The players are magic items

So I've had this idea bouncing around for a while to run a adventure where the players are sentent magic items that each dominant their weilders to adventure themselves. The players would be able to get a new weilders if the old one died and they'd be able to trick people they are fighting into weilding them so they could possess new and exciting creatures.
The thing is this feels like fairly untested ground so i dont know any of the pit falls or dangers and I was wondering if anyone had done this before or had ideas and suggestions.

If anyone was wondering about the system I'd planned on using a rules lite D&D hack like "The Black Hack."
Just so the rules have the feel of D&D, which my players are used to, but I don't have to get too bogged down in complex rules for magic item creation or anything like that.

I'm gonna start out by having a magic item generation session. That way we can discuss ideas and make sure people have the same level of power rather than some arbitrary level I've set

how about a magic scroll?

So something like Everyone is John, but each one is a different item that's worn by the character instead?
Like, one guy is the cursed sword, the other is the divine ring +1, and That Guy is the codpiece with a convenient hinge? And they're all worn by the same guy?

They'd all be worn by separate adventurerers.

So the game would play much like a normal game of D&D with each of them playing a character except their consciousness is stored in the item.

Now that I've writen that down it actually sounds more like they are all playing Liches, since the item they are playing is similar to a phylactery in function

No. What you're basically talking about is a possession campaign, where the PCs play as ghosts which possess various NPCs. Cue reference to countless TV shows and movies featuring body possession, if you're stuck for ideas.

That they're magic items rather than ghosts will simplify matters, since you won't have to deal with incorporeality.

Off the top of my head, the issue with this adventure is that you'll need to ensure that every NPC has a stat sheet. If you're playing it with simplified D&D that could be easy enough, but it depends how much work you're willing to put into it.

Also get ready to ask questions about taking control of dragons, and how to maintain relative parity between the players when they could lose their host if a battle goes poorly.

How to find a new host if their current host dies, how to decide whether they can take over a new host, and what it means if they fail to take over the new host, what happens with sunder attempts, and what happens in an anti-magic field are all concerns.

The host issue can be sorta handwaved, honestly. The possession issue is a bigger concern. Are they just gonna go for the biggest, baddest thing they find to possess, immediately searching out dragons, then gods? If their choices are mostly humanoids of comparable level with humans but with neato different abilities, that's fine as well.

>taking control of dragons
dragons cant HOLD things so they cant WEIDL. them. idiot.

Cool ideas, the idea for possession thing will help alot, i think there is a world of darkness book that would have some advice for that.

I was going to use a simple charisma check for possession, failure would mean you are used as per the normal magic item rules until the next day or something forces a second check

Are you drunk?

>Not being some cute little witche's spell book
> not having her write notes in me during class
> not having her take me to bed and read over me during the long hours night
> Not having her lick her fingers to turn my pages
> not having her sleep with me in her arms

Why live?

I expect that YOU'RE probably not serious, but this happens too often on tg for there to not be a notable population that is non-figuratively all about this.

Yeah! Fuck those WEIDL faggots right in their faces!

Let's combine these concepts a bit...

What would an average day in the life of a human spell-book look like? Would the person with spells tattooed all over their body be the target of kidnappings? What would lead someone to such a life? What skills would they learn?

Isn't there an RPG about this, called Wield?

I could've sworn that was like an actual pathfinder class. Like getting tattoos of commonly you spells was like thing.

Yes created by John Wick of all people

No, user. He's retarded.

W-wait what? The John Wick? I didn't even know the dude played TTRPGS if that's a yes.

Dude, definitively make the setting treasure/magic item focused. Everyone is greedy and lusts for items. That way you will always have a plausible excuse to why anyone would want to check the players out.

Also, if there's a chance of someone (or some thing!) passing by, there's a way. Or maybe you would prefer to let your players know that if they let their host die in the lost maze catacombs of no one here, well, their game is over. And this can be good.

Yes and he knows that you ran over his dog user.

I remember a similar thread.
Look at Intelligent Sword Quest on warosu, IIRC it spawned some discussion about such a campaign. The rules were mainly for magic weapons.

I would favor a table full of random characters for determining the next candidate if one dies.
This way, the player's would have to be adaptive and step out of their comfort zones.

*players.
Way to be retarded.

Is it out or still being kickstarted?

Go to bed Alex, I'm tired of your shitposting

who drew these? they look very familiar.

the creator of 'Kill Six Billion Demons'

thanks

Did that RPG get make? I like the art style...