Surely I'm not the only person on this entire goddamn board who plays this right? Can we get a Delta Green thread going?

Surely I'm not the only person on this entire goddamn board who plays this right? Can we get a Delta Green thread going?

>How do you think the new lore is shaping up?
>Have you played any DG recently?
>FUCKING CASE OFFICER'S HANDBOOK WHEN?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/3wewotnl3ns5vn3/CoC - DG - Rulebook -
mediafire.com/?njg3a0ne7v130
img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1417/23/1417230492354.pdf
mediafire.com/download/f3ygcpda5cfitl7/CoC - DG - Rulebook - Countdown.pdf
dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta Green Need to Know.pdf?dl=1
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1461968691
reddit.com/r/DeltaGreenRPG/comments/5bfi3r/2016_delta_green_shotgun_scenario_contest/
youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0147905
fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/canon
radishmag.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/cosmic-horror/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You're better off posting this as /ysg/ (Yog-Sogoth General.)

Not a huge fan of the new lore; I'm sticking to the "illegal" DG in my games.

Ran Last Things Last for a group of newbie friends. Went well.

Apparently, early next year.

Well, the illegal DG still technically exists, right? Although, who knows how much it's been gutted by people leaving for the official organization.

Planning on also running Last Things Last for a group of newbies, since my copy of Need to Know should be arriving tomorrow.

>dat image
>dat kid signing the Elder Sign in blood
Isn't that shit supposed to repel mythos creatures? At least deep ones?

Wait, I thought DG was still illegal and unofficial/unorganized in the new printing. When did they change it?

MJ12 has been disavowed due to their failure to prevent 9/11 and DG was partially brought in from the cold. Not everyone is on board with coming inside though, so the "cowboys" are maintaining the original conspiracy.

Last Things Last is good as a starter adventure. Just be careful if they let "Marlene" out of the tank, she can probably kill at least one of them in the intervening two-three rounds before she runs off. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing but I try to avoid character deaths in the first adventure.

I've been writing hooks for each of the items the players find at Clyde Baughman's remote cabin.

It's nice. Feels like they really did a good job on streamlining the overall game. Easy to run, easy to play.

I don't really care much about the lore, because a lot of shit is not meant for players to know and you can mess with it as much as you want, but legalizing Delta Green makes it kind of simpler to introduce new players - on first adventures they actually have some leeway and official support, but the further it goes the more they become on their own.

Can't decide my stance on removed psychic skills. On one hand, it's good to not have any one of those at game start, on the other, I'll have to homebrew something myself if I want to introduce unnatural things PCs can use.

Played in a campaign for roughly half a year. It was paused due to scheduling issues, hope we'll continue soon. I'm starting a game myself tomorrow. Starting with Lover in the Ice and continuing with winter-themed adventures Nyarlathotep stole Christmas!. Hyped as fuck.

I want to enjoy it but no one plays it or is interested in playing. Kind of like Adeva, EotE and any other game that sin't 3.pf.

Magic shenanigans are supposed to get some support in the upcoming Case Officer's Handbook. My player's haven't accessed anything that would give them knowledge of Mythos spells (yet) but when they do I'll port over Cthulhu 7th ed spells. And yeah, good not to have those available at the start.

Lover in the Ice is another good intro; I'm a sucker for body horror-related stuff though so biased.

How do you portray Delta Green and the world in general?

I prefer my games to not be all existential horror and have a tiny bit of hope instead. Sort of like "everything is horrible and will certainly destroy us if we make the tiniest slip, but we can delay that if we try hard enough again and again and again". Basically the steamboat meme, except that the steamboat only made the dragonsquidbro briefly disoriented but enough to prevent him from fully awakening before the stars ceased to be right.

And Delta Green is an organization that genuinely cares about its own and humanity, not just men in black that use friendlies and new recruits as cannon fodder.If an established agent would require serious help, the org will try and provide at least some - medical care when wounded, lighter sentence if convicted, and such, and if an agent fucks up, the priority is fixing the situation first and punishing the agent later. Also, if something is found out and proven to be at least mostly harmless in the long-term, it can be freely used by those in the know, so experienced agents often carry and use minor supernatural trinkets, like charms that make you less detectable to unnatural, weapons that are blessed to harm the normally immune things or earrings that allow you to understand a language without knowing it.

Quick question from a new GM: How do you guys getting stats for monsters that aren't featured in the scenarios? Bakhyee, Ghouls, etc. Is there a database of those monsters for the new DG system or will I have to convert them all from CoC?

Also they actively work together with other anti-spooky-shit agencies like GRU-SV8, PISCES and Section Disparu, in the spirit of "there's too much nasty shit in the universe already, let's not worsen our situation with petty conflicts". I recently ran a short campaign with a party composed of a PISCES agent, a Section Disparu agent and a Gruppe Rubin operative. They chased a shard cult with some spooky powers all across '90s Europe. It went wonderful and had a slight Hotel Grand Budapest vibe.

I used to play it until the new version shit all over it.

Fuck new Delta Green, fuck kickstarter and fuck you

Nothing is stopping you from playing the old version and/or using its fluff, user.

I take the middle ground approach. Things are dire, but it's not "lol, world's gonna end in like a decade." Delta Green does care about its own (if more for utilitarian reasons than any other.)

Convert from CoC. Divide every stat by 5 and you're golden.

This too. Except that PISCES is puppets of the Shan now.

I'm not a yuge fan of the new fluff but the rules are pretty nice.

PISCES has been the puppet of the Shan since Countdown, not just now

You're right, misremembered.

From a gameplay perspective, how restricted do you make the Elder Sign spell?

It doesn't make sense, internally, for all of the canonical conspiracies and monsters and magic to still be hidden.

If you're going to make a thread about a game you should check the archive for the books, agent. That's basic tradecraft.

>The Group (Old and Busted)

>Delta Green 6th edition - mediafire.com/download/3wewotnl3ns5vn3/CoC - DG - Rulebook -
+Delta+Green+Rulebook.pdf
>CoC Delta Green - mediafire.com/?njg3a0ne7v130
img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1417/23/1417230492354.pdf
>Countdown - mediafire.com/download/f3ygcpda5cfitl7/CoC - DG - Rulebook - Countdown.pdf
CoC Delta Green

>The Program (The New Hotness)

>Need to Know - dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta Green Need to Know.pdf?dl=1
>Agent's Handbook - uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1461968691

I like the new lore a lot. Majestic 12 and all the shit with the grays and UFOs was the weakest part of the old series. I like the semi legitimate DG because there's a great mechanical tension between your ability to requisition additional resources through legitimate channels, and the increased exposure that you risk by doing so.

I don't think Last Things First works well as an introductory adventure, since it requires the players to already have knowledge of the conspiracy and what it does. The mission is visit a DG agent's home and clean up anything that might compromise the conspiracy, but if the players are new they might not have any idea what that means. Yes you can explain to them what the organization does and what their responsibilities are, but there are plenty of other scenarios that don't require that initial knowledge, or can get the players up to speed over the course of the game.

It's still a good, compact scenario, it's just not the right choice for people who know nothing about the setting.

Fuck you too, kid. BRP is trash, and the farther the new edition gets from it, the better.

I'd let my players spray paint it using a stencil if they were smart enough to think of doing so.

They talk about this in the Agent's Handbook. The explanation is that the truly unnatural is extremely rare and tends to consume itself, and modern society is very jaded with respect to belief.

As to how the conspiracies have remained secret, see the last. The only ones who will entertain stories from (probably half-crazy) people who claim that the government is hiding fungus aliens from another dimension are tabloids, who no one believes. Of course, the DG's equivalent of /x/ is probably convinced but no one else.

Treat all the CoC and DG splats as possibilities for what might be going on in the background, not an ironclad list of things that all occur in the same world. Because, yeah, if everything in the Malleus Monsrtorum or in DG Countdown existed all at once, the setting would be so completely overloaded with conspiracies and apocalypses and monster attacks that none of it could possibly be kept secret.

Some dude released actual, classified material to /pol/ like two years ago and the overwhelming response was:

>fake and gay

Also, what this guy said:

I heard Puppet Shows and Shadow Plays is a good intro. The one where players start as normal crimimal investigators and then spooky shit happens.

The 2016 scenario contest is live

reddit.com/r/DeltaGreenRPG/comments/5bfi3r/2016_delta_green_shotgun_scenario_contest/

Anyone working on anything good?

I just playtested mine yesterday and it went pretty well. The highlight was when the CIA agent tried to shoot a (serpent) man before throwing him out of a plane.

>the truly unnatural is extremely rare

Not judging by the sourcebooks.

>and tends to consume itself,

Cop-out premise absent in Lovecraft.

>and modern society is very jaded with respect to belief.

For one reason: The total real-world absence of evidence of any of the stuff in DG.

You can actually do magic? Take a Nobel prize. Take two. One for the summer home.

It doesn't matter if you replace the obvious supernatural stuff in the canon with your own equally obvious supernatural stuff.

I was sold a bill of goods. Countdown said "This is the apocalypse!"

>It doesn't matter if you replace the obvious supernatural stuff in the canon with your own equally obvious supernatural stuff.

Nobody is suggesting you do that. They are suggesting you remove the most obvious stuff and replace it with nothing.

>I was sold a bill of goods. Countdown said "This is the apocalypse!"

Countdown is not 'canon' and neither is any other piece of printed matter produced by Chaosium or Pagan Publishing or any other dev. It's up to you to decide.

>Not judging by the sourcebooks.

In a United States consisting of ~300 million people and a world of ~7 billion it's pretty rare. Plus like said the sourcebooks aren't definitive lists, they're guides for GMs.

>Cop-out premise absent in Lovecraft.

By this I mean the Mythos doesn't really leave survivors when it crops up. If a shoggoth ambushes hikers in the Himalayas, on the very slim chance one survives he'll be dismissed as a lunatic (and very likely is one.)

>For one reason: The total real-world absence of evidence of any of the stuff in DG.

Pretty much every single organization wants to keep the existence of the unnatural secret; that's basically the one thing everyone can agree on, including opponent groups like Serpent Men, the Fate, et cetera. Loose ends get tied up quickly.

Gonna run Cold Dead Hand using new DG rules soon. Anybody with experience running it have any suggestions to keep things interesting between arrivals at the two major locations?

This is comfy and the best way to do things. Also, reminder that the existentialist horror meme is a Chaosium thing.

>tfw always wanted to play a Program since well before it existed
>now it's in the book as a core option and likely the more popular one

I'm mostly just dying to see who the new central antagonists now that... pretty much all of the OG ones are gone. Falling Towers and the PISCES book have me crazy hype.

It's nice. The only flaw is that native american magic plays a semi-major role in the form of a coyote spirit that helps the investigators find clues, and comes to one player in a drug-induced dream. I personally don't like having that kind of thing alongside the mythos, but I suppose it can be written out without much trouble.

I mean, is it explicitly a Native American spirit thing or is it something that predates them and just happened to get included into their beliefs?

Submitted mine the other day. Still waiting for it to get posted.

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8

I absolutely love the puzzlebox in Lover in the Ice. When a character solved it and the player whined that he lost his precious character, I ask him if he really thought that solving a creepy puzzlebox, found with other obviously unnatural items, in a secret storage room, that belongs to a secret organization that fights unnatural things, and to which he belongs, in a world where unnatural is real and dangerous, was a good idea. The looks on his faces was priceless.

>solving the puzzle kills you XD

This is cancer, and so are you if you disagree.

Fuck you. It's literally the plot for tge whole Hellraiser franchise, and it was great.

Just got back from running Last Things Last for a bunch of buddies, went really well and they like the game so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some other good scenarios for non-experienced players?

I ran this for Halloween for a group of mostly newbies. Great success. I feel bad for the couple whose house we played at because they had to sleep there after we all left.

It's nice, but I don't really see it as full-blown adventure. Almost no investigation and no conflict, and the Hounds seem kinda tacked on.

It would be a great thing to be found in a Green Box, though.

You can certainly ignore the canon, but denying that there is a canon is a stupid excuse for not trying hard to make the canon sustainable.

Well what would you expect from /pol/?

>It's nice, but I don't really see it as full-blown adventure
It's not, user; it's an entry for this year's Shotgun Scenario contest.

The point is not to write a full-blown adventure. The point is to write a mini-adventure in 1500 words or less.

The Cult of Transcendence alone touches millions of people and stages rallies in some of its puppet orgs with obviously supernatural creatures.

Lovecraft wasn't afraid to leave loose ends, like the Mountains of Madness.

Even wanting to keep the supernatural secret, you just can't do it in the long run. -- journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0147905

Pretty much every archaeologist in the world would need to be an insider.

You want your horror comfy? Self-defeating.

Existentialist horror is a Lovecraft thing. It's the whole idea. If you want comfy creature features, play D&D.

There is no /ysg/ up right now.

Correct, user. Your gold fucking star is in the mail.

Anyone else want to play State the Obvious?

There is no such thing as canon. Delta Green is fanfiction. It's fanfiction of a 'setting' which was shared between several people for fun and never intended to be internally self consistent.

It's up to you to decide what's true and what isn't in your game world. If you can't grasp that, this genre isn't for you. You'll certainly never be able to GM it properly.

The devs have the same problem: fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/canon

Veeky Forums wouldn't be having this conversation if we couldn't agree on what Delta Green is, i.e. what is canon. It is blisteringly obvious to all of us that we can *choose to ignore* canon, but so what? That decision has no impact on the quality of the canon. The same decision is available in literally every fucking game ever made.

I want to, but I have trouble writing my scenario...

What's your scenario? Or your ideas?

It' gonna be kind of SCP inspired, because my players wanted that for a while. I have a town plagued by a group of monsters (inspired by SCP 939) which have gathered a cult around themselves. They have a kind of parasitic relationship with the town's inhabitants, and use them as livestock, breeders, and caretakers for their children, which look human for a few years before turning into the same monstrosities that their parents are. The agents are sent to investigate an unusually high rate of disappearances in the town, which is people being abducted by the cult to feed their masters.

My problem is finding interesting clues that would lead the agents to the cult (and the monsters) without it being too obvious.
I could make the cult members look crazy, but the agents would just follow them and find the monsters. Done. Too fast and not interesting.

I plan to let them see the parasite children. They'll be weird, like albino or something, so the players will know something is up. But how do I make that into an actual clue that leads them to the cult?

>decide to start a game
>easily enough assemble a group, 6 people strong, too hyped to suspect anything
>3 of them leave before the first session
>the fourth leaves immediately after it

I want to fucking kill myself now. It wasn't even my own adventure, it's just a pre-made one. Maybe I really am a shitty GM.

>b-but other games have that problem too!

Then why are you whining about this game in particular?

Lovecraft's entire thing in his loosely connected stories is that Europe is the only civilization that works and that scientists are all fucking wrong and that nothing makes sense.

That's literally it.

Baka user! I said you can *choose to ignore* the canon of any game. That is *not* a problem! It's awesome!

The problem is gradually declining credibility (believability, workability, whatever you prefer) in Delta Green. Too many large conspiracies, too much uncontrolled evidence.

That problem is specific to Delta Green. It is silly to pretend that the problem does not exist because any GM can invent their own game instead of using the game they paid for.

so, yesterday I GMed the Cold Dead Hand module for 3 players.

Funnily the most traumatic thing they encountered was something that they made for themselves: when leaving the gulag they thought that they shouldn't leave the dogs behind and tried to grenade them...

>Lovecraft's entire thing in his loosely connected stories is that Europe is the only civilization that works and that scientists are all fucking wrong and that nothing makes sense.

Oh dear. No. That sounds like /pol/'s wishful thinking.

Lovecraft was a racist, that much is sad but true. However, he wasn't trying to make the point that "Europe is the only civilization that works". The various non-white wizards in his stories have a genuinely superior understanding of the universe than his white protagonists. When the guy in Innsmouth gets a chance, he gladly, joyfully, abandons European civilization for a better one.

Lovecraft respected science. He implies that a more fully developed science, like Ward's or Tillinghast's, would make sense of more of the universe.

The point of Lovecraft's stories is never that "nothing makes sense". The point is usually that human beings and their delusions of grandeur (like your idea that "Europe is the only civilization that works") don't matter in the universe, which is true and horrifying.

Idiots want the ideal form of horror to be that "nothing makes sense", because that makes it easier for them to write without worrying about their own inadequate talents or efforts.

Did they say why they left? Did you ask?

No explanation. Couldn't reach them afterwards.

Was this an online game? People are flakes on them internets.

It was an irl game, that's why it's even worse.

Yeah no.

I'll just leave this here: radishmag.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/cosmic-horror/

That is alarming, but don't give up user. People who don't give you the courtesy of an explanation are usually terrible players anyway. In my experience, three players is the right number for DG; you're only one short. What was the scenario? How'd you approach it?

Lover in the Ice. Heard it's a decent intro, tried to run it as is, except skipped some parts the party and the second monster because we were low on time due to players taking a lot of time to discuss their plans.

There is a lot of sexual horror in Lover. Might turn some people away.

Yeah, but that doesn't explain the ones that left before it.

Let me guess. You asked them to make characters and they never finished?

I asked everyone to read the rulebook and show up.

Pro tip: Humans hate reading.

Players sometimes have inflated expectations, especially when they themselves don't GM. They may have wanted an engaging sales pitch from you that would demonstrate your quality as a GM before they committed their time.

The ride never ends, isn't it? I have to jump through so many hoops to get into a game, and turns out I have to do the same to run it too. Why even bother? I can just write shit and self-publish it.

It's tough, but being alone has other drawbacks. You're an ape, user, you were built for company.

>Oh dear. No. That sounds like /pol/'s wishful thinking.
>Lovecraft was a racist, that much is sad but true.
Why do you start an otherwise reasonable and factually accurate post with sentences that signal that you're full of shit? Is this some kind of meta-trolling?

As a side,
>Lovecraft respected science.
I'm not sure he respected organized university science, though. He certainly didn't often portray the folks from Arkham University as competent individuals with their shit together.

Do you think I can hide the fact that the campaign is a ripoff of Them! from my players until the big reveal? Also, would a 1950s Arizona sheriff's department be reasonably expected to have a medium machine gun?

What kind of medium machine gun are we talking?

Either an old Colt-Browning or an M1917

Both of those seem perfectly reasonable to me

You'd be surprised what can be found in evidence rooms. They are like IRL Green Boxes.

>paid for

Looks like you're the baka

>Also, would a 1950s Arizona sheriff's department be reasonably expected to have a medium machine gun?
>Goddamn Old Mr. Henderson was shooting coyotes with that fucking machine gun again, except this time he also managed to light up his neighbors dog! Had to take that thing away from him.

Bearing in mind that the same town has an early conspiracy theorist-type who has gotten his hands on an M3 Carbine (The image-amp shows the creepies), I guess it's not that far-fetched.

Yeah, the 40's would be before the legislation that would largely prevent someone from owning that type of stuff. Hell, the sheriff could be a WWII vet that just wanted his office to be ready for anything and had experience with one, so got one.

Child abuse.

Meant the 50's.

Did you update the scenario for the new DG rules or use the older CoC rule set? Either way how did the mass combat go?

lol

You have both the "legal" and illegal versions of the same org running around and working against each other as the young bucks move up in the legal version while the old guard wait for every thing to burn to the ground and get ready to pick it up.

I'd say the bigger issue is that the sanity loss would probably start an argument from your players. The rationale behind it is that it disproves free will but it doesn't, it merely indicates a future state where you pressed the button.

Medium machine gun? Probably not. A BAR or Thompson? Yes.

>Medium machine gun? Probably not. A BAR or Thompson? Yes.
These would be more likely, but it wouldn't be out of the question, given the time period. Hell, you could even do it today as, just frame it as from some dude who lost his FFL and was a collector.

It'd be more likely to turn up in the hands of a private citizen rather than the sheriff. If you're dead set on giving them a machine gun you're probably going to want to give them a M1941 Johnson if you want it portable, if not a M1919 Browning would be your choice.

Not the user who wants to run that, just discussing the feasibility.

Even taking the time period into account, machine guns weren't very common among law enforcement or private citizens.

Where are you guys finding these premade DG modules? I know Countdown had a few, right? An introduction module for the Hastur concept, among other things?

See, I had read that the Colorado Nat'l Guard and some private militias had Colt-Brownings, so I thought a Colt-Browning or 1917 making it's way into Law Enforcement hands after WWII or Korea wasn't improbable, especially considering how Bonnie and Clyde were taken down.