D&D 5th Edition General /5eg/

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Thread Topic
Is there a character that you really struggled to roleplay as? Did you manage to overcome this and how?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/cleric-divine-domains
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Last thread

I struggle to make my players roleplay.

Yes actually.

When my first character died in Curse of Strahd, I wanted to try my hand at playing Edgy McEdgemaster. But so far, I've not really had any edgy moments. Which is a damn shame, I've pretty much just been a living artillery, but I want to be cringe-worthy and shameful. Being edgy is harder than I thought.

nth for kobold dragon-hunting party

NEW CLERIC DOMAINS AVAILABLE HERE FOR PLAYTESTING
dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/cleric-divine-domains

I know that feel. I have one player (Bard) who pretty much does all the roleplaying and drives the campaign forward.

Forge has me wanting to play a cleric right now. Too bad I'm a forever DM.

>how do i make 5e do thing.
>play a different game
>i dont think there are any games that do thing, and Ive plated a lot of games.
>there are lots. honest
>do you have a single example?
>go to the requests board, where dreams go to die.
wow. thats shockingly cunty behavior right there.

Anyone who doesn't play a Forge Cleric as a dwarf is wrong. In fact, anyone who doesn't play a dwarf is wrong. In even more fact, anyone playing a dwarf is wrong.

o yea fuck i forgot to put them in the OP, thanks

can't you just look at the stars and say some stupid shit like "we wish our lives were as bright as they are" ?
plus in CoH you just have to become a werewolf or a thrall, and you're all set for your edge corronation.

But the thing is, we, in /5eg/, really don't care about this.
Like I actually don't give a fuck that someone wants to play Diablo3 in a roleplaying tabletop game and can't seem to make 5e into what it is so fully fucking designed NOT to be.

So yeah, fuck off to where dreams go to die.

How can you see the stars in Barovia when the damn fog is obscuring just about everything?

you don't need to see them
thats how edgy you may want to be

Is it wrong if I want to play a sneaky kobold cleric who sneaks into warehouses and turns their entire stock into a collection of platinum coins as an involuntary contribution to the church?

Oooooh, I see where you're going now. That is edgy. I'mma have to write this down.

Forge Cleric looks like a better artificer than the UA Wizard Artificer.

And a complete bro if you have a Fighter teammate at early levels.

First character I ever played was a paladin, and I was downright shit at it. I was greedy and cowardly and I would've probably fallen if the DM wasn't as new as I was during that time.

I realized halfway through the campaign how terrible of a paladin I was playing and planned some sort of turnaround moment where I would realize flaws and whatnot in character and attempt to atone for my misdeeds, unknowing that the session right before i made the revelation would be the last of that campaign after most the group lost time to play.

i guess today i learned i'm good at something

I actually would have dumped a list of a couple dozen systems if you'd made a thread on /wsr/. But you decided to shit up another D&D5e thread instead, so you can get fucked.

Oh fuck, we need a recipe book of using d&d monsters. Hopefully it's also a monster manual.

Ive been that player in a 4 man group, was pretty frustrating having 3 people play follow the leader behind me the whole campaign.

What's the best puzzle you've encountered in a campaign?

Manticores are pretty cool.

eh, im not actually looking for a different system to do it with, i was just curious how you would manage such a high combat videogamey campaign in 5e.

only reason i asked for examples after you said it was a task for a different system and that many exist that can do it, was because having scouted around for different games over the years just to try new things, ive never encountered one in this sort of random hyper-combat-hordes rpg genre, and the closest i could think of is 4e.

Guys, running a 9 man group with only two vet players in a few weeks. Anyone run big groups got some pointers?

> Inb4 don't, it's just going to happen anyway

Home made adventure, extremely open ended - I'm not expecting them to get very far anyway, with so many and so new.

I've never honestly recommended DtD40k7e for something before, but there you have it.

Biggest thing id say as someone who had the misfortune of playing in an 11 man group a couple times is definitely time the turns in combat. Keep it down to a minute or two per player or combat will take hours for a basic encounter.

At any level really. It doesn't say the bonus doesn't stack with other magical weapon bonuses.

It says you can only enchant a nonmagical item.

Now I wanna do a Dragonborn Forge Cleric who is on a zen-style quest of self-improvement by reforging his own scales.

Why does ringmail exist if martial classes let you start with chainmail?

Would it be a dick move to impose a hoise rule that any class that starts with chainmail now starts with ringmail instead?

Good call, 2 minute egg timer and I'll try not to be pushing much combat. I get the feeling these guys mostly want to scale walls and charm barmaids, all the kind of stuff you see in sitcoms about D&D.

They probably expect a dragon at the end of session one though, don't they

It's so that shittier, cheaper armor exists for NPCs or PCs rolling for starting wealth.

This and when you make the party go through the "let's be paupers again and make our way to the top without any equipment".
It's pretty fun in 5E since you don't give out many magical items, so most players aren't that mad when their mundane shit gets stolen. And it's amazing for some subclasses (eldritch knights, bladelocks)

I'm just happy I can now play a good aligned death domain type cleric who really hates undead thanks to the grave domain.

I am a homebrew race that has access to claws as a natural weapon. If I make an attack, then bonus action second claw attack, do I add my Strength modifier since it an unarmed attack to that or does that fall under Two Weapon Fighting Style because it's technically a weapon?

It depends where you're getting that bonus action attack from.

If it's from monk then yes, though you could use Dex for attack and damage instead.

Otherwise, natural weapons are not light melee weapons, so you can't TWF with them at all and thus have bonus action attack.

I am not a Monk, so that answers that. I'd have to take the TWF at minimum to do so and the TWF Style to add my mod to that damage. Thank you user

But like I said, you can't TWF with natural weapons anyway, just like you can't TWF with unarmed strikes.

Oh, then fuck that entire plan then. I'll stick with my longsword

>Have 1000 copper pieces
>Turn them into 1 platinum piece

>forge clerics don't get access to martial weapons

cool

good for dm's who don't hand out bags of holding or it's coin-only variant

Wasn't there a ritual in 4E that gave you a magic box, you put copper, silver, or art objects into it, closed it and when you opened it had its value in gold?

I miss that spell, made all those times the GM goes "Okay, and the dragons horde is 23,000... Copper pieces, enjoy!" Or getting like a large tapestry worth 3,000 gold but that is assuming you can transport it without damage and find a buyer three towns over. Some things like that are cool until you end up with five tapestries, four paintings, three bejewelled platinum bracelets, a silver crown, a golden crown, two clockwork timepieces that are only worth anything to a drauger and gnome respectively, a griffon feather cloak, sixteen jade figurines and two bottles of fine elven perfume, and 2,200 platinum coins that are minted from a razed city of necromancers so no one accepts their currency in case it is cursed.

It's not that I dislike cool art objects and that, its just that we've been through two cities so far and each one only managed to sell a few items and I'm tired of parking our wagon outside a dungeon or enemy camp and worrying if some douchebag bandits are going to luck out and steal it and the fifty thousand gold worth of art inside that we can't sell.

We've got that wagon enchanted with about three different spells to conceal it, chains enchanted with arcane lock to sieze the wheels so no one can drive it away, most of the valuables are in hidden, arcane locked compartments and we have a pair of third level ranger NPC hirelings each with a mastiff to guard it. We're considering either adding an arcane glyph of summoning to it, triggered by our wizards familiar who tends to sit on the wagon while we adventure, or possibly investing in hiring an enchanter to make us a small gargoyle like bound elemental.

The DM's Guild material has either been endorsed in a UA review article or in the Dragon+ digital magazine.
Personally of that material I'm a big fan of the Pugilist.

It seems like it's too easy to regenerate Moxie. Is the class balanced? Under or overpowered?

That's why you pay the expensive services or a third party to get rid of your shit on the sides. There is no need for a boring ritual when you have a fascinating and engaging answer to a very interesting issue encountered by a group of adventurers.

Ugh. Pugilist is awful.

forge cleric merfolk fucker!

priest working the forges of the black smokers! swordcrafter with blades hardened by the crushing depths!

FUCK

Yer a smith, laddie, nae a soldier.

It's overpowered and not really well made in the first place. Pugilists should just be fighter subclasses with the usual maneuvers, just like Monster Hunter, Cavalier and the likes.

It's thematically poor and mechanically stupid.

any Volo's scans out yet, or at least a detailed reference to PC races?

I guess, none of us have any solid contacts in the area so I'm a bit hesitant to say "Here is 50k of treasure, send us the money in the mail." but it might be worth looking at.

It's in the MEGA, you fuck.

The whole thing's been in the Mega for weeks, user.

Check the mega.

>Forge Domain
>no bonus tool proficiencies
C'mon, man. It's not like including it would affect the game in any way.

Grave Domain is a nice addition for people looking for a non-evil death cleric.

If that doesn't work, Glyph of Warding+Conjure Minor elementals should cost around 360gp to enchant, and a familiar should be able to trigger it easily enough.

Drop 2,000 gold and you can enchant your wagon with 6 glyphs, if there is ever a scrape that your Hireling can't handle, Familiar taps one of the glyphs and summons 8 mephits. If its a dangerous threat, the Familiar can trigger a couple. Plus they won't likely be able to "Wait out" the hour long duration without the telepathic message from your familiar calling the party back outside if it is a credible threat. Anything that can fight past 48 Mephits to steal your wagon is worth the party going on a revenge quest for.

> blatantly not playing dwarf

what in the fuck do you think you're doing

GoW can't be cast on mobile objects like a Wagon traditionally, but as a GM I'd allow it. The "Non-moving" clause is mostly so players don't get their shields enchanted with a bunch of freebie spells.

Although I suppose it also runs the concern of the party rolling the wagon into fights to use it as a mobile mephit spawner but as long as they aren't using it like that what is the risk.

Alright 5eg, let's make a level one character.

Dubs decides race and subrace.

5 decides class.

9 decides background.

Feel free to use any races, classes, or backgrounds published by Wizards of the Coast.

Tabaxi outlander bard.

Uthgardt Tribe Member, Ranger.

Warlock

That was quick

>would it be a dick move to make martials slightly worse to play at low levels for no reason at all

Yes

Wild Magic Sorcerer
Far Traveler

I'm a little miffed they don't get a warhammer at least.

Any way, if I get to play one I'd go Dwarf or High elf. (high elf for longsword + GFB)

I don't reallly care about Forge not getting martial weaps but not getting some sort of artisan's tool proficiency is fucking bizarre

like battlemaster gets artisan's tools proficiency but the class that gets fucking magical powers because of how big their boners are for crafting shit doesn't

be a dwarf there you now have training in warhammers and different axes

monk
far traveler

Don't need smith's tools when you can forge things with raw faith in the course of an hour. Also, if you were serious about crafting, you'd already have that proficiency from your background.

What are some cool ice themed monsters a White Dragon could call to his service when attacked? I can only think of Ice Mephits. Any ideas?

Any decent Paladin Oath homebrews?

Buddy wants to do a campaign and the other guys are using some homebrew stuff so I figured I'd step out from PHB only for once.

Reroll

One of the things in the trove has an option for a Freedom Paladin. I made a robot George Washington with it.

so my friends and i finally finished princes of the apocalypse and we're about to beat strahd

abyss and storm king's thunder here we come

Alright, dubs now decides:
>what musical instrument/artisan tool we're proficient in
>shortsword or simple weapon?
>explorer's pack or dungeoneer's pack?
>forfeit equipment and cash it in for pennies?

>we're about to beat strahd
you sure about that?

DMs do play Strahd wrong. My group (who is doing CoS) was just minding our business when we heard the other group (doing CoS) just beat Strahd at level 4. We all collectively raised an eyebrow. The DM never used any of Strahd's legendary actions. So yeah, people are dumb as shit.

m-maybe

we got to that weird temple where the stones are, the ones that can grant vampirism and lichdom. we broke the stones but we're still confused as to what the fuck they are and where to fuck they came from

Carpenter's, unarmed or thrown (maybe sling) only, Pennies.

>The DM never used any of Strahd's legendary actions.

>he's a non-Dwarf Forge Cleric
ho ho ho ho ho laddie

Did you take the amulet from what's-his-name?

Don't you post osaka at me

>tabaxi monk

she has to be named tigress now

also, same as

>what musical instrument/artisan tool we're proficient in
Herbalist tools

>shortsword or simple weapon?
simple weapons

>explorer's pack or dungeoneer's pack?
Dungeoneer's

>forfeit equipment and cash it in for pennies?
No

Don't tell me what to do.

>Did you take the amulet from what's-his-name?

no, some other NPC took it and ran away when he gained the power to raise the dead, said he wanted to bring back his sister or something

Reminder that 9 still decides the character's background.

No. It never will be.

You really should have kept that amulet.

How'd you guys deal with the bastard sniper in the darkness in that statue?

we're steering clear of the statue, it shot a fireball at us and we're pissing ourselves. there's also a big gummy looking golem in a room full of gold that we're trying desperately to keep our rogue from stealing

City guard

carpenter's tools

simple weapons

Dungeoneer's

Cash for pennies

checked it out and it seems ok but doesn't really strike me in any way.

What I kind of want is something that would give me some form of ranged option. In the past I've had bad experiences with paladin and feeling pretty useless whenever something isn't within 30ft of me.

I guess I could MC or take magic initiate but that's not really an option, level 4 asi is already set and I don't really want to delay extra attack or auras

If I made a Ranger/Rogue hybrid that gets Advantage on Survival and Perception checks to track my Favored Enemy, is it better to place my Expertise in other skills or bolster my Survival/Perception scores

Thanks