What game/system feature simple and dangerous combat?

What game/system feature simple and dangerous combat?

One where fighting is always a risk, extra points for non OSR games

Into the Odd. There is a Hack called Maze Rats that is meant for fantasy, but the original is good enough, just put spells instead of arcana

Realms of Atlantsia.

Ironclaw 2nd edition has god combat. Homebrew to remove furry if you are casual.

I meant to say 'good' not 'god' but fuck, it's great.

WHFRP and GURPS.

BRP/Runequest. Later systems are more complex but RQ2 is as simple as rolling a d100 and quite deadly.

The Riddle of Steel, duh.

underrated post

rip sir suicide

Traveller

This. Traveller is not a game in which you engage in combat lightly.

The answer will always be GURPS.

This. damage applied directly to your stats. One good hit without armor and you're unconscious.

At least he didn't actually kill himself, unlike certain others.

Atlantsia or Atlantis? care to provide pdf?

Care to describe what exactly makes it so great? I've heard it brought up a couple of times. How does it work, and what's the big thing that makes it so good?

>Riddle of Steel
>Simple

>Excuse me sir knight, wait a while as I go through these fifty subsystems, all of my fuckton of stats and all situational modifiers and rules so that we might proceed with this fucking shitstorm of verisimilitude and pointless complexity!

Traveller is sci-fi right?

Twilight 2000

That's not simple.

Neither is love, but do you see me complaining?

Palladium/Rifts
Combat is very lethal. Its active so you and the foes can dodge, parry, counter strike.
Palladium is great

Yes

>Excuse me sir knight, wait a while as I go through these fifty subsystems
>all of my fuckton of stats and all situational modifiers
I see you've never played it. Please, name one subsystem besides grappling (which is still miles better and faster than most games) and fuckton of modifiers. You do know about Winding and Binding, right?

how does a combat from this game go?

Combat is a series of contested rolls between fighters. In the first round they choose whether to act aggressively for the kill or defensively. Aggressor takes the initiative, acts first and his strikes land first which is a big advantage. Defender can try to break from a fight and escape. If all sides choose to be aggressors it's likely to end in messy mutual kill.

After that fighters declare their actions (attack, feint, counter, parry, evasion, etc) against specific enemy and assign dice from dice pools to roll for each action. They roll dice for each action and count successes. Whoever has more successes wins the contest and hits an enemy, dodges incoming attack, knocks opponent down, etc. The more successes you get over your opponent the better. Combat is fairly dangerous and can end in one good strike and surrender or clean decapitation.

It was designed for sci-fi, yes. However, it does have varying tech levels, and does include swords, shields, and some medieval armor. You could do a fantasy setting with Traveller, though there are probably better alternatives.

Since there's two actions per round and the person with the advantage (Ie; last successful roll) is on the offensive, there's quite a bit of risk in how you allocate your CP, as if you cock up an all-in on the first phase you will probably die.

Apocalypse World.

Can someone tell me more about ironclaw?

What is Ironclaw? We just don't know.

If you're implying Traveller could be used for fantasy then that's a terrible idea.

It has everything needed, except a magic system (though psionics can partially cover some of that). There are better options, but it is at least possible.

Yeah but trying to adapt Traveller to fantasy would be like trying to adapt D&D to sci-fi. There are so many better options out there, and this is coming from someone that loves Traveller.

The Sigil System. It's lethal as fuck and got the same d100-roll under as Dark Heresy.

Hadn't heard of it

Pendragon

It's on DriveThru. Made by that user who made that mathy runic magic system.

Just avoid any D100 systesms.

At least in the latest Mongoose edition you can no longer die in character creation, unlike Classic Traveler.

Strike! with hardcore recovery rules and a vindicative DM using a fuckload of the striker/blaster premade monsters.

Seconding this. Based on the same system I can also recommend Pendragon.

If I remember right, Classic Traveller was the only edition where that was a core rule. And even then, it was only in the first printing - it was removed in later printings.

Despite what some people think, dying in character generation hasn't been a core part of Traveller since almost the very beginning (though it has been an optional rule).