the 2.2 rules do differently from the base rules?

> Does anyone know any good kids games?

The King of Silence is my favorite one. You see who can be the King of Silence and be silent for the longest amount of time.

Works most of the time.

You are absolutely right however I only have played the digital version - which I really like

Never played decent, but I definitely know about it. It sounds like a total skirmish game, which is very similar to Dungeon Saga. I'll admit, DS is the most fun I've had sober in a while, especially against someone who knows how "gaming" works. Its all about killing and effectively positioning your PCs to have the best advantage. Very much TBS vidya feel, but you could totally make a campaign using the Adventurers Companion.

Interesting, I really like the idea of PvP, but without a willing participant or an overlord the best opponent is yourself. Sadly Ai is impossible to emulate on the TT without creating play bottlenecks. Good to know. As a side note there was solo play rules in the D&D box I had bought (I think basic ed3?)

Never heard, but I'll check it out...

Wow, thanks for the great analysis, and at least since I have the modern Zombicide i'll tend to agree.

It sounds like crawlers (sorry Warhammer quest guy) tend to lack the ability to tell a story and give the players a sense of progression in a campaign sort of sense **unless** the "overlord" has a bigger picture in mind.

I'll admit that I really like/love the 3d aspect of the "crawlers" --- it makes it easier for a pleb like me to get into the game. The potential for randomness is also an appeal. It's never the same, granted in the same system, but I guess i'll need to DM better or have the PCs buy into a longer campaign to make these games more compelling.....

its just my thought.

Please critique

FUCKING DO IT ! Shadows of Brimstone is so much fun. I mean, it's shit. But it's soooo immersive, engrossing. One of my legit favorite game, even though I'm well aware everything about it is wonky

bgg related ? Eh. How about just bg related ? My favourite memory from my childhood is playing Nightmare\atmosfear for the first time.
TO THE BLACK HOLE YOU MAGGOT !

Here be my experience (if X or Y isnt there, I didnt play it, simple as that)

My favorite is Shadows of Brimstone, but I have great fondness for the new Warhammer Quest (havent played the older one but I heard it's very similar to Brimstone...) and the Dungeons & Dragons that was only released in europe back in 03'

I bought my 3ed? D&D set used at a game store, it had minis that were "painted", and a basic rule book which I thought was AWESOME! because of the ease of use and streamlined rules, again America is where I got it. So are you saying that there was an EU only release of 3ed Basic? (note this is a guess and I know nothing about boxed sets of D&D outside of something I saw as a kid in the 80's).

SofB is something I will now research. Thanks seemingly euro user!

No, I'm talking about a Hasbro\Parker released board game, it was like a "heroquest 2.0" with derpy minis. Tons of fun, playing the dungeon master is a bit boring as it tends to be with heroquest, though.

Cool before i google-fu post your pictures!

Sure, here's a mock setup. Some of that stuff might be from the expansions. Blue & green dice are definitely from expansions.

Oh my fucking god I had this game when I was a kid. Never played it though. I remember laying out the board and looking throgh the cards and the minis. Was it good?

It's pretty fun, rules are simple and straightforward, feels a lot like heroquest. I like the combat dice (with different colors associated with different strength). Like I said, being the dungeon master isnt that fun unless ou really get into the storytelling, but oh well. Heroquest isnt without it's flaws either.

Btw you made me feel old as shit.

Which one of these games would you recommend for a group of 4~6 players, I am looking for something that feels like a RPG videogame.

Each person has a class, and you need to kill monsters and do quests.

I thought about Descent, but the Overlord kinda bums out 1 person, and the app is only 1 campaign.

Also maybe something with a more unique combat system.

>the app is only 1 campaign.
There's actually two, and the non-main quests are randomized. And there's the randomized dungeon mode. Take note the quests aren't Skyrim "go here and do this" but whole missions with different setup and objectives.

Well, I mean, board games never tend to be great at story telling. The best I've seen is descent, but that's less of an immersive world and more like playing house of the dead or star fox, where outcome A or B depends on if you win or lose. Even then, sometimes it's not even that much. Losing just means the overlord is a little stronger on the next go around, or a few lines of text change. Story wise, you could do just as well buying a bunch of prepainted pathfinder/d&d zombies minis, drawing up the map of a tomb, and placing points of interest on a map as well as spawning points, and using a deck of cards or dice to determine what happens/how things behave.

For example.

>The players are looking for the lost idol of Koth in order to push back an evil invading the land. Rumors say it was stolen by a grave robber. Research shows the robber was last heard of going to a tomb. Players start at entrance. Lots of bodies in the place, one has the idol.
>One player investigates a body
>roll 5+ on d20, or draw a 5+ from a deck
>The dead hunger!
>spawn X zombies in spawn locations
>draw card for behavior
>drew a heart
>zombies proceed to attack the character with the lowest health, or any character within x distance

And so on and so forth. You just can't get a very rich story from most board games like you can a well done actual RPG.

King of Tokyo? It's got science fiction monsters.

I think Takenoko would be fun for a young lady. It's got pandas plus you have to use strategy and reasoning.

I see he's met my friends.

There are plenty of expensive non-plastic kickstarters. I played this one crap co-op cube pusher, Bloc By Bloc, that got me so triggered I looked it up. It was $50 + shipping. Holy fuck it still makes me angry. I got Mechs vs Minions for less than $20 more than a game that comes with 6 small-ass dice, 80 smaller-ass cubes, ~150 cards, and 25 cardboard tiles... Where the fuck did the money go?
I bring it up again because I just listened to The Secret Cabal and they loved that shitty game. It firmly solidifies my distrust of Jamie Keagy's opinions.
It's a college board game club, spergs are more frequent. Some shitter was probably being shitty outside the limits of the game and someone else finally had had enough.
Ooooh, it's those two? Haven't looked at it yet but of all the segments I skip on Board Game Breakfast, theirs is out of pure cringe.... That said, I don't mind them having a hot take on inclusiveness and asking Tom to put it on the channel. While we can argue about whether it's an actual issue (it is), no ones shoving their YouTube video down your throat. I just wish when people do stuff like this, that their thoughts are more organized, and if it has to be a video, someone with some actual charisma should do it

Never shit a shitter