Is a self-aware talking animal still an "animal"? What defines an animal in any setting?

Is a self-aware talking animal still an "animal"? What defines an animal in any setting?

>What defines an animal in any setting?
Intelligence score of 0 or 1.

Technically, yes it's still an animal, just like humans are technically animals.
In a setting where sapient beings have some kind of unique soul that base animals do not, then whether or not the raised animal is a person or beast would depend on if it has such a soul.
Otherwise it's pretty much dependant on whatever the in-game characters' opinions are.

Not being able to keep hand in the box.

By the ability for me to kill, skin and cook it before consumption without the slightest pang of guilt.

Humans are animals too, so I don't see why a talking rodent should escape that category.

Yes it's still an animal. Kingdom Animalia.

This. You're an animal. You're a primate with obligate bipedal anatomy, and with behavioural drives geared to complex social interaction.

Raccoons are procyonids.

How the fuck do you call an animal without the characteristic encisors of a rodent a rodent? Fucking seriously. Go outside.

>Intelligence score of 0
Wouldn't that be dead?
Also what does that make all the shit with 2 or 3 int? Like most animals.

In 3.PF animals are INT 1-2. 1 is for "dumb" animals - slow, complacent herbivores, reptiles, chickens. 2 is for dogs, horses, Corvid birds, things considered to be "smart" animals.

By "that category", I meant to refer to the category 'animals'. My bad user.

Multicellular, mobile, and lacking both cell walls and chloroplasts.

>Corvid birds
>tool usage
>language
>complex/multi-step problem solving
>recognition of faces
>recognition of self
>only 2 fukkin int
Fuck paizo.

At 3 int, the bird can read.

Bitch, don't be pedantic. If I knew enough to call them by taxon, I knew what they were capable of.

Then the bird should fukkin read. Even if it can't and I'd believe crows could learn to read then paizo should make their system not shit and have fully sapient creatures thrown in with a bunch of other dumb animals like horses and not make 3 int b able to read.
You entirely miss the point of the post which is weird since its clearly stated in the only non-greentext part of the post.

*This* is what made you realize PF was shit?

We're all animals, you fucking twat.

No but one more thing to add to the pile.

>tool usage

Not just tool use. Second order tool use. The New Caledonian Crow will make a tool whose only purpose is to make another tool. That's serious abstract thought that's beyond most primates.