Liking medievel stasis fantasy settings

>Liking medievel stasis fantasy settings
>Not having your kings ride around in a pimp ass car

It's like you niggers don't appreciate that fine leather seating and air conditioning, listening to your radio station with your sword propped up in a special holder for it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pJWZlqLxiLg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

FF has always been good for pushing the boundaries of what 'fantasy' means and incorporating a lot of unusual or anachronistic elements. Probably the originator of the whole "magitek" and "airship" concepts, if not close to it.

Shame the game was shit, I really liked the idea of the setting.

Then again I said the same thing about FFXIII too

That car is beautiful.

FFXV's setting? Not so much. Games have been going off the reservation since FFVII.

Frankly I'm just tired of the same old mold of log houses and atypical stone castles where the only form of entertainment is a jester and people are poor, oppressed dirt farmers.

You can still have that stuff and throw in more modern looking things to get it a fresh coat of paint.

Walk into the seedy downtown area to go into a show where the lamp above the sign badly needs to be replaced. People live in shitty apartment buildings where the previous (or current) residents probably have a hole that leads to the sewers below because they are secretly cultist. And the tavern has a 60 inch flatscreen where you can have a beer and watch the gladiators fight it out with monsters. And then you find yourself on the couch because you went home with some half giant chick you hit up at said bar but are surprisingly okay with it because her couch is big and comfy owing to her size

>The Party's Ranger makes you go a few more miles to find his favorite diner because they allow their animal companions in the establishment.

OP i tried making a thread about a setting that is basically a 80s city (like vice city from gta) where people run around with medieval weapons and armour instead of guns, but it was dismissed by the bugworld faggots

Well all I can say to that is that those people can kindly sit on a dragon dildo. On second thought, scrap that, because they'd probably enjoy it.

I will never understand people who turn their nose at the chance of having a paladin with a motorcycle. Especially if your motorcycle can become your Paladin Mount and literally come into reality from whatever lawful good plane it is stored in all shiny and chrome.

Joustling on motorcicles is awesomesauce

>that feel when no warrior princess in gothic plate power armor wielding a .50 caliber machinegun lance
Medieval stasis can suck a dick.

>Tfw not being able to go see an punk rock orc band that's touring through your city

I'm fine so long as it some fantasy elements remain distinct and some fantastic and rule of cool tactics are useable by the PC, and not utterly crushed by real world practical squad tactics.

Can real world practical squad tactics hold under every circumstance? I think you would need them to help deal with the more "fantastic" things like giant monsters who could can regenerate or just be outright immune to normal damage so they are ripping through places that a normal human otherwise wouldn't go through.

So imagine you have your tacticool squad of swat team and suddenly a giant smashes through the wall and turns your point man into past with the cement on a stick he ripped out of the wall.

>Not running a game based around a team of swat members struggling to to take down abhuman targets
>Not having your players use tactics, chokepoints, and breaching maneuvers to gain the upper hand on over powered enemies

It's like you don't want to have fun.

On the contrary I do. I'm against the idea that those things would detract from the game. It's the same sort of reasoning that somehow guns kill the fantasy aspect or somehow will make the PCs overtake everyone else.

Imagine fighting against goblins trained like Special forces guys. That I want to see.

Assuming said opponents follow the same "real world" rules as your swat team players.

The biggest problem with medieval stasis for me is when everyone has a modern mindset despite living in a feudal society that hasn't changed for thousands of years.

I never understood how people can enjoy the same medieval crap

And the retarded fear of anachronism

Nigger it's fantasy

Fantasy

Impossible worlds come with the territory

My last setting had swashbuckling alchemists battling it out with a cybernetic T-rex owned by the generalissimo of not!white russia

>My last setting had swashbuckling alchemists battling it out with a cybernetic T-rex owned by the generalissimo of not!white russia

Have none of you niggers played Shadowrun?

Seriously if you are going to complain about medieval settings like a retard then stop playing D&D, or you know actually make a different setting.

youtube.com/watch?v=pJWZlqLxiLg
Knights
Mages
Weird Mech Siege Engines
Armored Cars
Trains
TV
Radio

My homebrew took heavy inspiration from this game, with the world experiencing a magical industrial revolution

Shadowrun is cyberpunk that tries to be different by throwing in elves, orcs, and dragons.

I want a setting where the King Dresses in a nice Italian looking suit flanked by bodyguards in Gothic plate power armor armed with machine guns and swords at their hips.

I want the Mercenary Captain to go into town and talk to the village armorer to talk about getting new electro muscles for his cyberleg and directing him to the town Chirugeon with a mortal and pestel on the table and healing vat hooked up to futuristic medical devices in the corner.

I want the PCs to make a quick buck hiring themselves out as guards for the village technician who has to fix the fiber-optic cables running to his village because some monsters lab experiment spider with human like intelligence figured out it's a good way to draw people out into the woods away from those guys wearing armor and the guns and exploding spear/pikes used to fight off monsters.

If I wanted Urban fantasy I'd read Twilight and Harry Dresden.

Shadowrun is just generic cybeepunk with some fantasy droppings scattered over it. It took them forever to even update the communications tech to modern day standards, and even then the SR playerbase raged because cellphones were not retro enough.

Shadowrun is okay-ish, but SR fanboys are subhuman trash.

>Harry Dresden
>Shadowrun
that's what I'd have offered
maybe dark heresy with a few tweaks

Medievel stasis settings are actually an endangered species. On the top of my head, only The Elder Scrolls seems to still cling onto it, while Warcraft, Eberron, Forgotten Realms (which used to be the posterboy for it), Planescape, even Game of Thrones appears to be allowing progress.

Maasai tribesmen using cellphones to coordinate cattle drives, Incas building a neolithic mountain empire, Ancient Greek pipe organs, and the Amish are proof enough to say "fuck medieval stasis"

Then write it. Complaining isn't contributing to shit. And taunting people that like medieval setting is also fucking stupid.

Shadowrun is pretty okay. Honestly I hated it just because the GM who always ran it actually wrote for the Catalyst and was very uncreative with the setting.

>Lost Odyssey
My fucking nigger

I wish I had the balls to tell my players that their desire for bog standard fantasy can go fuck itself

I think I prefer an alternate path of development, based on magic instead.

I want to play in this setting now OP.

It's not medieval stasis. They're just in the medieval period.

If I want pimp-ass cars, I'll go modern or cyberpunk, and give someone a customised Rolls Royce.
Because they have a special division of the company dedicated to doing whatever the fuck their customers want done.
> Limo chassis, wheelchair ramp?
Whatever you want, your holiness.
> Teak decking like my sailboat, and a champagne chiller
Of course, sir.
> Armour that can stop assault rifle fire, paint that matches the exact shade of pink of this exact handbag, a secure cubbyhole for my pack of little handbag dogs, and a dispenser for makeup in the centre seat?
Of course, sir. Would you like a full-length mirror in the back as well?

I tried that ages ago. Motorbikes are hard to deal with in DnD rules.

Which they would, if you wanted the players to have any fun at all.

I try and change it up a little to be more fantastic and postcyberpunk than 'everything sucks and you'll be poor forever' cyberpunk.
I play RPGs for ESCAPISM. I already LIVE in a fucking cyberpunk dystopia, working 5 days a week in a windowless metal and concrete box, told what to do by computer printouts handed to me by people whose job is to make the computer spit out printouts to give to me. I don't want that shit on friday night RPG night.

Captcha, that's not even a fucking ASCII character. It's a fucking pawprint. How am I meant to type that?

>>Not having your players use tactics, chokepoints, and breaching maneuvers to gain the upper hand on over powered enemies

Players are like herding cats. This "tacticool to win over fantasy" is a stale meme at this point and it's thinly veiled /pol/shit at worst.

>Which they would, if you wanted the players to have any fun at all.

Have you been on a GATE binge then?

>Nigger it's fantasy
>Fantasy
Just because it's fantasy doesn't mean it shouldn't be realistic.

Someone needs to repost that dumb shit about dragons and realism and wyverns.