/ffg/: Final Fantasy TCG General

/ffg/: Final Fantasy TCG General
>What is FFTCG?
Square-Enix finally got around to releasing their Japan only TCG outside of Japan, after tweaking it a bit.
It's basically half MTG, half Japanese TCG.

>Very Shitty Summary of Rules
Play cards by either discarding cards for 2 CP (Mana) or Dulling (tapping) Backups for 1 CP

Play Backups to have some effects and Dull them for CP
Play Forwards to be able to hit your opponent with them, your opponent can block with theirs
Play Summons to do stuff

Forwards are basically monsters, Backups are basically Artefacts (that all tap for mana), Summons are Instants.

Combat works pretty much the same as Magic, but instead of being able to mob-block, you mob-attack.

Any damage dealt to the player is 1. Take 7 damage and you lose.

We don't have comprehensive rules yet because reasons.

>Resources
'Rules': fftradingcardgame.com/en/page/how-to-play
Card Database: fftcgmognet.com/

>Topic for the thread
Who's playing, what elements are you using and why is Minwu such a dick?

K but r u an weeaboo? :^)

This isn't Vanguard or Yu-Gi-Oh m8o

I've wanted to try this out for a while, but none of my current gaming crew is into TCGs at all, so I haven't bothered to print any proxy cards.

I know I could probably find folks online, but my computer is a toaster and I am allergic to Java, so that limits my options.

Maybe I should just get a couple of starters and use the shininess to convince someone to play with me.

A Dark/Fire deck looks pretty appealing, so does a Light/Wind deck. I'd be tempted to do party decks by game (like Firion, Maria, Guy etc), but that's probably a bad idea.

I would have bought the shit out of this if it was an LCG. But it's nowhere near cheap enough or good enough to warrant dealing with TCG bullshit.

A FF LCG would be really cool. Mechanically, this game seems alright. Not quite as cool as the mechanic in Fire Emblem Cipher, though.

As for expense, as long as you aren't playing in tournaments you can always proxy cards.

BUTZ HAS ALL THE JOBS

This is amazing.

Why not just do an official version of Triple Triad, instead of an FF flavoured Yugioh/Magic

They made a Chocobo themed card game. I only play old Final Fantasy games, so the familiarity of characters in this game is appealing.

Bumping with Tifa's Tifas while I make up some decks.

Maybe some Euro folks play.

There's going to be a tournament near me in a few weeks so I'm planning on putting a deck together. I've got the FF7 starter to work with at least. I'm a Yuffie fan so I may work around that.

I was thinking about a Bartz and Chocobo deck, but I'm thinking they'd work very nicely with Yuffie.

If you are going to run Yuffie, you might as well get Zidane in there plus some Archers and Dancers to kill stuff [1]Yuffie and Zidane can't sneak past, maybe Maria too.

Are you going to go with Wind/Earth or Wind/Fire? Or something else?

Wind/Earth and Wind/Ice are both pretty functional and effective element setups.

Wind basically says "You're playing Zidane, Yuffie and Aerith", and the other elements pretty much just support that. Heck, Ice does a good amount of support too.

The 3 Cost Aerith is basically a free card in the right conditions since she untaps 3 backups, and she can make everything untargetable like Zidane.
Give Zidane and Yuffie a Chocobo to run with and then you have something that can't be blocked by anything big enough to survive.
Add any other element and you probably don't need the Chocobos, Ice will just Dull or Freeze anything that could block, so you can do a lot of damage with other cards too, using 1 Cost Snow means him attacking denies them a blocker, Squall and Laguna work nicely.

Earth just makes big things to sit there and block, Tama allows you to play a forward whenever you want, Serafie can, if you go first, be played for free, by discarding a card for her then returning that to hand, with your opponent having no cards to return to hand.

Also why the fuck is Ultimecia a Water card?
Time Mage is an Ice card, the core concept of Dulling and Freezing is an Ice gimmick, so why is she Water?
She's the only non-Ice card to Freeze.
Is it because she's so AoE that it effects your shit too?

>Earth just makes big things to sit there and block
Dark Knight Cecil is pretty nifty, if you hit him he zaps a Forward. If you have other Dark Knights out, they'll grow if your opponent somehow neutralizes Cecil causes you damage.
Kefka pumps and burns forwards, which is handy if you're running lots of low cost Forwards, which you'd be doing with a Yuffie/Chocobo deck.

Shantotto is like a reset button, but I haven't figured out exactly how I'd make use of that yet.

Serafie, I wouldn't put in a deck. How often are you going to play her on the first turn? Even with 3 copies, half the time your opponent is going first anyways.

Ice really does seem to go with everything.

>Dark Knight Cecil is pretty nifty, if you hit him he zaps a Forward.

If your opponent hits YOU he zaps a forward.

Yeah, my bad. But that is why I mentioned him, as he's Earth and isn't used to block.

I've no idea to be honest. I haven't looked through the set list enough to pick out anything.

Hopefully they come up with a more cohesive art direction over time.

>Hopefully they come up with a more cohesive art direction over time.
The card art is cutscene stills and character renders.
If you don't like the art now, you're not going to look forward to the future, where there's going to be more Amano artwork and even Theatrhythm renders.

Also and Britbongs going to the official tournament/sale thing on the 10th?