Aether Revolt Spoilers

Ajani, the Unyielding 4GW
Planeswalker - Ajani
[+2]: Reveal the top three cards of your library. Put all nonland permanent cards revealed this way into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
[-2]: Exile target creature.Its controller gains life equal to its power.
[-9]: Put five +1/+1 counter on each creature you control and five loyalty counters on each other planeswalker you control.
[4]

Thoughts?

Source?

YA BOI AJANI
>CARD ADVANTAGE IN WHITE
>SWORDS TO PLOWSHARES
>YOU FUCKIN WOT M8

I kind of like it. It's kind of high cost but it's in my colors. Can't wait to see him put the smackdown on Tezz

Comic Con spoiler.

6 CMC is a lot, but the effects are pretty powerful. I don't know if it will see any Tier 1 play. Which deck would this slot into?

None of them.

Too expensive for aggro decks, and control decks don't care about the +2.
Maybe a midrange deck that grinds games out with value? I dunno.

This is a pure EDH superfriends card

This guy seems kinda shit, that's disappointing.

Ult doesn't even win games while every other walker in Standard is basically at that point.

The +5/+5 on literally everything you have is good for Midrange, though.

Only downside is it's activated in four turns minimum, 3 if you have Oath of Gideon on board. That's an ample amount of time to face removal. But the +2 still makes it worth playing, I feel. Up to three playable cards tops is nothing to scoff at.

I like him but i can see why he might turn out to be mediocre.

Maybe midrange will see a comeback in order to play this walker in?

Otherwise its going to be a Superfriends all-star.

+2 Dig for more walkers
-2 Play a Legacy card
+9 Ulti all my walkers GG?

He will see no play because Ishkana sees lots.

Looks like EDH fodder.

Yeah, I was thinking he would work well in a Karametra Creature Ramp deck. His +2 gives you creatures and other cards, and Karametra gets the lands out from the bottom of your deck and onto the field.

it doesn't draw instants or sorceries, you retard

He's quite a bit worse than Garruk, Caller of Beasts.
>Karametra gets the lands out from the bottom of your deck and onto the field
As if it matters whether the land you search for is on the top or bottom.

God damn it.

No, see, if Karametra is on the field, what you want to be drawing is Creatures more than anything else, playing multiple cheap 1 or 2 drops on to the field, getting land cards out for each, building up the Landfall effects, and then next turn you drop your Craterhoof or other big card and decimate your opponent.

I was thinking he would be naya.

>No, see, if Karametra is on the field, what you want to be drawing is Creatures more than anything else
Why did you say no then proceed to agree with me that Caller of Beasts is better?

>6 drop
>can't protect itself or win game by self like Elspeth or higher CMC walkers like Ugin
Worthless.

name is a little off. pretty much every spoiler site has this one

Did they just re-interpret the name "Ajani Steadfast"?

We won't know the actual name until Wizards reveals it. Names tend to change a bit during spoiler season. Remember Demon of Shady Schemes?

>Digger of Unrevealed Truths

>Can't protect itself
>Exile target creature
Hm.

Midnight Oil was something really different.
Bedlam Reveler was reveler in italian, de caos

Live Fast and Die Hard
are Carpe Diem and something meaning time is fleeting

Since you guys are probably standard guys, how do frontier manabases work?

Do I just fetch for basics, then the duals?

Fetches
>4 Bloodstained Mire
>4 Flooded Strand
>4 Polluted Delta
Duals
>2 Sunken Hollow
>1 Prairie Stream
>1 Smoldering Marsh
Basics
>2 Mountain
>1 Island
>1 Plains
>1 Swamp
Always tap
>2 Shambling Vent
>3 Mystic Monastery

Fuck that shitty format.

At a negative to it's loyalty cost. Ugin is good because he can bolt while still going up. Elspeth is good because she can make 3 tokens to clog the field while still going up. Lili last hope and Jace Telepath can lower the attack of opponent's creatures while still going up. Gideon can make a token while keeping himself at 4.
Can you see how dropping Ajani to 2 so you can swords to plowshares a creature is different here?

By that logic LotV's bad.

LotV costs 3 mana. Ajani costs 6.

A 1BB edict is 'acceptable' if Lili gets dead the turn after.
A 4GW sorcery speed swords to plowshares is not. They could print that and it wouldn't see play.

Big mana walkers need some way to protect themselves or your deck needs to have plenty of ways to protect them.

Is this Ajani the return of GW tokens without hangarback?

Oath / Traverse
Selfless Spirit / Sylvan Advocate / Lambholt
Nissa / Tracker
Gideon
Avacyn / Ishakanah / Green Gearhulk
Ajanai

>A 1BB edict is 'acceptable' if Lili gets dead the turn after.
Depends what kills her. If it's a Bolt, you're up value.

I'd fuck him

Can we get Ajani Goldmane or Vengeant back please? And not unplayable jank walkers?

This.

If Swords to Plowshares also made them discard a card, but cost an extra 4G, it wouldn't see play.

If a creature kills Ajani, sucks. I'm not saying it WON'T see play, 6 CMC sorin saw play and his + is draw cards and - kill things. It'll just need the right shell.

Nice meme, trips!

>control decks don't care about the +2.
>The most close we will have to a brainstorm ability
>Card advantage
>Control decks don't want that
The card is bad, but not for That. Pls kys

It puts all your instants/sorceries on the bottom, dude.

So JtMS, Nahiri, Nicol Bolas, and Karn, who can also only defend themselves with their minus ability are bad planeswalkers?

I'm not even arguing whether or not the card is good or not, I'm just pointing out that your claim 'can't protect itself' is verifably false and implying that you are a faggot. Good work moving those goalposts though.

His +2 is the same as Narset's +2, it's got a chance to completely whiff

-2 kills one creature which is nice, but the curretn Sorin has a -x that can kill Planeswalkers too

-9 is nice but only really breaks open stalled out board states.

>JTMS
overrated trash. Getting unbanned next year and blue will still be ass in modern.
>Nahiri
cheating out emrakul is hardly removal. bitch never uses her minus anyway
>Bolas
overcosted trash. Game ends before he even comes out
>Karn
Karn is actually good because you can get him out turn 3. He wouldn't see play if urzalands didn't exist.

Looks like he's there for a midrange deck. Dunno what deck he can slot into though.
My only complaint is he should have starting 5 loyalty or his ult should be -8.

>control decks care about creatures

based retard

>cue everyone getting plowed by large muscular cat-person
Just like in my chinese cartoons!

Mind Sculptor's biggest issue was that Alara rotating out removed a lot of good anti-Planeswalker tech, some of which really needed to be reprinted. Back that up with a couple decent counters, a cheap creature that finds more copies of itself, an equipment tutor, and a way to untap your lands in any color, and you have a problem. Also only four mana.
Nahiri helps you find the cards that defend her as a plus ability. Also only four mana.
Bolas is garbage that exists only for casual play, where he is super cool.
Karn was mediocre in standard and only sees play in modern because Urza lands.

Ah okay, so all planeswalkers are trash except Ugin and Elspeth. Truly I was blind before but now I see.

It's not just abilities that determine whether a walker is good or not you mong. The CMC is extremely relevant as well. Say you took LotV's abilities and slapped her on a 6 CMC body with 4 loyalty. She wouldn't see play.

If you're honest to god comparing TMS to this new Ajani I don't know what to tell you. Bolas is a shit walker for anything outside of kitchen table and EDH.

>Mind Sculptor'sbiggest issue was that Alara rotating out removed a lot of good anti-Planeswalker tech [...]. Back that up with a couple decent counters, a cheap creature that finds more copies of itself, an equipment tutor, and a way to untap your lands in any color, and you have a problem.
Fascinating. So I guess in formats where you still have that good anti-Planeswalker tech, like, Legacy for example, he wouldn't be anything more than useless jank.

He's still good, just not format-warping

>What is hatebears
>What is death and taxes
Scrubs

This is closer to the truth than you think.

To continue on with this if you put this new Ajani's abilities on a 3 CMC body, he's be absurd and would definitely see play. The point I was driving at before you seemingly intentionally avoided it is that if a walker is going to be a late game 6+ drop, or even 5 drop it better be able to win the game by itself or at the very least protect itself. Why do you think a lot of heavy drop walkers, things like Vraska, Gideon Jura, Lili Vess, Sarkhan Unbroken, and more saw almost no play?

>Veeky Forums is wrong about Chandra, Lili and Tamiyo

>they are, again, wrong about Ajani.

he will see play, he is great, and its always funny to see you faggots say shit that is wrong.

It's part green so it's less exciting that it's card advantage. If it was mono white that'd be something else. They are trying though.

>Descend Upon the Fishermen

>Wrong about chandra and tamiyo.
They are shit outside standard, that means any important format

To this day I'm baffled anyone could fuck up a translation as simple as that.

>that means any important format

(Citation needed)

Are you implying that standard, limited, or edh are important formats?

Standard is the most important format to wizards, followed by draft. EDH is the most important format for the majority of players.

Vintage is dead. Legacy will suffer the same fate if no changes are made soon (ABUR duals need to be made obsolete or redundant, and they have already been willing to reprint staples like fow).

Modern is one special kid and is on life support.

>Standard is the most important format to wizards
Irrelevant, is just a shit of a format
>Draft
You mean watered down yu gi oh
>Edh
Non-competitive shit.
Play some real formats baby

>I don't like these formats therefore nobody in the world does, and if they do their subjective opinion is wrong

Standard and draft sell product. EDH and Modern sell less product. Vintage and Legacy sell almost no product. Guess which one Wizards loves best?

>It's irrelevant because I don't like.

You don't know how business work do you?