Hey Veeky Forums, what do we call this setting? Its almost unarguably a mix of scifi and fantasy genre...

Hey Veeky Forums, what do we call this setting? Its almost unarguably a mix of scifi and fantasy genre, but whats the setting group? Post-post apocalypse?

Scifi that stretches so far into the future that it surpasses human downfall from our overuse of technology, and passes into an almost medieval fantasy age once more.

Most of the examples I have are anime, which is weird since I don't even really like anime as much as most of my gaming group. Stuff like:

Nausicaa, Last Exile, Castle in the Sky, Desertpunk, Gun x Sword, etc.

Anyone have recommendations for more media to consume of this style?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LhAobPugvsk
mediafire.com/?b4mhrfnyc6k6r#p9pj05yeq5adx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Book of the New Sun

I'm reading about this now... It looks fascinating but, you're confusing what I'm asking about with "dying earth", which I am also very familiar with. I would argue the setting style I'm asking about is a step before dying earth. Nausicaa is all about the fact that the earth WILL return to normal after a long period of time, if human's just stop fucking with the process. Dying Earth tends to be more... final...

Post-postapocalyptical is a common enough setting for French and Belgian scifi comics. The Waters of Dead Moon, Chronicles Of The Fixed Earth Nights, Dungeon Twilight, The Forgotten Pyx, Jeremiah, and Keeper of the Maser are the ones I can find in a hurry. Some more have been scanlated.

Some others, like Aria or Mercenary are set so far into the future of their own setting that barely anything remains of the technlogically advanced past. The latter half of Percevan is actually set after they managed to put the lid back on the Apocalypse that was already setting up a base for a global tour.

Adventure Time has a surprising amount of this type of thing

youtube.com/watch?v=LhAobPugvsk

Oh hey! you're so right! never thought about it.

Which of all these are the best media?

look up The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson

Science Fantasy.

well, there is an upcoming PC-RPG called Elex what has that kind of background.
Is from the guys who made Gothic...

Already read it all and all the fan homages.
Great stuff, chilling and cool at the same time.

Checking it out.

>PC-RPG called Elex
Oh... looks like God of Warcraft :/

forgot to say, it will come 2017...

They're all pretty decent, but very different from each other.

Waters is set in the ruins of Paris that's controlled by a freaky immortal king who has the last industrial-sized water production machine in the region
Chronicles is set on a future Earth that has stopped rotating, it's about tribals, machine-gods and maladjusted survivors setting out on a quest.
Dungeon Twilight is a funnies series with anthro characters. It's set very late in the timeline, at a point where the planet it's set on has gone to pieces and only an evil god-emperor's will is keeping them mostly in each other's vincinity
Pyx is set in a crash-landed colony ship that went back to being an EXTREEEEM feudal class society out of necessity
Jeremiah is set in the US after it was wrecked by a race war somewhere during the 80s, I think, but they're stuck in the 70s.
Maser is set on a colonial planet that got fucked over when their dwarf slaves revolted and wrecked the most advanced first settlement, cutting the rest of the colony off tech support and navigation.
Aria is a fantasy series that has some episodes feature past technology
Merchenary is basically a Planetary Romance about a dragon rider who joins a secret society and deals with some asshole absusing ancient tech artifacts.
Percevan is a fantasy series with some rather dark turns.

Jesus these all sound amazing. Any idea where i can view any of them.

Waters, Twilight, Maser, Merchenary and Percevan have been scanned in recent years. You should be able to request dl-links on the thursday piracy thread on /co/.

The rest are from the 80s, which means that links to scans are usually dead, or from the Heavy Metal mag. Your only chance to read parts of those is to find a DL for the issues they were released in. Chronicles got one book translated and the second one scanlated, I think.

My Comic Blog, avaxhome and the kaskus eurocomics forum are the usual sources for Francobelgian scanlations outside of that.

Here's a link to Arkadi's World/ Fixed Earth Chronicles

mediafire.com/?b4mhrfnyc6k6r#p9pj05yeq5adx

There's also Niourk (excellent comic adaptation)

And the novel La Foret d'Iscambre, but I don't think it's been translated.

IMO, it's still post-apoc settings, simply from a different culture. France has nuclear winters like in Snowpiercer or giant jungles instead of ash wastes and radioactive deserts, but the stories told are roughtly the same.

Whoever you are, thanks.

Wow thank you! Any other comics in that trove you can recommend? Doesn't matter the genre.

Tell me more about That Thing that Nods

Most of the stuff isn't fleshed out at all. A lot of the named things aren't even visited in the stories.

All I want is to know more about that thing

It used to just be Fantasy.

Whatever you're thinking, that's what it is.

If you want more media from Japan, the first couple Etrian Odyssey games, at least, have some very heavy themes like this, though they're buried beneath many layers of old-school first-person dungeon-crawling. The recent 3DS Etrian Odysset Untold remakes of the first two games make it a little more overt, though.

The Ar Tonelico series is also possibly worth a look, as that setting's gone through an apocalypse or two and continues on. It has some fun things, like giant towers which are reality-altering computers programmed via songs, and happen to harbor the only inhabitable landmasses remaining. Also, mages are technically themselves a form of lost technology.