RPG idea

I'm bored.

Question: What if I made a smallish RPG using the graphics I own and mostly stock music.

Basically, just a parody/love letter of sorts to DnD-esque 90's RPG's (like Black Isles ones, for example.) Just something really ridiculous and off the wall.

In other words: If I made an RPG designed to be inherently kinda ridiculous, would y'all wanna play it?

I included a mock screenshot, just so you'd get what it'd look like.

The concept'd be fairly ridiculous. A whole guild that takes booty pictures of wild/dangerous beasts, instead of wolves, there'd be loosely indentified huskies, etc.

There'd also be an optional needs system with urination in it. Yes, that means outhouses in towns. The quests would also have (at least) 2 endings/ways of completion. I'd love to see how far I could get an RPG like that, hell, I'd love to even attempt to get it on Steam Greenlight.

What do you guys think? Any strong opinions?

sure, why not?
just don't rely too heavily on the "parody" thing, nobody likes that

Well... I dunno. I'd like to do something comedy related. A traditional comedy RPG would be fairly rare, y'know? At least, compared to serious ones. I kinda feel the market's saturated as it is, and I don't feel like there's much of a gap to fit in. I'd have to make something exceptional to do that with a serious RPG, and I don't have the time and the motivation to do that.

I really just want to create something fun, but ultimately not to be taken seriously. It'll probably go into parody territory, but I'll try not to go overboard.

In other words, people who've never played a traditional RPG probably would find it fun/amusing, but it's being developed from the perspective of someone who plays a lot of 90's RPG's, if that makes any sense.

Only input I could give is just avoid as much meta humor as possible. Try to write characters and dialogue so that the situations they get into is natural, without relying on references to outside sources that your characters wouldn't know. This, again, is a personal thing, but the moment I see a fantasy character quoting Monty Python's The Holy Grail, I immediately begin frowning in reaction.

Let your characters and their environment create the humor for you.

I actually like that.

I'll be honest, I'm quite torn on how to write it. Part of me wants it to be comedic, but still dignified. But, the cheap production value almost makes me wanna go towards something memier, if that makes any sense.

Ultimately, I just want to develop something purely for fun. Gratuitous development, essentially.

I won't lie, there would be meta-humour, and probably a decent amount of it. I'm trying to make something funny, but not necessarily immersive. That being said, I can also think of characters that I'd like to include and some of the adventures they could have.

I guess I'll ask this: I know you said that referencing Monty Python would be cheap, but would writing something similar to Monty Python and the Holy Grail be okay? Essentially, similar writing with its own references, I suppose.

I think the trouble with meming is that you have to either go all in or be very, very subtle with references.

When you try to pick the middle ground you alienate the people like myself and who just roll their eyes, but you also bore the people who actually laugh at that kind of stuff.

If you're going to meme I at least say you cater to a subtle niche. Don't go breaking out the really fucking obvious ones, Monty Python references (as much as I love them) are a dime a dozen. A Monty Python joke is the comedic equivalent of trying to give me $5 in 1923 Germany.

I think I really darkly remember a rpgmaker parody game that had a piss meter from back in the day.

Are you perhaps connected to that? Although it had a more rpgmaker standard choice of graphics I think.

Also something about these objects on the rpgmaker framework is inherently uncanny to me. I'm so used to the jrpg graphics in that context.

Sorry about the late reply, I had stuff to take care of.

Sadly, no. I've worked in RPG Maker for almost a decade, but none of my previous games got that much acclaim, with one or two exceptions.

If you saw some of the games I've made, you'd probably lose a lot of faith in me, to be frank.

I also agree that the gritty graphics are uncanny in RPG Maker's engine. That being said, it would make the game all the more humourous, I think.

I will love if someone made video game versions of old ad&d modules

>I think I really darkly remember a rpgmaker parody game that had a piss meter from back in the day.
... ... ... War Against Noobs?

I'm not aiming to create the next Undertale or the next Baldur's Gate. No. I'm aiming to create a fun experience with cheesy, maybe even funny writing.

Just a fun RPG experience that's both fun to develop and play.

If you want lots of dumb RPG content and really....interesting(?) side quests with lots of quirks, endings and solutions, I'd love to give you that.

If an user had enough balls to start making a loli kidnapping rpg with in depth pissing mechanics, then a parody rpg is pretty easy in to pull off.

Pissing mechanics, I can do.

I could totally have a combat attack which does more damage depending on how badly you need to piss.

By now I remember more clearly. It wasn't "War Against Noobs", the thing I was thinking about was a game that parodied the most well known games of the german rpgmaker2k community at the time. The piss meter was a jab at the blood meter of a vampire game or maybe even subgenre that was big back then.

Are those the high fantasy graphics from rmvxace?
Man those moving animations. I'm glad the updated version of those graphics from MV got a lot better

Yeah, they are.

Eh, I suppose it'd fit the style of the game. Like I said, I'm just trying to make something fun and kinda ridiculous.

I know its just for fun. I just think ad&d modules could be a cool source of things to adapt

Nah. It's fine. Just that it took me back. I switched over to RPG Maker MV and the guy that did those graphics released an updated version so I recognized it. Still, go for it bro. I'll play

i had kind of a high-concept idea for an rpg a while back, sorta like Earthbound or Off.

Basically, it'd present itself like a nicely polished Final Fantasy-like. Characters would, however, have a "fatigue" meter - the higher it is, the less effective you are - mages cast less powerful spells, fighters attack slower, rogues suck more at stealing, etc. There would also be a chance of the character just falling down unconscious if it maxes out.

Of course, you can camp, or otherwise sleep off your fatigue, as well as use certain items to mitigate fatigue gain/temporarily reduce fatigue. On the flip side, it's harder to rest to regain hp and such when fatigue is low.

The "high-concept" part is what happens after the first few times you sleep, shortly after meeting the main villain for the first time:

You dream.

Your "dream self" doesn't necessarily use your current equipment - instead, it uses the character's favourite equipment. If you just upgraded to a shiny new sword after using a less shiny sword for a significant time, there's a high chance the older sword will show up - but its stats will appear higher, as the character trusts that sword more, and believes in it more.

Dream areas are semi-randomly generated, different each time, and they typically model themselves after the area your character is asleep in, but can add elements from their whole life. Dream quests are mostly pointless fluff, but effective action in your dreams can grant buffs on waking up - sometimes granting permanent upgrades as the character deals with their issues.

Throughout the game, you have to balance sleep and waking adventures - too long awake and you crash without dreaming, too long asleep and you wake up groggy and sluggish for a bit.

The real twist comes 2/3 to 3/4 through the game - when the villain reveals they've been corrupting the dreamlands and tries to put everyone to sleep forever to rule them all.

(cont)

Those graphics are beautiful, but I'm broke, heh.

Thanks for the kind words. If y'all want, I can update you whenever I have the time to work on it. I might be able to get seriously working on it this summer, once I wrap up what I'm doing right now.

Thank y'all for the responses.

The final segment of the game is where it gets weird - you adventure entirely in the now-permanently-shaped dreamlands as you fight to destroy the villain from inside his own dreamscape.

The thing is, though, your equipment from the real world is gone - you gotta rely on stuff you found in dreamland, and even that is prone to changing.

tl;dr: standard final fantasy type rpg with fatigue meter segues into nightmarish hellscape of fear where you can't wake up.

Sounds pretty fun!

Could RPGmaker support something other than FF type games? Like maybe a domain building game? I'm more interested in gameplay/choices than storytelling.

I remember fiddling with it as a kid in the early 2000's, amazed it's still a thing.

Well, if you ever switch to MV I could hook you up my man. The graphics are really modular so you could go into more depth. You just have to put a little more effort.