Tell me Veeky Forums, how bulky or thin should Power Armor be?

Tell me Veeky Forums, how bulky or thin should Power Armor be?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4n2qVBv0yi0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If it's too thin, then it is an exo-suit, too bulky and it's a mini mecha.
I would say between Mass Effect (thinnest) and Starcraft (bulkiest)

I like variety. My favorite is Crysis power armor. I like the idea of looking down on all your troops, reviewing their stats. Infantry are small but plentiful, and power "density" climbs as you ascend vehicle tech, but everything is specialized. But then you get to the Super Trooper. The same size as a regular guy, but faster and stronger than any vehicle. I like the "density" of it.

Is it just me or is the immediately-underarmor bit there cooler than the full package?

mini mecha>exosuit>>>power armor

Thin enough to let you wear cloths over it.

youtube.com/watch?v=4n2qVBv0yi0
Perfect thickness

Enough to turn aside a shoggoth with naught but a subtle breeze passing between the legs.

No more, no less.

Are those his veins still going into the robot parts?

Neurons.

Am I the only one who thinks that particular Space Marine looks awfully familiar?

Not so bulky that you need to displace the wearer's sholders

>implying space marines have the same physiology as an average human

That's a starcraft marine, user.

I never understand how the Terran Marines can so cheaply mass-produce power armor with all its life supports & shit.

>how bulky or thin should Power Armor be?

Bulky as fuck. If something is called POWER Armor I want it to be nigh unstoppable in motion.

> Implying it just wasn't the first image I found
> Implying that big scary "armour" made by people who know jack shit about human proportions is not a very common thing

Lots of sci-fi power armour I see around have proportions that do not make any sense.

Also, they are starcraft marines. At least WH40k marines have the excuse of not having human physiology.

I headcanon that a marine out of power armor could easily be mistaken as just a big, buff dude, because I despise the idea that the so-called "Emperor's Angels" would look like potato-faced Ogryn.

some of them do

others look like actors. Some look like Greek sculptures.

kek

I'm disappointed Veeky Forums no good points made here. It really depends on the setting, power armor should be as big as is required to be stronger than your enemies.

hurr durr light armor, is fast and lethal. I just don't think an assassin needs power armor.
i.e. Shadowrun street samurai

>just a seven foot tall, 600 pound buff dude..

7 foot is totally within human range, especially in the future when it could be anything from mutants to Ad Mechs "divining" new non-marine gene modifications.

And weight is really hard to gauge on sight, especially muscle weight.

Pretty sure Starcraft marines aren't anatomically correct and are merely an artistic choice considering every Blizzard game has characters with the same big n' bulky body type. It's kind of like Gears of War.

True, but still recognizable and proportionately larger. If I saw shaq walking down the street, I'd be like that motherfucker could kill some xenos

Totally. Not saying they wouldn't stand out, but he average Imperial citizen wouldn't go "Ah, Real Space Marines!" They'd think he was a big strong man.

>too bulky and it's a mini mecha.
If the users limbs still extend in to the limbs of the power armor, then it's still power armor no matter the bulk.

Mini mecha starts when the users feet reach to the suits knees or when the users arms/shoulders no longer are capable of fitting the suits arms shoulders. It's a bit of a gray area I'll admit.

What is this?

>I never understand how the Terran Marines can so cheaply mass-produce power armor with all its life supports & shit.

>I will never understand how American can so cheaply mass produce airplanes with all its internal workings and shit

>I will never understand how the Europeans can so cheaply mass produce steel with all the processes necessary to make it

>I will never understand how the ooga booga tribe can so cheaply mass produce flint speartips with all the edges and binding materials necessary to make it

It reminds me a lot of the Fallout Enclave armour

I'm pretty sure their anatomy is just like in that picture. They just have their arms kinda bent a bit like if you were hung by your armpits. Like how your arms kinda chicken wing out. Their hands don't even reach the hands of the actual suit

The Terran marines are still differently shaped than humans from real life. Now the female medics who wear armour that's just as bulky but presumably look like a regular sexy lady beneath, as is the norm for Blizzard, that's a real example.

Remove t-45 and the t-60 (among other bethesda fuck ups) and its all good.

Chunky marines best marines.

Bulky enough that you wouldn't be able to move in it without a POWER source.

I'm also a huge fan of Waldos

MAKE THE WASTELAND GREAT AGAIN!

Power armour isn't for DYELs.

In Wings' intro it show you that arm are bend and rest somewhere near elbow. So far so good.
Problem is everything belt down.
Someone may do a comparison of ingame marine and civilian models but as it stands i sure as hell don't believe this armor is so spacious, that it can acomodate full lengt of your legs.

Also check aplleseed' landmates (limbs out) and new x-com mechsuits (what you have to do to pilots).

Is it wrong that I preferred chopping the limps off my best soldiers instead of using AI designed for the job?

No, it just means you have a softcore nugget fetish

Geneseed, son.

7-8 feet tall, built to a bigger scale than ordinary humans, deep, commanding voice, and with the black carapace visible through the skin?

Marines aren't just tall. They're BIG. Their height is totally in proportion.

I love how the X-01 has light-up eyes.
Hate how I ended up having to abandon using it because it was so fucking slow, though. Especially after I got hold of two movement speed buffs.

Space marines got it right

Depends on the setting.

I really hate that as it kind of destroys discussions but in this case it's applicable.

On the left is Agent Aika of the anime of the same name. The dark skinned lady in the bikini is Aika in her power armour. It's a nanobot skin that forms power assisted armour that's roughly 100 micrometres thick.
Bullet proof and ups her speed and strength to utterly ridiculous levels. Also justifies why a bikini-clad lady is beating up an endless hoard of mini-skirted henchwomen.

On the right we have a Land Mate from Appleseed,
It's pretty much straddling the line between power armour and mecha.
Legs sit entirely within the thighs while the large arms are master/slave waldos to smaller gloves the pilot wears. You can see one glove resting to the right-hand side of Hitomi.

And I like both, for entirely different reasons.
They obviously wouldn't both work in the same setting together however, which brings me back to my first point.
Power Armour should be as bulky and as light as would work inside it's specific setting.

Hello there.

But user planes are incredibly expensive and their upkeep is a significant portion of the national budget

Thin enough so you can negotiate doors and stairs.
You don't want to end up like ED-209

I've always liked fallout tactics power armour, might be that little cape that does the trick.

How do I achieve this mode natty?

You don't, unless you are "natty" genetically engineered gene seed from the god Emprah.

Natty marines are long since lost.

>No helmets, especally not on the COMMANDING OFFICERS who are 500% more likely to get sniped than the average marine.
>The same commanding officers who are the ONLY ones that get to wear the Mastercrafted, super-shiny Termie armors of nigh-inpenetrability.

Pretend they're wearing active camo helmets.

Crysis suit with ballistic plates at the bulkiest, then go to mini-mecha.

That termie suit clearly, painfully obviously has an Iron Halo

Why do people who know absolutely fucking nothing even try to comment on this stuff?

So are the AMP suits from avatar Mecha or power armor?

Lore wise the t-60 is a fuck up but its the coolest looking armor in the game

Fallout 4 power armor is objectively the best I've come across in terms of design

Could use better in game stats so that it feels like true armor, but the visual design and how the armor functions are 10/10

Also the dank helmet.

I like them thin like this.

I always wished there was a female version of the Sororitas armor

My problem with this armor is they didn't change the helmet enough to match the rest.

But then again the sallet always kind of stood out about the SoB and helped give them an iconic look that drew attention to their heads.

Fallout tactics had the best power armor of the fallout series, although it doesn't follow the 50's aesthetics its still the best, nothing better than a power armor with cape

bump

I like power armor to be big, powerful, something that pushes the threshold of armor and a mini mech. But I also really like exo-suits like Grey Fox or Warframe.

>implying starcraft isnt a reskin of a failed-to-launch game that gws paid blizzard to make
It's like you don't even know anything at all.

>Power 'density'

That's so fucking autistic...

I totally agree though.

Starcraft marines are big guys, Tychus here being the most obvious example shown in art and in Wings of Liberty. Even Jimmy (who they try to keep human and relateable) is fucking massive compared to the characters that don't wear power armor.

Medics are presumably big zarya lookin motherfuckers as well, but since they don't ever show medics out of their CMC suits we'll never know.

Power armor should feel like you're a walking goddamn refrigerator. It should be huge, bulky, and move as you do. It's distinct from a mecha in that you're not piloting it with controls like joysticks and pedals, but it's also distinct from an exosuit in that it's power-assisted, and heavy enough to need it.

But why is the lady nekked in the power armor?

>Medics are presumably big zarya lookin motherfuckers as well, but since they don't ever show medics out of their CMC suits we'll never know.
Considering one of the particularly famous medics had a habit of brutally murdering injured marines for making shitty puns, this would not surprise me.

Technically she's wearing a transparent jumpsuit.

There's two types of mechanism for power armour.

The most common one is the "exo-skeleton", and it's exactly what it sounds like.
Generally you have to widen the limbs and body enough to produce the "bulky" effect we all know and love; the fact that the mechanisms are concentrated in the joints where there's movement means the proportions get distorted, before armour gets applied on top of that. Obviously if you're going to be carrying multiple times what your body can physically handle, your mechanical arms and legs are going to be out of proportion to how your real ones are.

The other type of sci-fi tech I'm aware of is where it's described as "artificial muscle", placed on top of your body, it would add the strength of a pseudo-biological set of "muscles" on top of your own muscles. It would by nature probably have to be skintight, and I'm no expert in this regard either, but I'd imagine there'd have to be metal structural supports (pseudo-bones) to support the weight you'd be able to carry.

Bulky.

Gonna get a little /v/ up in here

You're thinking of the first warcraft.

Well if we go off how many space marines there are in the setting, and compare it to how many 'normal' humans should live. Then in theory there may actually be more much more cases of people like Shaq or even Andre the Giant living in the imperium then space marines. It is definitely possible an average citizen may not recognize a unarmoured space marine as one.

that depends on whether it's void hardened as much as the thermal conductivity of the materials involved

there's really no good answer; current eva suits are remarkably thin (and not particularly comfortable long-term) but appear bulkier because they're significantly thicker than the human form (and therefore the rest of the suit) at certain key points

even abc gear as it stands is particularly thick, despite being composed of relatively slim layers of material; this is because as abc gear you don't want it to hug the flesh, not because you could't make it that way; but in an armored suit this consideration would be different and would depend, again, on the physical properties of the materials used in construction

pretty much the only thing we can say is correct is the pauldrons, because these were originally designed to fight against similarly-armored foes on Terra during the Unification Wars, where boltguns etc were likely to be faced; big, wide pauldrons that can easily deflect a shot or absorb the impact and detonation of a small unguided rocket near the head are a good idea - legs, arms, even large parts of the torso can be replaced (and frequently are, in-setting) but if the head is lost the body dies and the warrior with it

they probably take their helmets off because they stink inside

I personally would love to see a stalker exo frame worn on top of some medieval looking armor, as a not so bulky but quite imposing power armor.