Was he right...

Was he right? In a fantasy world is supreme executive power bestowed by the masses really more valid than one bestowed by a supernatural being who is tied to the lands?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xBeoreJr4Yc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The primary limiting factor of the masses organizing to bestow executive power is the difficulty in pre-modern long distance and mass communication. If you solve those things then it becomes way easier for the masses to exercise their righteous authority

Those same supernatural beings can be incorporated into the masses as individuals with the same rights as anyone else, so its not like they should be complaining. They gain participation in a democratic system which can produce new benefits for them as the government becomes more responsive to the will of the people, and they get to keep their supernatural shenanigans to boot.

Supernatural/divine/bloodline (which is always inherently based on some supernatural concept or one pretending to be a philosophical concept relating to the bloodline in question) creates violence that is inherent in the system

A supernatural being tied to the land is probably more legitimate than the masses if that being's well-being is contingent on the land's health. Unless that that being is actively evil and malicious to the inhabitants, in which case fuck no burn it with fire.

what was her endgame anyway?

Not if it's a literal Land-Bound spirit who's very existence can affect the crops and safety of the land, and also had a vested interest in ruling the citizens.
It depends on the setting though

Wants the Christians/Romans to kill/depower all the other fae in England

Representative democracy worked in the era of broadsheets and horse carts, so it's not inherently a creature of mechanization and mass media.

And the more powerful the supernatural being, the more true this is. If I were a fantasy hero I'd rather have the backing of one high tier god than a thousand lvl 1 commoners.

I assume those masses can't breath fire or smite unbelievers?

Then no.

>Representative democracy worked in the era of broadsheets and horse carts,
>"worked"

Was that before or after the English Civil War? :^) Oh wait maybe it was when the various radical factions and their respective publishers kept trying to get each other censored and killed. Or perhaps you mean the French Revolution when everything devolved into a total clusterfuck dystopia for a decade.

What do you mean, "was he right"? What makes you think there is an objective truth to be fund, here?

what about supreme executive power bestowed by a supernatural being who is tied to the lands through the consciousness and consensus of the masses?

Most of the portrayals of Arthur have him occupying this wierd spot between christian and pagan. Like he himself is christian, but all sorts of pagan shit goes down in his kingdom. This makes sense, old School Christianity was not as cut and dry as the Catholics would like to have you believe.

It's more arguable she didn't want Morgause to sieze power since she had a more legitimate claim

Then you have JC Denton

youtube.com/watch?v=xBeoreJr4Yc

wtf thats not the img I posted

At least the video link is right

actually I was referring to catholicism and orthodoxy.
Sunni islam works better though I guess, since in cathlicism and orthodox christianity it's not about electing the ruler but understanding reality

That game was such an insult.

Read the Riddlemaster of Hed by Patricia A. McKillup.

Only if you want other supernatural menaces to take over the world.

Aristocrats are evil and selfish anyway. It's easier to earn the love and fear of the masses. Also, they pay taxes, unlike these noble bastards, and breed quickly.

A ruler leads people, not dirt

Ughhhhh, dragging based de Tocquevile into stupid monologues like that.

You tell it! Invested with power by the masses or through the enduring truth of brute survival and a dagger in the back of the previous guy, it is the duty of rulers to consider the lives under their command and the legacy those human hands and names will leave. The land and its spirits are only a means to the ends men put them to.