Moana is coming out tomorrow. This makes me wonder, how would you take islander culture and make a RPG setting for it?

Moana is coming out tomorrow. This makes me wonder, how would you take islander culture and make a RPG setting for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wyv0ZlW0yS0
forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8736
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

she has a smug and extremely punchable face

Quite easily, as it stands.

Unrelated, but if Disney makes Moana a Princess before Elsa and Anna there'll be hell to pay.

Sometimes I wonder if all the paranoia about shills is justified.

>Unrelated, but if Disney makes Moana a Princess before Elsa and Anna there'll be hell to pay.
They were literally princesses to begin with.

They both do. The big one is more punchable though because of his retarded weapon.

That's b8, and a big one at that.

Good! Then their job is made easier!

The reason Elsa isn't a princess is because her overwhelming popularity would turn the Disney Princess brand into "Elsa and her lame friends"

>This makes me wonder, how would you take islander culture and make a RPG setting for it?

Constant incest and lets cut down all the trees because of reasons is a must.

Personally I would shill that shit on /co/ but then again I'm not paid to shitpost so I've no idea how the professional do it.

Rip off the first few years of Bionicle.

Robots optional, but encouraged.

>The big one is more punchable though because of his retarded weapon.
>the big one with huge muscular arms and a barrel chest is more punchable
Don't come crying to me when he decides to hit you back.

I remember people being salty over him being "obese".

Ever see a fucking Samoan? Those guys are pretty huge.

That retarded weapon is also a club that weighs more than the girl does.

I was judging solely on facial expression, the big one just looks like your generic ape

she looks like a right cunt though

she also looks like she's balding

In what universe do you think that Disney, literally the biggest media company in the entire world, has any vested interest in viral marketing on the traditional gaming board of Veeky Forums

This isn't some indie developer marketing their kickstarter rpg. Disney literally does not need to bother here.

Polys already are an rpg culture, they're either reasonably peaceful explorers or cannibalistic murder-hobos, depending on locale.

>Using that guy as a reaction image
Alright, I've had enough Internet for today.

I never noticed before how grotesque that dude looks

You should probably ask again in a few hours, OP. Daytime Veeky Forums is mainly comprised of jobless sexually-frustrated NEETS.

>Daytime
And here we have a person that doesn't realize it's always nighttime somewhere in the world.

I never got that. Wouldn't having a weedy Samoan be more insulting?

It's because SJWs are inherently unpleasable and they WILL find new reasons to bitch, always.

It will depend

id say Bioincles did the maroi mythology better

that's a big bait

>I remember people being salty over him being "obese".
Not a single person who was salty over his 'obesity' was an actual islander. All of us have uncles and braddahs that look like that. Some aunties too.

The bigger thing that confuses us about him being so huge is that Maui is a trickster god - like Loki or Anansi. When you hear the stories about him, he's not described like this huge, moked out dude. He's a dude who tricks his brothers into providing the muscle for fishing up islands, etc. I read pic related when I was little - that scrawny-kid look is always how I pictured Maui.

This is what the West is for in Exalted, kiddies.

More seriously y'all need to read up on Hawaiian creation myths. Shit is RAD.

Lol why does she have a pet pig? I do not know much about Hawaiian tribal culture but im pretty sure they love a good pork roast.

Know a Hawaiian who goes fucking crazy for SPAM too.

Well, think about it user. His brothers might have been the ones doing the paddling, but he was the one holding onto the line, so he's at least as strong as all of his brothers put together.

All I need to know is that those islanders make fucking macuahuitls but with shark teeth instead of obsidian. That's brutal.

Also I hope they include that one Solar Fragment song about Moana in that movie.

Why is this bait?

but user world is only a flat AMERIKA that stands on three donkeys or elephants (depends on who won the election)

Look at the hook the dude's holding.

Due to its shape and the barbs on the end.

and there's already rule34 of it

i-is it good?

Hello newfriend, welcome to Veeky Forums

You'll find that we use a lot of terminology that doesn't accurately reflect real-world conditions. Why, someone might call you a fag even though they don't know anything about your sexual orientation!

youtube.com/watch?v=wyv0ZlW0yS0

The rock can sing

You guys know that bait is the tasty stuff attached to the hook, right

The hook part is called a "hook"

>not knowing the fishhook of Maui, fashioned of his divine grandmother's jawbone, which he smeared with his own blood as bait and used to drag up the fish of new zealand

haha get a load of this guy

Well to be fair in B8 meme images the hook isn't usually baited

>bait is the tasty stuff attached to the hook
That's what the pig (or Moana herself) is for, my nigga.

>Well to be fair in B8 meme images the hook isn't usually baited
I assumed that's because most people on Veeky Forums are unfamiliar with fishing.

that sea nigger bitch looks like a right cunt

I don't think anyone is that dumb.
>that bait is the TASTY stuff attached to the hook
Do you eat minnows or something? Just gobble them up with your bare hands in the bait shop?

Hawaiians and probably other polynesian cultures kept Pigs and Dogs as both pets and food. They thought it was weird that white people drew a line between which one was acceptable to eat. Her keeping a pet pig is no weirder than anyone now having a pet pig

I think they played more on the "hawaiian superman" aspect of him for this movie

>ITT insecure faggots who feel threatened over the confidence of an ANIMATED female character
when did "males" become such pussies? does a cartoon girls facial expression trigger you this hard?

>Do you eat minnows or something? Just gobble them up with your bare hands in the bait shop?

I know you were just trying to be clever, but minnows are delicious.

Does anyone else read the story of Maui slowing down the sun and then imagine a modern retelling of it where Maui is a cop that pulls over the sun for speeding? It seems to me like something that would make for a humorous skit or comic.

A dog is a fellow predatory species and often a coworker. A pig, on the other hand, is just another prey animal. That's why we draw that line.

For the record, I'd totally plow that brown pussy while looking her straight in the eye.

Yeah, I understand that as Disney asked people about Maui stories, they kept getting that he was essentially viewed like Polynesian Superman. They decided the best way to convey this to the non islanders was to make him buff despite the myths. His unkempt appearance is part of the story too, as he's been away from civilization for awhile.

I'm not trying to be clever in the slightest. Just want to imagine someone pounding minnows hand over fist in a bait shop.

user, this is trolling.

Some tips for the future - when you see terms like "Nigger", "Cunt" and "Ape" being thrown around, it is probably being done to get a reaction out of you. Also see "Fag", "Cuck", "SJW" etc.

You sadly failed this time but you'll do much better in the future I'm sure!

>That's why we draw that line.
I hold doubt people reasoned in that sense.

>They thought it was weird that white people drew a line between which one was acceptable to eat

literally savages

thats cultural appropriation and i am triggered uwu

Not consciously, anyways. Consciously, we saw dogs as friends/family because, between working alongside them and them being fellow pack hunters, they were integrated into our social network. Now, in the islands where the vast majority of hunting was done at sea, there might be a different story.

Well you should try them because they're delicious

But they are right, give me 1 (one) reason that would differentiate between eating a pig and a dog that isn't traditional or practical in nature.

>Samoans are obese

Fuck that's dumb. Islanders are built for musclefat because their ancestors selected for traits that let them survives spending months at a time fucking around in the pacific ocean in canoes. They have the highest rates of statistical obesity but comparatively low rate of heart problems related to weight. Plenty of diabeetus, though.

That said, I wouldn't fuck with 300 pound Samoan dude for any price. Even if he does look like a fatty, he can probably crush a dude's skull. And he probably has thirty cousins who will back him up.

The dog thinks you're his family, the pig doesn't. Can you stomach betraying your dog so thoroughly?

I bet you're triggered because you have a punchable face irl

>the pig doesn't.
If you think pigs are less intelligent, conscious or affectionate you'll be surprised.

Not that user, but I am curious, tell me about minnows

It's a cultural thing, surprisingly, people from completely different parts of the world think about things differently due to many different circumstances.

>Not that user, but I am curious, tell me about minnows

Get a package of this and try it for yourself.

My aunt and uncle used to live in Japan and they'd bring me a few bags of this every time they came back to visit. Shit's addictive yo

Pigs are smarter than you think

Holiest of worldbuildings:

What exactly am I looking at? Do these mix bags have any particular name? I live in Ireland so this kind of stuff counts as an exotic import and might not be easy to locate, fucking Lucky Charms are 8 eurodollars a box in this place.

Dogs can tell where humans are looking and often follow their gaze. They'll also instinctively look at where humans point. They can recognize human facial expressions and can identify tones of voice. A dog's mind is about as close as you can get to a human mind outside of the primates. Pigs can't even compare.

This way:

Why do they wear the mask?

Lets be honest here, the muhrines in comic are absolutely right about the Hawaii&its natives.

Canibal shark people

Also Elsa is a Queen, no need for a demotion

That giant-ass whalebone hook is the coolest shit you faggot.

Holy devilw orldbuilding:

jawsome

>That giant-ass whalebone hook is the coolest shit you faggot.

Last time when I saw this much shit taste was when a German erotica festival visited my hometown.

While you're correct at least in regards to Veeky Forums being the wrong place to shill you'd be wrong if you were trying to claim no shills exist. Veeky Forums has had shills for the better part of the last decade now.

Pigs recognise individuals and simple linguistic patterns, form social ties, learn from each other and can play video games.
can dogs play video games?

Actually the new zealand parliamentarian who complained was a Maori woman

Dogs can bring you your slippers and stare into your soul

I'm pretty sure they can, and pigs never experienced evolutionary pressure nor selective breeding to socialize better with humans. Can you really eat something that was made to be your friend?

But can they play videogames?

You can use pigs to get rid off your unwanted bastard children.

Sharks do it better, and you don't even have to domesticate them to get them to do the job!

> Can you really eat something that was made to be your friend?

Given that dogs are/were regularly eaten in Europe, Americas and Asia? Yes, you can.

>I'm pretty sure they can
Only certain primates were recorded passing that test

I'm confident that, with enough time and dog treats, I could train the family to play DDR.

>dogs were regularly eaten in europe

Why is there always the faggot who talks bullshit? And no, eating everything that is edible during a famine doesn't count as "regularly eats dogs".

>and pigs never experienced evolutionary pressure nor selective breeding to socialize better with humans.

I'm pretty sure all domesticated animals count as having been selectively bred through the millenia to be more docile around humans or domestication wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Alright, I'll grant you that there's been selective breeding for docility, but that's not the same as evolutionary pressure and selective breeding to see the human as your own packmate.

Always loved the idea of this style of setting after playing windwaker as a kid. I ended up becoming a sailing instructor I loved it so much. Still haven't played a game in a setting like that but maybe I'll try and incorporate it into the current game I'm running.

His comment hadn't nothing to do with the fact shes a female protagonist. Stop bringing gender and politics into everything.

Marines don't do shit to clean up the islands. The islands get funding because the marines are based there, but the jarheads are just as bad, if not worse than the mokes for 'cleaning up the islands.' At least the mokes only punch you out because you were giving 'em stink eye or acting big. I've seen military boys chuck glasses at people's heads for giggles.

Welcome to Veeky Forums.

>"What's that? A girl who isn't stripping for me? I'd better threaten to punch her or rape her."

Pro wrestling. Easy.

>I'd better threaten to punch her or rape her
no one did anything of the sort, please fuck off back to tumblr

>Lucky Charms costs twice as much in Ireland

Hi everyone!, I was raised in Hawaii and in school we were taught Hawaiian/Polynesian history. There's a couple places on Oahu, the Bishop Museum, the Polynesian cultural center, Waimea falls park, where you can see and experience Polynesian society, culture and the arts.

If I were to create an rpg setting it would involve discovery of land (they navigated via the stars in small canoes), settling -such as resource management especially food management -, taming the unknown - the Polynesians brought domesticated animals with them, but they still needed to control their newly found land, creatures such as sharks and poisonous insects were legitamet threats, unknown foods etc, there were also threats from other people's invading -while ethnically related there was little if any political organization that united the people of ancient Polynesia, there is also the high threat on natural disasters - weather primarily, but also volcanoes, tsunamis etc. but probably one of the most intriguing parts of Polynesian culture is the mythos. Gods like The goddess Pele (look up lehua blossoms), or the heroes like Maui (he pulled the island up while fishing). These characters are extremely fleshed out (remember no vidyas back then) and some have great tales to tell even in a modern Hawaii setting. There's the night marchers which even has bearing on how you face while sleeping in you bed.

Brah so much cool shit, even the weapons they made and how they made rope from sennit (the fibers around a coconut), tapa, and eventually how they made huge floating craft like the famous Hokulea (it's modern with a really cool story about Eddie aikau)

I don't think you could go wrong with this setting, but if youre some haole from the mainland you may just not get "it" (just joking)