What's the best class and why is it the sorcerer?

What's the best class and why is it the sorcerer?

Pic somewhat related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c9N9Zpp62Y4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why do I keep hearing stories of sorcerers/esses dying way more often than wizards?

The best class is not having one because class systems are shit.

Because wizards have the common decency of dying in private places, like their towers or while exploring dungeons
Sorcerers, on the other hand, then to be show off and die in public places. generally after uttering some variation of "Hey, watch this."

When you say "Evil Wizard" you think "Angry, Bitter, Old, Nerd who lives in a big Castle that practically screams 'Evil Villian' and uses his magic powers gained through long hours of Nerdom to take revenge on the world for being happier than him and just generally being an asshole" (i.e. Sauron, every evil wizard in Harry Potter)

But when you say "Evil Sorcerer" you think "Powerful being naturally gifted with magic who uses it intelligently, effectively, and with more tact then a sledgehammer, to gain more power and control over magic and the world around him who still gives off an aura of being threatening" (i.e. Lo Pan, Shang Tsung, Quan-Chi)

Then what do you reccomend, oh great arbiter of PnP quality?

you spelled warlock wrong pal

>implying those idiots who fake their way into demonic powers by making deals like idiots are superior to the pure magical bloodline.

Oh yeah, warlocks are great~ totally better than sorcerers who work hard to nut out their powers instead of just going and begging "mummy and daddy" for more power.

>not based wizards who never started out entitled to their power, but instead earned it through hard study and expirmentation

Faggots, the lot of you

"I love picking and choosing from a bunch of different options instead of just playing the game"
- Joseph Stalin

>based wizards
>Learning the magic of the world instead of CONQUERING THE MAGIC INSIDE THEM.

Wah wah, you can manipulate the weave of the world. Sorcerers Make the draconic/demonic blood that boils inside them their bitch and use it to further they're goals.

>based wizards
You make me laugh.

>hurr hurr lookit me I'm speshil. I can't into nona that book lernin but look I can toss a fireball. I never had to do any work for it I have it kuz my grandmammy fugged a dragon

>2016
>Classes

Please can we turn this into an angry argument about why classes are/not a great thing to have in a sysyem.

I would love that.

I'll start - it makes it really easy to add bullshit class-locked gimmicks without allowing everyone to use them.

Pretty sure Arcanists and Wizards are objectively better.

Everyone's playing 5th ed, my man.
Class war forever.

youtube.com/watch?v=c9N9Zpp62Y4
Because framerate is overrated

Best class.

You can get the same thing by making those bullshit gimmicks as skills that require other skills in order to be taken.

Personally, I prefer an hybrid approach. Mostly free, in form of skills or something similar, but in a way that encourages sticking to something.

For example, I´m doing a fantasy homebrew in which you have three aspects (warrior, thief, mage). Each of them is tied to a bunch of skills (warrior has mostly combat skills, thief utility and charisma, mage has magic and knowledge). With experience points you can level up aspects and skills, but skills can´t be higher than its aspect. Which means that you can be a generalist that can do a little of everything (in fact this is encouraged, but mostly because it´s a system for a one player party). But you can also focus on something and, despite diminishing returns, become a powerhouse.

I know it's not strictly PnP, but Divinity: TOS's character building was pretty good and could be translated well into tabeltop. Everything is tied to a skill which you put points into and effectiveness scales by level rather than points put into that skill, and further points put into it only unlock availability of different spells, which have different uses and aren't just straight upgrades of old spells. You put one point into Pyrokenetic and learn a straight damage-dealing move that can be used often and will last you the rest of the game and ignore the rest of that tree without invalidating said spell. The same is true for weapons and armor. Of course, it would have to be heavily tweaked because TOS had a few balance issues.

I'm on board with those sorts of 'loose' class systems. Where there's a framework you can follow for something standard, but you can mix it up by pulling from other 'classes' to make something more different or unique.

"I can't make a meaningful decision and stick to it."
- Donald Trump

>playing games with classes and levels
>2016

This. It's not like doing the opposite is even hipster bullshit. More popular games than not ranging from Shadowrun, GURPS, to WoD, do away with hard classes, though there are archetypes that pop up. Having classes and levels is very much one of D&D's hold overs from the 70's that other games avoid for a good reason.

but user racial classes haven't been a thing for two decades

You think all those books make you "good"? They just mean you miss what really matters. Experience. While you wizards toil away in your rooms letting your body deteriorate. Sorcerers are out their experiencing the world at large. Maybe when a peasant attacks you out of fear you can use those books as a shield to protect your fragile body, IF you see it coming.

Would be nice if 5e Sorcerers got a single good Archetype.

And that's why casters in level-less games are even more broken than in leveled games.

When you can do an 8 hour long ritual and have a couple of 20-die elementals at your beck and call instantly available whenever, bullets and cyberwear really don't count for much anymore.

WotC hates sorcerers. They're only allowed to be useful in multiclassing builds.

"I am president elect. Kept you waiting huh?"
- Donald Trump

oh look the sorcerer is insecure about getting his power handed to him on a silver platter