How do you like your post-apocalyptic games Veeky Forums?

How do you like your post-apocalyptic games Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4I9blXQEHyw
imgur.com/a/ODV3U
youtu.be/DhptnBUQxrE
youtube.com/watch?v=GaqjS_IvLpg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Like this

youtube.com/watch?v=4I9blXQEHyw

To happen after an apocalyse

I don't. The post-apocalypse is boring as shit after you realise it's a titanic map filled with inbreds and dungeons.

Bretty gud

All joking aside, Thundarr would be a metal as fuck setting.

Pretty sure I still have my sheet from the time I played the homebrew Thundarr RPG.

Post-post-apoc.

Apocalypse and subsequent mad max phase happened, but it's now a thing of the past. Remaining people are rebuilding , creating future among the decaying past.

Ooku: The Inner Chambers.

Ah, the classic Bethesda or Obsidian fallout schism.

Obsidian is better

Future apocalypse with mutants and shit. That way you get lasers, mutant powers and all sorts of awesomeness, but in a more primitive environment that's conducive to fantasy-style quests.

>classic Bethesda or Obsidian
>classic bethesda
>obsidian

>WTF am i reading?

>If Black Isle made Fallout 4

imgur.com/a/ODV3U

This is basically what my homebrew setting I'm trying to muddle through building essentially is.

Of course, my setting is fantasy apocalyptic, in that it's a former high fantasy mage-world that blew itself up (think if Eberron had invented fantasy nukes, or if the Mourning had covered the whole world), so I don't know if it properly counts as post-apocalyptic at all.

>"Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner."
youtu.be/DhptnBUQxrE

I think he's referred to the fact that fallout is supposedly a post-post-apocalyptic setting but bethesda just plays it like a normal post apocalyptic setting.

Bethesda a shit.
Obsidian having some of the old Interplay and Black Isle people working there is a massive boon.

With class struggle between the mutated and animal working class and the non-mutated human overclass, in a small empire just having invented the steam engine and integrated black powder cartridges.

mad max meets Krater like but with a few mutants, moderate weird level.
Also using rules of atomic highway because that shit is cash

I picked that version because it was the highest quality

It is? They do? First I heard of it. I really don't know what you guys are on about.

Interplay did the original Fallouts. They were classic post-apoc in theme inspired by games like Wasteland but with a googie aesthetic overlaid on top. There's no post-post in there.

Bzzt! Wrong: Fallout 2 is very much post-post-apoc, with the New California Republic very well established and running in the background. Hells, in that game, bottlecaps have even become worthless as currency because the NCR has grown to the point that it's not only printing its own currency, but all traders in the region will only accept it.

With schizo-tech, some better than ours, some clearly not.

Giant vehicles, airships, ancient doomsday devices, and semi-mechanical soldiers all pluses.

Really like pic related and 40k's admech (and most of the imperial side really) for that

You know, as much as the Hyborian Age is post apocalyptic, I don't think I've ever heard someone describe Conan as such before.

Mortal Engines really was the shit when I read it ten years ago

>post-post-apoc

If there's still anarchy, mutants, and a discrepancy between existing tech and current scientific knowledge, it's not properly "post-post-apoc".

A setting with functional federal governments, large scale agricultural projects, and intense debate over the merits of backed currency vs fiat currency isn't properly post apocalyptic either. The world is much closer to post-post than post, something not at all shown in the Bethesda games.

Mad Max, but extremely low magic. Sprinkle in some Borderlands and you have perfection.

Virus? Nukes? Climate change? Aliens? Zombies? Act of God?

Do you prefer light hearted or grim?

Do you want to spend your days struggling to survive or pulping mutants with karate and lasers?

Is it in a scifi world, modern tech, or back to the middle ages or beyond?

This needs to be a videogame.

Paradox?

I like them after the apocalypse

>Same shitty game, now isometric
WEW.

>How do you like your post-apocalyptic games Veeky Forums?

With a Western or Mad Max flair.

with a tone akin to that of New Vegas.

This setting is the SHIT. Everything I love about tanks, airships, and crazy pulp adventure done almost perfectly right.

I am verrrrrry cautiously excited for the film adaptation. Also terrified, but hey, that's the great flip that is Hollywood adaptations of my favorite novels. I just pray God it didn't go to 20th Fox, their track record is fucking terrible.

It is really too bad that the agricultural projects in New Vegas were so lame. Probably cut due to development crunches.

The currency debate between NCR and The Legion was pretty complicated. NCR used backed currency, it used to be backed by gold, at game time it was sort of backed by water. The Brotherhood pulled a Goldfinger on the NCR, IIRC,

The Legion just uses straight bullion. The coins are minted to verify their composition, but other than that, they are really just trading using gold and silver.

New Vegas was definitely a post-post-apoc setting. Like the Late Medieval Period in Europe. There were tonnes of places outside of state control, even "within" kingdoms. They lost a bunch of old Roman building techniques, medicinal knowledge, etc, but they had other things, like metallurgy and artistic techniques.

Most fantasy settings have areas of anarchy, with magical ruins and artifacts of a forgotten age. Are you saying that most settings are only post-apoc? I can agree with that.

>How do you like your post-apocalyptic games Veeky Forums?

I like my post-apocalyptic games set so far from the apocalyptic event that no one in the settings knows it happened, furthermore, civilization evolved to something completely different for some reason to the one that was in the past ie: past was modern world future is medieval fantasy.

My absolute guilty pleasure is to make the culture of the post-apocalyptic world be themed about things from the pre-apocalypse world but in completely twisted and silly ways from findings on ruins or stuff like that that the new dwellers of the world liked so much, misinterpreted, etc and integrated into their culture in their own twisted way.

Meanwhile everyone who isn't a jackass still uses caps and the NCR's script is fucking worthless.

though Caps are backed by water, so if NCR can get the water traders on board with script...

Bartering > nonsensical post-apocalypse "currency"

Caps are literally backed by a hard resource though, water.

it's just fucking Bethesda's fault for transplanting them from the region where they made sense - area's of commerce travelled by the California water traders - and just made it "lmao everyone uses bottle caps because it's so wacky!"

How can currency even be backed by water anyway? I can't into economics.

I have a $100 water dollar bill. No matter what, according to the government, I can walk up to the Water Window at the central bank, and exchange my $100 bill for 100 liters of water. The government is the one guaranteeing this exchange can happen, so they are the ones "backing" the currency.

Water is actually valuable. I need it to not die. So do other people. So we can trade using water as an exchange. But carrying around so much water, or gold, or whatever, is really tough. The government says, "let's make trading easier. This piece of paper is worth so much water. Trade with these IOUs instead of actual water, or gold, or whatever."

That, is backed or "Commodity" Money. In New Vegas, Caps are backed by water merchants in California.

You need to bottle water to transport it reliably.
Tha'ts one point.
Money used to be backed by something, as an insurance from the government, that the coin/bill WILL be exchanged for an equal amount in gold, or any other valuable material
US dollars are currently backed by faith, that 100$ is in fact worth 100$

Now having an insurance, that Merchants in the hub will exchange 1 bottlecap for a certain amount of water, gives the people an insurance, that they are free to trade using this currency and not getting scammed, because in a post-apocalypse you need water as the primary resource

Trade routes spread the idea of caps as money to the east coast. How fucking hard is that to accept?

This

I like my post-apoc games to descend into arguments over economics and people's relations to economics. I like all my games to be like this.

The most important question for any dungeon crawl is, "Where do they get their food?"

Yes.

The US dollar is currently backed by the "we'll find an excuse to invade your shitty country if you dare try to deal in oil in anything but dollars, we're fucking crazy we'll cut you bitch, you want to buy some treasury bonds?" principle.

More Mad Max 2, less Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

Fiat. Latin for "Never get between a junkie and his fix"

The US dollar is currently backed by nothing. It ended up like this because all the big countries went off the gold standard in WW2, while the US stayed on. In the aftermath, they backed their currency with our currency since the gold standard was still there.

Then the US went off the gold standard, and everyone just sorta went with it.

Either the 1970's Logan's Run / Fallout school of apocalypse where the technology of the past's future is laying about everywhere and it' pupy as shit or the "The Water Knife" or "Soft Apocalypse" apocalypse where it's a neo noir dystopia of massive class divisions and die offs as climate change destroys the world and only the rich can afford to survive it tucked away in futuristic arcologies

And your main objective in "Fallout" 3 is to destabilize the economy.
While in ""Fallout"" 4 They aren't backed by jackshit and water can by made by any retard with some scrap.

>The most important question for any dungeon crawl is, "Where do they get their food?"
Kill whatever managed to survive and thrive and eat it.

Eat whatever plant also managed to survive and thrive. Start agriculture systems with those very same plants.

Next please.

>How can currency even be backed by water anyway?
With caps? It's a literal measurement of how many bottles of water you can fill.

over-priced with conflicting lore

Good taste.

>the film adaptation
The what now?

Just looked it up, it's Universal, with Peter "I really didn't want to do the Hobbit" Jackson heading but not directly directing - it's one of his proteges

Um, not sure how I feel about this - I think it'll go either awesome or hugely tits up

I remember reading A Canticle for Leibowitz as a teenager and really loving it, but I tried re-reading it lately and it just didn't grab me. I thought it was deeply strange and uncomfortably moralizing. Maybe I should give it another go.

Post more pictures of civilization being taken over by nature. That's my fetish.

I don't think your chronology is accurate.

FDR de-backed the currency in '33, and many European countries had variously abandoned and re-took up gold standardization, but the Commonwealth had dropped the gold standard by about '31. It was really the Depression rather than the second world war which ended the gold standard.

I mean sure, Nixon was the one who ceased the tying of the US dollar to the value of gold by weight but that was a generation after WWII.

Whoa, my DM is currently working on a home brew that sounds almost identical that what you are describing. Mind sharing some details about your system so I can pass them along to him? He seems to be having trouble working out the balancing of the system and still having ideas to keep going

I like my post-apoc set in a world where modern (or somewhat futuristic-modern) technology is seen as mystical and mysterious. Where "sorcerers" and "wizards" are just guys who learned how to power and use a tablet. Where a great sage might just be a dude using "the archives of the great Oracle, Weekeepeeja", and tribes might fight over a box of divine food called "Chi-toes".

That shit is fantastic.

>If there's still anarchy, mutants, and a discrepancy between existing tech and current scientific knowledge, it's not properly "post-post-apoc".
Bullshit. We have anarchy in existence today. And even the discrepancy between tech and knowledge isn't what defines post-apoc, it's the lack of societal trappings and structure that defines it.

Post-apoc is a world where tribes are the norm rather than the exception, and "civilization" is a brutal lord exercising force upon a populous. It's a world where economies and infrastructure are a thing of the past/future. Generally it's pre-feudalistic, whereas post-post apoc usually has the feudalistic trappings that a fantasy setting might (in fact, many classic fantasy settings ARE post-post-apoc; Greyhawk, Ninth World, Blackmoor, Dying Earth, et cetera).

The most common inspiration for that shit is the feudal era that formed well after the fall of Rome. Post-apoc is right after the fall of Rome.

>FDR de-backed the currency in '33
Incorrect: FDR outlawed ownership of gold and gold certificates, but gold-backed dollars remained in circulation (there's a difference between gold certificates and dollars, even though they were both backed by gold).

Nixon was the one that ended gold-backing with the transition to a Fiat economy.

>I have a $100 water dollar bill. No matter what, according to the government, I can walk up to the Water Window at the central bank, and exchange my $100 bill for 100 liters of water. The government is the one guaranteeing this exchange can happen, so they are the ones "backing" the currency.
Actually, that is incorrect.

You're thinking of water certificates, which are essentially you handing water to the government, and the government handing you certificates which state they are holding that water for you. Then anyone (not just you) can bring those certificates in to reclaim that water.

Water dollars would be handled different because the state does not handle the reclaim. However, it does price-lock water to the value of the dollar, meaning that if the dollar is backed by a liter of water, then a dollar should buy you a liter of water from the store (perhaps slightly less, so they can make a profit).

There has long been a misconception that certificates and dollars were one and the same, but they aren't. Only certificates can be reclaimed for the resource they are backed by. Dollars cannot.

Any more like this? What's the sauce?

>Mortal Engines London
>Mortal Engines Manchester
I wonder if it's from Mortal Engines?

I like em Dark Souls.

A Canticle For Leibowitz method?

Sure, your bit about certificates=/=dollars, is correct, but it doesn't change how people use them. It fits USA history, with its explicit issuing differences, but not every country. At this point, I am going to assume you are American. Sue me. It doesn't help your point that certificates were issued using dollar denominations.

was asking how a currency can be backed by water. Bringing that there is a difference between dollars and certificates doesn't help. I was just saying dollars rather than x units of currency. Gold Certificates were used as currency in the USA, 1863–1933, anyways.

Plus, you got how certificates are redeemable wrong.

Certificates represent a claim to some volume of a commodity, but not ownership of any particular fungible commodity. There is nothing that prevented the government from taking in your deposit of 12 gold bricks, giving 4 of those to some other schmuck, and giving you your original 8 and 4 other bricks. Or any combination.

Yes, certificates are like bearer bonds, the only thing that matters is the holder of them. But they are not redeemable for any particular bit of gold, which you seemed to imply. Besides, you could totally buy stuff other than your gold deposits with gold certificates, back when they were currency. So what good is mentioning the difference between certificates and dollars?

While the USA was on the Gold Standard, they would say that a dollar is worth so much gold. They made Gold coins using that stated value. They printed certificates, that were redeemable for the specified value of gold. Sure, you could actually buy gold on the market with them. But the Fed's ran The Gold Window, which guaranteed the price. They ran the Window until Nixon. Which was after the US ended explicitly issuing Gold Certificates as currency.

Pic related. It is a 1928 Gold Certificate. It is also currency.

You used Commodity Money wrong, numbskull. I will take 5 beaver pelts as your payment.

>dessert_ship_1.jpg

Sounds delicious.

Complete with parallel timelines and monstrous divnes.

>It fits USA history, with its explicit issuing differences, but not every country.
True, but I was following the chain of discussion that referenced FDR and Nixon, which would technically be about the US' standard for currency, wouldn't it?

>It doesn't help your point that certificates were issued using dollar denominations.
I said that's how it worked, not that it was a good idea.

>But they are not redeemable for any particular bit of gold, which you seemed to imply.
No I didn't. The exact value of gold was always $20.67 per troy ounce. You got back that much, not necessarily the exact bars that you turned in.

In fact, you might not even get that much at most points in history. The whole reason we moved from the gold standard was that it was practically impossible to ensure that those certificates were redeemable while using those bars for various national trades. Other countries switched from the gold standard because economic crises caused people to try and withdraw their gold en masse, which collapsed national economies. That's why FDR outlawed gold ownership and certificates. He actually paused the Great Depression that way.

>They ran the Window until Nixon. Which was after the US ended explicitly issuing Gold Certificates as currency.
No, that's when the dollar was separated from gold backing. Gold certificates stopped being backed by gold in the FDR era. In fact, they were illegal to own until 1964. Nixon turned them into collectibles thereafter.

>Pic related. It is a 1928 Gold Certificate. It is also currency.
Of course. Only the early certificates around Civil War-era weren't. You actually had to sign your name on them.

Also note that gold certificates aren't the only certificates the US issued. There were also silver certificates and a few other weird things. All currency, but not all the same as the dollar. A country can have more than one currency.

I'm just using D&D 5e, is all. Plus a lot of homebrew - new races (ratfolk, decent kobolds, aranea), new subclasses (mostly wizard/sorcerer/warlock) - and some reskinning (forest gnomes as goblins, half-orcs as pure orcs). Don't know how much help I'd be.

youtube.com/watch?v=GaqjS_IvLpg

But why would the Brotherhood of Steel burger joint be staffed with a bunch of catgirls? Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but I thought they despised the mutant.

I remember reading that ages ago.

Shrike is still my favorite.

It's from a Veeky Forums homebrew way back about a setting where the whole world got flooded with chlorinated water (something about a chlorine meteor crashing into the icecaps). Humans then genetically engineer themselves into cat- and dogpeople because somehow that makes them better adapted? It was some pretty thinly masked furry shit, but I dig the sunny, upbeat waterworld aesthetic. A bit like Suisei no Gargantia too.

"Oh shit, the sea level is rising! What do we do!"
"We genetically engineer our children into cat people."
"B-but cats hate the water!"
"Exactly! Fuck our descendants, if we normal humans are going to die out let those assholes suffer!"

It's even worse. I'm re-reading the old threads. So algae in the water releases chlorine gas into the atmosphere, and so humans splice genes from other mammals into their DNA in order to breathe (or some shit).

Looks from the pic like it's just Waterworld with cute catgirls in bikinis. So very Veeky Forums.

Here's the system. It's a modded version of FATE set in this catgirl waterworld.