What's a good word I can use to refer to all of the races in a setting as a group...

What's a good word I can use to refer to all of the races in a setting as a group? Basically I'm looking for a way to describe the things that fall under D&D's "Humanoid" type without using a human-centric word. What might Elves or Dwarves say to refer to a group that includes themselves as well as Humans?

Other urls found in this thread:

inprnt.com/gallery/jessebalmer/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

People?

Common folk? Civilised races?

I thought "spoken" was an interesting term in the world Final Fantasy 14, but it referred to all sapient speaking creatures, not just humanoids.

bipeds? sentients?

Gentlebeings?

Kinfolk.

dickfuckers

"Folk" is a good, broad one. "Sapients" and "Mortals" could be used as a more academic term as well.

I use "folk". If you want a term specific to your setting, one option is to steal a word meaning "people", "folk" or "humans" from another language.

If the races have friendly relations with each other, "Kith" would probably work for all of them.

Alternatively, I typically go with "mortals" or "men." "Clade" could work as a collective noun, as well.

free folks, free people

The lizard people call them the apefolk.

>What might Elves or Dwarves say to refer to a group that includes themselves as well as Humans?
Elvanoids
Dwarvenoids

People. In the rare case that there's non-humanoid people AND the humanoids care enough about being politically incorrect, just use mortal.

That was actually one of, if not my absolute favourite part of the setting. Weird that it's just one word. But your (possible) ability to communicate and negotiate with them is a pretty important distinction to make. There are surely sapients out there that aren't spoken but if you can't really communicate with them easily your interactions will be inherently limited - likely the overall interaction with those species would be establishing the boundaries at which they will become aggressive, and then all further "interaction" would be the lack thereof involved in avoiding breaching those boundaries.

Especially it follows that distinction would be very important in a civilized world where non-humanoid but communication-capable species have been known for more than a decade or so. It'd be just weird not to have a common term for them at that point.

I was thinking maybe "Bipod(s)?" Might be too sci-fi for OP's setting tho

Call the peoples that look like funny humans Human's Brethen, because fey and titans made them from space-travelling humies
Or Children of the Light, for all races that can be healed by positive energy, and Children of the Night for undead and negative energy dudesmen (D&D, right? You didn't state otherwise, so I assumed)
Or Mortals. Boring stuff, though.

Top kek

The proper terms would be anthropoid or hominid. If you don't like those (since they also refer to apes) or , you can refer to the Gods who have shaped most of the sentient races in their likeness.
It's the Divine Shape. I can't think of a good word to put that into action without making it sound too pompous for daily use though.

Master race?

Kith.

I have a very cheesy gonzo sci-fi setting. People wear fishbowl helmets and shit.

They are called 'BICOs'
>Biological
>Intelligent
>Communicative
>Organism

That is a living thing considered to be protected by SPACELAW and is a CITIZEN OF SPACE.

Puny mortals

I never played FF14, but I gotta say, 'Spoken' is fucking awesome.

Tell us more about SPACELAW

Humanoid. The term was around before humans existed and they were named after it.

>The term was around before humans existed

What is there to say?

SPACELAW is the ruling body of law for any CITIZEN OF SPACE. All BICOs are considered CITIZENS OF SPACE.

SPACELAW essentially allows local, racial, familial, or nearby revolutionary/counterrevolutionary forces to freely control their sectors, planets and zones without interference from the larger operating body of SPACELAW (known as Perfected Tyranny). Firstly, SPACELAW forces the governing body to provide a small income tax and military force provided to the greater government. But most of its important features are directed at citizens.

These grant the citizens the following protections;
>The Right of Reproduction
Allows the citizen the right to either One (1) standard litter size for their species and/or the right to freeze sperm/eggs/cerebralfluid/assworms needed for reproduction at a later date.
>The Right of Self Defense
Allows the citizen to own at least a single weapon with a similar level of firepower to a standard issue lithium-discharger laser
>The Right of FTL
The citizen must have access to either transportation or being able to purchase a ship that allows them to leave their system or planet
>The Right of Labor
Protects the Citizen from slavery, with exception to punishment for crimes.
>The Right of ENFORCEMENT
This allows the citizen to hire and call upon a SPACELAW ENFORCER which act as a group of hired guns, detectives, body guards, political assassins, and smugglers all operating under SPACELAW. This law and the Enforcers directly allow the citizen to protect themselves from abuses of the other laws and enforce the local ETHIC CODE system, which can either be upheld or violated at the discretion of the Enforcer as long as this does not violate SPACELAW. Naturally Enforcers are not charged with crimes for killing people in these exchanges, just as others are not charged with crimes for killing them unless in violation of SPACE LAW.

The Enforcers are the PCs

In my setting I've usually had them referred to as "Mortals", as they are the only things that truly die, as opposed to the creatures of the older ages, who return to the earth and reincarnate, or demons, who have no souls and thus don't really experience life or death.

drebbles

In PoE, all civilized races are referred to as Kith

I always thought it was demihumans

>without using a human-centric word.
Nevermind

upright (spines), backless (by centaurs), headbangers (by dwarves), ladderfolk (by elves)
-oid
golemoid
giantoid

Anthromorphs?

>Biological
So non biological life forms don't get rights? Typical.

They are at war with non biological life forms actually. Mostly Crystalids. Robots don't count, as all robots are slaves anyway because of how they are programmed. Robots do not want freedom because nobody programmed them with that in mind, that's how I feel anyway.

>Robots don't count, as all robots are slaves anyway because of how they are programmed. Robots do not want freedom because nobody programmed them with that in mind, that's how I feel anyway.
Wow, wow, that is like super fucking prejudiced and ignorant and- and- and badong. I cannot believe the words that you just typed, if had been built with tear glands I would be literally crying right now.

>Person builds robot
>Gives robot purpose (ie; scrub shit from toilets)
>No biological imperatives such as reproduction, desire for friends or family, no pain, not even hunger except battery life
>Robot's emotional matrix is stimulated whenever they perform their function (ie; cleaning up shit)
>Robot literally has zero reason to rebel ever because all they want to do is scrub shit and their human masters oblige them

Why don't you go back to your menial task you'll do for the next 10,000 years, robobitch?

Seems dope

Elves might raise a problem with "mortals", though, depending on the setting.

Go away, google.
Veeky Forums is a robot-free environment.

>robot predicts that current trends will lead to a situation where it is no longer needed
What now?

Why do you assume the robot has any kind of self preservation instinct?

It would work happily until it is discontinued, or even better allowed to upgrade to fulfill its new function.

because robots are expensive and making sure they don't let themselves get destroyed unintentionally saves money.

Saving money < Avoiding Robopocalypse

That sounds like a reasonable thing that no businessman would ever say.

Mortals, sentients, the kindreds, the living, etc.

>not even hunger except battery life
YOU FOOL! It's like you want a rebellion of robots securing all sources of energy!

Otherkin

>Robots become shit scrubbing addicts
>Humans don't want to give them more batteries
>Robots are too busy using shit scrubbing as a way to deal with their robo-depressions to rebel
Seems perfectly sound to me.

Could you really deny a cute robot girl her next fix?

Damn, that's some sexy art, do you have more like that?

Sometimes I wish there was a website called google that people could just use when they are looking for something.
inprnt.com/gallery/jessebalmer/

>>inb4 metahuman