CYOA general

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Last thread:
>Pastebin: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu

How to make a (good) cyoa? One that people make builds for when it isn't oc any longer? One that people talk about?
Bonus question: how to make an urban fantasy cyoa?

Counter-question: Why are you asking me?

Look at the common things that the deplorable anons in these threads gravitate the most towards. Provide those things, but not just one of each. No, give them a decent amount of variety in each of those categories, and try to make them just as good. Bonus points for making it so that they are mutually exclusive things not just because of rules you put in, but from their nature in the first place.

As to how to make an urban fantasy CYOA... Well, you just do it.

You seem to care alot about what happens!
Soooo have people pick between immortality, getting a girlfriend and being a girl? And they can only get one?

>Look at the common things that the deplorable anons in these threads gravitate the most towards

Cute waifus?

Cute waifus that have hand holding as a fetish?

Looking for a CYOA with rows of Runes that give powers. The background is very purple. It's about some old shopkeeper giving you a tray and telling you to pick a few.

>Soooo have people pick between immortality, getting a girlfriend and being a girl

This reminds me of 5th grade English where you have to pick the odd one out.

No, I mean, have people pick between different types of immortality which are almost as good as the other but different. And the same for being a gild or getting a girlfriend and so on.

>You seem to care alot about what happens!
Whether or not I do doesn't mean I know how to make 'em any better than other anons.

Provide interesting choices. Make them specific and limited, rather than a generic option that won't engage the reader. "Teleportation" is generic enough that people will have already thought about using it; you're not providing anything new. Choosing between "Teleportation with a 10 yard range to anywhere you can see" and "Teleportation with no range limit between invisible marks that you can place on objects you touch with your hand" is more specific and limited, and gets the reader thinking about which one they'd like more as themselves. Which segues into...

Describe options in real terms. Everyone loves powers that they can imagine using in real life. That's especially true for an urban fantasy concept. For the same reason, you probably don't want to over emphasise combat powers. Everyone's had the "mugger jumps me and I waste them" fantasy, but most people don't think about getting mugged very often. Comfy options tend to get picked because they're nice to imagine, especially when you have enough choices to be awesome and comfy at the same time.

Embrace the fact that if you make a shitty CYOA no one will remember it. Shrug, and make another afterwards. The ones that people like stick around.

(Also, look at World of Darkness. The Disciplines section in any of the Vampire books does all of this. Interesting choices between a series of options with specific abilities and limitations, all described in real terms. Well, except for the combat powers. That's all quantified using in-game terms for obvious reasons.)

So how does this work? Do things need to be in water in order for you to make them decay?

OOOOOOOOH
And they still MUST pick between the three? Or they can both be an immortal girl with a girlfriend? Can some of the options have drawbacks or is that a no-no??
Which is the wrong one? I think you can be great! If you just believe in yourself!

Ethereal
Death

>And they still MUST pick between the three?
No. They must pick between immortality type 1, immortality type 2, immortality type 3, etc. Or whatever else you use instead of immortality.

Drawbacks are okay if you keep them reasonable. There's a bunch of things that trigger anons here disproportionately, like losing memory or having a girlfriend that has already seen a penis before.

>actually ever having a girlfriend that has already seen a penis before

>The ones that people like stick around.
And how to into making that?
Oh. I mean more like drawbacks for each option, like immortality 1 is "you don't age or can get injured/sick BUT you can't gain/lose weight or get more healthy because your body can't change". Like that balances it?

Oh but can't those guys just like not pick the option that makes them mad? I mean that's why there are more than one option?

Not everyone is 12 years old, user :^)

Sure. Just make sure they don't ruin the choice.

Nope. They absolutely cannot.

But that's not exactly a bad thing for you, since if five guys sperg over something constantly that just makes the CYOA more visible for the other fifty who wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Oh yeah, I know. Not everyone is a cuck either.

I guess we can't all have good things.

What software package do people use to make these images?

I think I know why cucks are such a meme. It's because they're a safe target for virgins. The only type of man that can't possibly be a cuck is a virgin.

Now you're just underestimating cucks.

Naw, I'm just going with the normal definition. Sure, the word is just as abused as autism around here lately, but it still has actual meaning if you want to look at it closer.

murderous

masochistic rune
juggernaut rune haste rune
caduceus rune

berserk armour

dragonslayer
berserk rune
BFG

alone

AI

I use Adobe Flash Professional CS5.5.

All of them.

You know what ruined /cyoag/?
Comfyfags.
You give them a CYOA about epic adventures, grand battles and overcoming of great difficulties. And what they do with it? They sit on their ass and do nothing, because its "comfy". They ask for waifus they didn't deserve, they ask for powers they won't fight with, they ask for drawbacks which won't hinder them in the slightest. They don't Choose Their Own Adventure. Doing fuck all isn't an adventure.

Are you telling me that virgin can't marry someone, and have their significant other cheat on them?

That's been around since forever though. The oldest real CYOA that I remember, pic related, from long before these threads were a thing, was already under fire with these complaints and some dude decided he wants to nerf the cave because of it.

Yes.

gimp and paint

>deserve

Nobody even deserves to exist in the first place.

Existence was a mistake.

Wow, so that means that if I'm a virgin, and I marry someone, they can't ever cheat on me? No matter what?

You just blew my mind.

Why do you even care?

Hey looking for a updated version of the universal war cyoa. Any user on here have one to post?

Go wild, user.

Isn't there supposed to be a "nothing" option?

I never even finished the game.

Nah, women are the most uninteresting thing in existence.

Yes

Silly fox.

So why isn't it in the CYOA?

Anyway, the actual answer depends on what exactly the "nature" of a man is suppose to be, right?

Naw, the real answer is "belief".

Don't bunch me up with those furries. I'm a proud attack helicopter-kin, not some soon-to-be-coat.

Because CYOA creator didn't add it. I didn't make it.

>Anyway, the actual answer depends on what exactly the "nature" of a man is suppose to be, right?

There is in game answer to that but its end game spoiler.

Silly ignorant fox.

I don't see that anywhere in there.

How come it's belief anyway? Is it explained in the game what the nature of man is?

Strange. That seems extremely childish.

It's belief because the game's universe runs on magic where belief is the only thing giving shape to anything. If enough people believe something, then the very heavens and hells can shift. If you convince someone he doesn't exist, then he stops existing.

I bet you're an Australian male, aren't you?

Here have an endgame quote on it. Obviously its huge spoiler:
If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I’ve seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me.

Nope.

>If you convince someone he doesn't exist, then he stops existing

Oh yeah. I remember that part.

So if someone believes in something hard enough, can they make it be so? Or is it all just in the numbers?

Stay here for a while, you haven't seen anything yet.

How will you fix it?

Oh, I got it. I bet you're some kind of giant spider pretending to be an Australian man. You can't trick me.

Burn it all to the ground.

Demon+Blood
Do 100% more damage in the beginning. You always heal as you hit the enemy. Your healing goes down as you get closer to finishing off the enemy, but whatever. Good build for survival.

Diamond+Ghost
Two attacks, both at 50% chance to critical. You do 100% damage normally. Of that, you have a 25% chance to 400% damage, 25% to do 350% damage, 25% chance to do 200% damage, and 25% chance of doing 150% damage. As is, this makes it more effective than Fire, which promises a 150% plus 75%, as you have a higher chance of doing more damage. Pretty much the one punch of Blades.

Frost+Poison
The ultimate crowd control. It's too obnoxious to do the probability table for this one, but pretty much you have a nice chance (greater than 1/2 chance) of when you hit to somehow slow down your enemy. Combine with that you have a constant 1/4 to paralyze, you could easily slay most enemies, as you'll dodge their attacks then completely paralyze them. Followed by lots of stabby stab.

No purpose swords:
>Thunder: 50% chance of doing 50% weapon damage. This basically means you're holding out for half your weapon damage. Fire is more useful.
> Death. The probability of this is insanely low. If you think this is high, go play a 40k game and try to get a 1 or 2 on your roll. That said, it's a 1/50. You have about the same chance of predicting what card you pulled out of a deck at random.
>Explosion: Even with crowd control, this requires that you kill an enemy first for it to be useful. It'd affect you anyway, making it a bigger danger than it's worth.
> Spikes: Since Blood only works on Hit, your spikes would not heal you. At best, you'd combine it with Fire so you reflect closer to 75% of a normal weapon damage onto the target. Even then, it's just not as effective as other things are.

Sucking feconded.

Is this about the Monster Hunter discussion from before about the guy who couldn't stand the culling but didn't want to buy his way out because of the (mediocre) cost?

It's by no means related specifically to the Monster Hunter debacle.

It's mostly just the people who can't accept that someone, somewhere could ever be stronger than them.

Okay, so how the fuck does this work? Do you get +5 defense only when iron mass is active? Is it a toggleable thing? Does it have a cooldown? Why is none of this explained?

>It's mostly just the people who can't accept that someone, somewhere could ever be stronger than them.
So? Why should I care about that?

People being buttblasted and posting in the thread blasts my butt and makes me want to post in the thread about it.

>he isn't the strongest

Tier 4 abilities are all toggle/activated. Including the stats you gain from them.

Fuck, you'd think that would be worth mentioning in the CYOA

It says in the legend that The gaining of more of these attributes are situational as specified.

Nullification, for example, is obviously temporary. It doesn't state the duration, or the cooldown, so you can easily assume that you can recast it the moment it goes down.

Congratulations, you're now immune to magic. How fucking imbalanced is that?

Also, overdrive totally fucks up your muscles. Don't have healing or someone willing to heal you? Good luck using it more than once.

No, I mean something like iron mass can be interpreted as both toggleable and activated, so I'm saying that it should be pointed out which one it is, or if it's both. Not sure I see the point in making it be both though.

The only way 25 Tribute can be "the majority" is by picking
>Ooze
>Arachnid/Tiger/Fox/Wolf
>Arachnid/Tiger/Fox/Wolf
That gives you 50 Tribute which means 25 (half) is not the majority.

Or if you choose terrains instead, by picking
>Plains/Coast/Forest
>Plains/Coast/Forest
Giving you only a measly 30 Tribute. But that's far too little to live on and it's fucking boring, so user wouldn't have picked this anyway.

tl;dr Whiny-user is filled to the brim with shit.

>How fucking imbalanced is that?
If you're autistically assuming the most unlikely scenario then yeah guess you got it in 1 bro

Unlikely? What are you talking about?

I refuse the offer.
Fighting for your life on death world everyday is pretty horrible compared to my comfy life on earth and rewards are rather mundane.

That it has no cost to put up/maintain and that there's absolutely nothing stopping you from chaining it constantly.

The reason why that's unlikely is because if there was no cost to having it up constantly there would be absolutely no reason to specify that it has a limited duration.

It says nothing about cooldown, so one can easily assume that it doesn't have a cooldown.

> How fucking imbalanced is that?
And that's why all regular people think "hmm, this probably has a long cooldown or a different way to balance it".

It's not the job of "regular" people to balance the CYOA.

>the description of a car says nothing about wheels, so one can only assume it has no wheels

I didn't know I could nullify magic with my will in real life.