So if war hammer 40k is based upon the sci-fi and fantasy literature from the '70s, '80s and '90s...

So if war hammer 40k is based upon the sci-fi and fantasy literature from the '70s, '80s and '90s, like Dune and Starship Troopers, what would 40k look like if it had been based off of modern sci-fi and fantasy literature?

Far shittier.
Hell, modern 40k is already shittier in the modern day.

It would be called Eclipse Phase

It would be destiny but with FAR more lore put into its factions.

That sounds breddy gud.

>what would 40k look like if it had been based off of modern sci-fi and fantasy literature?

Age of Sigmar in space

and more transhumanism probably.

Infinity?

everybody's master chief.

I had a big long thing typed up, but honestly, modern 40k would just be garbage. Take your favorite thing about 40K and ruin it and make it as bland as artistically possible, and you're done. You've modernized it.

>things were better when I was a kid :(

What modern scifi exists now anyway?

Only scifi books I know from the last decade are so are all derivative works of other scifi stuff.

most of us weren't even born yet in the 70's

I genuinely think that most art has improved and that you will find better movies, novels, cartoons, and TV now than at any other time (assuming that you care to look).

But modern sci-fi suuuuucks. And it started sucking before I was born. There's still some good stuff, but most of it is shit. Even more so than it used to be.

Well humanity wouldn't be led by a largely white ruling class and warriors that's for sure.

>from the last decade are so are all derivative works of other scifi stuff.

so? doesn't mean its bad.

Shit.

It would be Tau themed.

it does mean that sources of inspirations are dwindling.

Everyone would be sixteen different genders and interstellar wars would be waged over pronouns

He said based on modern sci-fi, not modern reality.

It just means authors and movie studios are lazy shits. They'd rather remake an old movie and milk nostalgia than make something new because the former has a higher chance of making them money.

... Hrm.

Things would be sleeker and have a curvier aesthetic. Less original x-box (for spess mahrheens), more iPhone.

Religion would probably be far les important, the future would be 'souless' and atheistic but non-threateningly multi-cultural.

The big enemy would probably be corporatism, or maybe a shitty attempt at starfish aliens.

More human factions.

More transhumanism.

So probably this.

>sci-fi and fantasy literature from the '70s, '80s and '90s
>like Dune and Starship Troopers
>Published respectively 1965 and 1959.
>I do not have a face for this

I apologise, that was not exactly my brightest moment.

On the same premise as OP, I wonder, what would war hammer fantasy look like if it were based on modern fantasy like mistborn, malazan book of the fallen and ASOIF rather than classic fantasy like Lord of the Rings, the Elric Saga and Conan?

1 or 2 monsters among all human armies, because elves and dwarves are almost non-existant in modern popular fantasy.