MTG Magic Modern General

Ban Blood Moon Edition

How is your thanksgiving going?

Does your country celebrate anything like thanksgiving?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11717375
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-94-20-tix-modern-ub-mill
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This general is good. Good job OP

>QOTT
Is aight, and yeah i live in the states. Actually gonna head to my sisters for food and have her alter my pondes as an xmas present

1st for Tron wuz Kangz and anyone who bitches about blood moon is a scrub

>Hows your thanksgiving going.
Fuck man, that was over a month ago. You really expect me to remember that shit?

The images I had saved in my mtg folder were all standard cards or cards also fine in legacy. Griselbrand, Grave-Troll and Amalgam were among the other options for OP post. I figured Skred was appropriate because it won GPDFW.

Canada mang. Even as an ameritard I know that...

Its a fine choice befitting the current meta

Apologies to anyone this annoys, we're currently in the last leg of the poll.

Which MTG color is your favorite, and why? Note I say favorite, not best. What do you prefer to play?

strawpoll.me/11717375

Don't worry it's officially reached meme status so it's acceptable.

there is no such thing as GDW

>Ban Blood Moon Edition
No. This is bad and you should feel bad.

Rancor says otherwise

I'm not a robot

First for nothing deserves to be banned in the current meta and people need to stop crying.

Unban everything for a month and see how the meta develops?

unban SFM
make white great again

Anyone playbin mtgo? I am considering it, but convince me to spend hundreds of dollars on 1s and zeros in a program.

Is SFM a control or tempo card?
I mean, you drop batterskull on t3, and then you begin to beat and protect it with couters. that sounds more tempo than control

I don't think you can define cards per archetype

Like Goyf can be an aggro, tempo or midrange card

honestly I always think archetype theory is fucking pointless apart from "who's the aggro" per matchup

You're missing "who gives a shit?"

Oh, you're right, silly me. I guess I should've mentioned that you didn't have to vote if you didn't care. I guess it seemed obvious to me at the time.

But I do care.

Hearthstone is more popular and magic is dying. What can we do to fix this?

They're both dying.

There's not much to do, honestly. MTG is a better game but it is infinitely more complicated to play on a computer and is a very poor spectator sport unless you know a lot about the game already, and even then it's still often dull. On the other hand, a lot of the "unfixable" things about mtg are what make me like it more than I'll ever like hearthstone.

>Le mana screw faec ;^)

Fixing mana screw, and reprinting chase lands (such as duals and fetches) at uncommon/commom would go a long way towards fixing MTG for me.

Fetchlands were a mistake.

It's hard to fix mana screw without fundamentally altering how lands and mana in general works. It sounds great, but there's so, so much you can do with lands besides play one a turn and tap them once a turn each for one mana that it feels like normalizing it would remove a lot of really interesting deckbuilding options.

yet you spend hundreds on cardboard. It's all about if you want to practice more with arguably better opponents

>Smooth manabases are wrong!
I guess you play mud/stax, or are a casualfag that likes monocolor tribal decks

Thank you for notifying me that you care about having an "I do not care" option on a poll.

So tell me then, what's the downside to a 3+ colour mana base? Fetchlands are already grossly overpriced due to most decks needing them, inflating the cost of the format. The problems with fetchlands are:

1 - They're expensive
2 - They waste game time with shuffling
3 - They let 3+ colour decks have perfect mana

Decks running lots of colours should not have access to perfect mana. That's just stupid. What's the incentive to running a 1/2 colour deck if you can just throw in another colour with no downside? This is why Burn went from a 1 colour deck to a 3 colour deck. This is why Jund and Abzan get away with it. And no, don't even bother talking about Blood Moon as a way to punish greedy mana bases. Blood Moon is a design mistake, everyone knows that. What Modern needs is Wasteland. Wasteland would make 1/2 colour decks MUCH better as they'd have something proactive to do with their landbase but Wizards, like you, are a bunch of cucks who think land should be for mana and mana alone. Maybe some weak shitty ability like Geier Reach Sanitarium looting everyone.

Fetchlands and shocklands combined are legitimate design mistakes.

I've gotten literally 0 lifetime draws where fetches have mattered.

They don't let 4 and 5 color have perfect mana because they just don't. It's better than no fetches tho. People are always saying ban fetches, what if we ban shocks and bfz duals?

I do agree that Modern needs Wasteland because it would actually 'punish' 3+ color decks and nobody actually runs 4 colors unless they want to be taking damage or be slow.

blood moon is a design mistake and should be banned

But user, more colors means more fun, don't you know?
Being able to Bolt, Path, and Thoughtseize all in one deck is fun. FUN.

>Bolt, Path, and Thoughtseize all in one deck
Woah slow down there, don't give away the strength of Mardu.

Nah, Mardu is all about goin' fast.

>Ban Blood Moon

Fuck that shit. They should Blood Moon harder. They should print Blood Moon level nonbasic hosers in every color until all decks are at least 70% basics. Greedy manabases should come with costs attached.

>Greedy manabases should come with costs attached
2 life for an untapped land is the cost. Punish your opponent by killing them faster.

>2 life for an untapped land is the cost.

It's clearly not enough of a cost since those cards are in every motherfucking deck.

It's only a proper cost when people with the relevant shocks and fetches will actually look at them and go "hmm, SHOULD I put these in my deck or not?" instead of doing it on autopilot as soon as they've decided what colors they run.

This Multi Colored decks should not perform as well as one or two color decks and people can whine all they want about blood moon but you know what the answer to blood moon is? Run more basics.

What the hell isn't a greedy manabase?

>perfect mana
I wish this meme would die already, idiots like you make it sound like a 3 color deck can never get color screwed which is just false

take a break from arguing about moon and manabases to enjoy these tron tears

If the shocks were 5+ damage for untapped, people would still run them and just have them ETB tapped. It's the fetches + basic land type duals that creates your 'greedy' manabases.

Mono basics. That's it. If you run even one nonbasic land your mana base is greedy and you deserve to be crucified by blood moon

But unless you have some serious pressure, you can just hardcast wurmcoil and Ostone. That's how I out blood moon.

I want to get Korean versions of my merfolk deck. Problem is lorwyn wasn't printed on Korean.
What do?
Should I get those in jap or Chinese instead?

fuck land destruction decks

Japanese is more aesthetically pleasing imo

i agree. i want to get into properly playing modern (as opposed to playing mono U merfolk) but the land bases cost hundreads.
even then jund and abzan players just get angry when their overgrown tomb becomes an island

Pick a better language Korea dog.

I dunno. I like the look

>guy is playing jund hardened scales
>says tron takes no skill
G1
>wurmcoil him t3 and world breaker t4
G2
>never hit tron
>'goes off' with hardened scales, rakdos cackler and avatar of the resolute
G3
>have two wurmcoil on t3&4 then ulamog on t5

huh, tron isn't super skillful but it doesn't lose to jank

C O C K A T R I C E

Any thoughts on Soul Sisters?

I wanna get back into Modern and it seems like a pretty viable deck.

It's great against Infect.

> it seems like a pretty viable deck.

Depends on your meta. If your meta is made of creature based aggro go for it.

I guess it's pretty nice. Russian is for plebs

You are a funny little man.

Against some of the upper tier decks it's got some awful matchups but strangely enough it's also got some fantastic matchups against the other upper tier decks because of the absurd life total you have putting you out of kill range of some combo decks(e.g Ad Nauseam, Valakut decks)

>magic is dying

do you know something I don't, because sales are consistently up for ages

Valakut will just keep slapping you over the head with 6/6s until you cry blood. If they know what you're doing they'll just grab all 4 Valakuts before getting their 5th Mountain in play. That'd be too much damage for even Soul Sisters.

Sorry I should have clarified which version of Valakut. Classic Scapeshift(e.g BTL versions) and not Titanshift versions.

BTL can't stop you, sure. But BTL fell out of favour for a reason.

I know but some people will still run the deck. Just because it's fallen out of favour will not stop some people from running that particular version.

My LGS owner has run it for years, then upgraded to the BTL version. He just doesn't want to change decks mostly.

But he owns the store, can't he just grab the cards he needs? Shit my LGS owner even lets me borrow cards to play in a tournament.

>Shit my LGS owner even lets me borrow cards to play in a tournament.
While generous, that should not set the standard for stores. Just like having no fee to play at FNM should not be the standard.

Some stores do well, have lots of players, own their building (i.e. no rent), are passionate about Magic, don't value their time, or are just stupid or a variety of any other reasons.

Stores need to make money. Assuming the owner can just give free time and loan out cards for no cost is just not fair to them.

I think FNM should cost $15 per person no prize support. There's no fucking way the $5 for a pack in the prize pool arrangement is going to cover the labor.

How are the sales figures? What did Hasbro say in its latest financial report? Desu, I'm hoping for a steep decline, so that Maro and company will be forced to get rid of the Acquisition Plan and stop the casualization of the game.

funneh joke

It's mainly junk, creature aggro, then blue-white control. So I think it should be okay in some matchups. Only answers I'd run for infect would be path.

Yea I did some play testing against my friends burn deck and it won when I started with the martyr's in my hand and gained 15 life and just kept gaining from there. But when I didn't start out with the right hand it sucked. No one plays combo decks in my meta right now, there's just been way too much hate for them. It's really just tron, Junk, aggro and one infect player.

I used to work at one of my lgs and me and my co-workers were making random jank decks to play in tourneys all the time. 5-color Reaper King with all 10 duals. I made a spirits deck for modern and the owner let me borrow all the snapcaster mages I needed for the deck. Shit was cash.

Also to comment on $15 for FNM, most stores would lose a lot of their player base if they charged that much. my lgs charges $6. This is reasonable because we get a lot of high school kids playing that only have their pocket money from their parents. Also charging at a lower cost brings more people in and then the store would sell more product like snacks, sleeves, and random cards people needed last minute for their decks before tournaments started.

Giving away packs-per-win is nothing to the store. Stores buy boxes of booster packs of standard sets for a little under $70.

>if profits are down, WotC will stop simplifying their game to appeal more to new players

Not how it works user, sorry.
Switching to digital is what I recommend. It's more profitable than paper for WotC (passed 50% of MTG revenue recently) because there's just no good way for WotC to make people buy packs.It's an outdated business model at this point.

>half their profit comes from the absolute worst pile of computational shit
holy fuck. Could you imagine how much more dosh they'd roll in if they just made mtgo actually well?

I think that if the community doesn't step up and start becoming willing to pay more to play at FNM, many smaller places will lose a place to play. It's hard enough selling games and shit when there's an online market.

The brick and mortar retail business model is dying - having to compete with the online and big box store market. And if we don't smarten up now, there won't be places to play anymore.

My store will always be around, there's no doubt about that. But the owner and I sit down and talk about how Magic players are the shittiest part of his revenue stream. Kitchen table players are great, they come in, buy shit, leave. But the competitive/FNM crowd buy all their cards and supplies online and pay $5 for FNM and on top of all that, bitch and moan about prices non stop (compared to online) and require more chit-chat than some kitchen-table player who just wants their stuff and goes. The only reason why he continues hosting events is because Wizards forces you to in order to secure direct-purchase of their product without having to go through distributors.

He tells me Magic is actually like milk or bread at the grocery store. The grocery store loses on every purchase, but they have to sell it in order to get people through the door for other things. Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh and Force of Will are more profitable than Magic. Magic is the worst earner (still profitable) but the margins are dogshit because of the effort put in.

There is absolutely NOTHING about Magic that has gotten better in the past couple years. Nerds have gotten poorer, the game has gotten more expensive, the Internet makes everyone bitchy about comparing prices, and people are simply less willing to put up with somewhat annoying characters as much as they used to - they'd rather not show up to play.

Oh yeah, and there's a board game shortage because distributors would rather sell to Walmart, Barnes and Noble, Chapters, and Target.

I think the health of the game would be better served by catering to its established player-base and carving out a niche as the more complex and rewarding game; Hearthstone will always be the superior game for casuals, I think. Frankly, It'd be suicide for Magic to try to beat Blizzard at what they are best at.

Here's the deal, good stores understand that you don't make any money off of FNM or other competitive magic events. Like this guy at my LGS says they make like a quarter on each entry. What good stores do make money off of is getting people physically in the store. But yeah money isn't really a good money maker for stores though, not as much as you might think. That guy told me that 50% of their revenue was comic books and only about 20% was magic, so if they completely dropped magic they would still be in the green.

>Snow Mountains are $3 edition REEEEEEE

My Thanksgiving's going pretty well, planning on taking advantage of some Black Friday sales tomorrow to get my missing Razorverges/RIPs for GW Tron. Not sure if I actually like it better than RG Tron, but it'll be nice to have the option.

I have no idea why it took this long for someone to switch red with white

I see what you're saying and I agree. When I worked there a lot of my friends would come in and bitch about having to wait for their new cards to arrive in the mail. I'd always ask why they just don't buy them from us then they bitch about prices and about how we don't have the specific common from Betrayers of Kamigawa that they need in Japanese foil (fucking weeaboos man, worst customers).

Things like StarCityGames and TCGPlayer really did put a strain on us to sell more singles and packs, it honestly was pretty frustrating to see people that come in to play for free daily buy all their cards somewhere else. But I'm not sure if just hiking up the prices for FNM entry is the solution.

The slimy shit I always did to sell was convince people, that I knew had a ton of money, to pack war expensive sets so they get a gambling rush and just keep buying packs.

>Snow Mountains are $3
>My friend that's been playing Skred for months did alters to all of his Snow lands and some of them aren't even tourney legal anymore

Feels bad man.

Hey, what do you guys think of Elf Belcher in Modern? I'm nearly finished with it (I built it for lulz) is there anything I can do to improve it?

My thanksgiving was /comfy/.
Ordered muh Ravagers 2 days ago but I doubt they'll get here this week.
Why are artifacts the best, lads?

>Talking about how online card shops are killing LGS
>Come in here talking about how you bought Arcbounds from an online card shop.

REEEEEEEEEEEEE THIS IS WHY LGS IS DYING

Affinity truly is the best deck though.

Because they were the first mistake Wizards ever made, Richard basically admitted to it once.

I don't think it's okay at all that stores have to put so much work into supporting the stupid product only to have it earn less than something that sells simply by mostly sitting there. Sure, you'll talk to the people who are interested in Batman selling comic books but there is a metric fuck-ton of shit in Magic that people are always talking about and it is a lot of lip-service for shitty earnings. Not to mention Wizards more or less forces stores to put up with their horseshit so they can get the same prices for product as the distributors.

Like, think about Modern Masters. Just day in and day out you got people just talking about the price or availability of that thing. Or changing prerelease Sealed all the fucking time with their stupid community gimmicks. Wizards just has to make it so much fucking harder with everything and for a corporation that large I can't believe they don't even bother to measure the amount of effort stores have to put in to plug their product.

How much new and bullshit has happened in the past five years. Standard block changes, Magic Celebration coming and going, that new Standard league thing for those 3-card boosters, changing prerelease Sealed from a gimmick back to regular Sealed, actually promoting two-headed giant at prereleases you dumb motherfuckers, broken reporting software, shitting on your judges, posting about judge promos and holiday cards that almost nobody will get, fucking with the PTQ structure, fucking with the Bye structure, holding back the Eternal Masters second run only to announce a "reprint".

Pokemon does its own marketing and you don't have to do a single thing with Pokemon. And every time a game comes out your store floods with people. With Magic, your store floods, you give them a free deck full of worse cards than the game they play on PS or XBox or PC and you have hold their hand and they just might not start after they see how fucking expensive Standard is.

My closest LGS to me is a shitty little shop in a shady ass part of town and the woman who runs it was super rude to me. I go there for FNM now and then but otherwise they can suck a cock, I'm keeping my money.

>tfw went to lgs a few days ago to dig through the massive amount of 50cent bin cards
>tfw pulled out over 10 snow mountains even though I am putting them in a deck that doesn't need them.

>The slimy shit I always did to sell was convince people
I love my store to bits. But I hate that we must cultivate the addicts and unfairly fuck over the ignorant with shit advice so that they buy product. New players just look to experienced players for advice and we ultimately just fuck them. Or shark them out of their lucky pulls. Not a single player can look back and say they didn't buy possibly hundreds of dollars of useless shit off charismatic advice from probably nice yet moronic players. You can buy useless shit for your car or useless sporting equipment, but guess what, it still does what you expect it to do even after you find out it's not the best. In Magic, it's 100% worthless but we tell people the lie that all that bulk $1.00 uncommons or rares will add up even though they'll never be able to move it.

The biggest lies are telling people to buy those Duel Decks, Intro Packs, and repeating things like, "I fucking love opening booster packs" and having a group hug when you open a foil-walker and share that fact with the whole store. If you're being honest you can tell them that those Commander decks are really only good against other Commander decks to cushion the dream-crush when they take their precon against some guy who dropped 7 mana sources by turn 3.

I just think it's gross. I think it is gross that in this age of so much information with Internet that nearly 100% of the information about video games and Magic are ignorant shill fanboys trying to subconsciously justify their bad purchase. We bitch and moan here to no effect, but the premier Magic voices in this community don't say a single thing because they need their preview card to drive page hits when pre-release time rolls around.

Pokemon is run by people that are actually half-way competent. The only bad thing is that you have to pay for top tier info from the pros. The tcg sim is free, although buggy. It's still better than mtgo, which is a buggy mess that looks like it's from the stone ages.

The game is a great deal cheaper, minus Shaymin EX being $65-70, but you only need 3 copies of him max, and pretty much every deck wants at least 1.

>But I hate that we must cultivate the addicts and unfairly fuck over the ignorant with shit advice so that they buy product.

That's basic economics. Let your feelings at the door and buckle up, buckaroo

Not sure where else to ask this
I'm wanting to make a mill deck from a past standard format (since my playgroup will accept that but not modern) but I don't have much knowledge of whats available prior to RtR apart from a handful of powerful ones from different blocks. Where do I start?

Mill doesn't work. It just isn't within the realm of playable. You'd be spending money to lose.

Just... don't ask why. It just doesn't. There's too much to say.

It doesn't have to be competitive to be playable. I've made a mill deck in the past; by no means the best deck out there but it's far from unplayable.

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-94-20-tix-modern-ub-mill
This has a good stock list for mill.
If you're just playing casual it will do fine.
Don't expect much if you decide to go to FNM though.

>I'm wanting to make a mill deck from a past standard format (since my playgroup will accept that but not modern)

That sounds terrible. Proxy up CAWBLADE and show them why they should just stick to cube instead. The only decks that are able to win via mill do so by milling you out completely, and they're all far too expensive for you.

Mill tends to suck because you have to burn through 53 cards instead of 20 life. It doesn't answer the board like most decks, nor is it working to a combo kill (unless you're using Helm Rip or Painter's Servant). Most decks want you mill through their shit, because they're working with 4x of each nonbasic and milling 1 or even 2 won't hurt them that bad. And some decks, like Dredge, fucking love it when you mill their shit since you're doing their job for them.

in competitive Pokemon TCG every single deck plays 1-3 copies of the same creature?
how broken is this card, in magic terms?

Your lgs should have bought more ravagers to sell that this faggot Bad investing isnt wotc's problem.

>how broken is this card, in magic terms?
i don't play the pokemon tcg, but looking at the card he draws you up to 6 cards, seems pretty broken

Shaymin's played because when you play it, you draw up to 6, which is very strong, especially since you can play multiple per turn and it doesn't count as your one Supporter per turn. HOWEVER, it's not without weaknesses. Basically, anything that can negate pokemon abilities shuts him down pretty hard. Shaymin's one attack requires a DCE or a serious tempo loss. 110 HP on an EX isn't a whole hell of a lot, especially when Raikou is a deck, along with Jolteon. And there's a card called Parallel City, which shutdowns bench heavy decks.

It is very much worth the $65 it's at, although it should be (and probably will be) reprinted.

The MTG scene in my city is really small and close-knit. People are always lending cards to each other all the time. I've borrowed cards from my store owner and played a GP in an other state/country then came back. Usually they'd be cards i wasn't 100% sure on but was testing on the way(I tested Athreos God of Passage in Junk Elves as an example)

Tron, Junk, and Infect are generally not the best matchups for soul sisters considering two of these decks don't care how much life you're on. You're basically an aggro deck that just wants to snowball and tempo wins. Ideally look into Norin sisters, it seems to be a more resilient shell.

Maybe I'll just go back to affinity. I used to have almost all of affinity. Just couldn't afford the Mox Opal's and the Arcbound's. Eventually stripped it of the lands to buy into standard (huge mistake).

But buying back into affinity would win more games than soul sisters would. Only problem is that everyone in my meta runs so much side-board hate for affinity.