/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

The stuff of nightmares edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

>Last threads

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/BSData/ronin
chirinesworkbench.blogspot.co.nz/search/label/game photos
chirinesworkbench.blogspot.co.nz/search/label/Braunstein
chirinesworkbench.blogspot.co.nz/2014/07/essay-on-braunstein-part-second-for.html,
ideaswithoutend.wordpress.com/2016/11/27/heavy-gear-army-backstory-the-mendez-connection-150tv-caprice/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Heads up, CMON is having a Black Friday sale. Wrath of Kings and Dark Age stuff is about 50% off.

github.com/BSData/ronin

get here your Ronin datafiles for Battlescribe

Gates of antares any good? boromite models look fucking sweet.

From what I can tell, its like 40k, but not as bad.

Sometimes I wonder why there's no Alternative Cardgames General.

because they're all deaddddddddd (and netrunner can usually keep a general)

Never played 40k so I wouldn't know about tat but I like bolt action a lot.

It's kind of like that, as far as I'm concerned with some extra stuff.

Then you'll like it. Its mostly Bolt Action with D10's at its core.

Welp, there's my boner.

Fucking cool.

Hopefully the other factions get cool centerpiece shit like that.

Spartan's kickstarter has somehow reached it's goal.

Make a lie big enough and people will believe you.

I'm going to be generous and hope that Spartan turn themselves around and realise that they need to do a better job.

I'm not going to be generous enough to back.

Anyone have any experience with Anvil Industries? Their upcoming SF trencher stuff looks cool but I'd like to know what sort of quality to expect.

Bretty gud. They are flash free, tho there are some mouldlines that need to be removed, but detal is excellent, and they are really enjoyable to paint.

This might overlap with /osrg/, but if you like old grogs who've been playing fantasy for decades, chirinesworkbench.blogspot.co.nz/search/label/game photos is absolutely worth a look. The first couple of posts in that link are a Tekumel Sakbe Road, and not terribly inspiring unless you're into that kind of thing, but the accompanying writing talks about a wargame. Other posts (and stuff outside of the photos category) are pretty great though.

He talks a lot about Braunstein-style games he's run - chirinesworkbench.blogspot.co.nz/search/label/Braunstein

Braunsteins are kind of the immediate ancestor of D&D, being multiplayer wargame scenarios with players taking specific roles. From chirinesworkbench.blogspot.co.nz/2014/07/essay-on-braunstein-part-second-for.html, for instance:

>You are:
>The Temple Guards from the Temple of Serqu's war god, Lord Karakan

>You have miniatures:
>A dozen human guards in red and gold armor, and several magic users who can cast spells; use long template for ranged spells.

>You also have:
>One small sailing ship, one longboat; name them yourself.
>A pile of gold for bribing your fellow players.

>Your goal is:
>1. Find the castaways, take them back to your temple, and collect the reward.
>2. Prevent everyone else from rescuing the castaways.

>Your figures move each turn:
>12" per turn in open terrain, 6" per turn in all other terrain, 4" per turn swimming
>Your ships or boats move each turn: 12 inches per turn

>Your Armor class is: twelve
>Your Attack factor is: fourteen

Of course, the fellow players - including the one playing as the castaways - have their own opinions.

Also those spell effect things are little IKEA LED domelight things. They look really good in dim light and darkness.

What the shit is that fuck?

its hideous but so cool as well. Like wtf even is that? Like a giant armoured carpet mite

Some kind of angry lava monster with armour and a crew.

Or just armour and turrets - I thought I saw someone riding her but I'm just sleepy.

So this came out on pre-order today. Anyone getting it?

>actualy buying anything from GW
Not gonna happen, even if I love SBG.

>letting a company decide if you buy something or not.
Seriously? Who gives a fuck who the company is if you enjoy the game?

>Who gives a fuck who the company is if you enjoy the game?
You know what GW is, right?

Also, how much is the book? 70, 80, 100GBP?

yes, i've been playing the game since it started in the early 2000's. and the book is £35 a for nearly 200 full colour page hardback.

Not buying from a company because you dislike their business practice is a perfectly valid reason.

>£35
I admit, you caught me off-guard with that.

Remember, the SBG isn't main studio GW anymore. It's a small, in house team in Forgeworld. They're basically working off what the fans want now. Looking forward to the plastic lake town houses in the next week or so.

>They're basically working off what the fans want now
Cheap plastic kits?

Because that's really not what they're doing with the...40GBP for 12 dorfs. Oh how I cry for the times when a box was 15GBP for 24 dudes, sculpted by the Perry bros...

>Mr. Jingles

Mee hee!

you'll never get those back and you know it. and it's still cheaper by about £8 than the finecrap blisters they have out right now.

I remember that the fact that they were super cheap monopose figures with few pieces was a drawing point, especially for newbies. Thankfully recasters and ebay exist.

What game is the clown from?

Someone is riding and controlling it though user.

>want to get into dystopian wars
>Company makes nothing but dead games anyway

Nope.

Maybe this is just me being thick, but surely theres nothing stopping you playing the game if you can find players right?

So I'm thinking of using the CMON sale to pick up some Dark Age stuff. I was thinking of grabbing a small selection of Kukulkani and Fire Caste stuff for demoing purposes. What would be some good recommendations for someone just starting?

How would you guys go to make a skirmish system with advancements that has a cool mechanic for resolving both conflict against the other player and against the enviroment?

The most used one I can think of is rolling below your attribute.

How about making one in which you may add risk for a potential reward? Something like SoBaH

Someone in a previous thread was going on about a fantasy battle game that made KoW look clunky and shitty, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called- I want to check it out
Can anyone help me out?

Hordes of the Things.

+1 Worked for them briefly as an outsource sculptor, their casting is on point. Sculpt wise they are getting better, still not on the level of other companies but pretty high up there considering the other alternatives!

Does anyone have the updated LOTR Battle companies PDF?

With all the new warbands and all

Lion/Dragon Rampart.

I was at one point toying with the idea of neutral AI for random encounters. It was a simple priority list; if in melee, attack, if not, charge, if can't, move towards nearest model, etc. Had like 3 or 4 different behaviors. But didn't develope it, didn't know if it was too complicated for use every game. That, plus couldn't inspirie myself to work on the game. Kept getting hung up on a few small things.

The new kickstarter *might* kick some life into it but caveat emptor and all that.

Still I think DW is one of their slightly less dead games.

Only because the few of us that like it desperately try to keep it alive in spite of Spartan trying to kill it with lack of models, updates and advertising.

I can find the players but getting more players and dealing with discontinued support is a problem.

Did somebody make a giant monster cream puff and slap guns on it?

I'm thinking of buying two starters, and just using FullThrust rules for the ships. It's actually very good match, aside from no boarding (which is a fucking mess in DW anyway).

Why hasn't anyone decided to make a wargame involving plastic armymen?
>incredibly cheap & easy to get
>usually standard size (around 1 1/4")
>varied poses & weapons
>vehicles like choppers and tanks add more variety
>only downside I can think of is they're not the best to paint
I'd be down to start one if others can help & contribute.

Because that's everyone's first wargame homebrew.

Not to burst your bubble but I'm fairly sure there exists more than one wargame precisely like what you describe.

Of course, don't let that deter you from making your own.

Several people have.

Oh.

Its actually a good exercise if you're into game designing.

Sounds kind of like Frostgrave.

Don't get too disheartened user, designing your own game is definitely a good experience to have and you might be able to make a better game than those which currently exist.

Grab starter sets. If one isn't available then make sure to grab a model qith leader or command or whatever that ability is called.

trying again, does anybody here have opinions on Dreadball? (does it even belong here?) (do you happen to have its rules?)

are you italian?your name sounds very italian

Some photos of new Star Saga models from Mantic Games open day were just released.

I think that's the guy from Ctrl-Alt-Del on the left there. They have the same haircut at least.

Ken just wasn't the same after being drafted.

Nope. American born and raised.

if you don't know, in italian la bamba means the weed

I did not. I got it from the song.

If the internet has taught me anything, it is that any conceivable combination of letters means either 'dick', 'pussy' or 'weed' in some frickin' language.

Kinda. Was working on a sci-fi dungeon crawl similar, but with full warband progression.

I wanted the Shadow starter, but they're still sold out. Shame they couldn't get any more in before the sale.

I'm thinking the Kukulkani starter with one or 2 extra purchases , and then 500~ of Fire.

formerly comfychair's spinespur range, now rebel minis.

It looks like the Fire Caste starter is sold out on their site, too.

For Fire Caste grab a Spirit Lord. They're big and beefy but offer leadership abilities that are super helpful.

Thankfully you can check out all the stat cards online and figure out what will work best for you.

For a 28mm mini what is the averange size of its base?

Usually 25mm.

Depending on the bulk, they might have 32mm for a Space Marine-sized model, but a standard adult human-sized miniature at 28mm is usually universally based on a 25mm base.

Usually 25mm.

Once the models get to 32mm scale you start seeing more 30mm bases come into play(which I personally like more anyway).

>30mm bases come into play(which I personally like more anyway).
I like those a lot too. I've decided to base my fantasy minis that I use for skirmishing entirely on such bases, and I'm trying to convince myself not to base my Deadzone minis as such, but Iunno, they just look much better.

You mean lipped bases?

I thought they were unnecessary and ugly, or required extensive basing (which is a faff I didn't usually bother with), but then I got into Malifaux - with such a low model count, basing is not a trial and the models look so muchbetter for it.

>You mean lipped bases?
Yes.

>several people have
>YOU DON'T NEED A NEW UNIQUE GAME JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE ARMY MEN, JUST PLAY FUCKING FIVECORE OR YOUR SKIRMISH SYSTEM OF CHOICE, JESUS

The Perrys will never release well priced historical figures of arabs and asians comparable to the Harad and Khand miniatures they made.

Friends, countrymen, Romans!

Tell me about Your Dudes, who are they? What were their crowning glories? Regimental colours? Anything!

Am I crazy, or does that mega link for Frostgrave in the trove go directly to the lich addon? I'm looking for Sellsword. Anyone want to help a new user out? Just got into miniatures on Friday. Got a Hordes circle of oroboros battlegroup for $11 on sale after I found a local fg league, want to make the human from it my captain.

Used to have a Skaven team for Mordheim that was fucking glorious.

The assassin used throwing stars with all those skills to make them more deadly. More range, 3 stars per turn and a lot of power. Pretty deadly.

Most of the other guys were melee though, not the typical 40 shots per turn skaven warband. The only exception was one of the shittier heroes (don't remember the title exactly) that had become a really competent sniper and used a Hochland Long Rifle. Everyone in the group was afraid of him, because he had good BS and a lot of shooting skills, was known to 1-shot-1-kill everything.

Good times. One of my black skaven had become stupid after failing a check and falling only a few centimeters, getting himself killed and retarded in the process. Mordheim was such fun sometimes.

Just ordered this. Black Friday (weekend) deal. 20 pounds instead of 70. I would recommend you guys to do the same if you have any interest in it. Even if you don't, you get so much stuff that you can just use them to practice painting or something.

128 page rulebook, 31 minis, metal Kyle Reese model, cardboard terrain, dice etc. It's a great deal at 70 pounds and a fucking no-brainer at 20 pounds.

Anyone working on anything? I just painted the last Mount for my 150 points of Caprice, ready for a game on Tuesday.

So a bottle lid can work as poor man's minis

I've got so much itxd be hard to go through it all.

Last thing I painted was Hansen's Hunters; my CCC team for MERCS. Their colors make them look like Doomguy, which is okay with me.

I'm about to grab pic related, am I making a big mistake? I just went for the miniatures I loved, I realise most likely all the forsaken do not belong to the same sub faction.

Also, I am a sucker for fluff & artwork, are the books worth it? Or are the drawings & paintings deviantArt tier?

Nothing wrong with grabbing stuff because you like it.

If you're worried about playability, you got enough for that. Nice thing about Dark Age is the low model count. Mounted Saint Mark is something like 200 pts. out of thr standard 500 pts. alone.

Looking for plastic for early 100 Year War dismounted knights i.e. Crecy (1346) and Poitiers (1356).

stingers are st. luke specific, and flense st. Mary IIRC. Otherwise looks like a good set of Mark/Outcasts stuff

...ok?

28mm

Sorry if I was unclear. Does anyone make a plastic early HYW range in 28mm?

Perry.

I have been inspired to write a narrative-style army list for My latest Dudes:

ideaswithoutend.wordpress.com/2016/11/27/heavy-gear-army-backstory-the-mendez-connection-150tv-caprice/

They're a bunch of anti-colonial resistance squatting in an abandoned airport, running out of food and wondering how the fuck they're going to see out the winter given attacking the occupation forces too strongly will invite harsh retribution on civilians...

Thanks anons! Any opinions on the books? Are they worth it?