I just want a comfy, simple...

I just want a comfy, simple, very basic dungeon adventuring game that I can start in 15 minutes and play for a few hours without prep work.

With campfire stories.

Dungeon World?

Okay. Is it easy and quick to set up?

Here you go.

Yeah.
Also good.

Sorry to go off topic, but is there a good compendium sight where I can download a lot of these cozy pixel-gifs I see people use on Veeky Forums?

How little prep are we talking?

Great. Thanks!

I'd like some more of those too.

Ryuutama.
You'd have to tweak a little for actual dungeon crawling, but it's as comfy as it gets.

And Dungeon World sucks.

This is like the one time when recommending Dungeon World is actually appropriate. It doesn't do a lot of things, but it sure does quick and easy dungeon diving.

Beyond The Wall is an OSR (early dnd derivative) that was streamlined for being able to incorporate back story and world building into character generation at cons. Takes very little time, easy to run, gets everyone involved quickly.

Failing that the Black Hack is dirt simple, and so is Into The Odd. Both might be a bit more grit than comf tho.

15m?

Don't have time to tweak anything but I'll take your suggestion under advisement.

This is frikkin awesome! Thanks, user!

Two questions: is this related to Dungeon World or completely different? Why use 2d10 for most rolls but a d12 for attribute rolls?

Anyone got a PDF of the black hack?

This.

I'll go one step further and say that the main mechanic is rolling 2d6. Rolling 1-6=Failure, 7-9=Partial Success (You do the thing you intended but at a contextual cost), and 10+ = Perfect success.

You could literally just take that and run a simple game off the roll results. There is more, like class abilities, ability score modifiers, equipment, damage dice other than d6's, etc., but if you just wanted to jump in with 0 prep, all you need is 2d6.

It's a little stand-alone RPG, wholly unrelated. Something about trying to capture the old-school feel but easy to play and with some more modern mechanics.

2d10 for attacks? Nice distributions and opportunities to work with it.
d12 for attributes? The answer lies with the dev. I suppose he felt sympathy for the underused d12.

Have some more classes while I'm here.

Dark souls 2 is best souls

Hey guys, what all makes a game comfy/cozy?

I'm in the process of writing up a setting specifically for a campaign lime that: lots of traveling, exploration, with a lower sense of urgency to try to capture the atmosphere of a lighthearted adventure with occasional serious thrown in.

So far to make it comfy, I'll steal OPs idea and have an NPC travel with the party that offers to start with the first campfire story. Then, I'll find a way to encourage others to do campfire stories.

So yeah, what other ways to make a campaign comfy/cozy?

For the most part, the land is not prowled by horrifying beasts, so characters naturally will pass the time being something other than vigilant.
Whenever characters are travelling through peaceful lands, they take turns telling stories. One character story per "hex" of overworld movement, as well as a random encounter with peculiar but harmless wildlife or another group of travelers who may have their own brief tale of the goings-on.

When PCs tell stories, you figure out ways to incorporate their character motivations into the plot.
When NPCs tell stories, you can deliver hints about where the PCs can find some plot action.

Characters who tell stories get XP.
I worked basic D&D into a token-based XP system where 1 token = 1/10 of the XP for a fighter to level up. The party shares XP, so whenever someone gains XP from telling a story, everyone benefits to an extent. This has been shown to effectively kill munchkin-like behavior.

It's nostalgia, plain and simple. I associate dungeon crawling with childhood fun.

AC, HP, simple rules, dark dungeons, skeletons, goblins, basic classes, etc. It's all nostalgia.

no idea but I do have a few

>)

Most of them seem to be Dark Souls related.

there are others, though.

comfy is the best feel.

This is just pixel art in general, not related to fantasy specifically.

But yeah, it's nice.

Darkest Dungeon is another source.

What's the name of the font that's used in the OSH PDFs?

HNNNGGGGGGGG

SO COMFY

I disagree, but for some reason I find it to be the comfiest of the Souls games. There's something about how it's more grounded in traditional fantasy compared to the other two that makes it really nice for me.