What are some non existent system you wish were real? What's something you dream of playing?

What are some non existent system you wish were real? What's something you dream of playing?

>adult life

-A not-shitty Pokemon system.
-A starfighter sytem streamlined along the ideas of games like X-Wing Miniatures or Planes and Mercs.
-Monster Hunter.

A non class-based system with enough abilities available for me to make the kinds of characters I want to, but one that isn't too crunchy. I like to focus on getting immersed in the setting, not crunching numbers endlessly.

A fighting system that doesn't take an immense amount of time but is intricate and fun.

I honestly don't mind the time it takes but my players are always impatient fucks.

A system that can be completely explained in a single Veeky Forums thread

Multi-Setting system similar to GURPS but:
* Not nearly as complex
* Less Fatal

Yet not as Simple as BESM

I would say that Dark Heresy could kinda fit the bill if it were adapted to other settings like d20 has been. Except for the problem of the Lethal part.

Ive heard of some games that are gurps-like such as Mutants&Masterminds but from the looks of it they're also just as complex as gurps.

Also I dont like the mechanics of D6 games like shadowrun. Ones where you count # of successes (I find these to be too imprecise).

Not a fan of Percentile rolls either but a percentile roll might as well be a d20 roll with all the stats divided by 5, its a little too precise though as percentile.

These issues are what got me into making my own system, which im working on but may never get finished beyond something borderline playable which borrows skills/feature from other games to fill in the gaps.

> though I did kinda solve the problem of making up intricate special moves and attacks: buy packages of points for making a special thingie - and this also forces you to make the best of it since your points invested in it are handed to you

> kinda happened on a nice way of game balancing where everybody is kinda broken in their own way, sometimes with seemingly glaring advantages over others, but because of #Tactics you can still overcome mage-power-gaming or whatever. Higher level usually means more flexibility and ability to do some things you just cant do lower level, so tends to add fruits to your basket rather than give you bigger oranges.

> normal combat stats can be used for big things like ships or vehicles but they also have a macro damage/scratch system that can be used for straight hitpoint combat, balanced so that if you wanted to use normal combat stats the things you're damaging probably take just as much punishment to deal with

A crunch heavy system that isn't a complete and utter fucking mess.

This sounds fun. I want to try and make this. Thank you for the idea user.

I dont mind posting more ideas since ill probably not go anywhere and maybe DMs would like to use some of the ideas.

> damage roll is 1d20 + damage modifier, either that or replace the die with 1d6x3
> so a sword might do 1d20+10, dagger maybe 1d20+2,
> damage system like the stats are exponential so every + amount of something is like x2, im settling on every +4 means x2 Effectiveness.
> old system was going to use # of d10s dice code but they get averaged so it still applies, 50cal did 6D, rocket launcher direct hit did 10D

Damage vs Wounds comparison, if you take damage past soak value at all you get a wound. Every 6 damage extra you double the number of wounds inflicted.
> 8 wounds and you're in critical condition
> 12 wounds and you're dying (quick bleed out)
> 16+ wounds and you're dead instantly.

Can also be combined with a Stun track

Because of # of wounds being delivered per hit if you got alot of hits coming in that are crappy its still going to add up, so multi-shot attacks like machineguns or multiple shurikens are consolidated into a single damage roll.

> Fire/Acid/Freezing/Poison does Continuous damage and it usually tests every 3 rounds, with the first hit representing what you'd sustain for the first 3 rounds. Means those things can be pretty nasty but if tended to can be mitigated.
> Continous effects may just keep rerolling damage or effect, or they may increase it retroactively. This is better for the nastier stuff because if you get multiple hits it just extends the

Armor pretty much is straight DR because the 1d20 roll is pretty variable. Called shots and critical hits can get an AP advantage or threaten crippling.

> AP dots on weapons such as daggers, pickaxes, armor piercing bullets just ignore 3 Armor each.
> Bad penetration for weapons like shotguns doubles armor but only by +5 points per dot. So three dots would be double armor but above 15 its just -15dmg

Armor doesnt deflect/negate hits, DR handles that.

You've got to be incredibly careful with1d6x3 systems, a extra +1 can literally break the system.

(contd)

Hmm

Explosives also have staged radius zones, if it hits harder than a rocket it starts picking up extra radius areas. Multiplied on the track of 1, 2, 5, 10, etc. Every extra zone and for percussion weapons every 90 degree corner turned removes 30 damage.
> just dont try to avoid a nuke by hiding in a tunnel with 5 corners to it, if you're in the primary zone you're gonna take all of it

Skills
2 character points buys the skill, you get no skill bonus but it doesnt default and you can do more than straightforward stuff with it.
> full ranks cost 4 character points
> ranks give bonuses on the track of +3/+5/+7/+9 and so on so having just 1 rank is a big boon
> can only buy ranks on Even numbered character levels and only 1 each for each skill you have.

> Roll difficulities for Skills are usually Rank penalties. So if you got 3 ranks for +7 bonus a 3 rank penalty puts you at +0.

Ability Score is a straight modifier
0 means average
negative means a handicap and you suck somehow
bonus is what PCs are supposed to have
> Im thinking its gonna be on the range of up to 5 or 6 for starting characters

1d20 roll, you're rolling against difficulty 15, wanna get as high as possible. Fail by 5+ and its a fumble
> fumble often means you cant retry

Fail a skill check and you cannot throw math at it. Instead failure on skill checks means it takes X amount extra time or attempts.
> fail by at least 5 and you just cant do it at least until something serious changes about the issue (maybe the lock you're trying to pick rusts enough to just be hammered off)

not really
the 1d6x3 is in place of the 1d20 so the damage modifier is outside of the multiplier

Broadsword (1d6x3) + 10
Dagger (1d6x3) + 2

The idea is that there are NO multipliers except some carefully structured stuff like the Low Penetration modifier for armor.

Critical Hit damage if it would be applied would be like +10 points. Usually its "I hit an exposed spot, gets no DR"

Something with a decent set of rules for grappling.

(cont'd)

Ive got lined up a bunch of stuff you usually couldnt have in other games like Invincibility, Immortality, Regeneration, benig hard as hell to kill (cue Pirates/Carribean Undead).

But because everybody is kinda broken it means that the advantage those things have can usually be undermined some way.

Defeating someone doesnt mean actually killing them to get the XP, capturing people securely does it too (but trying to get it multiple times is gonna have diminishing returns). So invincible dude who cant be damaged killed gets tagged and bagged, falls down a well, job's done since hes negated.

Lich is immortal because of the phylactery, only get normal XP not the full XP including his immortality ability because he's not really dead. Kill the phylactery and you get the difference in XP.

Tactical Stuff:
Kinda generalized movement and opportunity attacks. Hard to get those and the movement is kinda arbitrary.

> simultaneous turns, there's only like 4 or 5 turn slots, ties usually go to the defender so if you really wanna stop a guy from lowering a portcullis you better be alot faster than him or have your actions held
> unless you got truly exclusive effects like pressing a detonator to blow up a bomb, or whoever is first to touch the golden idol, both parties still do their thing
> yes two guys can shoot or stab each other at the same time even if one guy dies from it, that shit happens in real life.

Size Stuff:
Pretty straightforward but size really does matter alot in my game (yeah I know how that sounds)

Every +2 Size is x2 Height. So its a little more precise than normal.

Tends to provide a straight bonus or penalty to hit the target, along with straight size-related bonuses to stats (since this is an exponential system).

Damage Soak is where the hit points are. More damage soak you have, the less damage you'll take, may not even take damage.

But critters can have natural armor DR too.

One where you play as monster adventurers.

FATE?
Not crunchy enough? gotta hit your crunch goldilocks zone?

diceless but still fun

>A non class-based system with enough abilities available for me to make the kinds of characters I want to, but one that isn't too crunchy.
>Multi-Setting system similar to GURPS but:
>* Not nearly as complex
Ok, I'm going to be that guy: GURPS isn't that complex, and it isn't really even that crunchy.
The system itself is rock simple: Roll 3d6 vs. your stat. < or = succeeds on whatever you were trying to do.
Yes, there's tons of options there, but you don't really need most of them. Just a few skills, buy your attributes, and you have your simple game. If you need hit locations in your life, you can add those as needed.

When people say that GURPS is complex, I think what they really mean is that it's inconvenient. The basic set is pretty horribly organized, and there's not enough prebuilt supplements at all, but GURPS is absolutely NOT a complex game.

(contd)

Granted Mages and specials characters have alot of advantage but their abilities are staged a little differently than they are in other rpgs.

Like out of 8 spell levels you may not get physically effecting stuff till 2nd spell level. May not get the really awesome crap until 5th spell level.

But the lower level stuff has more basic practical effects that don't become irrelevant.

> Legolas shoots him in the eye, he's done, stick a fork in him

Kinda works like that, everybody else has awesome shit they can exploit. Barbarians or what-have-you may even get supernatural benefits all their own. Magic resistance is a thing.

Fight smarter not harder. If the Evil Mage is a badass and is known for destroying entire armies you dont fight him on his home turf, and you do your research.

No matter what you're focus is, as long as you know what you're doing and you're of a comparable level, you can take this guy out if you plan your strike effectively.

> t. darth sidious takes out the entire jedi order with bullshit clone troopers because he knows if he can set up a firing squad for each one they cant stop all of it.

Other than that I went with 7 Stats and
> I Got Rid of Charisma

Instead I wanted to open the door to social disabilities like autism or having multiple stages of social perks that give you +Bonus on Social Tests

Social stuff goes off of Power, Intelligence, or Cunning depending on what the issue is.

Beyond that if the character has any benefits or problems with social stuff they get a modifier tacked on.

> also makes it possible to give +Bonus on some kinds of social tests and not others.

I really dont like "roll under" systems. The same mechanics can be duplicated by giving a static difficulty and adding the stat to the roll.

Static difficulty would be average ability score + average dice roll. So if 3d6 and standard ability is 10

Difficulty 20 - roll high or die

Same goes for THAC0 and AC in d&d 2nd ed

>I really dont like "roll over" systems. The same mechanics can be duplicated by giving an unchanging statistic and comparing the roll to the stat

>I really dont like "roll under" systems. The same mechanics can be duplicated by giving a static difficulty and adding the stat to the roll.
Yeeeeeeeeees?
Not really sure I see your point here. Arguably roll under is easier, because there's less math involved.

>Same goes for THAC0 and AC in d&d 2nd ed
Oh fuck off

(contd)

Getting rid of Charisma was something I did recently and I am smug as shit about it.

Now nobody can use it as a dump stat because its not there.

Though technically the Power stat is kinda like that, sorta like how its used in d&d for some spellcastors.

But Power also affects Sanity and Willpower so if you dump on Power you're "a small man who is weak"

Dump on Intelligence and the DM is gonna be saying "nope you cant do that, thats a pretty smart tactic and I just dont think your character has the brains for it"

Cunning is used for half of your combat rolls, Awareness is used for the other half... and Agility affects how many actions (action points) you get to do stuff.

dump any of those and you're hurting combat.

Dump on Strength and that works against your melee damage bonus ... armor and damage soak deduct damage as core mechanics

> and even if you're an Archer or Marksman with a bow or gun and dont care about punching people, it affects Carrying Capacity and that affects what kinda Armor you can wear too

> if everybody dumps on Strength then nobody has the muscle to Haul all the good shit you're gonna find, would have to make up for it with arranging for transportation

> Somebody's gotta be strong enough to preform strength tests, otherwise heavy shit isnt moving out of the way.

And Fortitude == Constitution, nobody wants to dump that.

This is true but, I find that most people find it easier to Add to things rather than Subtract them.

In a way my system is sorta like a roll-under with a fixed difficulty. Penalties add to the difficulty, Bonuses add to the player's roll.

> so either way its using Addition not Subtraction.

By doing this it also has the advantage that Penalties can be kept hidden since as far as you know its Difficulty 15 standard.

Obvious penalties will increase it publicly, but the DM can easily add to it.

> keeping secret knowledge actually secret makes metagaming harder, game is more suspenseful

>This is true but, I find that most people find it easier to Add to things rather than Subtract them.

In your experience, do you play a lot with gamers that are inbetween their first and second lessons of 1st grade?

I'd kill for a good Dragon Quest system. I love the setting, the monsters, and the level progression. The world is just so cozy and fun to explore.

A narrativist system with very high lethality, suitable for running hard sci-fi or OPERATORS or something. You know, feels simulationist, runs narrativist.