To defeat a monster, must a man become a monster himself or reject the very notion of such and fight as the human he is?

To defeat a monster, must a man become a monster himself or reject the very notion of such and fight as the human he is?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c-OVfbwB7rg
youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs
youtube.com/watch?v=zT_vcm7eKIc&t=20s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

both can work so long you slay it

Neither. As per usual you'll find the fat part of the bell curve in between the extremes.

Man must craft himself tools of war mighty enough to slay even the greatest beast. If maker wanted us to fight bare-handed we would have given us sharp teeth and claws.

There's no coherent definition of "human" and "monster" that wouldn't either:
1) Make this a false dichotomy.
2) Argue against all human self-improvement from the stone age.
3) Argue that a significant portion of humanity is monsters in the real world.

If you're fine with #3 then whatever, but it's not really a philosophical discussion at that point so much as "X-opaths are bad," which, duh.

A man must stop acting like a wannabe philosopher faggot and get back killing monsters. Unless you plan to bore them to death, you're not really helping.

He needs to git gud

Yes, yes, we all think you're very smart, but he was talking about literal monsters. Like Draculas and shit.

How Can The Monsters Be Real, If The Humans Aren't Real?

Monster is just a buzzword to indicate species that you personally don't like.

I know.

If your definition of "human" is physical, then yes, becoming a dracula makes you a monster, but most of your ancestors and descendants also won't be "human" either.

If your definition of "human" is moral or mental, same.

If your definition of "human" is spiritual, then you're just passing the buck off to some numinous non-trait that you can ascribe all the positive traits of humanity, but only when you want to.

Yes, we are all stunned by your intellect. It does not change the fact that everyone else in the thread knew exactly what he meant without needing to wank about the exact definition of monster.

I prefer Monster as a catch all Buzzword for anything actively trying to eat or kill me...

And no you don't have to become them to beat them, just kill enough of them collect their bones and hides to make armor and weapons out of so you can fight them.

Humanity is state of mind not how you look

youtube.com/watch?v=c-OVfbwB7rg

youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs

youtube.com/watch?v=zT_vcm7eKIc&t=20s

What was "meant" was nonsensical, which is why you got different, mutually-exclusive responses: vs

Just fookin stab the cunt
Ya dinnae need te think aboot ae

Fucking Geralt

Or maybe we got different responses because human beings are individuals, and therefore have different opinions and comments when the same question is asked.

Both of those responses can stem from the same question. For instance, let us assume that the question is as is in the OP, and define monster as some manner of inhuman creature, with connotations towards it being evil.

is a perfectly valid response towards it.

is as such too, stating against the connotation.

They are "mutually exclusive", because the opinions of the answers are different.

tl; dr: you're a faggot.

Werent Witchers just caught up in bullshit stories and some rich guy getting pissed at them all?

Space marines are a different story

The question of space marines being human is debatable, though

yeah stab the dude on the middle of the fucking chestplate that will teach him!

Neither.

There is a point where one surpasses human. Kill a man, you're a murderer. Kill a city you're a butcher. Kill an army you're a hero. Kill a world you're a god.

I'm just passing through, but I LOVE when people refer to vampires as "Draculas".

It's my favorite. 100% love it. Keep doing it.

but Guts is just a man

Sure. The kindgom fills the paperwork and everything. Then you have to leave, because you aren't a person anymore and can be killed with no repercussions.

Hey, I just noticed the monsters attacking us are quite humanoid...

Nah, he just needs to git gud

Which one allows us to fuck the monster?

>"monstrous things are monstrous"
- Yui Lovecraft

Why become a monster?

Monsters are created beings, are they not? Man is a creator. Rather than become a monster, he should create a defender.

Are there no heroes left in man?

I don't think going crazy would make you more effective at eliminating a monster. Quite the opposite, actually.

Never become a monster to defeat one.

>Vivian James

Back to /v/ with you, swine. The abyss gazes also and it sees you're a faggot.

No
t. The Major

No, to fight monsters, you do not have to become one yourself. Monsters, by virtue, do not hunt monsters. Only man carries the proper righteousness in his heart, and the goodwill for others that is necessary to fight monsters.

But to kill humans, it is necessary to become a monster.

Monsters can be made to fear

Normally I just blow the shit out of them.

No? Monsters are overrated anyway.
>le losing your humanity meme
Nigga, you just become a dick when you behave like a dick, not a "monster".
>"but what if he becomes a vampire or some shit?"
Then you'll just be a human with superpowers and some quirks, you bitchass nigga.

>What is the measure of a man
Fuck that. Geralts mutations don't make him less than human, it's what's in the soil that counts.

>it's what's in the soil that counts.

Well put user. It all boils down to whether or not you shit your pants in the face of a monster.

Nah. When you get that far mentally, physically, and genetically from baseline human, you're something else. At heart, geralts is still human, with human vices and a human desire driving him to do good. Astartes don't have any of that.

To be fair to me, I'm drunk enough. That I consider one major typo a small victory

Well you don't need to become a dracula to kill a dracula, you just need a cross and a Peter Crushing.

So the answer is neither; man must become criminally underrated british actor to slay monsters

To defeat a monster, one must roll their eyes at all the pseudo-intellectual, mealy-mouthed philosophical bullshit other people will use to dissect your motives and actions, ignore all the hand-wringing stupidity of all the moralizing jackasses, and open fire.

Then, if a single magazine does not suffice, reload, and open fire again.

this

Niven please.

Such philosophical musings are for those who live in times of peace.
The only true thing that matters when slaying monsters is power.

Best in thread so far.

>he thinks that the methods different cultures have used to steel their soldiers minds against the rigors of slaying others is *insert nonsense*
user, what do you think boot camp is? It is the same as the thing you are disparaging, except shorter and far more likely to fail in it's actual job.

Peter Cushing is NOT criminally underrated!

show me on this doll where the educational elite proved you to be dumb

Self-righteousness, willful ignorance and moral indignation have always been the most constructive approaches to any conflict.