You've just fired a Neutron Laser at a planet, does it destroy the planet, the mountain or a small area of dirt?

You've just fired a Neutron Laser at a planet, does it destroy the planet, the mountain or a small area of dirt?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ql6TKCo2SZQ
lanl.gov/discover/news-release-archive/2013/June/06.04-laser-driven-neutrons.php
half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Gluon_Gun
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exotic_atom
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_radiation
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Trick question, the planet IS a small area of dirt. Next question.

>Neutron Laser
Laser is light is pure energy.
Neutrons are matter.
What exactly are you shooting?

Well, Neutrons are particles. Lasers are light, and made of photons. Photons and light exhibit properties of both energy waves and particles.

So is it possible this Dark Age weapon causes Neutrons to behave like particle AND wave, essentially turning it into what is essentially Neutron light, and focusing it into a Neutron Laser?

The answer then would be that you're shooting Neutrons that are behaving pretty fucking exotically but are otherwise unremarkable.

All particles are waves and all waves are particles already. It's just that most objects have very very low wavelengths.

So then how would that work? It excited neutrons into a... Plasma with a very high wavelengths or something? And then shoots it forward like a laser?

How do you suspect it might work in principle?

I don't really care, it's just hand-wavy 40k bullshit as usual.

True enough, but it's fun to speculate.

It's also fun to draw pictures of their effects.

>>So then how would that work?
youtube.com/watch?v=ql6TKCo2SZQ

Assuming that it's a ray of neutrons all with the same wavelength, then it depends on the wavelength.
Very likely it would be the same effect as the radiation of a neutron bomb, which means everyone who got hit would die.

It makes a pretty lightshow in the sky.
Nothing any kind of practical energy weapon can do hasn't already been done by the parent star.

What so your saying stars with a single zip can turn an entire planet into a massive explosion.

Planets don't really explode. But they can be ripped apart.

> Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

Lasers work by exciting electrons to stimulate emission of photons as a coherent beam. You cannot do that to emit neutrons, the physics just isn't the same.

Anything can be made to explode if you put enough energy into it. That being said blowing up a planet is tremendously inefficient, if you want to kill everything on it then just glassing the surface is way less effort.

You haven't fired a laser, you've fired a particle beam gun.

What happens is you wreck a small amount of dirt and release a massive burst of hard radiation at the target point as you pretty much just shatter the atoms you struck, leaving everyone in the vicinity suffering from 6th degree radiation burns and a radiation poisoning level that will prove most likely fatal if the survived being turned into literal slag.

What's goingto be next? A quark laser? Electroweak bomb? Gluon cannon? Meson accelerator? Graviton pistol? Quantum Singularity ray?

>Graviton pistol?
I take it you haven't heard of BLAME!

Tau laser.

>What exactly are you shooting?

Neutrons via a laser beam?
lanl.gov/discover/news-release-archive/2013/June/06.04-laser-driven-neutrons.php

>Gluon cannon?

He also hasn't played Half-Life.

To be fair its boring

I thought that was a zero-point energy thing.

What if you fired a Jimmy Neutron Laser at a planet. Would you get a bunch of memes or just a forgettable movie?

>"How to be wrong on the internet." the post

half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Gluon_Gun

So you can probe for and interdict nuclear material. Whoop de doo, that's nothing worth making a cannon out of.

Unless you want to scan solar systems for valuable resources for your ship.

What do they call atom-like structures that can be formed by more exotic or short-lived particles? Coild we make a weapon from it or some useful material?

We also haven't perfected fusion bombs, plasma cannons, reality tearing vortices nor orbital laser batteries, but you don't seem to have any problem with those, now do you?

Point is that it's technology involving neutrons and lasers, just like the cannon in OP.

>What do they call atom-like structures that can be formed by more exotic or short-lived particles?
Theoretical.

>But you don't seem to have any problem with those, now do you?
At least a couple of those are theoretically plausible as weapons instead of being neat science tools if we can produce enough energy for them and make their mechanics efficient enough to be field repaired when they inevitably break. Those ones I'm fine with.

This is, to my understanding, not going to get weaponized because it wouldn't provide any benefit over systems which would already be in place by the point weaponization would even be possible.

Nigger what did you say?

Their actually very real but unstable/short-lived. I think that one is already being used to catalyze fusion.

Look out hes got a theoretical-gun!

Ever heard of a neutron bomb?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exotic_atom

If you have the technology to do that, you have the technology to fire a tiny slug of osmium near the speed of light.

Want to see some shit? Take the most dense element known, and fire it at ridiculously high speed. Kinetic energy is a bitch.

Most dense naturally occuring element known. There are others that aren't naturally occuring.

A neutron weapon would be a particle cannon, not a laser.

Neutrons are not effected by electromagnetic fields like electrons and protons, but they're small and light, which means they're extremely easy to scatter.

We can't really answer your question without knowing the size of the target world, the nature of its atmosphere, and the energy the cannon puts out. But assuming an earth-like world and typical Sci if output, the beam is scattered harmlessly in the upper atmosphere.

Not the same as what the link is describing.

>Kinetic energy is a bitch.
Yes, but it also costs energy. To explain it in a formula: E=E
When you are a high-tech civ, you would probably go for more efficient methods.

>not using neutron stars as bullets.

>effected
*affected

Point is, that neutrons carried by laser is a thing, and neutrons do have properties that make them viable for military use. So bitching about it "that don't make no sense" is stupid.

You really thought I had a link handy to a real life neutron laser weapon? Do you have a link to an orbital plasma cannon or a vortex grenade? Because if not, stop being obtuse.

So its damage is too handwavy bullshit and Op question is retarded.

>Point is, that neutrons carried by laser is a thing, and neutrons do have properties that make them viable for military use.
Yes. It's like saying, religion is a way to do science, because religion requires the use of the brain, and so does science.
The fact that religion and science use the brain in very different ways and accomplish very different things means that ultimately, they are not really the same.
Now stop being silly.

I have a feeling that firing something at the speed of light in atmosphere wouldn't have very good effects. I mean, even a little rock hurling through the air at thousands of miles per hour puts on an impressive show.

Still waiting for those links to real life plasma cannon batteries and warp bombs, autismo.

I'm not the guy who proposed those. I'm just pointing out that your way of arguing is completely flawed.

Neutron Laser... So you mean neutron blaster? How do you accelerate neutron plasma? I don't perosonally know. Also the destruction is limited by the energy you can accelerate the mass with. But in principle it is just same kind of damage as particle radiation would do.

There was an incident where a single proton reached Earth a5 such speed that it had the kinetic energy equivalent of a baseball ball. It was travelling so close to C that it would take a photon a thousand years to gain any distances. At this energy levels, even the background Cosmic radiation slows you down.

How so? None of us go full autismotron over plasma guns, fusion blasters, conversion beamers, gauss flayers, etc. But propose that you have a laser that also fires neutrons (which is a thing, even if not used as a weapon) and somebody just has to sperg out how it's not realistic enough for their taste.

A primordial black hole wouldnt even notice that Earth is here. It would go from one point of the planet to the other side leaving a trail of radiation.

>How so?
Reread .
>None of us go full autismotron over plasma guns, fusion blasters, conversion beamers, gauss flayers, etc.
I possibly might if I ever bothered to figure out what exactly they do/are supposed to do. I don't usually care very much for far-future settings, so I haven't gotten around to it. But that others are not being criticized is not a defense for your proposal. It just means that somebody ought to speak up about other nonsensical designs (or remain quiet, in the name of just having fun and keep science away from the game table)
>But propose that you have a laser that also fires neutrons
And propose we know what it does.
Then somebody saying that it isn't a weapon is completely correct, if not necessarily in the spirit of things.

My favorite example is Berserk. To read that manga you have to accept that Guts swings something around that is downright silly. Accept it or leave.
But the moment the physics of the manga (or the "sword") are being discussed, bringing up the silliness of it all is fair game. We are currently talking about the possible effects of such a cannon. Physics says: It doesn't do a whole lot, and thus that is the answer.

>Reread

That doesn't answer a damn thing. user was bitching about neutron lasers not being a thing and when shown that the concept of lasers driving neutrons does exist, the goalpost was shifted to "yeah, well, they don't use it as an anti-tank weapon in the real world, so it's stupid."

>Physics says: It doesn't do a whole lot, and thus that is the answer.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_radiation

I guess ionizing radiation is not a problem then.

>That doesn't answer a damn thing.
But it does.
The thing with lasers is, they go one way.
The thing with your neutron laser is, it takes a prohibitively high amount of energy to be fired.
A neutron bomb isn't about aiming at a target smaller than a human hair. A neutron bomb fucks up your entire fucking body.
If you want to hit everybody in the room (or just a significant amount of atoms in the body of a single person, you are not going to use a laser.

Do you understand now?
Different things, accomplished through different means, but coincidentally both with neutrons.
Not the same.

Are you seriously this fucking autistic?

Neutron radiation is dangerous. Neutrons bombs are a military application of neutrons. Lasers can be used to carry neutrons. So, you have A) lasers being able to direct neutrons to a target, and B) neutrons having a use as a weapon.

Do I need to draw you a fucking chart about the possible military uses for a neutron laser?

>neuron laser
it doesnt do anything. it passes right through the entire planet.
they are neutrons, they dont interact with shit

Some sort of laser-confined particle beam, presumably. Like a laser-induced plasma channel, only wildly more powerful.

Overcomplicating things. You're more likely just bombarding the target with what amounts to a trackless particle accelerator.

>Neutrons bombs are a military application of neutrons.
Right. The things that send off LOTS and LOTS of neutrons in all directions.
>A) lasers being able to direct neutrons to a target,
Lasers have the capacity to direct anything to a target. You know why we usually don't employ them? Because they are so fucking inefficient at it.
They are interesting for spaceships though, for long-term low acceleration.
>Do I need to draw you a fucking chart about the possible military uses for a neutron laser?
Yes please.
And point out where they make actual sense, given the energy requirement to transport enough neutrons to the target.

Neutrons != neutrinos.

How about a laser that shots Dark Photons?

How can they be dark when you are pointing a light beam at them?

We're talking about a setting with FTL and useful, man-portable, man-killing laser weapons. Efficiency of lasers and energy requirements in general have never been constraints.

I think this a provisional name for particles that interact with Black Matter. Like the potentially new fundamental Force discovered.

B

>Right. The things that send off LOTS and LOTS of neutrons in all directions.

Forget the bomb, focus on the fact that they use neutrons as a military weapon. The effect of neutrons on people and equipment is the key here.

>You know why we usually don't employ them? Because they are so fucking inefficient at it.
>They are interesting for spaceships though, for long-term low acceleration.
>point out where they make actual sense, given the energy requirement to transport enough neutrons to the target.

In the 40k universe lasers are the standard issue military firearm and come from small ring mounted ones to cannons capable of cutting battleships in half.

>Yes please.

Take a 40k laser cannon and enable it to pump a whole lot of neutrons at the target.

>We're talking about a setting with FTL
We are?
Sure, if you throw physics out of the equation, then your weapon makes 100% sense.
10 point for back paddling though.

You're moving the goal posts pretty far there buddy.

You must really be used to talking out of your ass and nobody being smart enough to call you on it.

>come to a 40k thread
>surprised that we don't adhere to 100% realistic physics

wew lad

>Forget the bomb,
The bomb is the important part though.
It's like saying "forget the sword, iron is dangerous because you can cut yourself on it".
Yeah, if you have nigh infinite supplies of energy, go for it.

I'm not sure what goalpost I am supposed to have moved.

>The bomb is the important part though.

No, it's not. The neutrons are the important part. They're the whole piece of the puzzle. A neutron bomb isn't any better as a bomb than any nuclear bomb of similar yield. But they produce a lot more neutron radiation, which is they point.

There are other ways of creating neutrons than a neutron bomb.

>It's like saying "forget the sword, iron is dangerous because you can cut yourself on it".

So you're saying an iron spear is not dangerous? Or an iron mace? Iron axe? Iron tipped arrow? Because if you made a sword out of cardboard, it most certainly wouldn't be as effective as an iron sword, now would it?

>There are other ways of creating neutrons than a neutron bomb.
A runaway chain reaction is the cheapest way to do it. And that's a bomb.
You can also cut yourself on a piece of paper, but an iron blade simply does the job better.

>So you're saying an iron spear is not dangerous?
No, I am not. I am saying it's difficult to cut yourself with a spoon. A spear has a blade like a sword does, and a mace poses a completely different kind of danger to you, just like a neutron star poses a different kind of danger from a neutron bomb.

Can we weaponize the Higgs Boson and Field?

Possibly. From what I can tell people don't know nearly enough about what gravity is to make any kind of judgement on that.

>An arcane variant of the Malcador Heavy Tank design, it is said that the Valdor is named for a mighty hero of Imperial antiquity. It is armed with a compact Neutron Laser Projector, a powerful weapons system believed to be a relic of mankind's might in the myth-shrouded days of the Dark Age of Technology.

I mean, if you weren't talking about that, fine, but you're kind of dense for not looking up the OP image.

if they only interact with dark matter it could be the most useless weapon in the history of weapons.

What if you are fighting Africans?

well to put it in physics terms: not nearly dark enough

depends on the circumstances. I can go into my garden tonight and fire a BB gun or a sniper rifle at the moon but I aint hitting it

Also the neutron bomb was designed to kill organic matter but keep the general structure standing so an attacking force (US) can move in and quickly rebuild the area.

So it damages some of the mountain but it doesn't destroy it

>I can go into my garden tonight and fire a BB gun or a sniper rifle at the moon but I aint hitting it
>not living in a ring habitat in the L4 point of the Earth-Moon system
It's like you are still stuck at the bottom of the gravity well. I bet you also have second-hand implants that you stole from some random street samurai.

neutrons can't lase, you need a boson to lase properly because bosons don't obey the pauli exclusion principle, and that ability to fit an arbitrary amount of the particles inside a single point is what distinguishes a laser from mere particle beams.