Water mages are required to wear swimming attire instead of robes

>water mages are required to wear swimming attire instead of robes

how does that impact your setting?

str -2

she freezes to death because she specializes in ice magic. Oh well, time to turn those old boots of the winterlands into a leather string bikini.

if she specializes in ice magic, can't she keep the cold away from her own butt?

Probably not much, wearing clothing symbolically associated with the magic you're trying to work is helpful in general.
What does "swimming attire" look like during, say, the medieval or iron age? Similar to now but made out of plant- or hair-based textiles? That strikes me as likely to be wrong but I am regularly surprised.

you're pretty much correct.

>What does "swimming attire" look like during, say, the medieval or iron age?
Birthday suit, I guess.

My Muscle Wizard just became Californian.

Dang it, I hate California.

There wouldn't be many hydromancers outside the tropics.

It happened in Obsidian's Tyranny. Short-answer, she's a whore.

that would be heat magic, idiot

Wait are you actually playing a muscle wizard or are you memeing

He has 16 Str and 18 Con.

What do you think?

Hummm, aren't users of an elemental power often immune/resistant to that elements effects?

Be sort of silly to have a ice mage that is always battling hypothermia or a pyromancer that gets heat stroke.

>What does "swimming attire" look like during, say, the medieval or iron age?
Nudity.

Swimsuits weren't really a common thing until the 19th century. While bikini-style clothing existed at least as far back as ancient Rome, actually swimming was usually done naked. Without elastic or synthetic fabrics, making a garment that would stay on during vigorous activity in the water but wouldn't become waterlogged and impede the swimmer's movement was very difficult.

>the cold bothers her anyway

Don't you think heavy winter clothing makes for a pretty cool and distinctive costume for a cold-themed magician, though?

>druids are required to wear animal-themed attire

how does that impact your setting?

Well, performing magical rituals in the nude shouldn't be out of the ordinary, either, depending on tradition, so still not much shaken up.

Everybody's immediately thinking of bikinis, one piece suits and swimming trunks. What about wet suits or high- pressure diving gear?

>Keep getting robes soaked because water mage.

>Create Waterproof clothes?
>Learn cold-immunity, ice clothing conjuration spells?
>Nudist Magic Discipline?
>Oh wait I'm a wizard just waterproof my clothes so it doesn't matter?
>Prestidigitation?

Still, if water magic is prevalent enough to afford to live in picturesque location like a tropical island or at least temperate lakeside, I could see the traditional habits lending themselves toward swimwear rather than robes. Entry level spells are water-breathing, cold-resistance and aquatic motion.

Merfolk casters probably get a little bit of a preference for these places since they can get to the proper aquatic locations under the surface where the practical lessons tend to take place, but the coast is awash with structures above and below the surface depending on what application comes up.

Maybe even a floating platform, or rising falls from the waterline holding up the classes for cloud and weather water magic.

Those're kind of restrictive and uncomfortable. Though a wetsuit would solve the "getting too cold" problem discussed above.

Okay, but what do Pyromancers wear?

Slaanesh is pleased.

Obviously they wear clothing which is actively on fire.

Can be, doesn't need to be though. No-shirt no-shoes refrigeration service via frost mage doesn't sound too bad either.

Non-flamables, lightweight clothing that isn't likely to get torn or caught in explosions. If you're fire-immune you might still consider scuba gear or at least a gas mask to keep breathing in case you aren't also smoke immune or no longer oxygen dependent.

Chef's hats and aprons

>be overseeing a batch of newly appointed pyromancers
>class is happy to have graduated, some being rowdier than others
>going nuts immolating themselves cause of fire immunity
>they're having fun
>half the class dies of smoke inhalation

>surfer dude mages surfing around atop water elemental summons
Tubular/10

honestly, I'm glad they thin themselves out. Pyromancin' ain't easy.

>Stargate 1888
I dont think you thought this through OP

Flame shirts

>Don't you think heavy winter clothing makes for a pretty cool and distinctive costume for a cold-themed magician, though?
I do, but I also think it can be a bit over played. An ice mage having a fur collar on their robes is a nice touch. Having them dress like an Eskimo for a campaign that takes place in a temperate forest or grassland, is a bit much to me.

> Mage

> Required to do jack shit

The entire reason to study magic is so that physics can stop trying to tell you what to do, and now you're trying to make me dress up like some watery tart? What, next you want me to go around hanging out in lakes by Castles and handing out swords to hopeful kings?

Fuck you. I'm going to wear a Burkini.

Dress like firefighters.

That's just the lot in life of a magician. You trade the iron fist of physics as your ruler for a council of weirder and more esoteric bullshit.
Well, I guess it doesn't have to be their lot, but if magic is so powerful and also virtually costless that sounds just a little lame.

This spring I read a short manga about Firefighters, literal fire benders and normies who fought hostile Fire Elementals and each other. I think it was done by the guy that did Bleach. It had an okay premise but then it petered out pretty quickly. But the aesthetics were these Firefighters would wear actual Firefighter gear, and some of the normies would have extra cool gadgets and armor built into the gear

Dude, that is a pic of a flambe-o-mancer. Close to pyromancers since they both use fire, but he specialized in cooking with fire magic.

>Magical Girl setting
>Most our group hasn't seen any Magical Girl media since Sailor Moon and Card Captors.
>This is reflected in our outfits which we ended up deciding on basically Sailor Moon style leotard, miniskirt, belt, mini-cape and fancy shoes.
So not much changes, our water witch is already in what could pass for modest one-piece swimsuit. Along side everyone else.

Also the reoccuring mermaid kaiju villain is in a bikini when in human disguise, or dressed like she was going to the beach already, so other then putting her bikini top back on when she has her tail out, no change.

It's not so much required as the symbolic nature of the clothing allows greater ease of casting from a particular school of magic.

You think the Necromancer actually WANTS to dress like an edgelord? Fuck no, that shit reduces mana costs by like 40% and gives 2 bonus skellies per raising.

Godamnit that's cute

Too bad mascot outfits freak me the fuck out

That'd actually be a pretty cool school of magic. I wanna multiclass as a battle chef now.

>It's all about hunting down and killing the rarest, most delicious, most dangerous monsters for the ultimate meal

>Wearing clothes at all when using water magic
Enjoy your spell failure and chafing.

>The worst mage in the world (he would make an awesome sorcerer though) wears a classy justaucorps
>The most powerful human mage wears a hooded mantle and nothing else. She also has no arms due to leprosy rendering them worthless and had them amputated. She goes immodest because ever try using the bathroom without arms?
>The most powerful immortal mage wears tattered shorts, a pristine cape, and straps on her feet. Tits out, captain.
>The ex-most powerful mage wears a full-length robe reddened with the blood of a succubus. The robe is cursed and taking it off is a bad idea.
>A fairly strong ice mage is wearing a kimono in the "traditional" fashion.

Clearly, immodesty is power, and water mages have gone from "worthless" to "Uh oh".

The furries are beco9ming more advanced. This is horrifying.

>Weak, skinny, flabby mages wearing swimsuits
Disgusting. This is also why I don't understand dudes who go chick spotting at beaches

>My Muscle Wizard just became Californian.
MUH DICC

That's actually a pretty cute outfit. A shame about the community it's associated with.

>the water mages must wear swimsuits

They fit in right with the martials then.

Here, have a WebM.

>Tome of Battle Book of Nine Swords.webm

>3rd party martial disciplines.
Go look up Carnal Blossom Discipline and have fun.

Going back to topic though,
>Water mages in swimwear.
>Fire mages in skimpy, but durable outfits to minimize catching on fire or else full fireproofed anti-contaminant suits to avoid asphyxiating themselves.

Earth mages must go barefoot?
Air-users always hyperventilating?
Metal-users never taking armor off, wearing quicksilver as a second-skin?
Plant magicians wearing still-live vines, leaves and all, complete with grow-on snacks?

Nah just have to wear something that visually evokes the element so that their elemental theme is completely obvious. That way it becomes a part of their spell casting ritual.

Stone-plate clad Dwarf Rock Mages wielding pure iron clubs indistinguishable from the warriors of their clan so that they are hidden among the rank and file; like rocks on a mountain?

Would a fire mage use a Fire motif, or a woodland one to represent kindling?

Why? There is literally nothing to imply that, besides her outfit (which is literally what everyone else wears because it's south and it's hot). Ancient times and Bronze Age had really revealing clothing, google it.

Water mages wear diving suits with SCUBA gear.

Fire mages wear firesuits. The bulky silvery kind.

Earth mages wear simple work overalls and steel-toed boots and must use a jackhammer as their focus.

Air mages wear flight jumpsuits, helmets, and oxygen masks.

Metal mage outfit is similar to earth mage outfit, but also requires fireproof mittens and a power hammer as a focus.

Wood mages wear flanel shirts, jeans, a beard, and a chainsaw.

Void mages wear space suits.

So does that mean a necromancer has to wear a suit?

Possibly. Maybe also he has to lie in a coffin to use his powers.

Implausible and stupid scenario.

Better version: using water magic inevitably gets you soaked. What do water mages wear and what special precautions do they take due to this?

That also means that mages function best in close proximity to their elements, and almost never near the opposite. That's why all the void mages are on orbital stations or off-world bases on barrent planets without atmosphere.

Swimsuits. They wear swimsuits.

It's an optical trick.
The eyes are dead centre but recessed behind a convex lens so as you view from different angles it looks like they're following you.

Water magic doesn't keep you from getting cold or needing protection from other elements.

And? What do you suggest, then?

Same boat senpai.
Also worried it's a furry practicing some fetish act.

It is.

Sure, they have to wear typical funeral clothes so, they're always in suits and dresses.

I would.

anime was a mistake

False, user. That is a Flavormancer.
Now turn in your Flavortown entry permit.

>dissing AOTY

If I shaked my head any harder, it would snap off and fly into orbit.

All my elemental mages wear attire that doesn't showcase their elements.
why broadcast to everyone around you what your weakness is? Sounds dumb if you ask me.

All dragons have long since learned to change their outer color too.

>having a setting with something as irritatingly bland as "water mages" in it
I pity all you fools.

why don't you enlighten us about how amazing and unique your setting is user?

It's a Hyboria pastiche wherein I blatantly ripped off several real cultures, and it's still better than your setting.

Flavourtown is just a location within the Elemental Plane of Flambe.

>Hyboria
sounds like your setting is dogshit

And yet, it's still better than yours.

At that point either water mages would need a pocket fire mage to keep them from getting hypothermia, or water mages would only really "work" in hot climates. Being drenched in water constantly would totally suck.

>no u

>no u 2

he's right desu
Classical elements are the lamest form of magic imaginable.

source?

Google 'butt fight anime' and if it isn't the first, second, third and forth result then you live on another planet.

Not really a rule. Always nice to hoist someone by their own petard, and even beyond that it's just a thematic choice whether or not to make them immune.

Do you usually make time wizards immune to aging?

Ash, obviously.

... it turns out that most elemental wizards are required to wear something close to nudity, with this rule.

>I studied magic so nothing would be able to tell me what to do!
>wait I need to learn how to use ancient books, magic words, spell components, hand gestures, and ritual prep?
>fuck that, completely defeats the point of me NOT KNOWING ANYTHING OR TRYING EVER

>skellimtons all have an edgy clothing fetish

>Japanese Title:
競女!!!!!!!!
>Romanized Title:
Keijo!!!!!!!!
>English Title:
Hip Flip Girl

That's eight exclamation points, in case you were wondering.

Why not just help them out?

>Why not just help them out?
man, fish, yadda yadda

>it's not because I didn't know the title/was too lazy, I swear!

I choose not to spoonfeed.
But obviously I can't prevent the others from doing so.

>Numerous petitions sent to the King by the Temple of Hedonism
>Petitions are all requests for a new temple to be built right next to the water mage academy

You can get rid of welfare when laws regarding hunting, growing your own food, owning rain barrels, and living off the grid are given 500 lashes.

>16 STR
So not a muscle wizard then

>Water magic doesn't keep you from getting cold

Counterpoint: yes it does.

>knocking the classics

They're classic for a reason, user.

It's good to know I'm not alone.