Have you done right by your players, your GM, and your fellow board members...

Have you done right by your players, your GM, and your fellow board members, and treated them with the same respect that our betters would have?

You're good people Veeky Forums, remember that. None of you are complete assholes, nor do you need to act like it. We're a bright, capable board that's done amazing things in the past, and will continue to do amazing things. I believe in you guys.

Good GM/Players thread?

One of my players goes out of his way to thank me for running the game after every single session. It's just a little thing, but it keeps me going when I look at my notes and feel like everything I've written is trash.

Thanks man, these threads really help.

I finally got one of my players off his phone and into the game! We tweaked his character's backstory and personality a bit, so now he's a lot more invested in the game and his Character!

So I'm really happy with my players. I'm storyteller for a changeling group, and I'm running a sandbox. Basically the entire concept I had was based off the idea what if you came out of the hedge and had no support group?

For those of you who don't know pcs in changelings are all survivors of kidnappings by extradimensional beings. Most get taken as adolescents or kids. They spend some time in a hellscape, and then they escape. Usually when they get back to our world the local group of other changelings help you get on your feet. Magical and political shinanigans then ensue.

My Idear was what If you had no support group? You would have few life skills, no social security number, nothing. So I ran a game where they came out, had nothing, and the local changeling community had devolved into gang warfare between different factions.

Basically it was pretty free form. I had things happening, but it was there choice whst to do and how to interact. I'm really happy with them cause they haven't just sat around waiting for me to point them at whst they need to do next. They aren't passive, they are actively making plans an doing things on their on. Pushing the game forward. And it's making me really happy.

Also, good for you op. Good for you. Not to tangent, but mayhap while we are here we could all discuss what we can do to contribute to the community?

I try, OP, I try. I sometimes, oftentimes, fail, but I try every session to treat my players right.

>what we can do to contribute to the community?
Make more content, be positive people, don't contribute to shitty negative threads. Be the person you want to see other people be in the community, basically.

On the subject of content. I've a question. If one wished to contribute content of a written nature, should one post only in the story thread? Is it acceptable to create a thread for the purpose of sharing a story? A rather large one you don't want to fill up the whole story thread with? I mean I think it would be better than most of the meme and bait threads we seem to get, but I don't want to be pretentious, and we do have a story thread for a reason.

OP here. The community needs the following:

1. More Users who play Games, instead of being Salty on here all the time. We need a better Game Finder Thread, one that isn't just a Roll20 Beg thread. Xmage, Cockatrice, Pretend you're Xyzzy, hell, even Chess. All that is Veeky Forums, so if nothing else, just start a stag game and get stuff going.

2. More Artists and Writers. We need more creative types that are more willing to take an idea on the fly and do something with it. All those old memes we made about Oinkbane or Love can Bloom? They were all perpetuated by OC being generated from it. I'm not saying we should try and make memes (we shouldn't) but we should have capable people who can make good threads better with their skills.

Create the thread. Generals kill creativity, and drown your OC with the crowd. You'll get more traffic in your own thread, forget the haters or whiners.

My and large I'd say I do right by people. Give em shit, but all in good humour.

I did legitimately have a go at another player last session, though. They've got the highest to hit by at least 2 despite being a lower level, do the most damage, and have the only +1 weapon in the party.

We got an amulet to show someone that gives a -1 to hit when carried (so can just be put down before combat), and they reckon I should have taken it as I have some save spells, despite having just spent an entire combat missing literally every spell I threw.

One of my Players is too busy to play, so we're having a big send off and w wrap-up to our current campaign in 5e Eberron. It's kind of bittersweet, but at the same time... It's kind of nice that we all agreed to put in the effort to complete the campaign for this one player's sake.

>More Users who play Games

This please. Actually, a regular CAH on Veeky Forums sounds awesome. maybe we could even create our own expansion pack.(He says in a Mr. Roger Thread)

>1. More Users who play Games, instead of being Salty on here all the time.
For my part, I play every two weeks. I just rarely greentext it, since it doesn't make for a great story. I think a lot of quiet users are like that. Only the shitty stories get screentime since all the stories about functional and effective groups aren't interesting.

>2. More Artists and Writers.
This is the real issue I think. Writefags and drawfags are important, and Veeky Forums just doesn't encourage it with our board culture. I am unsure how to fix this, honestly. Somehow get the trolls and fucksticks to stop harassing the artfags, since we need them to make Veeky Forums great again? I dunno.

I've a question. What gives the impression people don't play? I mean I get the hate on all the troll threads. Those are just obnoxious, but what evidence is there that people don't play? What I mean to say is, what are the diagnosable symptoms and how do they harm the board, so to speak. I mean I see a lot of people talking about how no one on tg plays, but I don't get where they get that from.

I agree with two. Personally I'm afraid to post because I'm sure I'll just get insulted and shut down. It really disincentivizes going to the effort to make something.

Only advice I could give there is just fucking do it anyway and ignore the haters. It is *crazy* hard to do, but new content is always gonna get hate. You've got to find a way to focus on the positive responses and ignore the hate, while also taking the fair criticisms as they come.

It's a terribly difficult balancing act. I don't envy content creators the challenge.

> I just rarely greentext it, since it doesn't make for a great story.

I think my campaign would make a decent story, but it wouldn't be interesting if you're not involved as much, and I'm a terrible writer.

We all do a weekly journal entry (Our DM bribes us with inspiration) and post them on Obsidian Portal, but that's more about expanding our characters reasonings and for our own files than anything else, I feel.

Ok, so you know all the hyper-focus that goes on how X is terrible, or Y is shit? Most of the time that's not the Autism everyone says it is. That's Boredom and Salt causing people who miss actually playing games to get frustrated and try and justify why they wouldn't enjoy gaming even if they could. The whole argument we had on the Interracial Gay Greek Power-couple Commander card? Why? It's not because Veeky Forums is Political, it's because it's something to argue about and waste away the time. Nobody really cares.

Agreed. Content is content. there will always be people here who appreciate it, so forget about those who hate it. We want to see you succeed, both here and in your games.

Oh, I thought of the other really big problem:

3. More Interesting Threads. We need more threads that ask interesting thought-provoking questions, not meme threads or hate threads or bait threads. Generals are fine, honestly, since you can get some good in depth discussion going in them sometimes, but meme/bait/hate threads need to be pushed off the board by threads with neat topics and good premises.

These are all solid examples of threads that are trying to be interesting. Maybe they didn't do a perfect job, but they tried dammit and we need to support this behavior.

One of my players recently dropped out of the game because he felt like the game was too on-rails and that the only place he felt like he could make meaningful choices was in combat.

I'm not actually sure what he's talking about because I improvised probably 90% of what's been happening for the past two levels. My notes consist of this sort of shit:
>get on boat to Fire Temple
>ship crew abducted by cultists
>go to cultist cave and rescue
>find treasure
>get back on ship
>go to Fire Temple
>research these two subjects
>find location of circle of stones
>refugees from other world arrive
>elf named Diodore is helping them and says they're being chased by soldiers who invaded that world
>let party decide how to handle refugees

It's a valid complaint if a campaign feels too much like it's on rails, but I have no idea how he got that impression from the way the game has been going. Maybe he thought I was doing that whole Quantum Orcs thing? I don't know. It's disheartening because he's a good player and a friend, but if he wants out, I won't force him. At least it frees up a spot for another player, I guess.

So... How do we do this. There should be a test. If your post hits these three points, then it fails the Veeky Forums Intital Quality Screening test.

Step 1: Is it a meme/bait/hate thread? If no, Step 2.
Step 2: Are you proposing something or asking a question? If yes, Step 3.
Step 3: Do you want an echo box or do you want honest opinions? If honest opinions, go ahead and post.

That's how I'd draw it up at first.

I am a bitter and spiteful cunt who hasn't played tabletop games in a year and a half, lost his social life, and I sincerely hate 85% of the people posting here. The most respect most any of you will get from me is that I'll give you a courtesy reach around after I'm done fucking your thread to death. Eat shit.

More like

1. Does it Ask a Question?
2. Can the Question be answered with a simple Yes or No?
3. Is there at least one more question that can be asked after the question has been answered?

I'm sad to hear that, friend. You need a friend or two. Why not try to get a few back? You've got to have some upside to you, everyone does.

Sounds fine to me. I'll keep this and make a note for using it when making threads.

user, would you like to play a game? I'm serious. MTG, CAH, Axis and Allies, Chess. There's plenty of quick games we could play online.

My job killed my hours. It's impossible.

What games did you play? Anything you'd like to discuss? You have time to post here, clearly you've got a good mind if you're into Veeky Forums stuff, you probably have a lot to add.

Online is always an option. If you're into Magic, Xmage an Cockatrice are programs that will let you play without having to buy cards, and you'll be able to find people to play games with whenever. There's also Play By Posts, as well as Quests.

Maybe you have two few set pieces?
For example, of course the player gets on the boat when the boat is the only notable object. Yes he would be free to go back where he came or randomly go in any cardinal direction but that would be pointless.
Or maybe he feels like things are happening according to script because you are not giving enough exposition or foreshadowing before developments happen. So it feels less like something that happens organically and has been, or could have been, influenced by him and more like a game event pops up because you have it on a list.
For example the portal, have you established that there is planar travel? Could the opening have been prevented?

They're actually right after the research and before finding the circle of stones, which happens in tomorrow's session.

That being said, I can kinda understand what he means, but I'm not sure why I should bother changing the game to fit the tastes of someone who isn't even in it anymore.

Try it his way once and see how your other players react. If it comes back ad "Really Great Session Today user" then you know it's something you could improve on, and invite him back. Otherwise, it's just him, and you're doing fine.

I see you kept your word from the Catachan thread user. Keep uot the good work.

As for me, I always try to make my players new things. For example, we were finishing an Only war campaign, I read Baneblade, had a blast, told my players about it, the loved it as well and we had the time of our life doing a tank campaign.

Them just saying thanks for session evertime, being bros on a general basis and having fun is all I can ask for.

They're happy? They had fun? I can be proud of myself.

My player (it's a one on one campaign) is always telling me how much he enjoys the campaign, the world I've made, all the NPCs I've created. Makes me feel kind of guilty, because I know I could be putting in a lot more work than I am. On the bright side, we decided to go on hiatus until after winter break and I've been giving it the attention it deserves. Hopefully the next arc will be something I can be proud of.
I'd love to storytime the campaign, if for no other reason than the fact that Spelljammer is criminally ignored. Unfortunately I'm pretty inexperienced as a GM and keep fucking up and having to retcon things which wouldn't go over well

I don't always prepare everything, but even when I do get 100 percent ready sometimes my players will still be stuck on their phones, help me tg

No Electronics Rule. Straight Up. If they can't handle that, Then ask them why they are here.

They'll whine, but deep down they know they shouldn't be on their phones.

This. If they Aren't able to respect you enough to put down their phones, then they don't respect you at all as a GM.

Make that clear to them.

Here is proof that we're at least doing some right by Mr. Rogers. Our hobbies are the way in which we choose to interact with others, and grow along with them. We should pursue our joys as much as we pursue our other goals, there's no discounting that.

Ok guys, I was wrong. Occasionally, meme threads are amusing, like this one: I'm pretty ok with the occasional joke thread on /tgt/. Everyone needs a solid laugh, right?

Yeah, besides, that one's a classic.

Thanks user, you're really a saint for this. Saw you in the Catachan thread and wanted to make sure you followed through. Have a bump.