Latest News

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread Which UA Fighter archetype are you most excited to play as?

what's the biggest thing you've ever fought?

Can't wait for this thread to be all arguing fighter UA too!

Fuck, already?

Knight. Arcane archer is cool but needs adjustment so it scales better. Sure their "maneuvers" deal a bit more damage than BM but BMs get 4 per rest to start with, and more later. Samurai seems almost as strong as Knight but I'm not a weeb. Sharpshooter is... mainly meh. Something that you get from the feat anyway, plus a bit more damage, three times per rest?

Just rolled stats for a new char, the lightning thing did not work out so at this point I am open to anything. I want help using these good stats :)

Stats: 16 15 15 12 11 9

>Which UA Fighter archetype are you most excited to play as?
Arcane Archer, I really liked the subclass, it's my fav gish right now, I just wanted you had more magic arrows /rest....

Samurai. Looks like it's built to survive shit and make dramatic last stands. I'm a huge sucker for that.

Knight is great, too, for a front line leader-ish type character.

Knight is pretty boss. My GM doesn't allow UA because most of it is imbalanced shit, but if I play with someone else I'd love to try that. I dislike the overlap with sentinel but eh, marking is cool.
Second place would go to Samurai for a low level game, SS and AA are kind of shit desu.

Knight seems like a fantastic unstoppable tank. Wade into combat getting everyone's attention, probably have heavy armor master to improve survivability.

Dragon turtle

took a handful of ships with harpoons and a spellcaster on a hot air balloon to kill it

My line of thinking when creating it(in case you're the undead patron warlock guy) was to create something similar to Necromancers(WIz), but to have an identity entirely to itself. So if you wish to create a warlock necromancer, try that sort of avenue for ideas. Something like corrupting stuff or spreading your patron's influence.

Knight. 4e Marking makes its glorious return.

I pitted a party against a spinosaurus from Tome of Beasts, which showed up in their path fighting a T-Rex.

As in size wise, or challenge wise? Strahd is the toughest, I guess the Gulthias tree technically the largest.

Also Arcane Archer looks fun as fuck, hopefully it's AL legal before I hit level 5 in the next season though I doubt that'll happen.

>it's built to survive shit
survive for 3 turns

One every Monday for "the coming months".

Did you sleep for the last 4 weeks or something user?

I think it's kind of weird how they have several "you use your reaction but not really" features

New thread already, I mean.

Kind of enough to ensure, say, a retreat for the party. On top of Second Wind, and heavy armor + shield, and possibly Heavy Armor Master, it's decent.

>New thread already, I mean.
Bump limit was reached already

Time flies by when you're shitposting and witnessing a UA launch live

Gish it up with wizard 2 to get Absorb elements and shield to make them even tankier.

Normal human is pretty good with that array. Increases the modifier for 4 stats.

If it's arranged in stat order, barbarian is best. If is not and you can put the numbers in any attribute, you can play whatever the fuck you want user.

i just meant difficulty. lemme lookup strahd. never played that campaign.

that sounds tight.

At least the new UA wasn't just battlemaster variants with fey training and anti undead features.

I'm glad they moved away from superiority die this UA. I think all the other fighter UAs involved them

It is not in array order.

But I dont know what I want to play :S

I liked this UA, the subclasses just need some adjustment in their scale and it will be great

battle master with fey training? wich one?

I want to play a Knight so fucking bad right now. Instead, I'm forced to play a fucking bladelock because I made some bad decisions and don't want to back down on them. Life is suffering.

Kill off the character

have your character walk off into the sunset

have your patron call upon your character for a pressing matter

etc

easy

He's satirizing the Druid one

>u r fey and don't get sleeped
>u scare undeads
>u summon rabbits

What is the most fun way to play a paladin? Is it best to do another class for full caster smites? What shuld I do?

Sorcadin. Go paladin 2, sorcerer the rest of the way. Smite fools in combat and shit spells when you feel like it, smite forever.

Going to play samurai and just RP knight. They are essentially the same except for focus of tank v damage

Dex, defense fighting style, dual scimitars, elf it up. What are you, heterosexual?

Personally I like going Paladin/Swashbuckler with Magic Initiate for GFB and Booming Blade.

5 minute short rest master race.

I don't want to stifle my players, but how can I make my sessions more serious and more dramatic? I've only played DnD twice (both as DM) and both times were full of belly laughs all around, which isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but I'd like to be able to set different moods as well.

thats a common error, you only use smite when you want someone or something go down fucking fast.
Mind that the paladin is the GISH.
All of their spells are for glorius melee combat, take a look at the paladin spells, they will tell you how you must play..

What classes for an all-Eladrin adventure?

>Ancients paladin
>Bow fighter
>Cleric of nature
>Bladesinger wizard
>Archfey warlock

>not doing 5 minute long rests, 1 action short rests
Look at this scrub

Does a Thief (Or any other class with "climbing doesn't halve movement") need to make a check to climb trees/walls/etc?

My encounter design can't handle that, senpai.

straight Paladin until level 11, take PAM

but if you're playing in a normal campaign, still I'd say just go pure pally.

This is dumb. Smites cap at 4th level castings. You'd only have one attack, if you didn't go Favored Soul (which is not official)

a 2 Pally 18 FS could be neat. But then, if we're talking about anything within the boundary of reality, you will never make it anywhere near level 20.

if you were a level 5 character and were 2 pally 3 sorc you'd suck ass. No extra attack, and you'd only have one more 2nd level spell slot over a level 5 Paladin.

Since 99% of games go from like level 1-8, it's just best to stick pure single class unless you have major synergy like a sorclock

Depends on the DM. Checks for climbing are generally only required on surfaces that are difficult to climb, like a flat brick wall or a sheer cliff. Something like a tree with branches or a mortared wall that has decent handholds would likely require no check.

Just make literally every single encounter deadly-rated, where some are "super-deadly."

can someone please clarify this part of the knight subclass for me? or give an example?

>You can make this special attack even if you have already expended your reaction this round, but not if you have already used your reaction this turn.

>1+4e
>not doing 3 encounters per round

That's a shit thing to do, as a player.

You can't use it on a turn where you used you reaction, but you can use it on any other turn this round.

He's got a point.

>Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.
I never wrote so much in a survey, but I hated so much Druids' UA that I had to do it

>arcane archer gets to use their class ability twice per rest until level 15

The fuck?

>You can only make this special attack once against a given creature within a turn.

Unmarked dude's turn. Moves away. Opportunity attack. Used reaction that turn.
Marked dude's turn. Moves away. Opportunity attack.

does the Noble Calvary give the 2 proficiencies and the language? it says alternatively which makes me think you have to choose, but I feel like it'd oddly worded.

Next we have to tell WotC that this is ridiculous

You can use it on a creature's turn even if you already used your reaction, but never more than once on a given turn.

Just remember that "turn" and "round" are not synonymous.

No it's not.

You are there to have fun. If you are not having fun with your character, or could be having more fun with a different character, then do something about it.

Your GM would have to be a real cunt to say "no, you picked this class so you have to stay this class because I say so I don't care if you're not enjoying it". If your GM is actually like that then leave that group

>not using free action long rests

Yeah, shit's getting adjusted for PHB2.

Every creature has a turn in a round, you can't use it multiple times on a creature's turn.

Example

Orc 1 and Orc 2 surround Knight
Orc 1 procs the reaction attack, cannot use it again until Orc 1's turn is over.
Orc 2 procs the reaction attack, cnanot use it again until Orc 2's turn is over.

>using actions

Nah senpai, all the druid circles were solid. A solid healer, a solid buffer and summoner, and a solid blaster, all of them with great flavor.

>one shot with arch-mages as high level wizards/sorcs/etc that have unlimited spells

could b fun

What

>having turns

I bet you don't even play Dungeon World

running a one shot wherein the players are extremely powerful magic users that have unlimited spells could be fun

>A solid healer
It's shit compared to Life domain, and all other features except for the level 10 ability were weak

>a solid buffer
This is the only one I got satisfied

>a solid blaster
It deal necrotic damage to kill undead. And Land druids are better blasters because they have more spells per day

On one hand, 2d6 damage + fairly useful effects (apart from Grasping Arrow) is a lot more impressive than the other level 3 skills at level 3. The issue is that it scales terribly, and you and practically you won't learn more than four arcane shots in most campaigns.

how is the Forge Domain?

I wanna make a Hammerite

At that point why would you not just go Bearbarian.

Domain's spell list and early level features are great, pretty strong

How is that related to your quoted post tho

Granted, you probably won't need more than four. Piercing is all you really need for damage, Seeking is quirky utility, and the rest are all just various ways to get enemies to be worse at attacking.

Fucking mental, m8.

Dreams has an extra healing resource that also gives a slight speed buff, and it can make any rest super-safe. At high levels its healing spells have an automatic dispel magic on them. It's good.

And the Twilight circle gets an extra damage resource it can put against everyone that heals on a kill, with an extra benefit against undead. It's fine.

>At high levels its healing spells have an automatic dispel magic on them
Arcane cleric get the same thing at level 6 tho

>It's fine
I dunno man, everything looks weak compared to moon druids. But I think maybe the problem is the base class

>It's shit compared to Life domain

user this is just really stupid to say, I hope you understand that.

Yes the Fey Druid isn't as good of a healer as a Life Domain Cleric. Thing is - it doesn't need to be. It's a Druid with some healing ability. It still has wildshape and all that druid shit, and gets stuff other than just healing from the archetype.

Life Domain Cleric is 100% dedicated to healing and little else.

Also the Fey druid's healing is pretty fucking sweet, as it's a bonus action. You basically have no-slot-required Healing Words on demand.

Saying that the fey druid is shit cause it doesn't heal as well as life cleric is like saying paladin is shit because it doesn't fight as well as a fighter

really fucking strong.

some people didn't like the CD but I fucking love it. I don't know about you lads, but I rarely find that the party just gets the opportunity to stroll into the giant city and have a shopping day. The lich always needs slaying, demon lord needs banishing etc

so, the martials and semi-martials that depend on gear fall even further behind if the GM isn't good on allowing them the opportunity to purchase shit or loot good shit of enemies.

All a Forge Cleric needs to create something are items worth the value of that something. So if you have a shit ton of chainmail, old swords, shields etc you've looted off gobbos and orcs and bandits just gathering dust in the bag of holding, your Forge Cleric can actually turn that into armor and shit that the martials need.

oh and even despite the CD it's stupid good

Guys. Guys. Guys, Arcana cleric can dispel a spell on an ally they heal. What if you could dispel a spell on an enemy that fails a save? Would it be OP?

So for a small ranged fighter (Goblin in my case) who would be better, Arcane Archer or Sharpshooter.

With only a shortbow your dps wouldn't be very good as a Arcane Archer but you still get the utility of the Arcane Arrows.

Sharpshooter with a light crossbow would still have really good dps and scales good with your level. (Sharpshooter at 20 with haste, in the first round, using actions surge does 11 attacks, dealing 220 extra damage in that one turn if every attack would hit)

It's not about the GM, or fun. I said that I will play the bladelock until he is dead, and I will not back down my decision. It's a matter of honor and principle.

Assassin?

Well assassin is not a fighter

>if you were a level 5 character and were 2 pally 3 sorc you'd suck ass. No extra attack, and you'd only have one more 2nd level spell slot over a level 5 Paladin.

But you would have green flame blade and its all upside from that point on?

>dispel a spell on an enemy that fails a save?

what

neither? I'd say battlemaster is still the best archer. Take Sharpshooter, something that every archer will take, and a lot of the Sharpshooter archetype's stuff is rendered redundant. Take Close Quarters shooter as your fighting style for pretty much a completely redundant archetype.

light crossbow would need xbow expert.

can Gobbos not use longbows?

>AA does not even have a new feature at 10th

>Fey Druid isn't as good of a healer as a Life Domain Cleric
I think I would be fine if the heal was a d8

>gets stuff other than just healing from the archetype.
Yeah, but, I want your honest opinion, do you think the level 6 ability is worthy it's slot alone? It seems a little weak to me, maybe in game it's better, maybe you could sell it to me, but right now, I don't see it as really worthy.

The level 10 ability is really, I will give you that, but most of the time we don't get to high levels. I think it's stupid the level 14 feature be almost the same than the level 6 arcane domain

>Saying that the fey druid is shit cause it doesn't heal as well as life cleric is like saying paladin is shit because it doesn't fight as well as a fighter
I agree with you, but I don't think druids are that strong, so I think the subclasses should give more

>a shit ton of chainmail, old swords, shields etc you've looted off gobbos and orcs and bandits
While I'm not sure people actually use this, in the PHB it says monsters' items are worth basically nothing and even if it's not destroyed or heavily used it's going to be worth half the selling price.

>>dispel a spell on an enemy that fails a save?
>what
When you cast a spell targeting one creature, if it has to make a save against the spell and fails that save, end one spell of your choice on the creature which is of equal to or lower level than the spell you cast

I mean. As a DM I'd allow the use of monster weapons for forge domain CD.

Makes more sense then turning 75 gold coins into studded leather.

If only there were some way to mend damaged gear. Maybe a cantrip of sorts.

RAW I don't think Mending works that way but all the DMs I've had have basically said Mending can repair damaged gear, as long as you still have all the pieces to glue back together. so, for example, you can stitch chainmail back together but can't replace missing links in the mail with it.

Would allowing someone to take a single Extra Attack in place of an ASI as a non-martial class be stupid?

>can Gobbos not use longbows?
Nope. Longbows are heavy weapons.

But I think Sharpshooter deals more nova damage than a battle master at higher levels. Just see what I wrote in brackets, I don't think Battle Master can compete with that damage.

Also he is a DMPC so I want him to be as simple as possible. Arcane Archer and Sharpshooter require less thinking and input from the player than Battlemaster.

Extra attack is huge, I don't think you're appreciating it.

It's not just more damage, it's

>another chance to hit
>the ability to attack multiple targets, if you kill your target with your first attack you can run over and attack a different target
>another chance to crit and deal a fuckton of damage with smite
>another chance to Smite

GFB will alleviate your damage. If there is an enemy 5ft of your target it's arguably better than having two attacks for sure.

but by and large it won't be better than having an extra attack.

you are also delaying ASIs, and will be missing out on Paladin's level 6 (one of the best abilities in the game) and paladin's level 7 (also really good, ancients pally gets half damage from all magic ffs)

multi-classing only really works at higher levels. if you're starting at level 1, doing a multi-class like pally sorc is pretty rough.

Why not just make Extra Attack a Feat then.

And then it'd probably still be best on a Fighter to be honest family.

>arcane archer
>sharpshooter
>not Ranger subclasses

Hoo boy, why even have the Ranger class at all wizards?

But why?