I have a relative who's a huge fan of the Catan games. For his Christmas present...

I have a relative who's a huge fan of the Catan games. For his Christmas present, I want to produce some 3D printed tiles for the game, they're relatively cheap to print but take 3 hours for a pair. How many of each type of tile would be enough to make a meaningful contribution to the game?

4 Sheep (Light green)
4 Wood (Dark green)
4 Wheat (Yellow)
3 Brick (Red)
3 Stone (Grey)

And then there are the trading ports. One for each resource plus four 3:1 Trading port tiles

Thank you very much. I was afraid I'd asked the wrong board.

Don't forget to add 1 desert. The bad robber(t) lives there

Just the one?

So you are saying he Catans?

There's only one desert tile in the original game (2-4 players). If you're going for the 6 player axpansion you'd need two.

Here's a picture from the official website, showing all of the game's components.

And here's a close-up of the piles of buildings/roads, so you can see how many of each to make.

Thank you as well.

That's excellent. Are there only the tiles shown in the box and it's only their arrangement which varies?

5-6 player expansion featuers:
6 Sheep (Light green)
6 Wood (Dark green)
6 Wheat (Yellow)
5 Brick (Red)
5 Stone (Grey)
2 Desert (Yellow aswell)
11 Water tiles
4 "any" Harbors and one of each resource execpt 2 sheep

I just checked the back of my old box. I'm sure your relative will love it, it's a great game, and 3d tiles would be a great way to play it.

Yep, that's the one.

I honestly can't thank you enough. I believe he has the original Settlers and Seafarers so that's extremely helpful.

If there are any chaps in the UK who'd like some 3D tiles, I'd be happy to run them off by way of saying thank you properly.

I live in Denmark so it's a little far, but if you could post a picture of a map once you've printed some of the pieces I'd appreciate it. I only ever played with the original sexagonal pieces.

What the hell, it is Christmas. Send an address to [email protected] and I'll send you some forest and water tiles as I have plenty of green and blue filament.

Don't forget the little number tokens. It's hard to tell from the picture, but each number in pic is on a little separate coin-sized cardboard disc. The large round depressions in the middle of each tile in pic are meant to house these tokens.

Dunno if you plan to make the tokens too, or just have him use the cardboard ones, just something to consider.

cant help think it would be rather fun to take a set of these and ultra-detail them as a modeller. do stuff like grind a water tile down, paint it with shoreline on 2 edges, then fill with transparent resin, and paint in the white wave breakers rolling in. make them spectacular.

You could print them using an SLA machine (goes down to 50/25 microns layer height and comes out transparent) but that would push the cost from £10-15 of materials to well over £100 for a complete set of tiles.

I'm a pretty shit painter and too poor for SLA so I'll have to settle for 80 micron layer height and 1 colour.

Epic

> (Yellow aswell)
Because Beige is a myth, right?

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

toppest kek

if you can find them the old GW mighty empire tiles would work as a starting point.
Came as clip together terrained hexagon tiles with mountain, forrest, grassland and desert options