$$$ Competitive Modern General Magic: the Gathering M:TG MTG $$$

Welcome to $$$ Competitive $$$ Modern $$$ General $$$
This is not a casual thread. This is not a thread for beginners. We expect you to already know how to play. There are plenty of articles and videos on how to play and how to git gud.

Previous Thread
Sideboard Edition
Questions of the Thread
>Favorite SB card?
>Favorite card that sees play?
>Personal policy on fakes?

RESOURCES
>Current Modern Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
>How many sources of each color do you need?
channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

Common Modern - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Jund
>Bant Eldrazi
>Infect
>Affinity
>Dredge
>Burn
>Gx Tron

Uncommon Modern - Decks You Should Know About
>Junk
>Merfolk
>Jeskai Nahiri
>Suicide Zoo (DeathsShadow.dek)
>Suicide Bloo (KilnFiend.dek)
>GR Breach Titan
>GR Scapeshift
>Eldrazi & Taxes
>Grixis Delver
>Grixis Control
>Ad Nauseam
>Abzan Company

Rare Modern - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Blue Moon
>Lantern Control
>Jeskai Control
>Death & Taxes
>Jeskai Midrange
>RUG Scapeshift/BtL Scapeshift
>RW Prison (Sun&Moon)
>RG Ponza
>Skred (With or without Skred, it's a Blood Moon prison deck)
>8-Rack (Also Bushwhacker Zoo)
>Bant Spirits
>Elves
>WB Tokens
>Mardu Nahiri
>Esper Control
>RUG Delver
>Soul Sisters
>Bogles (GW Enchantments/Hexproof)
>Grishoalbrand
>Living End
>Knightfall
>Goblins/8-Whack
>Kiki Chord
>Pryomancer's Ascension
>Faeries
>Duskmantle Mindcrank Mill / other UB Mill

Mythic Modern - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Esper Teachings
>Grixis Cruel Control
>Timewalks
>Ux Tron
>Martyr-Proc
>Amulet Titan
>Allies
>5C Humans
>Mono G Stompy
>Bx Infect
>Green's Sun's Zenith
>Jeskai Ascendancy
>Angel Moon
>Ritual Gifts
>Someone playing last year's standard deck

Other urls found in this thread:

sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=109174
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=108812
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=110032
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=109597
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You could just post the tier list instead of trying to copy the legacy general.

Then you create a new pasta that competitive modern general can use.

The same style as legacy general is better than the nothing shitstorm it has been for a while. Didn't we get like 3 ban blood moon editions in a row?

>Skred (With or without Skred, it's a Blood Moon prison deck)

how?

I've seen what is just skred but without snow mountains and without skred. Skred is most common because it can kill creatures with 4+ toughness for 1 mana.

>TFW your deck fell from tier 1 to like tier 3 and its replacement cant get above tier 2.

Hate my life sometimes

What deck?

And you do know that tiers don't actually represent power level, they just show what is topping, right?

Stronger decks are typically represented more but if everyone starts playing esper tokens, that doesn't make it the best deck even if it's 20% of the field.

RUG Scapeshift. The fall has been really hard.

Sucks man. I was on the opposite train and now I'm afraid of bannings. I've been playing dredge forever. Back when JTMS was new I was a YGO player and a few friends played MTG. I was watching them, some guy had lands in front and I asked my friends if that was allowed. Turns out there are no dedicated zones in MTG and they told me I should see a dredge player's GY, it's just all over the table. Dredge seemed really cool and I picked it up and have been playing it since. Neonate and Amalgam were amazing pick ups and I'm afraid Reunion put it too high on the map.

What's your typical record at FNM with RUG Scapeshift?

Ive gone no losses and ive gone no wins. I usually do about average though. Best performance with the deck was at an Old PTQ (Back when that was all that was needed to start, no PPTQ or other qualifiers). That day, out of a 400 man tourney i came in 28th. Was a good day.

Is mono red burn even worth running? Of course I'd rather run naya burn but seeing as that land base is more expensive than my car payment, I feel I may have to settle

i think it makes more sense to omit mono red prison than to lump it with skred red... skred is on a midrange plan and wants as few dead draws as possible whereas prison goes for fast lock which means playsets of awful topdecks

>tfw half my matches don't go to game 2
>cockatrice, everyone

i can't wait to finish this in paper so i can at least get store credit when people quit and also because i just want to play more games, especially postboard

Leyline raped Monored out of the format play 8-Whack instead.

Which one are you the W/U guy or Grishlolabrand?

Also don't omit Free Win Red that shit is blast. Wish Blood Moons and Magus wouldn't cost me $200 at minimum or I'd build it.

i'm the one about to draw his deck

i feel an optimal list also has some number of chalice and skite in the 75, not to mention bridges

>tfw I play living end
>your shitty meme deck is making my shitty meme deck impossible to play because everyone packs more GY hate

AH, i've always had problems with Grishlolabrand, remand doesn't do shit to it. Those too sadly that just drives the price sky high.

It's really only a big problem if they're packing Rest in Peace. If they're trying to Relic, Crypt, or even Leyline you you can still get a game out of it.

Rest in Peace though, Jesus Christ, that fucking card should never have been printed. No fucking games can be had with that card. I seriously think that is the most un-fun card printed in recent memory. It's like Stasis-level of game-killing. Like, I thought Timely Reinforcements was gross, but Rest in Peace is the worst.

holy fuck scapeshift is so dumb
is there something other than infect and a blood moon deck that has like a 100% win rate against it?

Anything packing Crumble? Counterspells? Affinity? Seriously the deck is hyper linear and its not hard to see when the finale is going to happen.

I have enjoyable games against Scapeshift with the UWR control decks. Can't say whether the matchup is good, but we have some solid games.

Gives you red for land hate, white for pathing their creatures, and countermagic. Deck runs Tectonic Edge to keep them off mountains. You can even run one copy of Crucible in the sideboard.

He is talking about G/R or Breach shift, not RUG or BtL. I personally dont like BtL, seems WAY too slow even if you get to pack your deck full of silver bullets.

Is there a build with Nahiri and Cryptic Command?

I've seen builds with Nahiri and builds with Cryptic/Sphinx's Rev, but never both. Are they not viable?

What do you think is better? And how should the deck be built to not auto lose to blood moon? All cockatrice is is scapeshift and skred.

control matchups are a good time desu, especially since most decks are tuned against aggro atm, and it's less likely they bring in grave hate due to snapcaster and such. i played a game yesterday where i spliced a vengeance twice on his end step, then did more nonsense on my turn. Dude would have needed like 4 counters and 6+ mana to beat it, lol

dunno about 100% but i think an average draw on rug delver beats most draws from any valakut deck.

Cryptic is so blue intensive it hurts man. Like As awesome and game swing as Cryptic can get, trip blue makes it VERY hard to run. Much like how Obliterator's BBBB makes it impossible to run.

Some grishoalbrand guy on cockatrice reanimated griselbrand during my turn, blocked narcomoeba, didn't block 3 amalgams and 2 bloodghasts. I cast darkblast on my narco so he wouldn't gain life, he then paid 14 life, didn't do anything else and insisted he wasn't dead.

It seems like I am thinking about an old Scapeshift deck. According to If such is the case I don't think I can offer much advice.

You'll have a hard time against Blood Moon with the UWR Control. If they're packing Moon you basically have to decide between casting Cryptic Command or the other part of your deck, it's a shit situation and you often have to bring in Wear/Tear to fucking get out of it.

I personally don't see any reason why you can't run the Cryptic/Sphinx build and just substitute 2-3 Nahiri and one Emrakul in the place of whatever other win condition. But then, I'm sure there's some reason some expert can point out why that doesn't work.

The deck just wins off Snapping back burn and/or Cryptics and Collonades. Your choice of win condition takes up 3-4 slots max + one or two Sphinx Revelation.

If you're concerned with Blood Moon, Nahiri is your girl. Her -2 kills enchantments and you only need 1 plains and 1 nonbasic/mountain+2 others under blood moon to cast Nahiri.

dang lol that sounds pretty bad. did he seem newish to magic?
there's a lot of stuff to know that's particular to the deck but everyone should know how damage step works
did you end up winning the match?

>70% win rate isn't good enough
Why so greedy, user?

Hold it right there, Bant spirits is an actual deck?

If anything, I'd expect Esper Spirits to be the variant of choice due to Lingering Souls + Mausoleum Wanderer being such a terrific combo but Bant?, It makes no sense.

What can Green possibly offer to a tribal Spirit deck that Black can't do better?, Any anons that play it / have played against it can explain it to me?, Because I'm honestly stumped here.

Green for CoCo and Noble Hierarch.

For a Jeskai Nahiri build, why do some lists have just like 1-2 Ancestral Vision? It's the type of card you want to suspend as early as possible.

>CoCo
Does that synergize well with Vials?, Hierarch I can understand, but CoCo is playing roulette in a deck that cares a lot about timing. You could argue the chance of putting a Queller on the field is worth it, but it's not a guarantee unlike flashing back LS and then Saccing a Wanderer for basically the same result at a mere cost of 1B.

Hierarch also I don't quite see either because the deck wants to aggro with a bunch of creatures rather than 1 and even then, its more focused towards control with Quellers, Wanderers and all. It's like its trying to be Merfolk levels of aggro when its more like D&T.

Any decklists I can look over?

sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=109174

sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=108812

sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=110032

sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=109597

We also have 0 tournament results for esper spirits

yeah, you get lingering souls and maybe something like discard and sorin, but the coco lists that play like merfolk seem better than esper.

I think merfolk is better than spirits but I'm sure there's a metagame where spirits are better.

Honestly I've been grinding bant spirits and I think it is incredibly strong and has a great matchups vs dredge and affinity and a pretty good matchup vs infect. Struggles vs blooicide and bogles, occasionally but less so with zooicide and can lose to early ugin but otherwise sound.

All the cards in the deck look mediocre by themselves but together they are absolutely disgusting, you can be slightly weak early but the deck doesn't run out of gas, CoCo is nuts and the deck is resilient to hate and almost all removal. It can get awkward hands as the deck is full of 3 drops and you occasionally stumble on mana too, I also find you can end up losing a lot of life to fetches as well but you can generally stabilize.

I love the deck and I am taking it to a tournament instead of affinity in 1 week.

You wouldn't want to run Obliterator even if you had BBBB consistently on T4

>no Blitzkrieg in the tierlist

My own list is very similar, the biggest diference is that, rather than CoCo, I run Vials.

I'd put together a tappedout list but I've got a joint that most certainly won't smoke itself:

Creatures: (26)
>Mausoleum Wanderer x4
>Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit x2
>Selfless Spirit x4
>Rattlechains x4
>Phantasmal Image x4
>Drogskol Captain x4
>Spell Queller x4

Artifacts: (4)
>Aether Vial x4

Sorceries: (3)
>Lingering Souls x4

Instants: (4)
>Path to Exile x3

Lands: 23
>Cavern of Souls x4
>Moorland Haunt x2
>Mutavault x3
>Ghost Quarter x2
>Flooded Strand x4
>Hallowed Fountain x2
>Godless Shrine x1
>Watery Grave x1
>Plains x2
>Island x2

Sideboard:
>Promise of Bunrei x3
>Kataki, War's Wage x3
>Spirit of the Labyrinth x3
>Eidolon of Rhetoric x3
>Shape Stealer x3

I've found that it has stronger starts, probably stronger than Bant but lack of CoCo means it runs outta gas faster.

If I only could /also/ run CoCo in my list...

use this manabase
6 plains
6 island
6 swamp
6 forest

that way you can't ever get fucked up by blood moon even though you're a 4 color deck

Man, I really like the look of that, I have vials from playing dnt in legacy, part of me wants to straight up cut noble hierarch for vials and still have 4 cocos but I don't know how good that would be

My list (basically same as calebs but with 2x spellskite instead of a rhox war monk in sb):

// 60 Maindeck
// 29 Creature
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Drogskol Captain
4 Spell Queller
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Rattlechains
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
2 Phantasmal Image
3 Geist of Saint Traft

// 2 Enchantment
2 Steel of the Godhead

// 7 Instant
4 Collected Company
3 Path to Exile

// 22 Land
1 Gavony Township
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Plains
1 Razorverge Thicket
1 Temple Garden
3 Windswept Heath
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Forest
4 Flooded Strand
1 Cavern of Souls
2 Breeding Pool
2 Botanical Sanctum

// 15 Sideboard
// 2 Artifact
SB: 2 Engineered Explosives

// 4 Creature
SB: 2 Spellskite
SB: 2 Qasali Pridemage

// 6 Enchantment
SB: 3 Rest in Peace
SB: 3 Stony Silence

// 3 Instant
SB: 1 Path to Exile
SB: 2 Blessed Alliance

>Death & Taxes

What a weird method to spell 'Hatebears'.

haha blaze it dude

4 Snapcaster Mage
1 Vendilion Clique
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Nahiri, the Harbinger
1 Timely Reinforcements
4 Serum Visions
3 Ancestral Vision
4 Path to Exile
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Spell Snare
2 Lightning Helix
2 Mana Leak
3 Remand
2 Anger of the Gods

4 Flooded Strand
3 Scalding Tarn
2 Arid Mesa
2 Steam Vents
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Sacred Foundry
3 Celestial Colonnade
1 Sulfur Falls
3 Island
1 Plains
1 Mountain
1 Ghost Quarter

Sideboard: 20
1 Wear // Tear
2 Negate
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Monastery Mentor
1 Keranos, God of Storms
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Supreme Verdict
2 Crumble to Dust
3 Surgical Extraction
1 Timely Reinforcements

Other than 20 SB, how does this look? Why do builds run just 1 Ghost Quarter? Wouldn't another Colonnade or fetch be better?

Why don't any Jeskai Nahiri lists have 4 Ancestral? It seems like the thing you really want to suspend early.

What do I cut from the SB? These 20 seemed like the best from lists I've seen. Also, Spellskite and Blood Moon.

That seems like Madness and I got no discard outlets.

Unfortunately, consistent 4 color decks are fated to loose against the light of the Blood Moon. Such is the way of MtG.

The idea was taking advantage of utility lands like Mutavault, Ghost Quarter and Moorland Haunt to help you push through as your initial hand depletes.

Let's not forget that the signature token deck in Modern makes SPIRIT tokens, so a lot of cards from W/B tokens fit right in. In fact I've been thinking about including Spectral Procession, but if I were to do that I think I'd rather use Promise of Bunrei because it works so well with Selfless Spirit and Wanderer. The tokens don't have Flying but they are more and the card helps you hold on to the game in case you get Wrathed. Makes it really resilient you know?

I'd like to cut Path myself for some black removal that doesn't give the opponent extra mana. Any ideas on what I could use?

Also, if I were you I'd ALWAYS run 4 Phantasmal Image. Their synergy with almost every other creature in the deck is just ludicrous. Being a situational Captain or Queller (or Selfless Spirit is just way too good)

Always fgt.

Phantasmal Image is so good.
CoCo into Phantasmal Image with Drogskol Captain on the battlefield, now you have two. Copy a rattlechains and give something hexproof. Copy Spell Queller and Quell a spell.

Where my Grixis Delver niggas at

ded cuz that deck sux

Making it. Just need about... 70% of the deck?

need 4 snaps to finish it..i love the options and the fun of the deck.. should i wait for mm3?

>implying they'll print anything relevant

You can get 4 snapfakester mage for $16.20

u fuckin suck

Got dem fakes already

wtf did i quote.. meant

I literally can't tell most of VZ's fakes apart without a loupe or LED light.

Seems pretty stock. Not sure how I'm feeling about maindeck timely.

AV is weird. You want to see it in your opener or not at all. Also what the fuck is going on in that SB and why is Mentor in there.

>8 Rack (Also Bushwacker Zoo)

What did he mean by this?

Name text looks absolutely awful.

Just a little too dark. It looks like the glow around him and the expansion symbol are a tiny bit darker than normal. Bretty damn good though

I meant to put it by goblins/8whack but just brain farted.

what gives away the fakeness:
too opaque (colors in real cards are way brighter and have more vivid color in general)

the text on the card is blurrier than the real one

Chinamen fakes are the future.
Death to Collectors and speculators

nah man. most fakes can be easily detected by what i said here even naked eye.. the best ones i saw were JTMS and Inquisition of kozilek. the rest are detectable.They're good but not amazing.

Lands are almost spot on. The rest are Shit or pasa doublesleeved. Enough for me

HATEBEARS IS NOT DEATH AND TAXES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Exactly, automatic 4 of.

maindeck countersquall checking in
manabase is janky right now but it mostly seems to work

>tfw BR moon is actually not that bad of a deck right now

I have these too. They look awful. Way too dark

Wincon?

From everything I've seen, this looks okay.

Main win con
>4 Nahiri, the Harbinger
>1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Chump blockers
>4 Snapcaster Mage
>1 Timely Reinforcements
Creature Kill
>4 Path to Exile
>4 Lightning Bolt
>2 Lightning Helix
>2 Anger of the Gods
Counterspells
>2 Spell Snare
>2 Mana Leak
>2 Remand
>1 Logic Knot
Cantrips
>4 Serum Visions
>3 Ancestral Vision
Lands
>4 Flooded Strand
>3 Scalding Tarn
>3 Arid Mesa
>2 Steam Vents
>1 Hallowed Fountain
>1 Sacred Foundry
>3 Celestial Colonnade
>1 Sulfur Falls
>2 Island
>2 Plains
>1 Mountain
>1 Ghost Quarter

Sideboard:
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Rest in Peace
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Stony Silence
2 Crumble to Dust
1 Negate
1 Dispel
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Blessed Alliance
1 Celestial Purge
1 Wear // Tear

I still don't know why I'm playing just 1 GQ. The innistrad block lighthouse that loots instead? I've got 7 white fetchlands with 2 basic plains because blood moon decks are running rampant on cockatrice.

RIPs and Surgicals for GY decks
Surgical is good in a lot of matchups
Stony Silence for Affinty
Stony and Crumble for Tron
Negate and Dispel for blue mirrors and decks where I need to stop specific noncreature threats. Thinking about another Negate but I don't know what to cut for it.
Supreme Verdict for creature decks.
Blessed Alliance for Burn and Infect.
Celestial Purge obviously comes in against anything with R/B problem permanents, mostly Jund.
Wear // Tear gets sided in against Affinty and anything else that would have Artifacts/Enchantments that I don't want on the battlefield.

I want to add Keranos, Geist, Staticaster, a second Negate, Wear // Tear and a third Surgical. Any suggestions?

Can someone explain how KTK/BFZ manabase worked when it was in standard?

>frontier question
get out

What is there to explain? You use the colours you need to cast spells

Is there a 2GB creature that's good in Jund to go with 1 main deck Huntmaster and 1 SB Olivia?

Blood Moon
Kalitas
Pia
Demigod of Revenge

Speaking about BR. How is BR eldrazi?

Thrun, Kalitas, Arlin Kord, Gonti
or this spicy gal

You use the fetch lands to find the battle lands.

There aren't any good ones.

I'll make Reaper of the Wilds work one day though.

To elaborate on this rage, D&T is generally mono white and abuses flicker effects. Hatebears is usually G/W and wants to curve out harder with stuff like loxodon smiter & gilt-leaf leige

any fun control decks I can play in modern without buying scalding tarns

Martyr Proc
Lantern Control

Esper control or D&T?

Fun for whom?

Lantern control is for me the most interesting and fun control deck in modern.

uwb D&T
-
1 adarkar wastes
1 eiganjo castle
1 eldrazi temple
4 ghost quarter
3 hallowed fountain
3 glacial fortress
1 godless shrine
1 watery grave
1 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
5 plains
1 island

4 leonin arbiter
4 tidehollow sculler
4 thalia, guardian of thraben
4 flickerwisp
3 meddling mage
3 eldrazi displacer
2 blade splicer
2 spell queller
2 judge's familiar
1 brimaz, king of oreskos
1 geist of saint traft

4 path to exile

4 aether vial
sb:
2 sundering growth
1 hurkyl's recall
1 mulldrifter
1 reflector mage
2 vendilion clique
2 stony silence
2 dryad militant
4 yixlid jailer

I like this spicy meme

Why only 1 eldrazi temple with 3 displacers?

I' a prision player. I play mud, eldrazi and enchantress on vintage. But lantern does not have a way to finish the game fast. TKS and Lodestone golem Beats mean a hard clock. But lantern is just wait till time

i always feel confident with one eldrazi temple...never had so much troubles due to the only copy, death and taxes is not a deck that need so much mana to spend each turn...also the hard work is frequently done by the aether vial...

Martyr Proc sounds neat but Lanten control just sounds painful to play as and against

I would call these out if I saw them IRL

You have gotten into a conversation with some guy about modern and he says that he thinks fetchlands should be banned. How do you respond or argue against his points?

Hard mode: You can't call him a retard and tell him to fuck off.

That sb is str8 garbo but I like the deck.

open to suggestion

As the pilot lantern control is as "control" as they come. You are the master of everything and have to make choices (often between to bad outcomes) as to what your opponent can and cannot have. It's actually pretty fun if you try it.

It also gets very fun when you get wins because the opponent is just super tilted and scoops after 10 turns on lock.

>Where my Grixis Delver niggas at

What's up my nigga

Jim Davis did pretty well with Delver during this last SCG tournament and rekt BBD a new one

What are your decklists like? I run the Pyromancer version, and am thinking of putting some Countersqualls in the mainboard. Meta is a lot of Jund, Affinity, and Infect so Tier 1. Haven't seen too much dredge but I still run some Surgical Extraction in the side.

How viable is esper controlor UW control in paper. Trying to decide between going UW spirits then upgrading to Bant or playing non-spirits esper

>can't win a game of modern
>win every game of standard
whats this feel /mtg/?