Ayy lmao

aliens in fantasy settings. where is this done? how poorly/well? what is your opinion on this trope? where have you done it? pics?

>me
>high fantasy setting, big world
>a lot of races, really... a lot
>2 alien races, gods and divine beings not included

>giant elephant ogre people
initially named them Oltarog, ditched the name, currently not working on this setting

some random facts lol

1. ported from one world to this by an eldritch being. their technology isnt anything new, they are not superior.
2. most of them are born in large mounds of mysterious flesh...
3. they have females. their society is matriarchal. the strongest breed with the females, producing strongest warriors of their race, born with 4 arms.
4. they eat their dead, leaving only tusks in memory. it is a crime to eat the females though.
5. hell it's a crime for a mere
5. they have set up an empire on their continent. the elite live in the city there. everyone else lives divided by clans across countless islands on a large archipelago to the west. further to the west is the "main" continent of the conworld.
6. they have a large number of slaves of different races (including humans, dwarves). they have bred them for generations to use as cattle and workers.
7. the people that are located closest to them (not close at all) are the not! Asian fishermen communities of my setting. they get frequently raided by these "elephant sea demons"

my problems with this race:
1. i want to have elephants (animals) in my setting that were on the world since the beginning. so how do i justify alien elephant people with trunks and tusks?
2. how the fuck can they travel across sea to raid the fishermen? they are giant, what kind of huge vessels could they use...

>a high tech race of something that i haven't built beyond Well there's a legendary isle in the middle of a sea, there's a metallic fortress with cannons that obliterate anything that gets too close, so all the races of this world stay away

Other urls found in this thread:

pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Divinity
1d4chan.org/wiki/The_Tragedy_of_Thing-tan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

before anyone mentions the obvious draenei from warcraft... just dont

Orcs from World of Warcraft

I threw my D&D group at pic related as a short side mission because I couldn't come up with anything after wrapping a long running arc. The shit bricks and ran out of the forrest so fast when they figured out what was going on, I was laughing for days.

Isn't hunting medieval stuff easy modo for a Predator? There's no honor in there.

Depends. The way I ran it the thing was wiping out guard posts hoping to attract the attention of worthy prey. The bricks were shat after the predator had spent two days toying with the group then decloaked, after approaching undetected because no magic to detect and challenged the fighter to a duel by deploying it's arm blades and screaming at him. The wizard panicked and fireballed it, which meant the gloves came off, and plasma casters happened.

Per the fan film, it was stalking men at arms and knights, so it's iffy. Less honor than hunting Arnold, that's for sure.

Humans from world of warcraft.

Everything in wow is an alien besides the trolls.
How about mindflayers?

Noon 22nd century does this really good, especially in "Hard to be a God"; yes, ayyy lmaos are "humans from the future", but that just makes the plot all that much more interesting.

Really? Where'd the humans come from?

Titan constructs.

Paizo's Golarion setting for Pathfinder features plenty of aliens in the setting.

Numeria and especially the crashed spaceship which supplies its crazy tech.
pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Divinity

It brought along with it various alien beings from another solar system to Golarion.

Elves are from Castrovel, Golarions notVenus. They travel between the worlds via special portals built tens of thousands of years ago.

The Dominion of the Black is a group of space faring people and monsters who possibly serve the Dark Tapestry, which are basically the Cthulhu mythos. All kinds of horrifying aberrations serve within this group.

Travel to other planets is tough but possible via magic portals or powerful spells. Each of the 11 planets within the solar system is filled with monsters and races of people.

If we're counting interdimensional, then Gnomes which come from the fey First World, along with all kinds of monsters and races.

You could do it like the cthulu mythos does it where the setting's god are just higher beings from space or beyond time or something.

no opinions

I ended up using Thing-Tan as a BBEG once.

1d4chan.org/wiki/The_Tragedy_of_Thing-tan

Mutant breed of the vrykul who were originally iron constructs that were cursed with being made from flesh

I like my aliens from Drakulon

How big are picrelated?

you're a dick GM and you're a magnificent bastard for it

It's not exactly a new idea but the fair folk work very well as aliens:
>inhuman creatures
>alien sense of morality
>strange powers and abilities
>abduct humans
>torment/play with/experiment on/ their victims
>missing time, "5 minutes inside, a century outside"
>sometimes returned with strange abilities, sometimes not at all
>don't make deals with them you fucking idiot

I plan on doing just that thing for my incoming campaign, which is set on a fairly wild and uncivilized world.
The aliens are going to be mind flayers aboard a spelljammer-like ship, motivated by Science! in determining the most delicious type of brain on the planet. I plan on having them abduct the players, and describing the ship as a giant beast of some sort, because for all they should know it's what it looks like.

are they relevant to the main story line?
because

They are the first main story line, but I don't quite follow you.

best example are the Inchoroi in the Prince of Nothing/Aspect Emperor books