How do you like weapons in your settings Veeky Forums? More realistic, full animu giant swords or a blend of both?

How do you like weapons in your settings Veeky Forums? More realistic, full animu giant swords or a blend of both?

Also please dump pics of non katana, single sided swords if you have any.

Unless you are playing an animu game, why would you use animu weapons in the first place?

Yes, or yes, and absolutely not. We can play "HEMAfags sperg about the relative merits of the basilard vs. katzbalger" or we can play "First Tsurugi vs Sparda sword, which is more badass", but never the twain shall meet.
For that way lies madness.

>Weapons
Full visual realism, but skipping functional realism. Only real weapons look like actual, intimidating killing tools. Animu/fantasy weapons look like plastic toys.
Also real weapons look elegant and aesthetically pleasing in many cases, while fantasy ones look like cheap shit, equivalent of rapper blings and plastic crowns for teenage "princesses"
But going into functional realism autism territory, IE, swords are useless against armor etc. is not for me.
>Armor
Much, much more liberal. Though most fantasy designs are still out since my foremost requirement towards armor is "must be believably created with pre-industrial age methods and materials" (so again, it's mostly visual realism instead of function realism, except it is more pronounced there). And your typical wow/anime armor breaks it hard. Function is not as important as long as it looks wearable (not too bulky/constraining) and seems to offer some protection. Good example would be "Vikings" TV series armor, which isn't historical, obviously, and most likely wouldn't stand against a real test of function, but if yoo don't overanalyze it, at a glance it looks okay.
>Age and Style
I'm generally more drawn towards ancient/dark age settings than to full/late medieval. Though i usually include longswords (actual, two-handed longswords, not D&D misnomer for arming sword) because fuck, I like them, and more importantly, I like swords in general so I have to have some two-handed variant.

Play a game where players are HEMA fags for hugeass animu swords?

Okay so for my setting it really depends on who is using the weapon or armor
Normal rank and file use realistic looking if perhaps somewhat ornate weapons and armor depending on rank
But heroes in my setting are basically superheroes and play by superhero rules meaning "rule of cool" and whatever fits the character, be that weapons that look little different from a common soldiers but possess the power to cut down an army with a single stroke or a weapon bigger than they are that they swing like it weighed next to nothing

Why WOULD an an all-incorparative hobby founded on a demented fusion of Jack Vance, J.R.R. Tolkien, Poul Anderson, Michael Moorcock, world mythology, your kid's damn dinosaur book, and Clark Ashton Smith and H.P. Lovecraft possibly incorporate a new cultural trend out of context? Gee, I wonder. Did I mention the Wu Xia films that led to the Monk or the Marvel Comics/Cinematic Conan that made the barbarian class a thing?

We will use animu weapons because they're fucking there goddamnit, and hell take anyone who speaks against us! All of fiction and non-fiction is our bitch, we create a thousand paracosms for every genre, and fuck you if you don't like it I hope you choke on it.

Thematic unity is for cowards. We throw shit at the wall and see what sticks, all day erry day, because we are goddamn madman. Never forget this.

>We
Are you a ruling monarch?

The world you are looking for is "I". English is already megalomaniac enough to be the only language in existence writing word describing self with capital letter. Learn to use it.

watch your tongue when you address our ruling Queen you mongrel

lol faggot.

Then it'd have been "We". Time to throw the book at the imposter.

Shashka is my swordfu

I don't mind my weapons having weird or fantastical or unrealistic elements, but it turns me off when they're too huge. It feels like gigantic weapons are a holdover from video games as a way to make the character and its weapon more visible, like giant pauldrons in miniatures games, or the big chunky weapons in the new XCOM games. It doesn't necessarily communicate well into on-paper art or up-close shots, making it looks ridiculous.

Also pic only sort of related since it's a knife, not a sword.

i am all for historic accurate weapons like battle axe pistols

Here you go man, Personally ever since highschool something "switched" in my brain and for some reason anything "anime muh waifu ninja" esque makes me cringe so hard my spine almost breaks.
Because of this I avoid it as hard as physically possible.

The falcata had really good stats in Pathfinder. Dat 18-20/x2 crit rate.

Standard weapons for standard people, some liberties taken for exceptional individuals. Realism isn't necessary, but it's good to stay grounded in common sense. Serrations make me cringe, but I'll accept it after some grumbling.

Not sure what to think of monstrously oversized weapons like pic related. On one hand, there's juvenile enthusiasm for all things badass no matter how implausible. On the other hand is concern that a normal-sized humanoid would not have enough traction to swing it around without Newton's third law ruining the fun.

look at the side of the british museum
they have dozens of weapons

Using this in Wrath of the Righteous.
It's hella nice.

Kinda have the same problem here.
I don't mind insta super cuts or similar over the top stuff THAT much, especially in settings with wizards shitting fireballs in every direction but things such as over sized weapons bother me a whole lot now. While I begrudgingly allow them, I will pull shit such as "you span so hard with your oversized sword that the momentum fucked your ankle and turned you into a roundabout" if they don't specify if they swing their weapon in a way it stops into the ground. The original dark souls is kind of a decent example of how to "realistically" use oversized shit.

Now if I could get over my dislike for katanas everything would be cool. I like the design but the facts that japanese swords are over saturate everything these days and every single edgy 13 year old gets a boner for them has left a really bitter taste in my mouth.

That thing looks like a fucking hockey stick.

I want one.

I agree with this user.

Then again, it's not so much the oversized blades themselves that put me off. It's the that that characters usually wield them as if they were made of styrofoam.

Berserk actually managed to do fuckhuge blades right. Issues of realism aside, it does get the message across that Guts' blade is insanely heavy and that a normal human being shouldn't even be able to lift it. And Guts' sword still looks pretty damn heavy when he's wielding it.

But fantasy characters that wave around weapons as if they're plastic movie props? That just kills my suspension of disbelief.

Suspension of disbelief is part of it, but it also just plain looks terrible and lazy when there's no weight to a weapon, even if it's a reasonably-sized one. Think about this difference in video games, like between the first Darksiders game and something like Dark Souls.

In Darksiders, War's Chaos Eater felt like a wet noodle. You would wail on the same zombie a dozen times and it wouldn't even fucking flinch.

In Dark Souls, even a one-handed sword felt meaty when it slammed into an enemy.

very realistic

I know this is plastic, but it's just such a pleasing shape

ENGAGE THE ART DUMP

I like a variety. The more closely the sword is tied to the culture that crafted it the happier I am. But there are a few real life oddball swords out there.

Seeing as I have a githyanki story to do, I pulled some of my weirdest up.

Last one for me.

This is actually a mace. But still.

user, those are sticks. Really, really fancy whacking sticks.

Someone actually made this abomination.

Museum Replicas Limited sometimes pulls some weird shit out of their asses. Like this. Everyone knows he used a spear - specifically, one that never misses.

Yeah, but it's China, what do you expect.

This is an actual silver sword.

Pattern 1821 heavy cavalry sword. Got to love how it's utterly utilitarian.

Salt Lake City Swords made this. I want to know what the smith was thinking.

This is a paired set of sword and bar mace; they fit in the same sheath.

Great for bypassing DR.

I think they made this too.

Fellow actually made this too. It has a follow up picture.

More a saber than a katana despite the tip.

I suspect he does know saber fighting. The grip is too perfect for it (semi pistol grip).

An actual vajra sword, used against the profaners and blasphemers.

and last, someone actually was not only weeb enough, but skilled enough to construct a functional Gumn's Battle Angel Alita's balisong blade.

At a more human usable level, of course. But still!

does battle angel alita count as weeb

Why are you posting this fucking garbage, you mong?

Whacking sticks are useful for armored opponents.

Because people actually made and built these swords, and many of them are functional. and some aren't. But OP asked what kinds of blades were settign appropriate......and githyanki would certainly be using those weird swords.

And just to piss you off further, this is an actual moro blade made and used in real life.

This bastard hatred his enemies.

"Fuck it, it looks cool."

This is a close up of the edge.

This wouldn't cut you, it would rip you open.

>Resolution: 800x600
>Anti-aliasing: OFF

...Are you sure it wasn't just rusted? Pattern welding uses different kinds of steel, which might erode at different tates, causing that pattern. It still looks cool, though; for all I know it was done intentionally.

Probably because they're interesting. No need to sperg out because someone constructed a fantasy blade that's actually a shitty sword.

At least it's better than the MMORPG ones that are made of floating orbs and dragon dildos.

Pear of anguish attached to a rapier's hilt.

No, he clearly attached the blade to a secondary piece as part of the hilt, and the handle is in good condition while clearly being worn...

Okay, that's funny.

Guh, Christ--for what purpose?!

Whatever the hipster version of weeb is, it's that.

Nobody expects the pear!

Second pretty much all this post. I just like the aesthetics of realism better than a bunch of shit sticking out, being too big, etc

Oh look, it's Kagehisa the fagget, how is the mugai ryu going? aside from dead I mean.

I actually like this alot despite how impractical anyone wants to argue it is.

Properly fucking orky.

Swordposting? Swordposting.

Sticking to what OP requested as much as possible.

Discard sword, acquire space magic

I think a blend of both is healthy. What's the point of make-believe without having a little bit of fun with it?

Can't believe no one has mentioned this fucking thing yet

Goddamn Africans.

So basically all the WoW weapon designers are african sword-smiths?
That would explain quite a lot.

Realistic weapons supplemented with animu weapons that serve different roles from regular weapons. The realistic arms and armor are the bread and butter; best functional utility for their weight, but nothing special. There's a small gradient of fantasy present with all equipment, where you trade practicality for more utility, special abilities, or more power. Maximillian armor is elegant and protective, but Fortified Parade Armor gives up some protection for flair in both appearance and stats, while Gravel the Cock Seanson's Armor weighs like a brick house, protects like one too, and prevents the wearer from getting knocked over.