/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

>Latest News
Cleric Divine Domains: dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/cleric-divine-domains
Don't forget to give your opinion in the Bard survey!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous thread
>Topic
Did you run/play in a wild west setting? Was it any good? Could it be anything but silly?
Westworld is giving me ideas, thoughts and inspiration I never thought I'd have.

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1wy7o1zg
youtu.be/EkXMxiAGUWg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tfw no group

I just wanna play my archfey firbolg warlock

second for kobold dragon-hunting party

Have not played a wild west setting. I feel like it would be nothing more than a magitech setting with cowboy hats tossed on top. Not that I'd have a problem with that. I actually really would like to play a magitech setting at some point, but I don't feel like putting in the work to flesh out a whole bunch of monsters and technology and stats and bullshit for it.

Anyone have any homebrew rules for a wild west and/or magitech setting that aren't complete shit?

You'll find a group one day.

We all will.

Didn't realize we were at the end of last thread, so
Again, what's your point? If all their fluff and racial features aren't enough to differentiate them, what's the difference between the "not-midget" races? Humans, elves, tieflings, half-orcs... they're all just tall people, with superficial differences.

>homebrew gladiator background
There already is one. Entertainer variant.

Guys, how do we fix Cleric of Trickery?
Domain spells are pretty good but everything else is shit.
> no proficiencies
> active features are shit
> poison damage on divine strike
> can't really /be/ a "trickster" himself

Admittedly Cloak of Shadows is pretty good since it's Invisibility without Concentration, which is a pretty good deal.
Still a Channel Divinity feature though.

>don't bother to fully read a two-line post
ain't that something

I'm gmt+3 can't even find decent groups online.

For starters, I would, as a matter of principle, allow him to use Wisdom for deception rolls.

-8 over here :(

Welp, shit, seems like my reading comprehension was nowhere to be found. Why do you not like that variant for its purpose?

>Guys, how do we fix Cleric of Trickery?

By playing one of the new Bard Colleges instead

Keep trying on roll20, lonely anons. It takes a while but you might happen upon a good group. It's easier if you're willing to DM. I had a lot of luck since the first group I joined was great and has stick together ever since, even though we're already on our 3rd DM.

Oh... That's good. Any idea for an active feature @1st level, to go along with proficiency in Deception and ability to use Wisdom for them?

Something nice but not too powerful would be nice.

this tbqhaf

I'm not the gladiator guy

Any recommendations of 5e related youtube stuff. Campaigns or tips. I'd just like to see other peoples experiences with the system.

Move to Lazytown

I'm dming a campaign for 3 of my friends, first time for all of us, they're rarely free, we spend weeks not playing, plus I want to play, not dm.

doesn't feel encompassing enough, if anything it feels like it should be a mix of entertainer and maybe folk hero if you're a famous gladiator in your area. And the skills should be athletics OR acrobatics, then entertainer.

what the fuck is Latias doing attacking a train?

It's hungry.

Well, they already have Blessing of the Trickster. Giving them proficiency in Deception and the ability to use it with Wisdom should be enough, I think, since all other domains get Bonus Proficiency/Cantrip plus one other thing, except for Knowledge which gets two kills with expertise.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Yeah but that's not till later down the line, and even then gladiators tend to stick to specific styles (even though mine's going to favor a trident with a gladius as a sidearm).

I think I'm still too new to the genre to start homebrewing left and right. I substituted "acrobatics" with "athletics" on the Entertainer/Gladiator proficiencies but that's been about it.

On a related note, how should gladiatorial armor be treated, if I'm trying to make em as proper-Roman-flavored as possible?

give him the entertainer background

I see. Well, backgrounds can be customizable anyway, and I think they opted to not make "x or y" skills just to make it simpler for first timers. Anyway, have at it.

I feel you, user. Go on roll20, search for campaigns, keep searching and applying. Prioritize the listings with fewer applications, if you're one of the first you have better chances to be chosen.

Yeah, Athletics instead of Acrobatics, while retaining Performance.

How do I treat my players to a southern Odyssey in the vein of O Brother Where Art Thou, in 5e?

Matthew Colville does videos about DMing usually in the loose context of 5e.

errr i meant performance, not entertainer

Read the Odysessy

Yeah, no worries, I had that figured.

If I was to pick a feat to improve his gladiatorness (equipment: undetermined armor, shield, trident, shortsword), what could it be?

What D&D things are you most thankful for, /5eg/?

Dwarves

4e.

Mystara/KnownWorld/HollowWorld and Dark Sun.

Whips

SKT, whats the point of transferring runes to items when you lose most of properties for just carrying the rune

I'm thankful that the players have read the rules and understand them mostly. I don't get it, with other games I had to be the living rules encyclopaedia, what did 5e do?

The crew I DM for has been together since mid-June and while it got off to a bumpy start in terms of keeping players early on, we've all become "friends" (or as close as one can get through online play) and they all seem to enjoy the way I DM.

The item effects are slightly different from what the active effects of the rune are. You lose several abilities, but gain some other, different effects which are more passive and generally do not require action/bonus usage.

Almost always worse

Ravenloft

ok here is a few
1) Shield master is really good
2) if you're allowed to use UA, see if you can refluff Spear Master Feat to cover trident as well, as they have the exact same damage, distance, and properties.
3) Athlete is very appropriate, being you probably had to be very quick on your feat in the arena.
4) if you got the dex for it, medium armor master is essentially another +1 ac
5) Mobile for speed
6) Sentinel for some minor battlefield control
7) Martial Adept for even more battlemaster shit, or some if you aren't going that route.

Don't forget to use nets.

Let's say I captured two cloud giant castles.

Would Sky Commodore be appropriate?

Let's say you did, would you need skilled hirelings to run such a castle? Would they know how to use the castles defenses?

I was thinking Shield Master but I kinda wish you could use the shield to deal proper damage, unless shoving an enemy can also grant me an attack of opportunity...

That's for Retiarius, I'm building a Murmillo or a Secutor. Just with the trident for throwable opportunities.

What would be a good name for this property on a magic weapon?

"When you make an attack with this weapon, you can choose to use Wisdom instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls. You can do this a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses daily at dawn."

Get yourself a disguise kit you dumb nigger.
> Disguise kit into anything
> Channel divinity also becomes whatever that is
> send your doppledumbass to go wreck havoc while you sit in a corner reading a newspaper.
> Inflict wounds is a powerful spell that you have advantage on with your clone flanking a target in combat

(weapon name) of will

Nope, two navigators for the control spheres and I'll hire ogres for the ballista

I'll have half a dozen airships on each castle filled with sky pirates

I want to give a feat @LV1 to any race. I feel like it'd promote a bit of diversity within my groups.
To this end, I've had to "fix" humans so that the race still gets picked.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1wy7o1zg

Thoughts?
Bear in mind the resemblance with Half-Elf's traits.

Diversity is codeword for human genocide

Holy shit, you can attack cities with that force.

But wouldn't the navigation equipment be large for medium creatures?

Navigation orbs are magical, someone just needs to attune and touch it to direct the castle

I'm hoping to buy griffons too

Let's see...
>Half-elf
+2/+1/+1
Darkvision
Fey Ancestry
2 skills
3 languages
>Human
+2/+1/+1
Adaptability
2 skills
2 languages

Though Human gets to choose where to put their +1, I still think they fall behind a little bit. Darkvision makes a lot of difference in many campaigns, and Fey Ancestry is pretty good, whereas Adaptability can only help you every once in a while. Make it a short rest thing, for starters, and find some other thing to give humans. I suggest +2/+1/+1/+1, since giving another point to your quaternary stat is really not going to break anything, just help a little.

Adaptability is useless if you don't have any negative ability modifiers. I would change to gaining advantage on an ability check once per short rest.

Adaptability is trash.

But they also choose where they get +2. It is intended that for Charisma-based characters, Half-Elfs will still be better.

Adaptability also is the only racial feature that scales. Are you sure making it a short rest would be OK ?

I don't know this feel user.

I am the reason all my friends play D&D. I bought books, learned all the rules, taught myself to DM, and have never gotten to play a PC myself.

Out of the 13 people I have taught to play 5e and DMed for, literally not one of them has a concrete understanding of the rules. I have to hold their hand through every single level up, showing them how to read their new features, helping them update spells and spell slots, reminding them what die to use to roll for health. I have to baby them through every single session, remind them constantly what they can do each turn in combat, remind them what their spells actually do, I even literally have to remind them over and over and over that they roll a d20 for ability and attack rolls.

It's literally breaking my spirit to DM honestly. I put so much in each week to prep for sessions, to create a great experience for all of us, and I can't even get them to read a few chapters of the fucking PHB. Like they don't even need to read all of it. Probably not even half of it. Just the stuff for how to actually play, and then the sections of their own race and class.

My group had one of our players first time DM a pre-made adventure with his own twists. Problem is he never gave any freedom or rewarded creativity. Always having monsters beat the check or having a creative choice backfire. For instance the party decided to hack a hole in a door to light up the other side, our DM just kept saying there was darkness or to far to see the inside, but when we entered this was not true and the lamp illuminated the walls 30ft away. We showed him the rules on how a lamp works and he did not have any darkness conditions or spells present, it was just his choice as DM. What is a good way to introduce a DM to the importance of free choice and rewarding creativity?

Ive dmed for two groups and theyve been the exact same experience as yours user. Im gonna go insane if I hear someone ask me what proficiency does again.

I meant "Human gets to choose where to put their +2", not +1, sorry. But half-elfs are still generally great. If you don't want to give humans another +1 (which seriously wouldn't be all that powerful), at the very least change Adaptability into a short rest feature. As other anons said, it isn't even that great. I would change it into:

"When you make an unproficient ability check, you may decide to apply your proficiency bonus to it." And then all the other stuff about seeing the roll and having to finish a short rest before using it again.

I've been in this exact same situation. The problem is you're making people who don't want to play d&d play d&d. The best thing I ever did was ditch my group and start up a new campaign online. There's SO MANY people trying to find games its easy to recruit the best ones who are exactly what you want

Alright thanks for the feedback, imma think a bit more about Adaptability.

I don't like the +1 in three different abilities. It feels a bit lazy and it doesn't mesh well with 27 points-buy.

Advantage on 1 check once per short rest seems a bit lazy, but is definitely tempting. It doesn't stack with Help, but oh well.

Thanks again.

youtu.be/EkXMxiAGUWg is decent start.

It might not hurt to ask him to try a premade adventure with no twists too. By creating his own twists he puts work into certain outcomes, and probably becomes more invested in them and thus more likely to push you guys towards them, intentionally or otherwise.

You can also just talk to him. Tell him what you liked about his DMing, try to be encouraging, but straight up ask him to be more open to player creativity.

But it's never like I'm forcing anyone to play. It's always people who specifically ask me to play. They are always like super bummed when sessions get canceled, or when the campaign has ended. For the campaign I'm currently running, two of the people literally came out of nowhere and practically begged to be allowed to join.

Is it just that I take my hobby too seriously? Is it unreasonable for me to expect normies to devote a couple hours of their own personal time to reading the PHB?

I have a similar issue, but only with a couple of the players on the basics of the game. The rest of them are usually correct, even if they can't fucking remember to write down what die their cantrip's damage is, or how long a short rest is.

...admittedly, I stopped trying to include concentration rules, or partial cover. And they still don't know there's a help, hide, or dodge action.

We've been playing weekly since 5e was first released.

was in replay to

You need to remember that not everyone is as into it as you are. Either find people that are, or take it less seriously. Or you can run your fun casual normie game irl and run a Super serious real game online with professional players

Yeah I never both with partial cover, even if it's like a PC trying to shoot an arrow past 10 enemies standing in a row to hit the furthest one away. It's just not worth working it all out. I try to remember concentration as best I can (players don't even realize it's a thing) but that's something even I forget to keep track of sometimes.

I really do try to not take it super serious. I play pretty laxed on the rules, like I said I leave a lot of stuff out, try not to force tons of super hard fights on the party, don't use very punishing things (like getting attacked during a rest), but it's still so hard when they don't even know the simplest and most basic rules.

I'm just ranting at this point obviously. I know it's really all just on me to either force them to take it more seriously and learn, or not DM for them. Just feels good to vent to people who get me.

If you guys play IRL, do you use DM screens? Have you tried pinning a list of actions/common rules in big "look at me you fucks" font to the front of the screen?

That's a good idea, but if my players can't see what die to roll when it's printed on their character sheet, I dunno if they would remember to look at that, either.

have you asked them to learn the rules/read the books?

>tfw when you actually bothered to learn the game but can't find a grup

I don't get how someone could fuck around and have people waiting on their ass consistently because they didn't bother to learn the basics.

a bit of a fun story

>playing Lost Mine of Phandelver to get new players into 5e
>running around doing all of the side quests, getting the hang of game mechanics and starting to see some funny RP, everyone is having fun
>party is lvl 3 and finishing last side quest in the abandoned villiage (thundertree i think)
>DM mentions dragon in tower, party is mostly martials, a bard, and a sorc
>lets kill it
>go inside the tower and realize how fucked they are. DM says the dragon offers to let them go if they give him the few magic items they have and all of their gold
>bard (18ch) starts talking to dragon and trying to negotiate
>asks dragon if he knows about cragmaw castle, dragon does
>bard says if the dragon helps them take cragmaw castle, the party will help him take it for himself, along with promising dragon any valuables inside castle
>entire party starts cracking up
>DM isnt sold, so bard keeps in character and keeps describing how much nicer cragmaw castle is than the tower he currenly resides in
>DM lets bard do a persuasion check with disadvantage
>Roll 20
>Roll 20 again
>entire group loses its mind laughing, DM gives inspiration to bard

we ended the session soon after, but we are going to pick up tomorrow and hit cragmaw castle, with the dragon

Same here. It just seems like common fucking sense/courtesy to at least make some effort to understand something you're devoting time to.

>read rules to prep trying AL at LGS for first game ever
>experienced(sic) DM misunderstands basic rules, makes our rogue useless

Since UA has experimented with prestige classes, how would people feel if they officially return? I'm sort of torn on it. Archetypes and prestige classes seem like they might make for rather complex characters and more multiclassing shenanigans. But they're something that led to fun and distinct characters back in 3.5.

Sidenote: re-reading the Maure castle adventure reminds me of just how fucking much I prefer 5E to 3.5

>Since UA has experimented with prestige classes, how would people feel if they officially return?
The reaction to the UA was negative and thus prestige classes aren't going to come back anytime soon.

Ah well I haven't been following UA that much so good to know. Rune scribe was a cool idea though.

I like the idea of Prestige classes, but I think i just like the idea of further specialization at higher levels.

advice on running/making a Pirate campaign?

What class do I play if I eventually want to become a god, but I want to have fun along the way?

Wizard

Wizard

SKY PIRATES!

Which school?

Transmutation, Divination, or Abjuration.

At the basic level, I like the idea of prestige classes, though the implementation always felt off to me. The idea of being able to alter your class and gain bonuses for roleplaying things like joining a specific order of knights or unlocking an arcane secret is nice, but the past implementations always felt like it was just treated as another class with a few skill prerequisites.

I'd much prefer seeing Prestige Feats or Prestige Boons, treating them as either as a Feat intended for higher levels with stricter requirements, or similar to Boons in the DMG, having them just be bonuses that can be given out as a player progresses through an organization or research.

The key thing is that these should be in the hands of the DM, rather than another player option.

Transmutation is probably closest for what you're looking for if you want to feel like a god, abjuration if you want to never die. Transmutation can give you elemental resistance, resurrect people, and infinite shape changing for utility.

Feats are dear enough, boons would probably be the better way to go about it.

Hey, guys, could I get a concise list of any super cheesy and super overpowered min/max style builds you're aware of for 5th Edition?

I'm gonna be going into a game with some people who are new to tabletop and I don't want to be that guy by accidentally picking something that's going to make them all feel useless. So I just want to know what I should avoid if I want to make a balanced or even a slightly under-powered character.

Whether you're being honest about your intentions or not, there's always a Halfling Divination wizard with the Lucky feat.

What are you, a ruskie or an arab?

5e is set up in such a way that the only way that someone will feel useless is if they purposely aim for it by not maxing their primary stat or multiclassing too much or too early.

And even builds that are "overpowered" are still within the intended power margins of the system (except at ludicrously high levels, but no one plays those anyway).

That said:
- Paladin 2/Sorcerer X (twinned/quickened booming blade with smites)
- Warlock 2/Sorcerer X (quickened eldritch blast with agonizing blast, possibly combined with devil's sight and the Darkness spell)
- Valor Bard X, maybe with Fighter 1, with Sharpshooter (steal swift quiver at Bard 10, spend a 5th-level slot to do 4 arrow shots per turn)

Variant human shenanigans:
- Barbarian X with GWM (reckless attack gives them hilarious damage output early on)
- Fighter X Battle Master with Sharpshooter (archery fighting style and precision attack gives them huge damage output at range early on)
- Fighter X Battle Master with GWM (precision attack again gives them huge damage output early on)

There's not a lot of them, 5E is pretty balanced. That said:

-Yuan-Ti anything

-Paladin X/Warlock 2

-Combining Sentinel, GWM, and Polearm master on one character (typically a battlemaster fighter)

-Kobold sharpshooter rogue

-Polearm/GWM paladin riding on a shapeshifted Druid.

-Fiend warlock 6+, lucky hobgoblin/Yuan-Ti

that things like your picture aren't real