Take 3.5 D&D

Take 3.5 D&D.
Subtract the Player's Handbook.
Add Tome of Battle, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Magic of Incarnum, and the better ideas from Tome of Magic.
And design an entirely new game around that.
Like if Dreamscarred Press broke off from Paizo and Pathfinder and went in their own separate, competing direction.

What would it look like to you?

Wasn't most of the content outside of the core book supposed to be more balanced in general like with Weaboo Fightan Magic making martials competent? Because if it made the game playable that would be a real bonus.

I just like the idea of a game being based around characters having psionic powers and all warriors using crazy spells and abilities. To me, that sounds like a lot of fun and it would actually be an original concept in a sea of games that stick to traditional fantasy.

>Take 3.5 D&D.
>Subtract the Player's Handbook.
>Add Tome of Battle, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Magic of Incarnum, and the better ideas from Tome of Magic.

It would still suck unless you drastically change the core concept of 3.5.

Don't get me wrong, those books are the better books of 3.5, but they still are D&D 3.5. You would need to overly remove all of the things that make 3.5 sucky.

The level system fucking sucks. The concept of it just destroys the game because by level 10, you are already so far ahead of level 1 that you are basically a god. There is a reason why a classic fix for 3.5 is stopping at level 6. Every aspect of the game is tied to the level, both out of combat and in it. Add to that feats, poor monster design (CR), stacking modifiers vs. static difficulties,

You would still need to fix the skill system, fix the CR/XP/WBL system and all its assumptions, because even without the PHB, we still have the 13.33 encounter treadmill.

>It would still suck unless you drastically change the core concept of 3.5.
Hey, guess which book we just banned!

Seriously, though, you're not wrong. 3E needs a significant rework from the base up, from the way saving throws scale to the stupid goddamn decision to make monsters be built with the same system as PCs and therefore get vastly inflated hit dice (due to needing stats it wouldn't normally get from its type, like Fey having awful BAB and fort saves), hit points (due to con bonuses and aforementioned hit die inflation), masses of useless and fiddly feats (Toughness x10 is common for a reason, and it really shouldn't need to be), dumbass skill checks (why do I need to know the jump check of a goddamn elephant?), and... yeah, there's a bunch of issues on a core level of the system.

The problem is, well, that that's not going to attract the 3E crowd at all. The people who wanted a fixed system already moved to 4E, 13th Age, 5E, and some lunatics even went to Pathfinder for that reason.

Personally I'd move things right the fuck around and head back in a more TSR D&D direction, but I know that's not for everyone. (Also, I've already got the OSR for my fix.)

Fixing the treadmill should probably be as "simple" as just moving all the inherent bonuses to be based on level itself rather than magical items, a la 4E Dark Sun. (Or, well, an improved 3E Vow of Poverty.)

The problem isn't WBL in itself, I don't think (you could even make a similar table for B/X if you really wanted to, since WotC were surprisingly transparent with it [DMG p.54]), as much as the system being built with the assumption that you'll have the appropriate magic items for every level.

Decouple treasure from the math and you could give more or less treasure per encounter without fucking stuff up.

Well, how about these for a few semi-compatible kludges:

>Weapon Damage
Weapon damage scales as you level to keep up with HP inflation. This prevents combat from getting more grindy at higher levels.

>Poison
Poison is cheaper, more accessible, and harder to resist. This allows low level mooks to use it as an equalizer against higher-level opponents. Makes fluff-sense too; if you can't defeat a god in a fair fight, then you have to resort to trickery.

>Flatspelled?
We already have conditions that deny characters their Dexterity bonus to AC.
What we need is a condition that denies casters their ability bonus to save DC. Martial characters need to be able to easily impose that condition on casters.

>Replace Feats with Soulmelds
Soulmelds are like better versions of feats that you can power up by binding them to a chakra or investing them with essentia.
Suppose we convert the more popular feats into soulmelds, and let everybody take soulmelds in place of feats?

You could do that. Or you could just play another game.

Or basically play 5th edition.

Or do something else, because we lack the ability to create a better system from a fucked up one.

It's like hot-rods.

There is a particular kind of fun to be had in fixing up a rusted old clunker into something fast and stylish.

In what way?

>this thread again
mfw

>Weapon damage scales as you level to keep up with HP inflation
So exactly like 13th age? Or go the FantasyCraft route by 1) reducing the inflation and 2) providing other ways to take out enemies without burning through their meat points

>Poison
Out of all the things wrong with 3.5 you address poison? Was poison really availability ever a problem? That sounds more like a GM thing. I will agree that giving them a boost might actually give them a purpose though.

>Flatspelled?
The debuff that martials put on casters is making it so they can't cast spells at all. Concentration checks to cast or just straight up denying them the chance to cast, haven't looked at the exact rules in a while.

>Replace Feats with Soulmelds
What?
Why don't you just make Feats actually useful and logical like FantasyCraft? You don't need extra weaboo powers added on to feats to make them better. Being able to temporarily boost certain feats is a neat idea though.

>Being able to temporarily boost certain feats is a neat idea though.

So let's take Two-Weapon Fighting then. Normally you have to take this plus Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting to be really effective at fighting with two weapons.

It could be more fun then to have an Incarnum variant that reduces your two-weapon fighting penalty by -2 for every point of essentia invested in it, right?

>Incarnum variant
>essentia

Literally what the fuck are you talking about?

I think I get what you mean though. Having X power points or whatever to spend to boost certain things could work. Instead of taking a huge goddamn feat chain for little benefit just make it one and let the player set the power himself when he wants it through a point budget.

>
I think I get what you mean though. Having X power points or whatever to spend to boost certain things could work. Instead of taking a huge goddamn feat chain for little benefit just make it one and let the player set the power himself when he wants it through a point budget.

Yeah. That's how Magic of the Incarnum works.
The power points are called essentia.

I know it's outside the scope of the conversation, but 3.X would be so much more interesting if they took all the feat chains and rolled them into single feats that get stronger as you level up or hit certain thresholds for BAB, skill ranks, and so on.

I think someone on the minmaxboards even homebrewed that, but I don't have a link for you.

Why would you bother though?
You need to read a minimum 7 books, then write a lot of houserules. You could just play a different game hey

As far as "fixing" 3.5 is concerned, I just ban low-tier classes. That seems to fix the most glaring issues.

Frank Trollman did it.

>What would it look like to you?
A game that's significantly better than 5E.

>What would it look like to you?
Needs PHB2 and Complete series. Your version is way too restrictive, especially for "skillful" characters who have jack shit.

>ban low-tier classes

Why not just say Tier 3 and 4 only? All archetypes can be played with Tier 3 and 4 and the game is balanced fine enough.

PsyRogue is in the online content and it's pretty good.

Lurk is also in complete series.

CompPsi is a trainwreck, though.

I like running high-power campaigns, so allowing wizards and shit is fine. I usually crank up the difficulty for my group to match them.

Beguilers, True Necromancers, and Binders are more interesting.

Stuff I want to homebrew:

>Martial Vestiges
Spirits associated with each of the nine martial disciplines.

>Necrocarnate
A base class specializing in necrocarnum soulmelds, and specialized in touch attacks the same way Totemists are specialized in natural attacks.

>Dancer?
Agile, charismatic martial face class with discipline list overlapping with Swordsage, and additional disciplines keyed to Bluff and Sleight of Hand.

Why do I want to homebrew shit?
Because I like homebrewing shit.

You are entitled to that opinion.