How has petrification (or being turned into ice, metal, wax, etc. and rendered immobile) come up in your games before?

How has petrification (or being turned into ice, metal, wax, etc. and rendered immobile) come up in your games before?

Just avoid it by becoming Undead type.
Nobody precasts Magnus Exorcismus these days anyway.

"Wizard's dead. Gonna be a month or so before we can get him to the High Temple and get him raised."

OK, Flesh to Stone on the corpse. We'll lie him down on the cart until we can get back to the castle. Keep him in the front room or something. Yes, we are going to raise him...eventually."

["Alan, play one of your henchmen for a few sessions. I'd prefer the bodyguard, rather than your "apprentice". At least until you learn how not to get yourself killed as a caster."]

i see what u did ther

Yep. It was pretty hilarious actually (for those of us who were not hit).
We were fighting through a dungeon and the DM decided to randomize the room order. We got the boss room on the third roll. The boss was a greater abyssal basilisk. We see it first and immediately close our eyes so it can't use its gaze attack. Once it's looking at us, our cleric blasts its face with the searing light spell to blind it. We open our eyes and beat the snot out of it in a few turns even though there are only three of us.

We gather our loot, the DM is salty because he thought it would be harder, and we continued on. There were a lot of issues with this campaign, because the DM wasn't very good at running D&D. His grasp of the rules was poor so we got away with a lot of crap, but also got blindsided by a lot of crap. We ran into a normal basilisk and our frontline fighter rolled a 3 on his save and was petrified instantly. This is why it was BS, our frontline dude was a vampire, and undead are immune to fort saves. What the DM says is law though.

We convinced the DM that we could use stoneshape to reduce his size and shape into a pebble and then undo it later when we found someone who could change him back. We traveled to a giant wizard college and get his curse broken and had a ton of other crap happen (can't go into that now). After this, our cleric remembered that he could have just waited a day, prayed for break curse, and done it himself but we had already had tons of bad things happen and it was too late.

Probably the worst campaign I've ever ben on.

I've had gorgons come up before but they weren't really the pic related type. Party typically knew about them in advance, though, and was able to prepare enough to avoid everything going to shit forever.

>mentioning petrification
>generalizing the subject into immobilization effects
>yet still being quite specific about immobilization
You're not doing a very good job of veiling this fetish thread, OP. Not that I mind a fetish thread or two in the catalog, but still, maybe work on your subtlety at least a little?

At the very least don't use an obvious fetish .gif or cute gorgon in the OP. Granted, I'm not helping.

Party fought a basilisk and nobody got petrified. They didn't want it's blood going to waste and used it to cure it's previous victims. One of those victims was randomly determined to be a mid level paladin.

This was a moderately evil party, slowly slipping down a darker path.

Neither party wanted to risk fighting the other and they parted ways. The players all but forgot about the encounter until, many months later, they encountered the Paladin hit squad.

My fighter had all the flesh torn from his bones by a magically summoned horde of Crows.
He fell to the ground in a rattling pile.
Before he asked if someone could help him up.

Never come up really, did have a rather affectionate drider who enjoyed tightly binding people up and using them as furniture though

> How has petrification (or being turned into ice, metal, wax, etc. and rendered immobile) come up in your games before?
Imagine the usual rules of petrification - you fail the save, you get petrified, right?
Except after you get petrified, you can roll once a day to beat the petrification TN.
If you beat it, you break out from inside the petrification, as the stone around your body bursts into shards. Oh, and if you go in prepared, and get petrified while under the effects of Repel Curse, you get this awesome stone armor with the Defense Rating of the petrification TN.

That's how I do petrification.

>Except after you get petrified, you can roll once a day to beat the petrification TN.
It was the age of gargoyles! Stone by day, warriors by night...

In one of the first campaigns I've ever ran, my players killed shittons of cockatrices in a huge sewer system. I slightly modified the D&D cockatrice to be more like the SCP one, they would lay eggs into petrified people and breed like mad. There were some memorable moments in that session, including the barbarian resisting petrification like a champ while beating cockatrices with another dead one.

In a game I ran years ago, one of the first character deaths was via petrification.
It was not D&D and there were gargoyle-like creatures that dealt debilitating stati with gaze attacks that progressively slowed and paralyzed the target, while turning them progressively cold and stone-like. Worked a little like Dexterity damages would in D&D, and if they reduced your Dexterity to 0, you were petrified. Their sorceress ate a lot of these gazes and died. It was a pity, since it was one of the few characters who did some interesting RP in the group.

In my WFRP 2e game, the players fought a cockatrice.

It missed its glare attack and petrified a goblin that had been tailing them instead, which petrified its skin and outer muscle, but only flash-cooked the internals.

I don't.
Lol you failed a roll now you can't move / are dead/ can't do anything for ages is no fun at all.

I've only encountered gorgons in play once. We were being bombarded by a trio of them from a raised platform.

I managed to possess one (three consecutive INT oppose checks, I failed several times before this but I couldn't attack them otherwise so whatever).

I tried to get her to petrify her compatriots, but I rolled so poorly I accidentally made her petrify herself.

They had gotten the barbarian earlier. I wound up possessing an ogre and throwing him up to the top level. Our wizard used an item to cure him mid air and the barbarian bifurcated one of the remaining gorgons on the way down before getting petrified again by the third.

I think we eventually bypassed the traps blocking off the top level and just rushed a third. It's been a long time since that game.

had a medusa NPC who worked as a plastic surgeon. She would petrify clients, use a chisel/quick-dry cement to modify them, then have an alchemist colleague de-stone them.

PCs got hired by her to track down a client somebody had stolen/kidnapped

Save-or-die abilities like that are meant to be a deterrent to attacking enemies head-on. You've got to come up with a plan of attack that doesn't involve exposing yourself to the source of petrification. The saving throw is supposed to maybe save you if you DO happen to fug it up and get hit, but you aren't supposed to rely on it.

The saving throw is like an airbag. It's safer with it there, for sure, but it doesn't protect you 100% of the time, and you'd rather not need it at all.

Good one in one of my campaigns, seeking a missing daughter for a big chunk of the campaign, and are buying secrets and trading magic items for information and plot hooks with this Vashar chick. In her office she has all sorts of fancy art and shit, and a full size statue of a naked woman, that she occasionally kept her hat resting on.

Of course the statue was the girl we were looking for the whole time, petrified.

Party has a side-quest going on to gain some monstrous aid for an upcoming war.

A gorgon and her illithid... girlfriend? (Don't think about it, that way lies San loss...) are looking to have a kid of their own. So far they've been trying to implant victims with an illithid tadpole, petrify them, and sculpt into some sort of hybrid before restoring them to flesh. All attempts have ended messily. So now the PCs get to look for other solutions if they want a pair that can do some serious damage to enemy formations later.

>have 12 year in squire
>he is scouting the area
>comes back saying he think he found some gorgons bathing in a stream
>says he got out of there fast as his privates were already turning to stone

In a DnD game my group was does sometimes on and off if we have a spare weekend the first dungeon we go into has a basalisk as one of the big boss monsters.

I'm playing a character that doesn't like killing things if there is a non lethal option, and I pursued the rest of the party to give my way a shot, so we slow the basilisk down by sending wave after wave of summoned wolves at it from safety behind a corner while me and the fighter sneak round behind the basalisk, lasso it, trip it, and then I successfully manage to climb on its back and blind fold and muzzle it.

The party magic type is some kind of shaman class from one of the complete splat books and has animal empathy so goes over and tries to use it on the basalisk, it's a magical beast so odds aren't good, but he gets a nat 20.

Since that day 80% of all random encounters have ended with our pet basalisk Rocky just taking down everything with one withering stony glare. The path where we have travelled is littered with the statues of shit loads of hydras that ran out of bushes and turned to stone the minute their surprise round ended.

Rocky has taken down single handedly 3 wolf packs, 12 hydras, 3 naga witchs, 4 scout patrols of Gith, 5 trolls, 3 gorgons, 1 beholder and medium sized dragon, and has some how in the process become awakened and half draconic.

He now has a habit of lounging around at the back of the party chatting esoteric philosophy in sylvan with an intelligent magic ring we picked up because he has somehow ended up with a wisdom score in the high 30's.

TLDR Our three man band of mediocre mercenaries is now being trusted with global crisis missions because of we have a really big fucking lizard and far too many points in Profession: Contract Lawyer.

I had a character who got turned to stone while standing on the _ceiling_ of a stone room.

His hairstyle was badly wounded.

Also last session my 11484 year old elf got petrified by a beholder because to his memory (open ended failure on lore check, rolemaster system basically a crit fail) beholders might look scary but they're actually entirely harmless creatures that shouldn't raise any concerns so he didn't bat an eyelid and continued sitting around not doing a whole lot except being beautiful.

Luckily we had a paladin with remove curse on hand otherwise the party would have been carry around a gorgeous statue for about a dozen miles in an underground tunnel.

Why is petrification even a fetish?

was this a 3e bull gorgon or a traditional medusa like gorgan

It's like stronger form of bondage, complete immobilization. Also plays into humiliation or dehumanization. Especially if the victim remains fully aware of their surrounding.

It's a specific form of the more general fetish of immobilization. It probably has some connection to transformation, too. The post you're replying to does a good job of how fetishism is kind of a balancing act between general concepts and specific themes. Someone can have a general fetish but come to enjoy a specific form of that fetish more, or can start with a specific fetish and then go more general. Much of it has to do with avoiding certain turn-offs while maximizing exposure to turn-ons. Someone might like the immobilization and transformation aspects of petrification but not the snuff aspect, so all of their petro fantasies would involve the victim remaining conscious. Or they might be turned off by the transformation as well, and as a result prefer encasement, like being frozen in ice, to petrification.

Medusa's one of the villainous crew in my current game. Made her introduction by petrifying one of the more popular NPC's, the drunken Paladin

In terms of design, she's a mix between a Lamia and Medusa Nadeko, complete with dissolving into pools of snakes and using her snake swarms to entangle and as little spears

We ran into a medusa once.

It didn't turn any of us to stone; I blasted it for as much damage as possible the moment the encounter started.

We had to go get some other people un-petrified when it was over, though.

Not really a story based example, but in Dungeon Saga I use the spell "feet of stone" to either stall the overlord, or to gain a tactical positioning advantage on an enemy.

Really useful in clutch when you are running out of turns.

>Mind Control as a sub-category of object transformation with a strong link to robot/doll

My anecdotal experience gives me doubt.

So to be petrified do you need to look the medusa directly in the human eyes, or do the snake eyes count too? I'd like to rule that the snake eyes paralyze you for as long as you're making eye contact with them (which may well be enough time for the medusa to turn around and petrify you for real).

Yeah, there are problems with that map, but that's soft science for you.

End your own life you disgusting piece of shit

Ran a one shot once. Post Apocalypse but with a bunch of fantasy creatures and shite added in. So PC's were scavenger's exploring modern ruins with scavenged scrapped together weapons, with goblins and griffins and shite.

They entered a hospital and there was a bunch of stone statues of people, ranging from old-timey clothes to people in scraps. They ignored it for reasons that baffle me to this day. One of them even decided to yell down a hallway. Two of the four of them died two a basilsk (one got stoned, the other died of poison after managing to kill it with some lucky rolls and a spear made from a sharpened stop sign).

Meanwhile the other two PCs ran away and ended up in the subway, where a series of cave-ins tying it into the local suspiciously spacious sewer tunnels turned it into a labyrinth. Those two got gored by a minotaur.

Fun times.

>pedos/incest/bestiality put under the same category
nah man
nah

Yeah, I think that whole "non-consenting partners" section is a little confused. Sure, rape fantasy can be a part of any of those three, but it isn't necessarily a part of any of them --- and the potential for rape fantasy being a part of it is really the only thing connecting bestiality and pedophilia.