Why is super strength the most commonly ignored/overlooked/countered/avoided superpower?

Why is super strength the most commonly ignored/overlooked/countered/avoided superpower?

Other urls found in this thread:

slatestarcodex.com/2015/06/02/and-i-show-you-how-deep-the-rabbit-hole-goes/
youtube.com/watch?v=8TFAGAyLzcg
youtube.com/watch?v=chegC8k707k
unsongbook.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>why is this thing always ignored, except when it isn't

Because super strength doesn't really ADD anything new into the human life. You've always had the ability to move and punch stuff. Suddenly being much better at it than physically possible is nice but gets boring when you realize that it doesn't add much in the way of anything else to your life.

Because people lack imagination.

slatestarcodex.com/2015/06/02/and-i-show-you-how-deep-the-rabbit-hole-goes/

Probably because it's the oldest - you hear about super-strong people in mythologies and thinks, it's gotten old in a very literal way

Also has a point

Here's what you can do with super strength:
>Punch through a lot of things
>Jump really far
>Lift a lot
>Hurt people
>Kill people easily
>Probably super durable as well
What you can't do:
>Feed the starving
>Raise someone above their socioeconomical status
>Help a blue-faced child from dying in front of their parents
>Invent anything that helps humanity
>Stop the reasons behind people committing crimes
>Surveillance
>Make the right choices
>Basically anything that could actually improve the lives of others beyond yourself and any immediate family/friends

>>Raise someone above their socioeconomical status

Just throw them at the castle

Because, while very fun and simple when taken at straight value, super strength raises a lot of questions if one tries to look too deep into it.

Source?

Maybe because it ends alot of situations really quickly.

Like how the 'big henchmen' in movies picks up the hero then just tosses him away, instead of crushing or choking him to death.

Uber

A comic about "What if Germany found eldritch archive just after D-Day and could now create supersoldiers ?"
At first, it's stormfront wank but then the tech slips to the Allies and the Soviets and it becomes both awesome and horrifying.

That comic is complete shit though, the scientist with the glasses has more plot armor than batman and all the asspulls needed to keep the nazis in the war are tiresome.

And then it continues being stormfront wank because everyone is an idiot and the Nazis have more science than anyone expected. I wish it were better, but for every neat panel there's a dozen of people being brutally murdered and yet are boring as fuck because it's all always the same thing.

The worst part is the Nazis at the start of the series were so far gone even a wonder weapon like this would be too little too late - Uber STARTS with Hitler putting the gun in his mouth, they were WEEKS away from surrender.

If you want my opinion, the Nazis should have lost before creating some resistance brigades commanded by the Battleships, and the story primarily focused on Operation Unthinkable as the Allies and Soviets go to war over the Uber production process.

10/10

KEK

I just used one of those lube tubes yesterday to lubricate the belt on my treadmill

So how is the $1,500 coat hanger?

That ending.

>Maybe the Internet can help. You Google “red pill advice”. The sites you get don’t seem to bear on your specific problem, exactly, but they are VERY FASCINATING. You learn lots of surprising things about gender roles that you didn’t know before. It seems that women like men who have BRUTE STRENGTH. This is relevant to your interests!
>You leave the bodybuilding circuit behind and start frequenting nightclubs, where you constantly boast of your BRUTE STRENGTH to PROVE HOW ALPHA YOU ARE. A lot of people seem kind of creeped out by a scrawny guy with no muscles going up to every woman he sees and boasting of his BRUTE STRENGTH, but the Internet tells you that is because they are BETA KEKOLD ORBITERS.

My laptop is covered in soup now

Well, yeah : if you want the comics to not end after a few issues, you have to give the Germans some handwave.

At the current issue, Germany is still fucked, though :

The Eastern front is on pause again but we know it's only until the soviets get their own ubermen production rolling.
Then the demographics will heavily weight against the Axe... unless the colonisation issues are getting in the way.

It's literally the most common superpower. It's more remarkable when a superhero/villain doesn't have at least peak human strength than when they do.

Writers just slapping all the people without any actual superpowers as 'Peak Human Physical Abilities' is super retarded. Doesn't matter if they don't even spend any time training from then on, "Peak Human".

Honestly they can't even conceive the kind of ridiculous state is implied by such a label, if anything it should be reserved for people like Captain America who have been physically modified through super science.

that applies to most common superpowers. What is the guy with laser eyes gonna do to stop a kid from choking? How does the ability to read people's minds feed the starving?

hell, what is a power that can do the things you listed? Super strength can
>Raise someone above their socioeconomical status(the person with the power)
>Surveillance(no one expects someone to be on the ceiling of the cathedral)

>Well, yeah : if you want the comics to not end after a few issues, you have to give the Germans some handwave.

What do you mean? I think it would be great if the Germans lost the war but continued on as scientists, resistance fighters or simple Ubers left without a war to fight, and the majority of conflict went on between the Allies and Soviets.

>What is the guy with laser eyes gonna do to stop a kid from choking
Perform emergency eye-laser-based surgery!

>How does the ability to read people's minds feed the starving?
Reallocation of wealth by stealing from the rich bank accounts and starting charities with no corruption due to mind-reading all charity workers?

good job creating a class of people dependent on you constantly stealing from the job creators. No way that'll end badly

>One night you’re in a bar drinking your sorrows away when a man comes up to your table. “Hey!” he says, “nice hair. Is it real? I’m the strongest person in the world.” He lifts your table over his head with one hand to demonstrate. You are immediately smitten by his BRUTE STRENGTH and ALPHA MALE BEHAVIOR. You must have him.
>You touch his arm. His eyes light up. “Come back to my place,” you say. “But don’t touch me.”

This is incredible.

Or you know, being a lawyer or interrogater.

The idea is nice but we would have basically the Red Skull and Hydra, then.

>Mind reading won't give you the ability to predict the actions of markets and pilfer the knowledge of experts without having to check if their advice is sincere or self-serving
>Mind reading won't make you personally rich
>Mind reading won't help you invest capital in capital starved regions any better than by just giving out free money

I'm disappointed in all of you.

>think "oh cool, it shows how things really can go"
>read black pill - "noice"
>notice [ACT 2]
>wut
>check sidescroller
>mfw no face
It might take a while.

mindreading isn't gonna make your investments any more likely to succeed. No one could have predicted Apple's success, so you'd most likely be able to get steady, acceptable growth unless you get lucky.

congrats, you've helped get the occasional criminal off the street that might have gotten away. The choking kid is still dead, you haven't invented anything, crime will still happen at the same rate, and people are still starving. You can do small bits to help the world, but one man can't change it, even with super powers

Read the mind of the kid and realize he is choking on a nacho?

It...REALLY depends on the scale of your powers. If you had access to say THE POWER COSMIC you could do alot to reshape a world and its people towards a greater state of perfection, because with such a source of power at your command you can pretty much do ANYTHING.

That was amazing

Oh, it wasn't that long...
>dat ending
lel

true, but I'm assuming it's a more game like power level. With omnipotence, obviously you can change the world. With the power to stick to walls or waterbend, you're not gonna be effecting the world in any meaningful way. Personally I prefer it like that, where superheroes aren't widely recognized and are trying to fix up their own little patch of the city

>mindreading isn't gonna make your investments any more likely to succeed. No one could have predicted Apple's success, so you'd most likely be able to get steady, acceptable growth unless you get lucky.

Outperforming the market in general is rarer and more luck dependent than you think. Being able to do so reliably by even a small margin is kind of a big deal. Mind reading couldn't predict an Apple, but it might predict any of numerous failures thereby reducing your risk.

Also there's the expertise factor. You pick up more from people you have frequent contact with than you think. Mindreading might be like drinking from the firehose in terms of your general knowledge base if you kept yourself in good company. Though I realize it could also make you dumber if you don't.

Well you would have to exclude supergeniuses too then, because the only reason they aren't revolutionizing society in comicsbooks with the super tech is because the writers are lazy/whine about how the setting wouldn't be "relatable" if things were too advanced.

Thank you for this masterpiece.

What are the most USEFUL superpowers then? Obviously discounting things like absolute material manipulation and such.

Also, what's with the tune of LUBE?

Time travel does spring to mind, although this open a few nasty doors and mindscrew.

>Something nasty happens. You go back, investigate how it happens and prevent it.
>You fail. You go back again
>And again. And again. And again...

>You don't know if what you did work on the long term
>You go FORWARD in time !!
>And then back.
>Forward.
>Back.
>Ect...

but wat if when you time travel you are really only visiting different realities

>feed the starving
but you can plow a few hundred acres in seconds (super strength=super sprints)
>raise someone above their socioeconomical status
what? Why? What power does this in any way?
I would save that child regardless of their color. And the Heimlich only requires regular strength anyway
>invent anything that helps humanity
I could toss probes into space for them though
>stop the reasons behind people committing crimes
mind control is a crime and good parenting isn't a super power
>surveillance
Doable as regular person, but when you catch your target fucking up you can punch them so hard they look like a homemade tattoo.
>Make the right choices
Not a power
>basically anything that can improve the lives of others
see the above.

the one thing that super strength really can't stop though, it can't stop you from being a faggot

True seeing.
The morally corrupt have an aura of red and the innocent blue. Most are so diluted as to not be worth noticing, but those who are spectacularly guilty or pious shine like a spotlight. Of course, nobody else can see this, so they just have to take it on your honor that you're telling the truth.

>Feed the starving
Knuckle sandwich ahoy.
Punch him up.
Punch the blue into red.
>Invent anything that helps humanity
Punch inventions into being smaller.
>Stop the reasons behind people committing crimes
Punch them.
>Surveillance
Punch everyone's eyes.
>Make the right choices
Punch anyone who says it's NOT THE RIGHT CHOICE
>Basically anything that could actually improve the lives of others beyond yourself and any immediate family/friends
Punch them until they're better.

Or, you know, it could continue to advance, and then we have the percolation of the technology through future wars like Vietnam and shit in the Middle East, as well as normal people developing 'practical' counters that would inevitably start cropping up once you have super-humans walking around.

Shit, the discussion of what would happen when the war ends would be more fascinating than then the discussion of WWII itself; you've got all these super-humans walking around, some of which don't need to be fed by the military anymore, what the hell are they going to do?

Wait how did blue die?

I thought blue was impervious to physical harm

Died from yellow's psychic attack.

9/10, Green was an idiot who could have provided an extra source of negetropy. Turn into GIANT CREATURE, harvest portion of body. Shrink back down to a microscopic size to replenish damage done to body, rinse repeat.

To anyone who thinks UNLIMITED STRENGTH would be useless in modern times, look no further than construction. Cranes capable of being put on top of skyscrapers are expensive, and time consuming to put into place. If all you needed was enough cable, and a roller to prevent the cable from getting damaged, you could do in minutes what takes hours to achieve. Yes, you'd need something strong enough to handle all the force your feet would be pushing down with, but that would be nothing compared to the get ups that modern cranes use.

Also you could, in theory, throw unmanned capsules into orbit. Cut the biggest cost in space travel right out the window.

Get sufficient heat absorbing gloves, and you could press coal into diamonds with just your hand for fun. Ruin the diamond monopoly for shits and giggles.

Honestly, anyone who thinks Super Strength would be useless just isn't thinking creatively. There's a ton of stuff that requires MASSIVE amounts of machine based muscle to perform. Sell yourself out to macro industrial projects, perform the task that generally requires specialty machines that need to be custom built for the task at hand for pennies on the dollar, and still walk away rich as fuck.

It's a power, that typically can't be abused. Super speed can be used to replicate super strength, and depending on how bullshit you can get. You can get super regeneration, and if you get to comic science, you can stop time and shit.

Telekineses can be used to replicate pratically every 'physical' power. Be able to create flames, cold, stop yourself from bleeding, pull yourself back together.

Telepathy can be used to control people's minds, become 'immortal' by having some bullshit, that when you die, your concious transfers to other people.

Super Toughness can effectively make you immortal, and immune to every type of effect.

Super strength can be used to hop far for temporary speed boosts, you can't really do much with it, aside from what it says.

Precognition, super-science, and mind control.

It's super, not unlimited strength.

If there's no fucking limit to your strength with the red pill then you wouldn't just win weightlifting contests.
You'd be able to do shit like swimming through the pacific ocean with three arm strokes, not with one just so you don't fly into space.
And flying into space wouldn't be a problem either, cause infinite force applied to the sparse hydrogen molecules in space would just bring you back.
You can't just tell me there's no limit to my strength and not let me exploit it, 0/10 i'm mad

This is why you've gotta be careful with One For All.

Back to the topic at hand, people have a hard time visualizing just what SUPERSTRENGTH implies.

Look at something like Luke Cage, Supergirl, Thor, etc. All these heroes have "super strength", but there's not much thought behind it beyond "they can punch things very far away from them" and "they can lift big things".

That's because the super strength is viewed as a "power" in the same way that a gun is viewed as a "weapon". You point it at something and pull the trigger, done.

Now look at something like Hulk, where rather than being a power, it's a transformation, with the strength radiating out of every part of their person. The way hulk moves, the way he fights, all of this translates to being over the top and it can look really cool.

Japanese animation is better at this, because they view superpowers as being more "training" than "weapons", so you see this kind of fluid, exciting movement with just about any character with superstrength.

youtube.com/watch?v=8TFAGAyLzcg

youtube.com/watch?v=chegC8k707k

Back in containment you

redpill me on why orange pill isn't the absolute best

I'd argue that black pill is best. You can literally do anything with it, in theory.

Think about it. Wanna achieve immortality? Look into the future and see the exact steps you'd need to take to achieve it within a month. Wanna gain the other pills' powers? Do the same. So long as it is possible, you should see it within your vision of the future.

Hell, even the mastery the orange pill provides is provided by the black pill. Just see the exact steps you need to take from the future, and you've effectively emulated perfect skill.

The entire chart seems to be pretty shit.

>You can teleport!
>but the universe is empty! Oh no!
What if I didn't want to go see the universe? Traveling is nice but it just completely ignores the practical benefits of being anywhere you want to be whenever you want. This is some super hero level shit and the author just handwaves it because 'muh existential crisis'. He does that with most of them.

Nothing is stopping Red from going full Team America in the Middle East just because he wants to, but somehow he just becomes obsessed with weights. Because being superman has no real practical purposes I guess.

The only one that's even decent is the mind reading one, and that still hinges on the ability to not just turn it off.

It's pretty much canonical that the black pill is the best since it virtually equals omniscience thanks to infinite iterations of your future selves.

I think it's more about how you need to think a little outside of the box to unlock the true potential of the pills and they might not be what you initially desired. I mean look at Pink, she figured her power was useless because she wanted to live out her romance fantasies or whatever but she turned into one of the most dangerous with the ability to instantly charm the most powerful and influential people. Same with Yellow who really regretted his decision even though his power was plenty useful.

To be fair, if I was Blue I'd be satisfied with just being the eternal witness of human history.

Man, if you liked that story you should really check out his novel. At least read the prologue and the first interlude for a great campaign setting. Reminds me of the God-Machine Chronicles:
unsongbook.com/

Doesn't taking the black pill more or less make you Kang the conqueror?

>Kang has no superhuman abilities, but is an extraordinary genius, an expert historical scholar, a master physicist (specializing in time-travel), engineer, and technician. Courtesy of 40th century technology, he has mastered combat and tactics, and is thoroughly versed in the principles of time travel.
Sounds more like the Orange pill in a universe where time travel is scientifically possible.

But wouldn't he have acquired all those abilities and knowledge by teaching his past self through omniscience?

Dunno, but picking it in a GURPS supers game where all the other players picked weird shit turned out to be super effective.

I played a dude with a Kamen Rider sorta motif whose armor absorbed damage and made him even stronger. The moment when someone flattens an AK-47 round against your helmet with no damage to you and your armor starts glowing like crazy they know they fucked up.

Then you snap their arm in three places as easily as most people shake hands and you get on with being awesome.

Seriously though, I actually think the underused trope in Veeky Forums might be becoming more of a badass the more of a beating you take. Thanks to saiyans and the like it shows up a lot in other media but rarely does a Veeky Forums character get to go "You left me at one health and you are REALLY gonna regret that."

Even if you know everything, at one point wouldn't you stop caring?

Like in that story, how in the world can he keep his motivation up for billions of years? Even if he knows the best route to go, he doesn't have to take it. At one point I'd probably stop caring what happened anymore.

>Even if you know everything, at one point wouldn't you stop caring?
I don't think I would, but I certainly would stop caring about acquiring more knowledge... which is like 90% of what I care about now.

So I'd probably focus a lot more on the other 10%. Family, friends and pussy.

I think you'd grow tired of that after a few thousand years.

So now there's 99.999999999999207% of your life remaining.

That's why Kang realises his mistakes and goes back in time to stop himself from doing dumb shit but he just ends up fighting himself anyway. Meanwhile another Kang shows up and tries to kill the other two Kang's.

well you don't really have time travel with the black pill. Not in the direct sense.

I heard you were all talking shit

Hence the "open a few nasty doors and mindscrew".

pic related

Kek

It's the one everyone in DC except Batman has.

Red, Blue Black and Grey pills are basically why Doctor Manhattan is the way he is.

Existential crisis on an multiversal scale.

If it fits those descriptors, it's not a super power.

>Feed the starving
You can plow a field real good.
Athletic scholarship gets you into college.

That's called a "government".

Underrated post

Because they use it wrong

>So how is the $1,500 coat hanger?

It's in our unheated detached garage and my runnerfag wife uses it pretty much every day in the winter.

Because when players hear "super strength" they often think "okay, every time I botch I am going to do massive collateral damage,' or even "okay, I'm strong enough to flick someone through a brick wall, I guess I can't live a normal life."

The problem I often see is the issue of finesse, not being always using maximum force.
The idea I like is that super strength being as strong as you need to do a task, not so strong that you will objectively overwhelm it.

Sometimes you need to tear a bank vault door off the hinges, sometimes you need to crack a wallnut.

Furthermore, if it affected EVERY muscle in the body, you'd be seeing some power overlap.

>if it affected EVERY muscle in the body

>Have super strong heart
>Turn blood drops into high velocity bullets with the enormous pressure

It's a bog standard superpower, and despite what people say, deep down everyone wants to be a super special snowflake

It gets shit on because nerds are jelly of Chads being able to bench lmao2pl8, so they associate super strength with Chad Thundercock.

>Space Ripper Stingy Eyes due to heart pumping shit out fast

>everything is super strong, including tendons, joints and bones
>become strong enough to flex faster than the speed of sound and use flexing as an AOE attack

>be strong enough that clapping will deafen people and cause a massive shockwave

>be strong enough to build a mobile house, pick it up, throw it and catch it before it lands

>rig up a turbine that gets powered the faster you squat
>power your house or a small town

>be strong enough to run faster than the speed of sound and react faster than anything else

>kegel muscles make you last for hours at a time

>insane immune system would keep you from getting sick ever

>jump good

Punchmaster, is that you?

>Punch them until they're better.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

it's easy mode
>uhhhhh... he's stronger, that's what makes him so special
>awesome, are you in 2nd grade or 3rd?

I feel like you didn't read the whole thing.

Maybe consider getting a new hobby?

Who's to say he didn't have brief gaps of a few millennia which he spent drunk off his ass or learning underwater basketweaving?

I think you people lack perspective.
If you're bored after a measly few million years, get a hobby. Spend maybe 10 kiloyears or so fishing and hiking everywhere. Build clocks, do experiments on evolution, wait until the final episode of Half-Life is released, etc.

There's enough shit to do and learn.
When you've done all that, invent something new.

You've finally got almost enough time.

>wait until the final episode of Half-Life is released
user, You and I both know that red's arms will fall off from overuse before that will happen

“As the current Pope, I suppose I would have to agree with that assessment,” says Orange. >“Though as the current UN Secretary General, I am disturbed by your fanatical religious literalism.”

Fucking lost it

This.

Premise is retarded though.

You don't say.

Amazing. 10/5