Whats DnD and other roleplaying games like in other countries outside of the states and merry ol'england...

Whats DnD and other roleplaying games like in other countries outside of the states and merry ol'england? Do Frenchlanders use baguettes as six-sided dice and go "hon hon hon" when they roll a crit?

Other urls found in this thread:

rebootinfogamer.hr/en/exhibitors/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

French LOVE rules-light stuff and Call of Cthulhu. Germans love Das Schwarz Auge. Those are the only two I have experience with.

Japanese love preconceived character arcs and railroads.

I dunno if this is entirely true, but the Swedish have "Drakar Och Demoner" which is their version of Dungeons and Dragons.

It has SPECTACULAR looking art, but it's more well known for having Duck people as a playable race a long side the standard fare: humans, dwarves, and elves. Trolls and Goblins are also waaay more in use- I'm not sure they even use Orcs & Ogres.

It's basically Runequest + Years of adaptions

In poland its more of WFRP and shadowrun
however i dont have a lot of experience outside my dads tales and my own small group.

Brazil is all about rules light 3.X with anime aesthetics. The rule system is actually pretty cool but the setting is utter shit.

It's called Tormenta, which means "storm" in Portuguese. It's a bunch of lel so random anime ideas sewn together into a generic fantasy setting with cringe humor.

The setting's name refers to an environmental phenomena plaguing the world similar to acid rain, but it mutates stuff into demons and whatnot.

This actually would be kinda cool but despite being the namesake of the setting the tormenta has got fuck all to do with the rest of the world. There's a kingdom called *Hershey* that is known for it's sweets. There's a battle cleric transformer roaming around the world looting magic items. There's roman minotaurs that reproduce through rape.

And it's supposed to be EPIC. And people complain modern d&d is for weaboos.

In Germany there's Das Schwarze Auge, whioch you may know as The Dark Eye.

It's basically DnD on autism. You have a seperate skill for literally everything, for example fishing, each skill test requires you to separately roll a d20 against three attributes, calculate the total (for all three) difference between the rolls and the attributes, compare that to your actual skill rank and only then do you know if you've succeeded.

Casters use Mana that regenerates at the rate of like 1 MP per day, that means you might have to wait a week before using this core concept of your character, martial combat rules are completely no balanced, which results in everybody always ever only using the one combat maneuver they trained.

One positive is that they have quantified flaws, for example if you have the flaw
>curious 8
That means you roll a die and on an 8 or less it triggers which means you should play out curious behaviour. This adds some nice support for RPing flaws quite non-granulary.

Examples bud.

Double cross has a "the bad guy escapes because you aren't allowed to kill them right now" mechanic.

It's great.

I ran a campaign of Double Cross

I ignored basically everything except the corruption/powers mechanic, bullshitted stats for stuff and played it extremely vague.

It works then. But the GM advice section is fucking useless

You know speaking of the powers. They just seemed so. Bland. Not in theme, but functionally.

Apparently a lot of this comes from the unusual situation in Japan where they rarely roleplayed in one anothers homes, since houses and apartments in Japan tend to be very small with no free space. So instead of being able to do quite regular short meetings, instead groups might only get together every now and then, but they'd book a space somewhere for a long time. Having the preset arcs was a way of ensuring you had some interesting things happen in the session, rather than it just being a dull waste of time that you all paid for. Of course there's more depth and nuance to it than that, but the context helped me understand that aspect of JTTRPG's better.

Croatia is all about 3.PF, with a group of 6 old people religiously playing GURPS for years. That's as far as rpgs go.

Outside of rpgs, the most popular games are xwing and 40k, with some malifaux and infinity happening on a more or less regular basis.

Can't tell you anything about card games since I tend to ignore they even exist. Magic and GoT seem to be as popular as ever.

There is also a TON of people making their own games, either vidya or traditional. We have a critical mass of creative people without money, a lot of which end up starting careers in the game industry. It is a great way to escape NEET (which is a big problem here) and the everyday terror of family members.

What Croatian vidyas are successful outside of Croteam?

In Germany we have many people who play DSA (), a system with such a shitty fanbase that they whent ape-shit over an edition change about as big as D&D 3.0 to 3.5 .
Beside that:
The 90s are alive and well with Shadowrun (for which the german editions allways where better edited than the english ones) and Vampire, especially among Grognards. Call of Cthulhu is doing okay aswell, 7e even came out in german before english, and pretty cheap aswell.
D&D 3.PF is ofcourse still a staple, as 5e hasn't, and most liekly won't be translated, and 4e is as controversial here as it is everywhere.

Also, and i might be biased here because i really like it, there is Splittermond, a high-fantasy system that's pretty neat. Its a bit on the crunchy side, but everything is resolved with the same dice system which makes it play smooth enough.

The best list I got was from a convention website:
rebootinfogamer.hr/en/exhibitors/
Just ignore the obviously non slav exibitors like Konami and that's basically your list of croatian dev teams. We've got a ton of stuff in production from purely artistic indie games to mobile subcontractors, and anything in between.

In Argentina most of the groups play 3.PF, anything from White Wolf or Burning Wheel. 5th is gaining a lot of popularity since WoC are starting to pay attetion to our country again. We have the same case here going on, a lot of people are making their own games.
And of course 40k is the most popular, but people are slowly changing to either malifaux or warmachine.
In card games its been Magic for god knows how long, but a few new games from here are starting to make competition to them.

LET ME EXPLAIN EVERTYTHING IN NEEDLESS DETAILS:

Despite the name, DoD have little similarity to DnD mechanically and more resembles BRP but with a D20 instead of D100 as primary resolution mechanic (so what said).

The first five editions were pretty standard fare kitchen sink-fantasy, involving both orcs and the duck people (actually, 5th edition left the duck people out in an attempt to appeal more to the mid-90s grimdark expectations). The 6th edition used an entirely new setting known as trudvang, which was heavily flavored with nordic folklore and mythology and did away with some modern fantasy elements such as Orcs (and didn't reintroduce the ducks). This is also where the illustrations started to get real good.

Lately, just this year, a DoD-Trudvang splitt was announced. Trudvang continues as a role-playing game without the DoD-titel, and the next edition of DoD will return to it's modern fantasy roots (and reintroduce ducks!). Both systems still has kickass illustrations.

Railroading inst necessarily bad. It can be bad, but it doesn't have to.

Don't suppose there are translations out and about? Sounds interesting.

Ever read a japanese ttrpg? They either recommend or mechanically reinforce that shit jrpgs do all the time, and its never the good kind. Cultural bullshit at its finest.

Trudvang Chronicles, the new edition that's recently been Kickstarted, is also being released in English.

They kickstarted the english translation for Trudvang back in October this year, not sure when it will be available. No idea if or when the new DoD will get translated, it's not even out in Swedish yet.

Depends on what you want out of and RPG.

Lovely. I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks.

I think Trudvang is due May atm. Barring any delays ofc.

Used to GM with self-translated player material for a group of brits in uni (who later transformed into my weekly tg group of so many years) and I can't wait to get together again with a proper set of english books.

Hungary has MAGUS.

It's a terribad AD&D clone. Otherwise it's 3rd edition D&D, oWoD vampire/werewolf, as these are the things that got a translation about 20 years ago and they refuse to die out. Also some old West End Games d6 systems (mostly Star Wars).

Yeah, there's lso Trevas/Arcanum that is pretty ok.

Also Tragoedia, I really want to play it, but the world-building/scenary is so bland and uninspired that I would need to tear it off. Nigh unusable.