Lets have a thread about pitches for game settings or system ideas

Lets have a thread about pitches for game settings or system ideas

>Modern superhero setting, with Spiderman or X-men types of hatred for the party
>Party should be young, just coming into powers, barely knowing what they're capable of yet
>While out of combat, put a real focus on keeping your identity hidden, dealing with the destruction you've caused, and getting shit for defending super heroes in public.
>Deconstruct for your players what it feels like to have true power, and then force the good willed to defend the innocent who hate and fear those more powerful than them

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconstruction
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>deconstruct
Please don't.

>Deconstruct

What do you mean by this? Im curious because everytime I see someone use this word they usually mean 'subvert', deconstruction doesnt work as a means to create something, its a means to analyze something. You subvert tropes or ideas, you dont 'deconstruct' them in order to create a story or motive or do the opposite of an idea.

Been working on a Final Fantasy game for awhile now. Probably going to be ready to playtest before long.

Last night I started laying the groundwork for something like Dishonored meets Battle Royale with a bit of Bloodborne thrown in. Really inspired by Blades in the Dark and City of Mist mechanically with some of my own ideas from the other game.

Thx m8, I'll update my grammar

So would it be a super stealth game? Would those not trained in stealth be like warriors from Bloodborne?

The Bootleg Power Rangers movie made me want to run a game about child soldiers (sentai or mahou shoujo or whatever you want) living in the remnants of a world peacefully transitioning into membership of a intergalactic empire and perhaps travel the wider galaxy dealing with the consequences of their actions and learning WHY child soldiers are recruited to fight proxy wars for an intergalactic game of chess.

A game about a group of kids in a 1910-20s English private school. Strange, evil things keep happening at the school and these kids band together to stop them.

Players wouldn't choose a class - their characters instead can take classes and join clubs each semester that help them learn certain abilities, like the fencing club, boxing club, chemistry class, etc. Magic exists but it's occult and very dangerous. It always requires some kind of sacrifice and dealing with dark, powerful entities. If a student wanted to learn that they would need a high enough INT and/or WIS to even find out about the student cults in the first place.

The kids will each need to use their unique abilities and knowledge to solve mysteries about the school and stop what's happening. For example, a chemistry student would be able to more easily detect sulfur at the sight of a student kidnapping, but may not have the occult knowledge another student would to understand that it means a demon stole away that child. Together, the chem student would use his lab privileges to stock up on the right chemicals the occultist knows will harm the demon, while their boxing club friend provides the muscle they need to fight their way through an underground cultist hideout their history student friend knew about by recognizing the Norse runes over the secret door to their hideout.

Would be like CoC meets A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.

The characters are cursed with occult supernatural powers by sympathetic Great Ones, following personal tragedy. As they balance the encroaching madness of using their powers with the sanity of protecting what little they have left, they are forced together by other Branded, who have given into the madness. City is a lot more like Dishonored, mad Branded are like beasts in Bloodborne. Players eventually become like the Hunters of Hunters.

I've had an idea to run a western-meets-pirates game for a while. I feel like these to settings kinda fit together. It'll either be fantastic, or a total trainwreck.

Forgot to answer your question: yes, the idea would be that the players are not supernaturally durable and so need to rely on stealth and Dishonored-style powers, but can hold their own in a fight and get a little crazy like Bloodborne hunters.

Like Blades in the Dark, there are meta abilities that circumvent tedious planning but using them or your character powers ups your Madness. Too high and you go crazy, but it is spent as XP so you have to toe the line.

Powers are determined one each by Personality, Occupation, Fear and Tragedy. Characters also have Motives, basically reasons why they don't just kill themselves for being hunted by madmen in a Victorian hellhole. Roleplaying these gives Sanity which can be spent at any time to reduce your Madness.

Looking to work in a Frenzy mechanic, thinking something like it sets your Madness to max-1 and Sanity to 0, but gives a guaranteed huge change in the story.

>Ghostbusters 2001: tokyo
cyberpunk X GB
>Astral Kaiju Battles
green lantern corps X pacific rim
>Stargate 1888
Victorian england gets the gate early, hijinx ensue

System Idea:
Got tired of not having campaign systems designed for use in an LGS that don't require the GM around.

A campaign system that works more like a string of pick up games with tug-of-war mechanics for deployment.

Each player interested in playing the game gets an HQ. The starting points value is determined by the ratio between how far each player is from their own HQ. In other words, the closer you are to your own base, the more points you can start a game with compared to your opposition. I still need to figure out what the maximum deployment point advantage can be before things get stupid levels of impossible for anyone trying to attack an opponents' HQ.

Of course, this means no tracking individual units on a campaign map. It's just a tug of war system.

To make it interesting, I'd run it on a hex map, randomly choose where HQs are located, and players can mark "Territory" with colored magnets or something. Each hex would represent a terrain type. Each fight would need to take place on a hex face, with the winning team moving forward, losing team losing the hex, if I want to keep things dynamic. Otherwise, defenders stay put.

I could do away with the hexmap style and draw things up as players with individual 1-10 bars for each opponent and post it on the wall. This way, nobody can get "Boxed out" of matches with other players, but I don't think that'd look as interesting and might be more of a pain in the ass as player-count increases.

Like most thimgs

You could do it Go style where the area you control doesn't necessarily need to be contiguous, but then give an additional bonus for controlling territory near the contested space.

If this is for a game with some kind of reserve system, you could use distance to determine how many points can be deployed and adjacent territory to determine how many points can be brought in from reserve.

Sounds brutal! I really like your idea and hope it plays out so everyone enjoys it.

1920's Supernatural minus constant family drama using CoC 7th. Anyone have tips on running this? I'm thinking it'll be main missions but also chances for story arch. The players will just have X days before meeting another investigator/person of intrest leaves place/ plot thing happens/ newspaler clipping pops up. That way they can choose to take a side road and kill a boogey man.

Main Quest: Hunt down a powerful occult witch who is spreading mayhem around the east cost while trying to build up her following( thanks Dishonored DLC). From colleges to small towns they chase and foil her plans as she gathers followers and tries to do occult( borrow more supernaturals enemies than follow CoCs system when it comes to monsters) shit. I'd probably start them off with the basic Haunted House to get them to meet up and flesh some teamwork out. Once completed they realise that the bad guy is someones pet project! And hopefully they will want to dig deeper.
I need help with about allies or safe locations. I would like this to have a set area for rping like a car/train ride, while not excluding the value of a home base. The PCs cant just be robots moving from assignment to assignment. I could use some help on the friendly team fluff without it going all chain of command for the PCs. A back up reason to keep them together in case they cant figure one out.
What are some good encounters to have as well? Any notable baddies or figures you can throw at me?

It's not a bad mashup. Not bad at all.

The two iconic time periods were right next to each other. Pirates were big in the 1700s, cowboys in the 1800s. Try to find lots of inspiration from history by researching the time period in between the two. Fashion, technology, ideologies, etc.

It's also a time in history where science is starting to answer too many questions to ignore, and people are beginning to second-guess religion. If you use magic in any respect, it could be a "death of magic" age, where technology is starting to rival its power.
In either respect, a "wild frontier" in the search for "new lands" fits both as well. Many undiscovered monsters, civilizations, and treasures abound.

Make it happen! I want to see it!

Has anyone run a campaign in the Jade Cocoon universe?

no but I want to

What system do you think would be best for it? And how would I describe it beyond "pokemon with flutes instead of pokeballs".

well for starters you don't fuse pokemon together to make abominations. Maybe 'Studio Ghibli does Mon Collecting with a side of swords and sandals.' You'll recall a lot of the other cocoon masters used other musical instruments so drums, guitars, etc are on the table.

had a 'man vs nature' or 'man versus god' subtext too.

Describe it as Swords and Sandals low magic fantasy with a side of monster taming?

Is Mutants and Masterminds a good system for new players who wanna play a capesht game? If not do you have any recommendations for other systems? I'm fairly new to systems that aren't Call of Cthulhu, Pathfinder, or 5e and would love some advice.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconstruction

>well for starters you don't fuse pokemon together to make abominations.

But aside from being based on a different mythology from pokemon, that's like the most unique thing about it!

If you already know d20, M&M is d20. Personally, I think statting powers out is sort of missing the point of cape stuff, so I prefer more narrative approaches. I have played a few sessions of Worlds in Peril, and I liked it, but the group (also full of 3.PF grogs) probably would have preferred M&M in retrospect so... go with whatever you feel is best I guess.