You've been asked to contribute a single line to the Great Book of Player Advice

You've been asked to contribute a single line to the Great Book of Player Advice.

What do you add?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k6y4XYxhA-o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Talk to your GM. Communication is key, and before taking any other action or jumping to any assumptions, just talk to them and try to work it out. So many problems can be solved before they happen by just talking things through.

The answer to all your problems lies in superior firepower.

Don't base your character on whatever flavour of the month media you're into currently - if nothing goes wrong you'll be keeping them for months or years

Never disarm what you can bypass.

Running away is always an option.

Only use tactical nuclear strikes when you're sure you're the only one in range who can tank it.

Definitely this.

Play something you know you won't be bored with in a years time.

If a player is always wanting to make a new character then find out why they're disinterested in the first place.

Remember, it's only a game.

When you make a character, give them a motivation to actually cooperate with the other pc's and play the game.

The easy way is always mined.
Start a mine collection.

If you think it's a good idea, it probably isn't.

Don't be a dick.

Swallow your ego and go with the flow. Nothing worthwhile ever came from an argument during a game.

Always come to the table more curious than prepared.

Always geek the mage first.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Kill with a borrowed knife.

Exchange the roles of Host and Guest.

Violence is ALWAYS an option... but there is always a better way.

That doesn't work for players, who have to tell the GM the details of all their plans.

Good advice for a GM, tho.

A battle is a mean to an end, not an end on itself.

Yeah. Feeling the need to hide your plans from the GM is a sign of problems in the group.

A good GM will work with the players plans to make things interesting and fun.

I have played with shitty GMs before who made it seem like you should hide stuff from them, as they'd never work with players, using any information they had to screw them over regardless of how little sense it might make IC.

Loot a burning house. In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity.

Well, depends on the context. In a Wuxia game, a good battle is its own reward.

I never role play faster than I can see, other than that it's all in the reflexes.

3.PF monks are OP

Watch out the roof and the floor!

Tortilla chips are better than wotsits.

Always ignore the little girl.

>What do you add?
DICKS

holy shit this, always this, the little girl is always a fucking trap and in both measure

You joke, but I knew experienced players who were convinced of that.
One of them always plays wizard. Always the same build.

Rape is always an option

Ooh nice

Dont be late if you are late bring pizza

Assuming all the basic stuff is there, I'd add

"If you're playing a wizard, get a wizard hat. If you're playing a fighter, get a viking helmet. If you're playing a healer, get checked for STIs"

If it's a woman...ALWAYS SEDUCE.

A reference joke or concept is only good if it also works in the event that somebody doesn't get the reference.

Never inject your fetishes into the game.

*Feel free to use the fetishes already in the game

Beware of women...for they come from hell!

If you're in a party, let others shine too

_

Dont split the party.

That's not bad, but still, not as good as

|

In your games, you do not have to limit your characters to the outdated real-world notions of gender roles and sexual expression.

:^)

Never leave your room without:
A slashing weapon.
A piercing weapon.
A blunt weapon.
A cold iron weapon.
A silver weapon.
And a magic weapon.

You only need the magic weapon, and blunt weapons can always be improvised

The runes of virtue

I II
II I_

>fighting a beholder's werewolf minions while under his anti-magic gaze

Enjoy wishing you had held onto that silver mace.

Bring a six pack or a bag of chips or something. I'm tired of my snacks running out every week just because I'm running the game.

If they detect you alone as a rogue or equivalent, RUN. Do not fight. Use caltrops, smoke or wthever and rejoin the part or escape.

Bring a 10 foot stick to touch things with you.

Any of the usual lines that I'd tell every player in my group.
>Don't make a "quiet loner" character who doesn't like working with people. Because by the very nature of the game we're playing you're gonna have to work with people. Most prominently the other player characters who probably have no interest in dealing with that shit.

>Give your character some kind of motivation or end goal. Doesn't matter what it is. If its getting a fat load of cash find a reason why your character is so desperate to hoard money as to potentially risk their lives adventuring for it.

>The primary goal of a backstory, if you even want to bother writing one, is explaining how you acquired the few skills that you have. Avoid writing a novel and save your ideas for the actual game.

>Violence and sexuality is fine as long as it stays within the limits of good taste. You're not stupid children so don't behave like ones.

Plot the death of the DMPC.

Never let the Rogue out of sight

Craft (alchemy) solves all problems.

A +1 buff on five different people is better than a +5 buff on one person.

Anything can be a combat skill if you're creative or desperate enough.

Generally speaking, one cast of speak with dead is more reliable than a torture session, not to mention easier. It also keeps the lawful good types off your back. If your enemies hear that you torture prisoners for information, it might make it harder to take them alive.

The local religious leader is always more powerful (and helpful) than the local king, especially if they think you're trying to convert.

If the local religious leader IS the local king, he's the bad guy. No exceptions.

The more skill checks a plan requires to succeed, the less likely it is to succeed.

Your night watch is only as good as their search skill.

Traps are not a substitute for sentries. Not everything screams when it loses a leg, or even particularly minds losing one of its twenty legs.

Always keep your prisoners fully bound, gagged, and hog-tied. If anything goes wrong, you can coup de grace them and escape, and it makes it easier to stash them in a barrel in your cart when moving through town.

Never rely on a single knowledge check if you can get away with more, do multiple overlapping checks to work around potential bad rolls. Never depend on one person for all your knowledge checks either, encourage your party to have multiple redundant knowledge skills with each other to maximize information. This helps immensely when, say, trying to instigate a succession war by feeding a local rebel group information about military supply lines while the next-in-line for the throne is returning from a successful war campaign and his brother is getting drunk at the local bar.

A donkey, a cart, and a bunch of crates will let you carry a weeks worth of food up to the dungeon and every scrap of treasure back out. Make sure there's nothing valuable in the cart when you aren't around.

Kilroy was here

1. Cloaks and booze are standard adventuring equipment, if nothing else, you can use them to make impromptu molotovs.

youtube.com/watch?v=k6y4XYxhA-o

Don't be a twat.

Don't backstab your party.

Always roll openly.

Dead parents are the best parents.

Be polite, be professional, and have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Make the rogue go first.

don't be a cunt
Less meme worhty: It is common for new players and a times veteran players to use their skills as a effectively as they could, always try to see how far you push the use of your skills and be thinking where else your skills could apply.

If your group focuses on roleplay, don't build a character that is only good in combat. Likewise, don't write a five page backstory for a group of rollplayers.

"Dont be a cunt all you're life"

i.e. let characters develop over time, especially ones who dont fit the group in their current state

>Don't be a cunt all you are life

Bring a loaded dice for fun.

You are not your character, but you are responsible for your character.

Take down names and relations. Helps you, the players, and even the GM when someone of negligence might turn valuable later.

Killing the wrong people can land you into trouble. Killing more usually fixes this.

The best characters aren't designed in a vacuum. Talk to your group throughout the process to create inter-PC relations and a more coherent group overall.

Around blacks, never relax
Around elves, watch yourselves.

If you're gaming at your place, supply ice and non-alcoholic drinks.
If you aren't, supply or chip in for everything else.

>Another ribbonfag thread
Always shit

Always masturbate before going to a session, even if you don't feel the need at that moment.

Taking the spotlight is fine. Hogging the spotlight is not.

Liches are known for their awesome martial might, so be sure to forgo magical defenses and focus on the physical.

Make sure to immediately target other players for a slight that your character would not know about IC. Home in on them like a guided missile for no actual reason, they'll love it.

but user, jerking off only makes me hornier.

I don't know. From what I've seen, they actually tend to be some of the better threads on this board, if you mean the threads with Ribbon as the OP.

Ignore everything Veeky Forums says.

Breathe regularly

Don't cheat.

I'm the guy that likes switching all the time, how do you guys avoid getting bored with a character?

Low expectations.
Incredibly low expectations.

I find that if I make a gimmick character or someone with no room to grow, I get bored quickly. Similarly, if i make a character that doesn't really have a lot of depth I get bored quickly. Don't mistake that for backstory seoth however, as that's also a recipe for beind disatisifed with how the plot fits with your character. My favorite characters are the ones where they have a fairly normal backstory but where I put a ton of work into their personality, how they would react to certain situations, etc. And then you bite your gm's hooks.

People never take anyone's advice and only become better through pain and effort.

You don't know the character fully after you made them. You give them blank spots to fill in and room to grow as the adventure goes.

If you're bored, make bold moves and take the riskier path. Playing it safe might move the story along faster, but the stories players talk about for years are those made by epic moments (even those ending in cataclysmic failure :P)

>The flavor text is irrelevant/meaningless, all that matters are the game mechanics. Run the numbers so you have a sense of the game's balance and can tell if an option is good or shitty.

I agree with all your points.
As a secondary dm trying to become a player I'm having issues creating a character with long term potential and believable motivation. This is especially an issue because I need to create a character with experience, because the party is already level 10.
I'm trying not to overlap with any of the players and will most likely need to play a fighter or barbarian type.

Build something useful. You don't have to BE useful all the time.